Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GPS Programming
 "Beta" GPS software
 Graphical GPX Editor - Updated 07/2012
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 11 févr. 2008 :  13:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GPX Editor

To read, edit and write GPX files

As I didn't found any free and easy to use GPX edition program, I decided to write my own.

• Reads and writes GPX and KML Files, read NGT files

• Quick preview of tracks and waypoints

• Zoom and move the map

• Editable properties

• Merge GPX files

• Copy, delete, cut in parts, join tracks

• Reduce point number using different methods

• English, French, German and Spanish translation

DOWNLOAD

Comments and request are of course welcome.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 02 sept. 2011 10:06:21

Ads

piccolo

11 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2008 :  11:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I think you have a nice idia, i was also looking for something like this, I plot using noni gps plot but it is not nice to edit the tracks on the pda this could help.

I have a bit of trouble cutting parts of the file, it is a gpx file with no track data just points.
Go to Top of Page

iks

Belarus
80 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2008 :  16:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice program.
Hope you will not stop and fix several small bugs :)

I've noticed two yet:
1) I opened map.gpx, edited it, and when saved, name was map.gpx.gpx (with two extensions)
2) Unfortunately, program lost many significant for me tags^ fix, hdop, speed, nsat and others. Only date, coondinates and altitude was untouched. Please keep all user attributes!
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2008 :  17:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
piccolo : point editing is just at it's beginning, I'll add more features (including point addition/deletition) later.

iks :
1) That was a "feature" in early version to not overwite my test files by mistake. I'll remove it as soon as I can.
2) I didn't include them in those version, but I'll do it in the next one. Could you please make available a file with such data ? I have the code working, but didn't enable it because I couldn't test it.
Go to Top of Page

iks

Belarus
80 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2008 :  08:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
...I didn't include them in those version, but I'll do it in the next one. Could you please make available a file with such data ? I have the code working, but didn't enable it because I couldn't test it.

1. Sure, here you are: link.

2. It would be nice if there will be zoom by mouse roll in your GPS Editor

3. Also please think about very useful feature (IMHO), algorytm:
- user clicks on track itself
- all tracks points are shown
- user clicks one of the points
- point info is being displayed in bottom of the screen
- if user clicks another track point keeping down shift key, track seg must be selected and shown to user
- user deletes selected track segment by pressing "Del" key
- program deletes that seg and asks user if he wanna keep one track or make two separate
:)

Edited by - iks on 21 févr. 2008 16:30:43
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2008 :  18:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Next version will read and write the data for your waypoints, but not the speed which isn't part of the GPX standard.
2) Next version has mouse-scroll zoom
3) I'm working to add it, maybe not in the next version, but soon.
Go to Top of Page

iks

Belarus
80 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2008 :  00:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixel_K
1) why not? GPX seems to be most complete standard, so it must keep everything :)
2) when? ;)
3) thank a lot - it'll be great!
if you need smb like beta-tester, you know whom to ask! ;)
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2008 :  03:03:44  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) read the GPX documentation, no mention of speed (http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/)
2) Tell me where I can send you the next beta, or wait for the release ;)
3) Thanks, your help and suggestions are really welcome
Go to Top of Page

iks

Belarus
80 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2008 :  13:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be glad to get any betas (with short descriptions of changes).
I have many tracks and do really need often to delete some parts of them ;)

Edited by - iks on 22 févr. 2008 22:13:45
Go to Top of Page

iks

Belarus
80 Posts

Posted - 25 févr. 2008 :  08:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got your beta, thanx.

If there was any change made by user, please ask to save or not before quit.
Go to Top of Page

rtaylor

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2008 :  22:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixel,

You are correct - speed isn't in GPX 1.1. Technically it isn't necessary
since you can always recalculate speed using position and time.

There is currently some discussion on the GPX Yahoo group about adding speed
to the next revision of GPX (1.2 or 2.0). The current practice is (apparently)
that each developer adds it in their own, slightly different, way... :-\ That begs for a standard update.

One example is where Reuben Bluff added speed to GPX files written by DGManager.NET.
I have no idea if his approach is compatible with many GPX readers.

- Rich

Edited by - rtaylor on 26 févr. 2008 22:24:25
Go to Top of Page

shura_k

Russia
8 Posts

Posted - 28 févr. 2008 :  14:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
How about to add function like add waypoint, delete, eg. trace routes
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 28 févr. 2008 :  18:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iks : I'll add save/save as command, with the unsaved modification notification

shura_k : Adding a waypoint is planned, deleting is already available
Go to Top of Page

shura_k

Russia
8 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2008 :  11:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixel_K: I can pick a track, but i can't pick a track point.
Maybe because i have only track, no waypoint. Can you add function like convert track point into waypoint?
Or just capable to edit track point?
Go to Top of Page

shura_k

Russia
8 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2008 :  09:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you add capabilities to convert at once all track point to corresponding way point?
Go to Top of Page

iks

Belarus
80 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2008 :  21:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixel_K, when I tryed to zoom in the map by mousewheel, program ignored mouse cursor position

I think it would be better if GPX editor will assume that mouse cursor is over the center of the map like Google does and other programs do.
Go to Top of Page

JacekPL

Poland
17 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  11:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Pixel_K
Your development (and DGManager) inspired me to write my own application for tracks collecting in something like tracks album (in Delphi).

Beta version 0.0.3:
http://www.speedyshare.com/575339113.html

In this version user can draw tracks and waypoints on Google Map.
Now I am going to add possibilities to draw on TImage canvas (perhaps in the feature it will be raster map...).
What algorithm do you use to convert Lat and Lon values for X and Y coordinates of TImage canvas? Could you send me PM with some code used by you?

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  13:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
shura_k : I'll add this feature (No need to tell you that you have to be careful with that function, or it will result in thousands waypoints)

iks : The preview has to be selected to get the mousewheel, if not sure about it, just left-click on it before trying to zoom. I have to do that to be able to still use mouswheel in other part of the program, like the waypoint/track list.
In fact the zoom is centered, but the trace isn't, so it looks like the zoom isn't centered. I'll try to get the trace centered, but it's not top priority right now.

JacekPL : latest sources are available on My blog. I used the same homebrewed framework than in DG Manager, I only extended it a bit to store all the GPX properties. Maybe (I don't know about gpspassion's position on that) you should open another thread for your application (by the way, it asks for a midas.dll, you should provide it in your zip).
Oh and please, give deserved credit to the original authors of the code you're borrowing (myself, Reuben Bluff and Rich Taylor). It would be also nice to make it open source, so other people can learn from your code, like you did with ours. No obligation, but just a polite thing to do.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 12 mars 2008 14:00:44
Go to Top of Page

JacekPL

Poland
17 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  14:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks,
I have downloaded your sources.
Then - if I use it in my application you will be in credits of course.
Thank you also for your suggestions - you are right about midas.dll, new topic for my development and open source idea.

Edit: Pixel_K - I found myself solution for my problem, but thanks for your help - reading your sources is very exciting!
My sources are more disordered :)

So - new topic added:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108416

Edited by - JacekPL on 12 mars 2008 23:23:27
Go to Top of Page

shura_k

Russia
8 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2008 :  15:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try to uppload some tracks to OpenStreetmap server and get the error!
Wiki explain that any trackpoint and waypoint need to have the <ele> and <time> tags.
Can you add function like check the gpx files for missing tags and add it - <ele> equ 0, <time> equ file date time
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 16 mars 2008 :  08:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ele and time tags are not mandatory, those tags are not missing, including them when they are null is just a big waste of space.
I try to stick to the standard, and not corrupt the output because others do.
There's also a lot tracks on openstreetmap that lack an ele tag, so they arbitrarily changed their submission rules over the time if they request it now.
If you want I can add an option for you (post 0.0.37), but please, do me a favor and ask openstreetmap to support ele-less and time-less tracks, as it's useless for their purpose to enforce those tags, and it will be pointless if the data they contain is faked.
Go to Top of Page

shura_k

Russia
8 Posts

Posted - 17 mars 2008 :  15:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pixel_K
If you want I can add an option for you (post 0.0.37), but please, do me a favor and ask openstreetmap to support ele-less and time-less tracks, as it's useless for their purpose to enforce those tags, and it will be pointless if the data they contain is faked.

Do me a favore, please.
I try to speak with OSM!
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2008 :  18:57:58  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you got a map they reject So I can do some tests please ?
Go to Top of Page

shura_k

Russia
8 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2008 :  14:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you got a map they reject So I can do some tests please ?

Tell me you e-mail, please.
My is shurakr (a) gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

iks

Belarus
80 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2008 :  16:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shura_k

I try to uppload some tracks to OpenStreetmap server and get the error!
Wiki explain that any trackpoint and waypoint need to have the <ele> and <time> tags.
Can you add function like check the gpx files for missing tags and add it - <ele> equ 0, <time> equ file date time

try GpsBabel
Go to Top of Page

GarminGPSUser

16 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2008 :  16:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great little utility. I was looking for a way to enter phone number and address information. I can type it into the GPS but it would be way easier to copy and paste on the PC thru your program.

