Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2401

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Smartphones and PDAs with built-in GPS
 [TOPIC] Garmin nuvifone: it's over (10/2010)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  02:50:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 20101026 : the garminasus partnership is over see details in the News forums.
UPDATED 20100509 - The nuvifone A10 with Android was launched in Paris on May 6th, see details and pictures on page 9.

Updated 02/2010 : Garmin demonstrated the new M10 and A50 nuvifones at the MWC 2010 show in Barcelon last week and I was quite impressed by the A50, very sleek form factor, bright screen, Android Ecosystem, details and pictures on page 8

Updated October 8th : The first US reviews of the nuvifone are dreadful...it seems Garmin are paying a steep price for being 21 months late, after spending quite a bit of time with the nuvifone today at the official European launch I'm beginning to think it's not quite fair. That review is certainly well written, but frankly the "if it had had its debut in 1999" comment is totally uncalled for, had the nuvifone been available in 01/2008 when the the iPhone had no GPS, no 3G and no Appstore, everyone would have been all over it.

My Specific comments :

1. The screen : yes, not capacitive, but for a GPS a matte finish is better and I tried it next to my iPhone and frankly it reacts almost just as well.

2. Yes, it's not a very clever Smartphone, and Garmin don't call it a Smartphone by the way, how big of a problem is that? My iPhone's email client annoys me so much, I read and reply to email using http://mail2web.com/pda/ - the nuvifone will do that too.

3. Web browsing : yes you can't double-tap to zoom, ok so you have to click on +/- and then scroll, I can live with that, especially since it renders www.GpsPasSion.com very well ;-)

4. Price : yes, it's expensive and the extra monthly subscription is a bummer, the optional $25 car charger is a huge mistake (courtesy of AT&T is seems as it's bundled in Europe where it's sold as a standalone device for now).

5. The NYTimes review very justly talks about the stellar integration of GPS navigation. On all existing Smartphones it's an afterthought, especially on the iPhone, where the apps are expensive, have no connected services, and you need to buy a powered mount.

-> I wrote just above that I only consider using my iPhone as GPS guide as a backup, but if I owned a nuvifone I don't think I would have a problem using it as my main GPS.

-> To me the biggest problem is battery life, as on all smartphones. I need a phone I can rely on at all times, not a Smartphone that dies after two hours of (take your pick) 3G/WiFi/GPS. This is unacceptable to me and not very far from a "fraud", so I have an iPhone for "play" and an HTC Touch Dual as an advanced phone. Can't see the nuvifone replacing it with its 1200mAh battery that won't do any better than my iPhone if I walk around London and use it as a guide. The nuvi 255 did the job last year and when the batteries ran out, I could still call my wife and meet up.

@Jim1348 - I checked and the multiple destination routing is indeed available (one of the last icons in "where to") and also offer stop optimization.

Updated September 30th : Garmin nuviphone to finally launch in the US on October 4th, 2009 with AT&T, see the details on page 6.

Updated February 4th, 2009 : Garmin are "relaunching" the nuvifone with an industrial partner, Asus, details below and on page 3.
quote:
Cayman Islands and Taipei, Taiwan/February 4, 2009/Business Wire — Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) and ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (TAIEX: 2357) today announced a strategic alliance that will leverage the companies' navigation and mobile telephony expertise to design, manufacture and distribute co-branded location-centric mobile phones. Garmin and ASUS have already begun joint development on a diverse mobile phone product line, which will be known as the Garmin-Asus nüvifone™ series. The companies expect to bring to market several Garmin-Asus nüvifone models in 2009, and a new Garmin-Asus nüvifone model will be announced at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona, Spain, February 16-19, 2009.

Posted 01/2008 : Source: Garmin US
Official videos :
http://www.youtube.com/v/qy9NCr_n0wE
http://www.youtube.com/v/YtD4USzpoLI

I think this is reaching myself : engagdget
[/center]

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  12:09:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There were rumours of a Garmin phone, as well as a TomTom phone, but this is quite a surprise, it seems to have it all, 3G+, GPS, Wifi/Bluetooth (based on the screenshots), Camera with geotagging, Google Local. I wonder what OS and what type/resolution they are using though.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  15:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like a bit of a risky strategy to me, but an interesting product.
Go to Top of Page

svec7186

30 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  17:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has anyone noticed that the next turn is now available at the top of the screen. i hope garmin brings this feature to all nuvi's in future udates.
Go to Top of Page

Idearat

7 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  21:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not terribly surprising. I still have stashed away a Garmin NavTalk phone. Back in the analog days it you could call a server and report your position, have a server call it and get your position. If you called someone else with a NavTalk you could exchange positions and see each other on your respective map displays. At the time it supported the same maps as their other current handhelds.

