Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2216

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Smartphones and PDAs with built-in GPS
 [TOPIC] Garmin nuvifone: it's over (10/2010)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  10:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it is a waste of money at all. Garmin is part of the Android alliance so they will work with it in the near future. But that is for the next generation of devices. Meanwhile Garmin is releasing a no nonsense device (as they always do) introducing their new partner Asus. iPhone is a toy/gadget, this is less toy more practical.

"In Europe is Garmin loosing market share to Navigon and TomTom. And many customers dont like the view of the navigation."

emm.. TomTom is still suffering from the occasional stings from Garmin and Navigon in Europe. Who?

garmin is the way.
nuvi 300 > nuvi 350 > nuvi 660 > nuvi 255WT
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  13:40:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure about Europe as a whole, but in France, they are certainly not getting the traction they should after investing heavily for 1+ year now, heck they even fell behind Mio, with numbers like 55% TomTom, 16% Mio and 14% Garmin (citing from memoruy, I for one don't really understand why, but that's the way it is.

Back to the nuvifone, it's hard to argue that this relaunch (after a year of vaporware and the failures of the iQue models), with Asus who failed on the PDAPhone market is good news, that doesn't mean they won't pull it off, but the G60 is not off to a very good start.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  15:22:44  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1348

... I like what I see with the iPod Touch and iPhones, but the monthly plans with data are pretty expensive and many people don't need them. ...

You raise some very good points, but I disagree with this one. Data use is much higher on iPhones than voice, according to several surveys (my own experience bears this out). The standing joke is that we iPhone users say, "Oh, you mean this thing makes phone calls, too?"

Plus I'd bet that there will be similar plan costs for any nuvi phone, no matter how it is divided between data, voice, subscriptions, etc. All carriers look to charge $70-$100 per customer per month.

Finally, the smartphone market is very crowded. The nuvi won't have to "kill" the iPhone to succeed, but it will be in danger of being a bottom feeder, scrambling for crumbs.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  16:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if they don't launch, they will never succeed, period. True that they missed a very short window in time, but IMO, not a valid reason to give up, especially with the brand power of the name and the uniqueness of the offering. iPOD was late to market too -- a market that already had established players in it when Apple launched its first iPOD; now look at who's leading and by what type of margin. They also duplicated that success with the iPHONE. So that's two times in a row against heavy odds, especially with regards to the iPHONE.

Garmin can establish itself as a world player in the Smartphone market, by making the right choices and striving towards that goal. Mio had no chance at that -- they are just another wannabe and have no real R&D capability more than reverse engineering.

Really, there are 3-4 major players in the GPS category. Very few of them have the capability or the cash to get a phone out there successfully, but Garmin has what it takes. It's going to be a tough battle, but one they can endure. No doubt that they can get market share in that market.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  17:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Interesting, not sure what Garmin have to gain with this partnership with Asus though

Maybe this is their first step in distancing Garmin from this product?...
Go to Top of Page

brianq103

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  18:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, MAKES THE FORUMS EASIER TO READ, THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
Along those lines, maybe this was really Garmin doing a favor for Asus.

Mio C720t
MioPocket 2.0 R.32
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  19:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article about this in the Wall Street Journal today. Not much info beyond the press release though: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123376357220148173.html

quote:
Both companies will stop producing phones under their own brand names, and will instead make phones under the Garmin-Asus brand, Mr. Shih said.

Garmin Chairman and Chief Executive Min Kao said the alliance is "advantageous to both companies," because they can pool their research-and-development teams.

Asustek's R&D team for phones employs 700-800 people, while Garmin's team has a few hundred employees, Mr. Kao said. Both companies will share any profits equally, he added.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  19:27:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Both companies will stop producing phones under their own brand names, and will instead make phones under the Garmin-Asus brand, Mr. Shih said.
That's news to me, maybe I read the PR too quickly. That's potentially good news for SiRF as Asus have always used SiRFstarIII chipsets. Maybe they will use the SiRFPrima platform announced at the 3GSM show last year and that also has yet to see the light of day.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

brianq103

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  22:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And not such good news for a few people in R&D at both companies, I imagine.

Mio C720t
MioPocket 2.0 R.32
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2009 :  02:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me it seems like a good move for the NuviPhone. With several models supposedly planned, it should put a lot more copies of the Garmin mobil nav app out on the market. In any case, everything should be clearer by mid month after the Barcelona show and meetings.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 07 févr. 2009 02:36:26
Go to Top of Page

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2009 :  10:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
couldn't find any mention in the press release but the nuviphone should be out in europe by march

garmin is the way.
nuvi 300 > nuvi 350 > nuvi 660 > nuvi 255WT
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2009 :  20:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new issue of Barrons raises the question of whether Apple might be targeting Garmin (and others) in potential IP litigation: http://online.barrons.com/article/SB123396541170758861.html

quote:
Pérez-Fernández says, "Apple has a formidable arsenal of capacitive multi-touch patents that constitute a nearly impenetrable barrier to entry for companies hoping to commercialize capacitive multitouch devices." He views Palm as having the most legal risk because the Pre uses a set of gestures "very similar" to the iPhone's. He adds that HTC, Garmin and Research In Motion also could be vulnerable to litigation since they all have or will soon introduce capacitive multitouch screens.

Interesting article, it then goes on to say that Apple may be headed for trouble as some of its patents have roots going back to research at the University of Delaware.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 08 févr. 2009 :  02:56:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, thanks for the link, we know what kind of damage suits can do, i.e. the SiRF vs Globallocation/Broadcom situation...

Don't think the link was posted before, here is the garminasus site : http://www.garminasus.com/

As far as connected services are concerned, only "Ciao" is new compared to the Mobile XT v5 offering.

Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2009 :  14:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two new press releases:
Garmin-Asus Introduces nüvifone™ M20
Garmin-Asus announce nüvifone G60 specifications
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2009 :  00:24:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, the M20 looks like an Asus PDAPhone with Garmin Mobile XT v5 pre-installed and the new CIAO service, not a lot to get excited about really.

The G60 is more intriguing but other than the size of the screen, I'm not seeing too many "specs" in that PR ;-)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05