Thanks for developing this utility, I really like it!

Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 23 mars 2008 :  22:31:45  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
shura_k : I took some time to read OpenStreetMap FAQ, and quote
quote:
The ele(vation) tag is optional and will default to 0

and
quote:
There are two things the importer won't do. First, it won't take in GPS points without timestamps as they're to be used to work out speed and so on.

So ele is not mandatory, and fake timestamps won't work if they intend to use them for computations.
Go to Top of Page

shura_k

Russia
8 Posts

Posted - 24 mars 2008 :  13:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in waypoint properties window, error in date and time
date save only when check date field, then time field then finaly uncheck time field
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 27 mars 2008 :  18:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
shurka_k : you have to chose a date after enabling it, leaving the default untouched is not considered as a valid input.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  02:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few minors updates and bugfix
Go to Top of Page

SiliconFiend

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10 avr. 2008 :  00:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I split a track, it creates a gap between the tracks. It would be better to have the tracks still physically touch, but just be in different track segments. I suppose that would involve duplicating the nearest trackpoint into the split track. That also has implications for combining tracks again, too--you'd have to look for that duplicated point and remove it.

Also, an Undo feature would be very handy...

Thanks for this utility!
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 10 avr. 2008 :  13:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Creating fake points is not in my projects. There is a gap between your tracks because a track is only a succession of points, when you cut a track you do just that, cut the succession, you don't loose or gain any data.
Let's take an example : I logged a trip and come with one solid track across many days. I want a track per day, but I don't want to keep the logging that occurred when I slept, drove or flew, only the one during my walks. If I follow your request, those day-walk tracks will still touch, even if there is 6 hours or more between them, even if they are in a totally different place.
Another problem would be that there is no indication in the GPX format for eye-candy points, so there would be no way to tell if an end-point is here for real, or just to please your eye.
I won't add that behaviour, it's wrong and doesn't depict reality.

2) Undo would be nice indeed, I'll try to add it as soon as I can.
Go to Top of Page

SiliconFiend

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10 avr. 2008 :  16:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Garmin GPS creates a new track inside the GPX file every time I turn it on. If I leave it on, it will create one long, continuous track. If I get those long tracks, I normally want to split them up by activity (i.e., when I transition out of the car to start a hike. However, I don't always want to create a gap between them. The trackpoint at the split should belong to both tracks--the ending point of one, and the beginning point of another. It's not a fake point.

It would be useful to show the individual trackpoints, too (like with an X), and have some way of individually selecting to delete them or to choose where to split a track. Currently it seems to be a bit ambiguous where the split happens--sometimes it's on the segment where you click, sometimes it's the next (or previous?) segment.
Go to Top of Page

charlie-potatoes

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 13 mai 2008 :  16:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[NOTE BY ADMIN - OT POST REMOVED]

Edited by - charlie-potatoes on 13 mai 2008 16:46:52
Go to Top of Page

GarminGPSUser

16 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2008 :  11:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange Behavior:

I use my Favorites in the NUVI to have name + phone #. When I edit the GPX file, any editing causes the waypoint to be duplicated - the original then the modified one. I am aware of this already, you have to go in and edit/delete the waypoints you want on the NUVI itself. The problem is the phone numbers/addresses do not transfer. In fact there is no place in the editor to enter this information.

I'd like to create a waypoint that contains:

Name
Address
Phone Number

Is it possible to create a waypoint with these tags from within GPX editor then copy it back to the NUVI?

Even if you erase the current.gpx file on the NUVI, it must store it somewhere else because the old waypoints keep coming back.

Plus, if I am in google map mode, then I click on a waypoint, it goes back to preview mode and then has to recalculate the google map.

Is there anyway to stay in google map mode? Once you zoom in on where ur looking it's a pain to go back to preview mode. For example, I'm in google map mode, I've zoomed in tightly on 4 or 5 waypoints. I click on one of them and decide to edit some of the details. It takes me out of google map and I have to go back and zoom in all over again and again.

Under waypoint properties, it would be really nice to capture/edit Address, City, Zip and Phone Number.

Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2008 :  11:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Address, city, zip and phone number are not standard GPX fields, as such, they are not supported by GPX Editor.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 29 juin 2008 11:39:12
Go to Top of Page

GarminGPSUser

16 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2008 :  11:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[QUOTE SNIPPED]
thanks for the quick reply
Go to Top of Page

navi_walk

33 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2008 :  16:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a program I'm looking for!

My GPS Datalogger stores NMEA-sentences (GGA and RMC), which I convert with GpsBabel. From this files GpsBabel seems to make tracks, so I checked the option 'transform tracks to waypoint' to have both in the converted file and to get such a view in GPX-Editor:

The pink waypoints are the trail I went, but at this part I had to walk around a little bit to find the right way. So all waypoints in blue color (and the tracks also) I want to delete. I hoped, that I can select a waypoint in the preview-map and than it will be selected also in the list.

In the version 0.0.74 I can only select a waypoint in the list and it will be highlighted in the preview. With a track of 4000 waypoint it sometimes not easy to find the point I'm searching for. Moving with the mouse over a waypoint getting someting like a tooltip (a label with the number of the waypoint) would make it easier.

Next: in the list I can only mark/highlight one point - I want to thin out that kind of part, where I walked around to find the right way (this part has 367 waypoint, because my GPS Logger write a sentence every 5 seconds). Choosing more than one point and deselect them all will be fine.

Some ideas for a filter:
- only use waypoints, that have an HDOP better than 1.0 m or 2.0 m or 4.0 m
- merge point that are nearby together not more than 0.50 m far from each other (to thin out parts when I make a rest or have to walk slowly) and have a timestamp with identical hour/minutes.

Ah,just another thing: Zooming with the mouse wheel is ok, it will be also nice, if the direction arrows will accept the arrow buttons from the keyboard.

Bye

Edited by - navi_walk on 08 juil. 2008 16:33:24
Go to Top of Page

navi_walk

33 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2008 :  17:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little bit later:
Normally I don't need waypoints, tracks are enough. I see the button 'Delete a point on a track', that could be a good way to delete parts. But the button is disselected after one deleting. So it's a lot of work to select this button for every delete-operation.

Moving a point of a track to another position will be a nice feature, also an undo-function.

Bye
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2008 :  18:17:24  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you found out yourself, creating waypoints is pointless, but I'll answer to your first questions.
Selecting a point on the preview, selects it in the list, when a track or a point is selected, you can press Delete on your keyboard to delete it.
Deleting waypoints by DOP is an interesting idea, but it seems only useful when you capture a big cloud of points to retain only the "best" points which would be a somewhat unusual usage and a bit out of the actual scope of GPX Editor.
You can already delete points which are too close.
Moving the map with the keyboard is a good idea, I'll try to add this function as soon as I can.
If I would want to do what you are trying to do, I would separate the track in three, remove the offending part then paste the remaining parts together. It is not very efficient and I'll try to add your suggestion for a "remove track in area" button.
Go to Top of Page

navi_walk

33 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2008 :  11:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried it with 'Cut track' - if I have to delete some hundred waypoints, two cuts and one 'Bind track' are not such a big problem.

By this I got serveral error messages, but I cannot reproduce them:

1. Indice de liste ... limites (-1)
That happened when I want to make the second cut; I have to kill GPX-Editor with the TaskManager, because the message comes up again and agin. At the next try I had no problems.

2. Opération en virgule flottante incorrecte
After the both cuts, when I want to delete a single point ('Delete a single point on a track'). GPX-Editor has been in full screen mode and I'm moving the mouse near to a point. May be the program cannot decide the correct point? At the next try I had no problem.

Now some things about 'Reduce point count':
- The Douglas-Peucker (I found a description at Wikipedia but I don't understand the difference to 'unsignificant points') is not good. It reduces the number of points from 4601 to 6 - 31, that's too much reduction!
- What are 'unsignificant points' for your program? The text told me for example "that are closer than 0,5 m". Does that mean, the program is starting with the first point of the track, looks if the second point is less than 0,5 m near and delete it, looks if third point is also less than 0,5 m near, if not than it use the third point and looks, if the fourth point is less than 0,5 m from the third point away and so on?
I don't like the scale, at the moment it is 0,5m - 2,0m - 4,5m - 8,0m - 12,5m ... 55000m. Because I do a lot of hiking, a scale starting with 0,5m - 0,8m - 1,0m - 1,2m - 1,5m - 2,0m will be better. So what about a entry in the .ini-file to choose between hinking/bicycle/car/airplane?
- I still think, that a filter over the HPOS-value is a good idea, because those points may have an inaccurate position (even at the "warm up" at the beginning). So I would first filter with the HPOS-value and then a second time over the distance between two point.
- The 'reduce point count'-window shows me not my complete track, there is a part beeing cut off on the left side.

Saving the file means to loose a lot of information! I'm missing the number of satellites and the hdop-value.