I hope they keep the function for swapping locations with someone.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  22:39:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right, that was quite a device, I seem to remember it was launched at CeBIT 2003, let's see...nope can't see it there http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=46 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2008 :  11:21:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Official videos
http://www.youtube.com/v/qy9NCr_n0wE
http://www.youtube.com/v/YtD4USzpoLI

What a voice ;-)

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  10:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q3 2008? Like SiRFprima?

Could be?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  13:28:50  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In one of the videos it shows a glimpse of the virtual keyboard. Either they are going to be sued by Apple [g], or they licensed the technology, or ... who knows. But it reinforces that the iPhone forever changed the landscape.

From a competitive standpoint, it's hard to imagine the nuviphone stealing current iPhone customers. It's only a little easier to imagine it pre-empting potential iPhone purchases, especially if Apple releases better location software prior to Q3 2008 (fairly likely).

That said, it looks way cool and if I didn't already own an iPhone and two nuvis . . . [g]

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  21:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given that I have a single Nuvi, and no iPhone, I'll probably wait for a NuviPhone...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  22:05:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice form factor too, a few pictures here - where did you see the virtual keyboard Dan ?

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  22:14:45  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out around 1:22 into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD4USzpoLI

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2008 :  15:35:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it, I made a screenshot :

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2008 :  18:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, you mean the on-screen feedback when a key is pressed.

The shoes do not mix well with her dress...

Edited by - smiley1081 on 13 févr. 2008 18:08:24
Go to Top of Page

SwissFreek

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2008 :  23:20:05  Show Profile  Visit SwissFreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder what this means for the chances of seeing Garmin software developed for the iPhone. I suspect the odds are not great, which would be a shame since like someone said above, those with iPhones most likely won't give them up for this device. Sure would be nice to have that software on my iPhone, though, and use a little BT puck.

Also interesting: the fact that you can geocode the images, and then if the phone gets a picture with geocoding in it, you can navigate to that location. Hopefully they didn't use some proprietary method to do this and just use the JPEG's EXIF data, so we could they could theoretically implement this in their other devices, or better yet, other software could play a part as well. Say, a Google Maps plugin that you can use to "send location" like some GPS software can do. Would also be nice to use MMS to send a location WITHOUT a picture, and just have the phone know to use the map application with whatever extension they give the file.

Not sure if I'm being totally coherent today, but I'm very excited to see this device and even more excited to see some or all of its features ported over to other Garmin products once they feel that it would no longer scavenge sales of the nuviPhone...

SwissFreek
CoPilot Live 8 (iPhone) - Garmin GPSMap 60CSx - Garmin Mobile PC v5
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 28 févr. 2008 :  18:00:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Potential delays for the Nuvifone ? Nuvio Sues Garmin Over Nuviphone

"KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Internet telephone provider Nuvio Corp. said Wednesday it has sued navigational device marker Garmin Ltd. over the name of Garmin's new wireless phone.

Nuvio, which is based in Overland Park, Kan., filed suit Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Kansas, saying Garmin's proposed Nuviphone name infringes on its own Nuvio trademark.

"While we would have preferred to settle this without resorting to a lawsuit, we felt it was important to ensure that our customers and potential customers are not confused by someone abusing our legally protected trademark," said Jason P. Talley, the company's chief executive officer. "Our customers commonly refer to our service as the Nuvio phone."

Talley wouldn't disclose the number of customers that Nuvio has but said it generated between $5 million and $10 million in revenue in 2007.

Garmin, which is based in the Cayman Islands with operational headquarters in Olathe, said earlier this month it will introduce the Nuviphone by the end of the year. The phone would include many of the standard features of Garmin's Nuvi line of GPS devices now used in cars and trucks and help the company compete with wireless carriers now including navigation aids in their phones.

Besides preventing Garmin from using the Nuviphone name, Nuvio said it also wants to bar the company from using the Nuvi name on any of its regular GPS devices. It also has demanded damages from past infringement.

Garmin spokesman Ted Gartner said the company doesn't comment on pending litigation. He said Garmin first introduced the Nuvi line in North America in early 2006 and had sold Nuvi products in Europe before then.

Shares of the company, which have sold in a 52-week range of $50.01 to $125.68, lost 59 cents to close at $61.19 in trading Wednesday."

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2008 :  19:03:46  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got a hold of the nüvifone prototype at the Garmin conference in Paris last week, non-functional software, nice hardware !

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2008 :  23:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'll take two.

Let us know when the NDA meets the Dodo...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2008 :  15:34:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish...I have no privy information on the nüvifone at this point :-( I have a few more pictures I'm happy to share though :

The nüvifone is very thin !