Bye
Go to Top of Page

leireken

1 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2008 :  08:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic program, it’s the kind of program I was looking for for a while!
I made some tests with version 0.0.74.386. I thought you might be interested in my observations.
•I think there is a problem with deleting points in the Track properties window. Visually one can delete points but when you close the window and open it again the initial points are back!
•After cutting a track in for example two it is no longer possible to display the track segments in the Google Maps tab. But when you save and reopen this works.
•When you open een file containing waypoints only it is not possible to display those in the Google Maps tab.
•In my opinion it would be very useful the have the possibility to make multiple selections in the field where the waypoints and tracks are displayed. This way it would be much easier to delete series of waypoints for example.
•Another feature which I really would like to see is the possibility to visualize the waypoint names in the Google Maps tab.
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Endo

1 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2008 :  04:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I thought this program was exactly what I wanted, but I cannot seem to get the "Delete track point" function to work. I bring up the track properties window, select some points, and hit "Delete Selected". The track point number goes down, and the map in the window redraws. However, when I hit "OK", the window behaves as if I hit "Cancel". The real map is not redrawn, and when I re-enter the track properties window, it looks as if I didn't delete any points.

What am I doing wrong?

nathan
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2008 :  20:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm working on the next version right now. It's a full rewrite, trying to satisfy the most interesting requests I got. I hope I can show you an early version soon (even if it will be near to useless in it's current state).
Go to Top of Page

mrg21

1 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2008 :  14:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have problems to compile the source with delphi 7, it come the error message:
[Fatal Error] GPSUtils.pas(7): File not found: 'Fastcode.dcu'
How can I solve that?
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2008 :  15:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrg21

I have problems to compile the source with delphi 7, it come the error message:
[Fatal Error] GPSUtils.pas(7): File not found: 'Fastcode.dcu'
How can I solve that?

Google Knows :
http://www.google.com/search?q=fastcode
Add the fastcode project to the libraries.

And just for those who are curious here is a actual "Work in Progress" Alpha of the next version : GPX Editor 1.0.40.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 05 nov. 2008 08:41:04
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2008 :  22:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New version available on first post.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 03 janv. 2009 :  17:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New version with spanish and german translation.
If somebody wants to add or correct a translation, please tell me.
Go to Top of Page

navi_walk

33 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2009 :  10:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Looks nice, it will take some days (maybe the next weekend) to test your new version ...
Go to Top of Page

1drey

Russia
62 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2009 :  14:45:03  Show Profile  Visit 1drey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops! wrong thread - sorry

Edited by - 1drey on 11 janv. 2009 18:47:24
Go to Top of Page

kk

Austria
7 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2009 :  18:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great piece of software!

I was wondering if the following is also possible to ease life while editing tracks:
- add shortcuts to all functions to speed up frequently used functions such as delete points in box (ctrl b or what ever), or split track ...
- add select button to select various points and then delete them
- add user defined maps as geotiff and/or wms

Karel
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2009 :  18:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
- Shortcuts should be easy to add. Any preferred ones ?
- Multi-selection is a bit tricky to add at the moment. The best alternative are the "delete into box" commands
- The problem so far is that I don't use Mercator projection in preview mode, but a much simpler and faster one, so any background map will not be aligned correctly.

If you can give me a list of shortcuts, I'll try to add them; There are already a few (like Del, Ctrl-S).
Go to Top of Page

kk

Austria
7 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2009 :  21:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

- Shortcuts should be easy to add. Any preferred ones ?

Sounds good.
From left to right in the menu:
join 2 tracks/route
cut track/route
cut selected track/route
all 4 box functions (delete box, keep box ...)
delete track point
delete selected elements

choose any meaningful combination - I have no preferences.

quote:

- The problem so far is that I don't use Mercator projection in preview mode, but a much simpler and faster one, so any background map will not be aligned correctly.

What kind of projection do you use? Is there a way to project the map into your projection and then include it as a background image map? If you get the bounding box of the image in geographic coordinates and the resolution would that be of any help?

Some other small comments:
- point list tab: The scroll bar does not seem to work. Furthermore, it would be helpful if you could select points in the point list and then see the selection graphically in order to edit them.
- preview tab: Would it be possible to also zoom in the profile according to the scale of the map? This could be helpful to edit/delete details in the profile that cannot be otherwise seen/selected

Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2009 :  16:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been a bit hasty on the shortcut answer, it is a bit more difficult that what I thought, but I'll add that for the next version.

My projection is linear and just has a fixed X/Y ratio. A simple stretch of a Mercator projected image will not be good enough.

Mercator is an entire different beast. If you're interested in the detail look at the the details. Putting a linear layer (such as the preview tab of GPX Editor) over a Mercator Projected picture will not align right.
I made a few tries recently at using Mercator projection for the preview, but it gets to slow for the real-time display/move/zoom/edit that is done with the linear version.
It would be technically feasible to re-project the bitmap from Mercator to my linear projection, but I don't feel comfortable enough in image processing to do it.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 14 janv. 2009 16:54:51
Go to Top of Page

kk

Austria
7 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2009 :  23:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it would be easier to consider a link to a user-defined wms. That way you don't have to worry about integrating geocoded map data into the system directly. Just an adjustment in the preferences similar to the options for google maps (mapnik ...). Is this feasible?

Otherwise, could you send me an example of "your" projection, what parameters you use and how you integrate an image into the system? I guess a compressed 8bit (png, tif ...) image should be sufficient. I could then look into external projection possibilities (using gdaltools) and find a way of creating the image you need.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2009 :  10:24:47  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is may be feasible but way over my current area of competence. The source is available, so all you need is already there for any investigation. Png or tif would need additional libraries to decode them, and so far there is no way to decode simply geotiff metadata in delphi. I would like to add such support, but I just don't have the knowledge.

If you have any other WMS (Google API compatible) which could be added to the Google map view, please tell me. I could Add a "free to configure" WMS slot, but I fear that I wouldn't be able to control its mechanism and therefore be sure that it displays well.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2009 :  18:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Version 1.1.25, includes the keyboard shortcuts.
Go to Top of Page

kk

Austria
7 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  17:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

New Version 1.1.25, includes the keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for the shortcuts. I'll set up a basic WMS and see if this works. If you could add the "free to configure" WMS slot that would be great.
Go to Top of Page

iamdave

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2009 :  17:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice.
I found the editor while Googl'ing for "GPX editor". What I would like to find
is a tool that lets me adjust the timestamps in the GPX file for tracks.
I invariably forget to set the timezone when travelling and my tracks are 1 or 2 hours off.
Have you considered an option to adjust the timestamps for waypoints or
tracks?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

navi_walk

33 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2009 :  18:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iamdave
What I would like to find
is a tool that lets me adjust the timestamps in the GPX file for tracks.

You can do that with GPSBabel.

Bye
Go to Top of Page

iamdave

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2009 :  18:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I did not know the GPSBabel could do that... I thought it only did
format conversions.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2009 :  19:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Version available, with nmea import and point filtering (on sat, fix and hdop)
Go to Top of Page

navi_walk

33 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2009 :  20:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
... with nmea import and point filtering (on sat, fix and hdop)

Sounds great!
Go to Top of Page

giacomo.ciani

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2009 :  16:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, and Pixel_K in particular,

I found GPX editor a great piece of software: it is the simple to use and free utility I've been searching for months... Now I'm using it intensively to clean up and organize all my GPS tracks. Many, many thanks.

Unfortunately, I can't directly help with development, but if it can help, I can contribute with testing: I already have a have a list of bugs and feature requests to submit to your attention. Are you interested? Is this the right place, or do you have a bug tacker or something similar?

Filling up the list while waiting for your answer...

Giacomo
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2009 :  12:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is the right place, thank you very much for your feedback. There is also another way you could help the development of GPX Editor : you could translate it to Italian.
Let me know if you're interested, and please submit here any bug/request/comment/question you have about GPX Editor, I'll do my best to answer them
Go to Top of Page

giacomo.ciani

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2009 :  14:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pixel_K. Here you can find a list of bug/feature requests I filled so far. It's longh enough, but the list of congratulations and thanks for your software would be much longer: this is why I'm not going to write it! :-)

As for the translation, actually I don't have so much time (and I'm spending the few I have in organizing my tracks!), but if you send me the instructions on how to do that, I'll keep my time but I'll do it: if you have no other volunteers working on italian translation... later is better than never!

BUGS:

- BAD: memory consumption as reported by Task Manager keeps growing every time I open/edit a file, even if I close the files i worked on. Eventually, I got a "not enough memory" error and have to close and open the applciation again. As I edit tracks with few thousands of points, I usually happens and up with more than 1 GB of memry used by GPX_Editor after editing 10 tracks or so...

- the zooming behaviour is strange: not only it doesn't zoom around mouse position (that would be very useful), but if you zoom in and out several times keeping the cursor in place, the track drifts away from the screen... fixing that would enhance the general feeling and the productivity a lot.

- in the "track and route edition" panel, the zooming is even worse, as the two views would not stay syncronized. I see two options here:
---- completely detach the two views, so that you can/have to manage the two zoom operations independently, but zooming in one "half panel" doesn't completely mess the view in the other
---- best: find a way to have both "half panels" being always centered on the same point (with respect to the track position). For the zoom level in this case I see other two options: it could be the same in both windows (so providing the same view), or being rescaled with the windows size thus displaying the same area regardless of the panel width.

SUGGESTIONS/FEATURE REQUEST:

- a zoom function on the altitude preview panel (on both axis) would be nice, as sometime this is a good place where to look for details or reference points.

- I found the practice of creating "temporary" waypoints to be a quiete comfortable (an the only one I found, to be honest) way of making the variuos views working togheter, i.e. finding a reference point in one view (map, altitude...) and using it for an operation that can be only done in onother view (edit, preview...). Unfortunatly, the tracklist appears to be excluded from this mechanism: the only thing I was able to do was to filter trakpoints using the provided algorithms. You coul act the possibility to create a waypoint coincident with a trackpoint selected in the list.

- BIG FEAUTRE: it would be very useful to implement a general tool for selecting a trackpoint (operation that at present is not allowed if not in the context of a specific tool, like "cut track") and having it highlighted at the same time in all views (altitude, preview, points list... and even map, if it's possible). In my mind, you should be able to select a trackpoint clicking on any of the suitable views (preview, points list, altitude pane... and even map, if possible), and that point should e highlighted everywere. Moreover, it would be nice to have a slide bar with ending arrows (as implemented in Prune, for example) that can allow you to move to the nxt/previous trackpoint, and a small panel summarizing the info of the selected one.

- as a consequence, you could implement a way of performing an operations on an already selected trackpoint. This would be very useful especially when you have a lot of points in a small region, with the track intersecting itself several times, and selecting the correct one "by position" using the pointer is difficult. As an alternative, you could:
---- select a the trackpoint using the above mentioned tool (you can use whatever panel is more useful for the operation)
---- move to the next/previous trackpoint using the sled bar arrows or the arrow keys, to precisely find the diseired trackpoint.
---- once the desired point has been selected, press an operation tool (like "cut" or "delete") that, since a trackpoint is already selected, should act immediatly instead of requiring to select the trackpoint on which to perform the operation.

- it would be grat to have other map servers implemented, and in particualr OpenStreetMap: they have the "cycle" layer that has a very nice topographic map, that woul be extremely suitable for outdoor sports (the kind of things for which I'm using GPS and your software!). Although I have no idea of how to implement it, I saw several other tootls BT747 and Prune, for example) that implemented it alongh with GoogleMaps, so I suppose it should not be very different...
Go to Top of Page

activityworkshop

4 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2009 :  19:50:41  Show Profile  Visit activityworkshop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sattelite -> Satellite
agle -> angle
closer that -> closer than
:)
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2009 :  14:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
activityworkshop :
Thanks for the typo corrections, they will be available in the next release.

giacomo.ciani :
1) I'm working on the memory leaks, it will take some time to correct the most of them, but I think I can do it.
2) I can't find why the zoom behave this way, I already tried to correct that but I wasn't successfull
3) I can "detach" the 2 zoom easily, I'll try to add an option for that as soon as I can
4) Zoom on the altitude pane is on my todo list
5,6,7) This would require a lot of changes in the guts of the programming involved. Very interesting suggestions, but not on the menu for the near future.
8) I'll Add the OpenStreetMap cycle layer in the next version (I didn't add it because there's no data for my area, so I couldn't test it easily). The main OpenStreetmap is already available (look in the options).
Go to Top of Page

maddslacker

1 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2009 :  20:41:56  Show Profile  Visit maddslacker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This app is excellent, and is just what I was looking for! I used to edit my GPX files by hand, but the files from my new GPS tracker are a little harder to work with. This lets me quickly edit the file graphically and even reads in my .nmea files natively!

I am running it in Linux, via wine. Is it possible to compile it for Linux?

Edited by - maddslacker on 09 mars 2009 20:42:50
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2009 :  21:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
maddslacker : For a linux port, the main problem would be the google map tab, which uses Internet Explorer to display the web page. I don't know if there is any replacement available in Kylix or OpenPascal.

giacomo.ciani : It looks like the main memory leak won't be that easy to fix, I'm still working on it.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2009 :  13:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This beta : GPX Editor 1.1.36 should correct most of the memory leaks. There's been A LOT of change in the inner code to achieve this, so this version may be unstable.
I would really like to have feedback on it. It also adds the OSM Cycle map layer, but that should not be a problem.
Go to Top of Page

tepich

8 Posts

Posted - 26 mars 2009 :  21:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixel_K, thanks for the new version. Do you think it could be possible to implement a track networking function into GPX Editor similar to the one in TopoFusion?
http://www.topofusion.com/network.php
http://www.topofusion.com/database.php
http://www.topofusion.com/jcdl-04-trails.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 26 mars 2009 :  21:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read the first page and see a few problem whith this "feature".
- Their creation is not supported by the GPX format, so no way to save and load such information
- Their creation is based on averaging overlapping tracks, which is a loss of information (even if your only way of transportation is a train).

So it would be possible to implement such functionality, but it would mean scarifying GPX compatibility and precision, two problems I want to avoid at all costs. It can be done but I won't encourage it.
Go to Top of Page

tepich

8 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2009 :  21:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understood. Thanks for trying.
I am looking for a tool that would allow me to easily combine several tracks captured during the walks through the town, average tracks captured in the same street, delete unnecessary parts of tracks and then produce a virtual tour with the geotagged photos.
It is possible with your editor but due to the zooming issues mentioned here earlier it is terribly time consuming when having 10 or more tracks recorded somewhere in town of post-soviet Central Asia where the Google Maps zoom is insufficient and you have to cut and join parts of track.
Anyway thanks for the useful tool, I will use it for simplyfying the individual tracks and afterwards I will think how to solve my problem.
Go to Top of Page

giacomo.ciani

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2009 :  19:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pixel_k, thanks for this new release and sorry for the delay in answering: I'm very busy in this period...
Here are a few comments:

- memory consumption: I don't have a precise benchmark, but the impression is that things are going better. I can still observe a sort of hysteresis: as you load and unload tracks, the memory consumption rarely goes back to the original value, and always increase a little. Nevertheless, it seems to grow much slower than before...

- when you close all loaded tracks, "point list" and "track and route edition" remain populated. Mostly aesthetical, but would be better to clear them

- the layer you included form OSM is the Mapnik. Cool... but the cycle one would be much nicier for off-road navigation! ;-)

More to come as I continue using the program...

Bye

Giacomo
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2009 :  08:20:42  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your feedback.

I'll look at the point list and will try to perfect the memory consumption.

For the map layer, as I wrote earlier, you have to select it in the settings :

Go to Top of Page

giacomo.ciani

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2009 :  23:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I didn't notice that... cool! :-)
Go to Top of Page

hunnymonster

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2009 :  18:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it funny that old places keep bringing one back with new toys? :) It must be 3 or 4 years since I was last here!

--
Je regrette mon francais mauvais - je ne l'ai pas parlé (ou écrit) depuis environ 20 années
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 19 avr. 2009 :  20:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New version 1.1.54 :

- Less Memory spent
- begins to support GPX Style (color and opacity)
- can add many files at once, can compress files (without loosing data, but at the cost of human readability)
- adds OSM Openlayer support (Mapnik, Cycle, Aerial, Piste)
- can create .map file on Google Map screenshot
- Can add some track information about a track in the Description (Telemtry button)

*** EDIT ***

And you also can display the selected waypoint/route/track properties by clicking on the mouse middle button.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 20 avr. 2009 08:07:44
Go to Top of Page

hunnymonster

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 21 avr. 2009 :  16:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else have a problem creating the file associations? Using Vista SP1 (I know it should go in the bin) it gives an error:

Echec a la definition des donnes pour "

--
Je regrette mon francais mauvais - je ne l'ai pas parlé (ou écrit) depuis environ 20 années
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 21 avr. 2009 :  17:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't test it on Vista, but registering a file type may need administrator pivileges, have you tried as Administrator ?

*** EDIT ***

I just tested on the Windows 7 Beta (it isn't Vista, but they share a big codebase) and I got the same error message as you with the normal user. It worked fined when runned as Administrator.

AFAIK you need to be an administrator to register a file type as it writes to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry hive.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 21 avr. 2009 17:24:06
Go to Top of Page

hunnymonster

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 21 avr. 2009 :  18:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That did it. Thanks!

--
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 21 avr. 2009 :  18:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've added a message that states clearly that you have to be an administrator to register filetypes. This fix will be included in the next version. Thank you for the feedback hunnymonster.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2009 :  22:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Version 1.1.57.

- Corrects a bug when saving track/route color
- Better indentation in non-compressed GPX
- You can now drag-drop a GPX file on the preview to add it to the current data
- If you select a track with elevation data, you can folow the elevation graph on google map view
- Opened File history (can be disabled in the settings)
- Added a message that states clearly that you have to be an administrator to register filetypes (thanks to hunnymonster's feedback).
Go to Top of Page

hunnymonster

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2009 :  22:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
- If you select a track with elevation data, you can folow the elevation graph on google map view

That bit works perfectly it seems....

quote:
- Added a message that states clearly that you have to be an administrator to register filetypes (thanks to hunnymonster's feedback).

No message on this part for me - other than the error message

--
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2009 :  18:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Version 1.1.61
- Added maximum and minimum altitude to telemetry
- Added copy paste of waypoints, routes and tracks.

hunnymonster : i'll take a look at that, maybe i'm not checking the right spot

Go to Top of Page

hunnymonster

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2009 :  21:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to persist in the same way in 1.1.61 (GPX gives the error message above, NMEA gives a slightly different one "Echec a la definition des donnees pour 'OldValue'")

Still have some of the confirmation buttons in French (Oui, Non, Annuler) - which I guess is still compiler showthrough.

That said if GPXEditor was in Mandarin, I'd still use it :)

--
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2009 :  14:37:05  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 1.1.64

- Modified the settings dialog to ease translation
- You can choose between CSV and GPX format for the clipboard data format.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2009 :  12:24:53  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 1.1.69
- Import and Export of Google Earth KML files
- Import of NoniGPSPlot NGT files
Go to Top of Page

giacomo.ciani

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2009 :  13:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pixel_K,

I see you've been very active recentrly! A lot of new releases! :-)
Unfortunatly, I had no time to play a lot with your sofware. But, there something I noticed that is quite annoying: when you delete something in the data structure panel on the left, the list collapse (every level get closed)... this makes repeated deleting operation very unconfortable, as you have to reopen all the level to find your data again...

Giacomo
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2009 :  13:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The source of this problem is that I have to re-create the tree after a deletition, I try to open the tree in the same place after the delete operation but my current way of doing it is sub-optimal. I'll try to find a better way, thank you for your feedback.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 17 mai 2009 23:04:11
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2009 :  23:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 1.1.70

Tries to restore position in treeview, even after an object is deleted
Go to Top of Page

giacomo.ciani

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2009 :  08:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had a quick try: it only restores the status of the tree branch you are working on (i.e. if if have track and waypoints opened, and you delete a waypoint, you end up with waypoint opened and tracks closed), but that's already much better than before. Good job! :-)

Thanks

Giacomo
Go to Top of Page

michael1303

2 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2009 :  12:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo,
I have used the GPX editor to create a new waypoint by clicking in the map and then clicking on the Waypoint-Button. The Waypoint was created, but if i try to move the waypoint to another position, there comes an error-message in france : "(GMap 52.550419 N' n'est une valeur en virgule flottante correcte." Is it possible to move the waypoints ?
Greetings
Michael
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2009 :  21:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
could you please telle me if this test version solves the bug you found ?
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2009 :  23:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pixel_K,

Thank you for sharing this program with us. I was most interested in the filtering of tracklogs using the Douglas-Peucker algorithm.

Because I would like to refine the algorithm depending on velocity and change of angle, I downloaded the source and some other external units. But at a point I can't go further: it needs XpBase and XpDom.

Where can I find these?

By the way: when filtering with Douglas-Peucker, in what units 0..10.0000 is this?
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2009 :  09:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
XML Parter can be found here

Most of the Douglas-Peucker algorithm comes from here, the other sources I used is here (in Perl).

The constant you're writing about is the maximum distance allowed between the real and the simplified path. I would guess (because I can't remember) it's in meter.

As DP is only about distance and not time, I hardly see how you would make speed in the equation, other by giving more weight to some points. About the angle, it's kind of already in there, as a high significant angle will most of the time be in the simplified path.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2009 :  11:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your addition.

I would like the following refinement to test for my own tracklogs: the tolerance (or distance)gets an initial value of the user. Depending on speed and angle it gets a multiplication factor.
The DP-algorithm used here just looks at the graphic line, while a tracklog has also another dimension: speed. Maybe I will use the 3d-algorithm where the speed is the third dimension, not linear but as a logarithm.

My goal is to reduce points in a tracklog with car and walks together. As speed is high, you can adjust to a higher tolerance. At that speeds you are following a road wich is simple to 'reconstruct' after reduction. If speed is low however (walking), the tolerance should be lower to retain more points. I would like to keep the places where are footbridges or geocaches.

A workaround would be: cut the tracklog in pieces and use per piece a different tolerance. But at lower speeds, one can make sharper angles (there can be a reason for that), wich would be filtered out on tolerance, but should be kept.

BTW: with the last version program (still unmodified), experimenting with the tolerance, I suddenly had a memory issue in the program. Used a tracklog of 1500 points.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2009 :  14:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What kind of "memory issue" ? I often edit and simplify tracks with more than 10000 points without encountering any problem.

And just to be clear, speed isn't a dimension, time is. Your idea is interesting, please share with us your progress on those algorithms.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2009 :  18:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After playing again with the DP-adjustment on a single tracklog of 2787 points to 706 points at the 'tolerance' set at 741 with the up/down-arrow (started from 100), I got the next message: 'Mémoire insuffisante'. I had zoomed in at a portion (ca 10x) in the middle of a track to see at what level the corners of the track are back in the resulting line.

Looking in the task-explorer, it used 2.013.200kB, or 2Gb!

Starting all over again: after loading it uses 6500kB. With the task-explorer in a second window: every change in DP-parameter results in more memory-usage.

The same is happening with other filter-methods. It looks to me, that the program does not release all previous result-lines in memory. If I start with a filter resulting drastic results, the increase of memory is less, than starting with less filtering.

Edited by - garmin76csx on 13 juin 2009 18:31:42
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2009 :  19:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll look at this memory leak, thank you for your feedback on it.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  00:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodmorning Pixel K,

I found two problems tonight:

a. When i try to read a .gpx-file wich was reduced with DP, I got an error in Garmin Mapsource stating 'file xxx.gpx can not be imported.
The problem lies in the extension with color. If I delete the complete extension, it will import again.

These are the differences:
Garmin Mapsource output:

<trk>
<name>ACTIVE LOG 002</name>
<extensions>
<gpxx:TrackExtension xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3">
<gpxx:DisplayColor>Blue</gpxx:DisplayColor>
</gpxx:TrackExtension>
</extensions>
---------------------------------------------------------------------

GPX editor output:

<trk>
<name>ACTIVE LOG 002</name>
<extensions>
Blue </extensions>
<trkseg>

b. When using DP the way implemented, the corners start beiing a shortcut first, while a lot of points on a straight line stay....

My experience with Delphi are not that high, so I have a lot to study and read your sources.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  01:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The garmin extension are not standard, so no project on supporting them. There is already supported and documented GPX style extension. Garmin choose to ignore them and use their proprietary one.
So the problem lies within garmin software, I can't do anything about that.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  01:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found the errors in the DP-alogrithm:

In function VecMinPoint4D2, DotProdPoint4D2, NormSquaredPoint4D2 and SimplifyTrackDP in file PointListEdit.pas, there is altitude used.

If I remove/alter those statements, you get a clean 2D-calculation, having less points on a straight line, leaving corners more intact and still a better reduction in points.

Original file: 269 points, after reducing (5000) results 194 points.

After modifying the source, I get after reducing(5000) 58 points.
Even with reducing(10000) I get 85 as highes result!

Now I have to figure out how points are stored, to get a meaningfull unit (meters I would like) for the tolerance.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  03:12:24  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yes you're right, I was just adding degrees to meters in my calculation, witch is just wrong. I should find another way to use the altitude (or at least give the choice to the user to use it or not).
Thank you for spotting that one.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  09:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you would like the user to choose from 2D or 3D, you could add a "Douglas-Peucker 3D-difference" in the pulldown-menu and implement the complete 3D calculation next to the 2D.
And rename the current to "Douglas-Peucker 2D-difference".

BTW: how can I help to translate text to Dutch?
I can't see a language-select under options. Or only during compiletime?

Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  11:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll add that choice. Could you please share your 2D version, mine doesn't work well for the moment ?

The translation is based on GNU Gettext. The fastest way to add a new translation is to download this file and extract it in the bin directory (I hope "nl" is the right country code). Then install POEdit and edit bin/locale/nl/default.po
Once saved you can try your translation by running GPXEditor.exe, it will automatically load the translation according to your OS language.
Then when the translation is completed, you can send me the default.po so I can distribute it with the future releases.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  13:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I'll read and analyse your changes. In the future you'd better use something like PasteBin to post source code, it will retain the formating and not encumber the forum's server.
By the Way I didn't get any PM.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  14:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a lot to learn, but I'll try:

http://pastebin.com/m4ba4b630

The PM was an email to me from the moderator. It looks to me there is no possibility to exchange emal-adresses hidden for others.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  19:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, the next version will permit to choose between 2D and 3D Douglas Peucker.
I'll now try to correct the memory leak.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2009 :  12:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have studied your sources now for a lot of hours and come to this tip:

The DP-algorithm should have a tolerance-value in meters. The coordinates you used are in latitude and longitude decimal degrees, so a tolerance is now given as a (fraction of) degree. It would be better to convert all coordinates from WGS84 to ECEF before any filtering-algorithm is selected. Maybe the best place to do this is at the point where the user selects de data in the treeview. I still have trouble to understand OOP and Delphi, and are not sure where and how to put/store this conversion. But I have seen that the conversion-procedure is already available!

I would like to help you with the programming, but I don't have enough experience to pick that up. I am very sorry for that, but it takes time to become familiar with it to develop with convidence....I hate time!
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2009 :  18:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a couple of hours experimenting, I have made some changes to the DP-algorithm: Within the procedure SimplifyTrackDP, each coordinate is converted to ECEF before the calculation starts. It would be better to extend (some?) classes so it has also coordinates in the ECEF besides the used WGS84.

Here the changed part: http://pastebin.com/m8931cd2

It resides in unit PointListEdit.pas.

Now the DP does meters, I changed the slider so a min=1 and max=1000.
I think a tolerance for walking ca 5m, for cardriving 50m? Try it! Maybe max=1000 is much to high.

Watch out: The SimplifyTrackDP-procedure calculates the perpendular error, but it does not sqrt it. So, to compare it with our tolerance, we must check it against Tol*Tol.

Edited by - garmin76csx on 19 juin 2009 18:54:49
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2009 :  19:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll try a different way, convert the GPS coords to ECEF, store them in a temporary array, then delete the original points depending on the ECEF reduction result. Extending the Point4D would be a waste of memory most of the time.
I'll tell you what the result are.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2009 :  22:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the current Work in progress source code.
It implements the 3 DP method (3D, 2D & 3D meter) plus a few in progress changes
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  00:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You work faster than me! Thanks

But I see at least one problem: in the meter-DP, you use not the squared tolerance but the single. In that case the tolerance is not in unit meters but in sqrt(meters). I hope you agree on this?

Is it useful to maintain the non-meters-DP? Is there anyone who uses a fraction of a degree to define the tolerance? Or just visual? The meter-DP can do that also.

My idea is, to skip the non-meters DP and make the meters-DP in 2D and 3D versions.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  10:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To ALL:

I was wondering: is it possible to make a anti-scatter-filter?

When my GPS stands still, it will record trackpoints. I use the resolution-setup 'auto most'. This means: number of recorded points depend on anglechange & time.

How to detect the scatter in a long track?
The scatter is an area where the angle is changing very often with high values, while the average point is the point of gravity, within a certain time-period.

What parameters should the detector have?
a. minimum number of sudden angle-changes (5-30?)
b. maximum circle of scattering around center of gravity (20-75 meters?
c. minimum time-period (2-10 minutes?)

What should the detector do?
When the detector has detected a scatter, the scatter should be reduced to one point: the point of gravity.

What is your opinion?

Edited by - garmin76csx on 20 juin 2009 11:01:03
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  12:21:49  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll add the Tol^2 in the calling function (it's better than doing the calculation every iteration on the base function)

The 2D & 3D DP are still usefull as they work with visual inspection.

For the "anti-scatter-filter" : the simplest way would be to do it with a bit of user help, like selecting the "ball of points" then computing the center of gravity, erasing every point but the entering and exiting path to the ball. An automatic detection may be much more difficult to do.

By the way, how should I put you in the "thanks section" in the about box ? I think Garmin (the society) wouldn't be very pleased if I used your current login.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  12:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 1.1.76 available.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  13:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the anti-scatter-filter: if the user should point out where a scatter-area is, it would be better to cut the areau out by hand.

I would like to use the strength (and speed) of the PC to detect (and reduce) this catter-areas with (adjustable) parameters.
In case of a long track (80km), the scatter-area is hardly to see. One should zoom in very deep to see a scatter-area of 75m radius. In any case, it would be helpfull if the hight-profile-display could switch to another type of display: instead of height, showing the direction-change on the vertical axis.

About the thanks in the About-box:
"And of course all the people who helped me to develop this tool"
should be enough.
In case of translation (still busy), you do not have to mension my (nick)name.

Edited by - garmin76csx on 20 juin 2009 14:17:06
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  13:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because there is 'work in progress' on the program, I searched for a program that can check for differences in sourcefiles/directorys.

I found a program called 'diffmerge', wich according to the website, should be free of charge (and no time-limit?).

Have the members of GPSPassion found even better programs?

I'd like to hear from you!
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  13:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use UltraCompare, which is not free.
Go to Top of Page

giacomo.ciani

Italy
17 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  17:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the anti-scatter filter, i just thought a minute about me.
I think that angle is not an usable parameter, as while you stand still it would change on a random basis assuming all possible values. This is partially true for the speed, too. On the other hand, position is the only thing that is not going to change "that much", and, more importat, that would show a strong correlation between point taken in the same physical position, even with random error.
Given that, it seems to me that a "moving average" on the track could be a good starting point. The algorithm could do domething like this:
- moving average on a (user selctable) number of points
- detect averaged points whose distance to the previous and nex point is under a given value. Maybe this is to simple: I have to think a bit more about this

Unfortunatly I have no time (nor skills) for active development, but if you like a discussion about that I'll be glad to help!

Giacomo
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2009 :  03:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made 3 screendumps of tracks:
http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture216200924509.jpg
This is a scatter made from the dashboard of a car, parked between 2 houses. The reception was reasonable, but the scatter contains ca. 138 points. The total route has 641 points in total. In the left you see the pointlist: the direction changes a lot of times. It should be reduced to 1 point.

http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture216200924218.jpg
In this image you see us parked next to the A1 (Wetherby). Here you can see there are no additional points, so a detector should not see this as a scatter-area. Think of number of direction-changes and radius of less than 50m.

http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture216200922618.jpg
In this image, I took the GPS with me in the house and stayed there for a couple of hours. The reception was bad of course. But the scatter contains 363 points on a track of 1976 total. This one should be reduced to 1 point.

Edited by - garmin76csx on 21 juin 2009 03:58:40
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2009 :  12:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@giacomo.ciani
I would parameter the number of directionchanges wich alter more than 90 degrees, not the angle itself.

Remind the parameters I proposed:

a. minimum number of sudden angle-changes (5-30?)(directionchange>90 degree)
b. maximum circle of scattering around center of gravity (20-75 meters?
c. minimum time-period (2-10 minutes?)

In pseudocode I think of the next algorithm:

for all the trackpoints do:
- Imagine a circle around this point with a radius of [param.b] meters. (moving circle)
- within this circle:if the number of directionchanges(more than 90 degree) is more than [param.a] it could be a scatter
- if elapsed time of all points within circle is more than [param.c]
-> we found a scatter!!
reduce scatter: delete all points between entry- and exitpoint of the circle

Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2009 :  15:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Pixel K
During translation (now at 52%), I found a few typo's:

andministrator
german (no capital)
spanish (no capital)
a few bbytes less,

In the last version (and previous) 1.1.76.865 (original exe),when I have selected a tracklog and are in preview the next happens:

- If I move the cursor in the stat-window, the crosshair does not follow the mouse, but has different intervals. The cross in the main preview-window follows this behavour of course.
- After moving around in the stat-window, when I go to the main preview-window and click and release (without scrolling or panning), the yellow tracking cross remains in the view and does not get erased, even when going back to stat-window. There will be a new yellow tracking cross created and so on.

About Garmin tracklogs: If I import a GPX file saved by Mapsource, they use a nonstandard gpxx for the color. Your program gives a little short warning triangle, but ignores the error and continues. GREAT!
But when I save the file with GPX editor, I get a GPX with a nonstandard result:

<extensions>
Red
</extensions>

I maybe wrong, but I think: if you don't accept Garmins 'dialect', why does GPX Editor creates its own?
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2009 :  17:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the feedback.

The typos and grammar error will be corrected in next version.

- This is not a bug, it's a feature : the red crosshair jumps to the nearest existing point.
- This is a bug, the track is not redrawn until you move / resize it. I would classify that one as minor.

The yellow warning triangle isn't about an error, it just appears when no GPX data is loaded (which happens before the GPX is fully loaded).
GPX Editor tries to interpret the extension data but fails as it is not standard. You can write what you want within the extensions tag, but can't hope everybody will understand it.
The "right thing" to do would be to just copy/paste what it encounters in the extensions tag to the saved file, but at the time I wrote this code, I didn't know how to disable the automatic interpretation within those tags.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  11:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to change the behavour of the crosshair, so it wil follow the mousex, disregarding the y, resulting in the nearest X.

So, I thougt: I'll comment all statements out in GPXstat, function TStatPoint.Distance() and replace it with 'Result := Self.X-X'

Strangely, the crosshair does not move anymore.
I do not see why.
Can you tell me where I go wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  11:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't really see the point in not jumping only to existing points, but if you just want the crosshair to follow the mouse, you can change the corsshair drawing routine in main.pas / TMainForm.GPXStatImageMouseMove / Line 4555 :

Canvas.MoveTo(X,0);
  Canvas.LineTo(X,(GPXStatPanel.Height - GPXStatPanel.oy));
  Canvas.MoveTo(GPXStatPanel.ox,CloSP.Y);
  Canvas.LineTo(GPXStatPanel.Width,CloSP.Y);

Edited by - Pixel_K on 22 juin 2009 12:10:27
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  12:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong: It should follow existing points, but only in the x-axes, disregarding the y-difference.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  12:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After playing a bit with the graph, I think I understand what you want (just guessing). To do it You can modify the TStatPointList.FindClosestIndex in GPXStat.pas. I created a FindClosestXIndex which reads like that :
http://pastebin.com/m4944edcc
then call it in GPXStatImageMouseMove instead of the original function :
closest := GPXStatPanel.StatPointList.FindClosestXIndex(x);
If it's what you want, I can add a switch in the settings to choose a version or the other of FindClosestIndex.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 22 juin 2009 12:12:54
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  12:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yessss! That's it.

With your last change, I saw my fault in my trial: I forgot the ABS-function, that's why the crosshair stayed in the corner.

Whatever solution to my problem: the way it now works, seems the realy best of all. I think, the nearestX gives a better feeling and feedback than the nearestXY. I don't need a switch, make it permanent. If using the nearestx, I would recommend to not draw the horizontal crossline, only a vertical one. The horizontal one does cover too much of the profile-line.

I am still wondering about the next: if I have a tracklog elapsing 7 hours, would it be usefull to zoom in (timewise) to better can pinpoint a trackpoint?

About Garmin Mapsource again: I use this application to download tracklogs from my GPSMAP76CSx using the USB-connection. After that, I am saving it in GPX-format, but as you know, it has some dialect.

Do you think (on long term) it would be possible to import tracklogs directly from GPS to GPX Editor?

Edited by - garmin76csx on 22 juin 2009 12:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  12:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I prefer to give the choice to all the user, but I probably make nearestX the default. As your wrote, it feels more natural.

I prefer to cut my long tracks into smaller ones, easier to manage, and faster to show on Google map. The zoom feature on the elevation graph is a feature I wanted to add a few month ago but I never really had the time to work on it.

I don't know how the GPSMAP76CSx works, but, as I already worked on another datalogger (GlobalSat DG-100), those things are not really funny to deal with on a programming level. Each one has its own dialect and you have to re-learn everything for each model. I don't even know how to speak with Garmin devices (as I don't own one) and doing a reliable import is unrealistic without owning the hardware to test it. The DG-100 had a good documentation, I don't know anything about the state of the informations I can get about any Garmin device. An input plugin for GPX Editor would be nice, but infeasible without owning the device and knowing the underground layer of the exchanges with the device.
The shipped Software with the DG-100 was really an horror, but the procedures to talk with it on hardware-level were simple enough for me to have to do only simple reverse-engineering. Doing it without owning one to tinker with is unrealistic.
I know there are other (open) softwares than the official garmin ones to dump the content of those devices, but I know nothing about them.

*** EDIT ***

GPSBabel supports your device.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 22 juin 2009 13:04:28
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  13:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your feedback.

About translating:
There are words with '&', being keyboard shortcuts. When I translate, will the shortcut be replaced with the new one? In that case, I have to be extra carefull to maintain different shortcuts and still looking for a Dutch word.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  16:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Pixel K:

Is it possible to make a selector wich data to show in the statpoints-pane?

- a. Altitude (as is)
- b. Speed
- c. Direction-change (angle)

NOTES:

in b: normally one point has no speed. The time- and positiondifference between two points gives a speed. But wich point gets this property? You could make an average of the results before and after a point and store that as property of that point. The first point has no predecessor, so take next vector. The last has no successor, so take the last vector.

in c: Almost the same notes as in b: the first and last point store '0' as directionchange. The intermediate points could be calculated with the already available routine 'AngleFrom3Points'.

The last option c. is very handy for future development of anti-scatter, but this is at this point also a mighty help for recognizing and editing by hand. You could opt to display all three options at the same time (in different colors), with or without a checkmark for each option. I am very curious about this last option how it will look like.

Please Santa, please

Edited by - garmin76csx on 22 juin 2009 17:02:16
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  21:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would add (d) distance from start. Even if it's just an increasing-only curve, it may prove usefull (combined with the cut here / plant waypoint right-click)

Speed was a long-standing awaited addition, you just gave me the motivation to work on it. I'm not yet decided on the details, so it will take some time to implement.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  21:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 1.1.77 available.

Corrects the typos, let the user choose the method for determining nearest statpoint
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2009 :  23:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixel K: what are you: a magician????

Great!! (well, almost). I did edit a recent posting before you replied (maybe you did not noticed it on time), but I see no use in the horizontal line of the crosshair.
Because you gave it now the option to choose between selectormode, I think it would be wise to skip the horizontal crosshair in the wide-select, and both lines in the width+hight-mode. That way the user can also see the (cross)hair as a status for the mode.

About option d.: I must admit I see no use for myself. But that can change when it is implemented!

I finished the translation, but waiting for your reply about the shortcuts.
Go to Top of Page

pslat

Ireland
1 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  00:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pixel_K,I like the software and it's getting better with each release.I wonder would you consider changing the url line in waypointproperties to //ws.geonames.org/srtm3 instead of //ws.geonames.org/gtopo30 as it gives better resolution, or maybe make it an option? It would be nice to be able to retrieve all point elevations at once but that's another post..
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  14:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@garmin76csx :

Work in progress : 1.1.78 (source only)

Adds buttons to switch between altitude, speed, angle and distance.

Everything works, but I need to refine the GUI and the functions.

@reliable srtm3 are not available for the whole globe. I'll try to add a choice or a fallback to gtopo3.
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, Santa is back in town

But seriously: I concentrated on the drawangle-routine.
There is a mistake going on: if you have a straight line through 3 points, the angle between the two vectors is indeed 180 degrees, but the direction-change = 0 degrees. So it should be 180-angle.

Besides that, it does not matter if one bends left or right, so use the Abs-function.

I changed the line on my system to:
SttPoint.Value := 180-abs(AngleFrom3Points(Point0,Point1,Point2));

But then there comes another problem: if you have a straight track, the drawangle should detect zero difference. If I have an almost vertical track, this is ok, but if using a horizontal straight track, it is not a zeroline in drawangle. I think we have to look into the underlying routines converting gps2ecef and/or anglefrom3points.

*** EDIT ***

Found it: the horizontal track-example gave non-zero degree, because it was a short part on a viaduct. Yes, the AngleFrom3Points includes the height in Z, while expecting the result would be 2d! Tried to delete the Z-part in the calculation itself, but that is not good enough.
So, we have to make a new Angle2dFrom3Points to show the directionchanges in 2 dimensions only.

Question: where can I find info about the original algorithm?

Edited by - garmin76csx on 23 juin 2009 17:38:19
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  21:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And this is 'my' solution:

http://pastebin.com/d6607ebef

This algorithm comes from: http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=675963

This new function gives a very clean and correct 2d-result.

(now I am wondering how to deal with the trackreduction based on angle: wich version where to choose?)

About the statpanel during drawangletime: normally one would run trough the data to get a minY and maxY. We know that the minimum alway be zero, but autoranging the y-scale should be limited. We also know that the maxY can be 180. But thinking on a range data on a straight track, the maxY could be 30 degrees. If we don't limit the 'gain', we will blow up small deviations to unreal spikes.

I recommend limiting the 'gain' to 3. So, if maxY<60, maxY stays 60. Works as a charm!!!

Edited by - garmin76csx on 23 juin 2009 22:37:55
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  18:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a bit busy today, working on a method to reduce the scatter based on speed

I made a procedure to cutout pieces of track:

A start of a scatterblock is searched by getting a preset number of samples and calculate the average speed. If this is lower than a treshold, it will be seen as a possible start of a scatterblock. The procedure will continue try to check if the scatterblock is longer. This proces is done for the total track.

At the end the scatterblock(s) is validated by checking its elapsed time against a treshold, wich is adjustable with the slider from 1 to 60 minutes. Any scatterblock longer than treshold will be shortcut.

The result is reasonable, but scatters with higher speeds than the constant, will not be reduced. The next time I will try to make a procedure based on my original plan (circle,radius,#angles).

NOTE: this procedure replaces the original one (reduce close-points), but is only used as a test.
*** EDIT ***
The published source is the wrong version. I'll be back.

I am back again: here is the source:
http://pastebin.com/m35d2f8d0

Edited by - garmin76csx on 24 juin 2009 19:25:08
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  18:56:22  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WIP : 1.1.80 (not containing your last anti-scatter source yet)
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2009 :  02:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixel K: I don't see any difference

Lets get serious: I have some requests to make it more user-friendly:

-a. When the user selects in menu <options> 2d-selection for the statpane, it would be nice that the horizontal hairline disappeard.

-b. If you agree, add the filtermode 'Reduce Scatter based on speed' for the routine I wrote. Please use a avgmin-constant of 1. (2 is a bit too close to slow walking, like in hillwalking.

-c. Depending on the datasource, add fields 'Speed', 'Course', 'Length' and 'Distance'. With length I mean the vectorlength in meter, Distance as summed vectorlengths in km.

-d. An extra button to display speed(yellow) and angle(black) in the same statpane. The Y-axis then needs no range-label because of the different units. The must overlay correct, starting at 0,0! This is a very good option to see the relationship between the two.

-d. Fixed MinY=0 with angle, speed, distance; MaxY=max(Maxy,60) with angle; MaxY=max(MaxY,30) with speed.

-e. Is there a possibility to freeze the crosshair in the statpane, so one can move to the preview to zoom in on the track at the crossmark without loosing the position selected AND when the user selects the tab 'PointList', the freezed point is centered vertically in the listpane (maybe a lock/unlock-toggle in the mouse-popup over the statpane)?

I am sorry for this long list, but it would be very nice if this all could be implemented.

Can you tell me how I get the translated file to you?
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2009 :  06:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I spoiled you with my WIP releases, you'll have to wait
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  14:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I changed the following regarding zooming in the previewwindow:
a. changed the way the zoomfactor defines
b. changed the unpredictible results from round to trunc
c. added 2 functions to zoom at the cursorposition (I wanted that one!)

Here I will give you changes in sources:

In Main.pas:
http://pastebin.com/m48979c5d

In GPXDraw.pas: (did not @@ the whole new functions)
http://pastebin.com/d11bef390

And I did find a place to prevent sticking crossmarks being added if the user just clicks without zoom or pan, in Main.pas:
http://pastebin.com/d44857346

*** EDIT ***

Pixel K: there are two more windows that could use this function. Instead of writing a functionset for each client, could you standardize it, so it is more genealised. I do (at the moment) have not a good idea how to solve this. Classes and OOPS!

Edited by - garmin76csx on 26 juin 2009 16:59:28
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  22:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
About removing width and height Statpane point selection : I found it usefull to select "off the scale" point, in traces with many points. For example, you know you drove at say 130km/h and there is a spike at 180 in the middle because of GPS position mis-precision. it's much more easy to select the point to delete with width and heigth than with width alone.

quote:
About the statpanel during drawangletime: normally one would run trough the data to get a minY and maxY. We know that the minimum alway be zero, but autoranging the y-scale should be limited. We also know that the maxY can be 180. But thinking on a range data on a straight track, the maxY could be 30 degrees. If we don't limit the 'gain', we will blow up small deviations to unreal spikes.

This means wasting precision, I won't make this change which, in my humble opinion, degrades information.

quote:
-a. When the user selects in menu <options> 2d-selection for the statpane, it would be nice that the horizontal hairline disappeard.

Also, there is a use for it, you can easyly know when you've been as fast or as high as the current point

quote:
-b. If you agree, add the filtermode 'Reduce Scatter based on speed' for the routine I wrote. Please use a avgmin-constant of 1. (2 is a bit too close to slow walking, like in hillwalking.

What should the Value limits be ? What's the unit it is expressed in ?

quote:
-c. Depending on the datasource, add fields 'Speed', 'Course', 'Length' and 'Distance'. With length I mean the vectorlength in meter, Distance as summed vectorlengths in km.

Add where ? What are you talking about ?

quote:
-d. An extra button to display speed(yellow) and angle(black) in the same statpane. The Y-axis then needs no range-label because of the different units. The must overlay correct, starting at 0,0! This is a very good option to see the relationship between the two.

It may be feasible but not with the actual implementation.

quote:
-d. Fixed MinY=0 with angle, speed, distance; MaxY=max(Maxy,60) with angle; MaxY=max(MaxY,30) with speed.

Why in the world ? It's better to use the full available scale (again for precision and to retain the maximum information). I take angle greater than 60°, and my car goes faster than 30km/h. You must also think about the other users.

quote:
-e. Is there a possibility to freeze the crosshair in the statpane, so one can move to the preview to zoom in on the track at the crossmark without loosing the position selected AND when the user selects the tab 'PointList', the freezed point is centered vertically in the listpane (maybe a lock/unlock-toggle in the mouse-popup over the statpane)?

Good idea, i'll try to add that.

quote:

Just upload it to any filesharing website (for example rapidshare) and put the download url here.

quote:

I'll look at those changes.

*** EDIT ***

Your ZoomInAt & ZoomOutAt are just was I was looking for, thank you so much !
I found a better way of getting rid of the "sticky yellow cross" bug, those two modification will make it in the next release.

Edited by - Pixel_K on 26 juin 2009 22:44:47
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  23:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

About removing width and height Statpane point selection : I found it usefull to select "off the scale" point, in traces with many points. For example, you know you drove at say 130km/h and there is a spike at 180 in the middle because of GPS position mis-precision. it's much more easy to select the point to delete with width and heigth than with width alone. I don't know why you write this. We have already the one- and two-way selection to choose from in the option-menu.

quote:

This means wasting precision, I won't make this change which, in my humble opinion, degrades information. The precison is in the data, not in the graphics. Limiting the 'gain' to a min 30 degree makes it more 'readable'. The statusline is telling precise information. I think we have better graphics if we limit the angle-scale from fixed nul, to an end-of-scale of 30..180

quote:

Also, there is a use for it, you can easyly know when you've been as fast or as high as the current point Read my previous comment: the statusline gives precision, the graphics for readability. When you have a nearly horizontal track displayed, it will often be partially hidden by the horizontal line. You hardly can see what you select.

quote:

What should the Value limits be ? What's the unit it is expressed in ? I hope you read my previous postings. Value 1-60, default 5 in minutes as minimum elapsed scatterblock. Everything shorter than this will be untouched.

quote:

Add where ? What are you talking about ?In the tab 'pointlist'. Forgot to mention.

quote:

It may be feasible but not with the actual implementation.

quote:

Why in the world ? It's better to use the full available scale (again for precision and to retain the maximum information). I take angle greater than 60°, and my car goes faster than 30km/h. You must also think about the other users.It look like you don't understand what I mean: by adding above statements, the 'gain' is limited. So (in case of speed): if driving at 130km, max-speed will be 130km/h. If walking (say 6km/h) the end of scale should be 30km/h. So the end of scale not setting to 6km/h. Besides my own use and opinion, I always think about other users. I call them 'one' or 'users'. If users want to have their say, they are hereby invited to use this forum and topic.

quote:

Good idea, i'll try to add that. I think is is of most importance: pinpoint first at the stat-display, look at the track and show the data at that point in the pointlist.

quote:

Just upload it to any filesharing website (for example rapidshare) and put the download url here.

quote:

I'll look at those changes.

You could make the user to decide about the stat-display:
- choose in options for absolute(fixed zero) or relative origin (depending on data)

and

- choose for end-of-scale-(minimum)limiting or full-range.)
Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  23:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made the changes myself: now you can zoom in/out in the preview-window. Thus also when the window splits during edittrackpoints

Changes only made in Main.pas (uses the previous new functions)
http://pastebin.com/m1931f97e

Go to Top of Page

garmin76csx

62 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  23:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to my DEFAULT.PO translated to Dutch (Nederlands)

http://rapidshare.com/files/249015938/default.po.html
Go to Top of Page

Pixel_K

France
839 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2009 :  00:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Pixel_K's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No non-native GPX data will make it into the Point List Tab.
Talking of which, I never really was pleased with this tab, it's near to un-useable on tracks with more than a few hundred points. I can't jump to a chosen line (or at least didn't find how to do it).

About the StatPanel, if the horizontal hairline covers the graph, then there's nothing more to see. and the graph is unlikely to be horizontal if you don't restrain the gain (another reason not to modify it).

Precision in the data has no use if you can't select it in the graphic.
I really want to avoid puting arbitrary limits on data interpretations, trying to stick as much as possible to the reality (when I know how to do it).

Just to be sure we agree on that : I hould add the anti-scater to the filter point dialog, right ?

Using a fixed zero origin when there's no null data is just a waste of space and graphic precision. If you can choose more finely a point, the graph is more usefull.

You're right about the fact that I don't quite understand your choices on what I call the StatGraph precision, if I find a way to implement both views simply I will do it, but it's more difficult to do it when I don't get the point of things so please excuse what may pass for stubbornness.

Tank you for your translation !
WIP 1.1.82 : Binary (with translations embeded) and Source.

Once I get your go, I'll add the anti-scater (it will take time as I will need to re-arange the filter window). I'm still not satisfied with the way I permit the change from one stat to another, any advice is welcome.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05