On its car holder - front

On its car holder - back

Go to Top of Page

rancho1

354 Posts

Posted - 18 mai 2008 :  08:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks good. It switches to vertical for pedestrian mode, but I wonder if it can also be mounted vertically for driving so you have more screen space ahead instead of to the sides?
It has nice online services like Google Local search which can be handy, but does anyone know if it will route if you have only a satellite signal and no cellular coverage? I know other phone navigation systems stream the maps over the cellular data network, so they are completely useless if you are out of their coverage area.

It looks small and thin, but that may also mean it has a weak speaker that will be hard to hear over road noise. It would be great if it had a loud speakerphone built-in so a seperate bluetooth handsfree kit wouldn't be needed for making calls at highway speeds.
I have never seen a phone that was loud enough to be used handsfree effectively on the highway using only the built-in speaker and microphone.

It will also have music player. I certainly hope it's a much better music player than the one built into their current devices and will be able to easily sync music and playlists from a computer. If so, it would be a good alternative to the iPhone.
If the new iPhone has a good nav system available, I'll probaby get that instead since I know every company will be bending over backwards to make their products compatible with the iPhone, whereas there might be some compatability issues with a phone from a company like Garmin that may be given a low priority.

Edited by - rancho1 on 18 mai 2008 09:30:22
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2008 :  19:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article today at TheStreet.com: http://www.thestreet.com/story/10421823/1/garmin-takes-huge-risk-with-smartphone.html

quote:
the company is likely to face a margin squeeze right out of the gate as it tries to price the device to better compete with smartphone makers like Apple, Research In Motion and Nokia.
Garmin's greatest threat will be from Apple, which just raised the stakes by pricing its upcoming, faster 3G iPhone -- which also has GPS capability -- at $199.

Oppenheimer analyst Yair Reiner says:

quote:
"Getting to the viable price of $199 could involve considerable pain," Reiner adds. At a $200 subsidy from the carrier, Garmin is likely looking at a product margin in the mid-teens, estimates Reiner.

Compare that to Reiner's estimate of mid-to-low 30% gross margin for Apple's iPhone. Another analyst, Carl Howe, director of enterprise software research at Yankee Group, says the 3G iPhone could be Apple's most profitable product yet, with margins of around 50%.

I agree this is a risky bet for Garmin. Especially at $200; that should make a lot of people think twice about getting a regular Nuvi and I suspect margins on those are higher.

Edited by - Boyd on 18 juin 2008 19:50:05
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2008 :  20:36:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True, this looks like a tall order and they might be faced with a problem device, not as good as the iPhone for the Smartphone aspects and not as good as a nüvi AIO for navigation (think "mirror" screen, terrible battery life, poor sound). They might be better off canning it and moving on...

Go to Top of Page

rancho1

354 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2008 :  22:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is only an alternative to a regular Nuvi if you are on or are ready to switch to the carrier it's offered on and the phone's functionality is good enough to switch to it as your phone.

If they sold for $200, if would be $200 to the customer after the carrier subsidy. Garmin would get more than $200 and the carrier would discount it to customers who sign up for 2 years of service.

If Telenav turns out to be the iPhone's only navigation option, this phone will compete well if it can do everything a regular Nuvi can without dependence on the cell carrier's network coverage.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2008 :  22:56:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just caught this "hands-on" video on YouTube -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwCJMqFWUck at a tradeshow apparently, looking pretty good, nice interface for sure !

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2008 :  17:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That does look nice. Appears to be stronger hardware than they are using with the current Nuvi's. I wish they showed more examples of navigation and the map though.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2008 :  21:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin has just delayed the launch of the NuviPhone until the first half of 2009. See: http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRelations/releases/Q22008EarningsPressRelease.pdf

Nüvifone Update
The nüvifone will not be available in fourth quarter as previously announced. While we had hoped to have carrier launches in the fourth quarter, we have found that meeting some of the carrier specific requirements will take longer than anticipated. We remain pleased with carrier interest in the device and are working toward making necessary design changes to meet their requirements. We anticipate launching the product during the first half of 2009.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2008 :  22:39:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, it's certainly a tall order competing with the new iPhone 3G with GPS...

Go to Top of Page

rancho1

354 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2008 :  23:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been an extreme disappointment and has sent Garmin stock tumbling:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djhighlights/200807301421DOWJONESDJONLINE000832.htm
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2008 :  19:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an article in the technology section of Barron's this weekend which covered some comments by Avondale Partners analyst John Bright (http://online.barrons.com/article/SB121944461402364909.html?mod=9_0001_b_this_weeks_magazine_home_right). Regarding the nuviphone:

He concludes that the company "faces the risk of competition from the auto OEM [original-equipment manufacturer] market, where it has limited participation, and the smartphone market, where it sells software for some models, but no devices of its own."

As he notes, Garmin on July 30 said that it would delay introduction of its GPS-oriented smartphone, the Nuvifone, from the third quarter of this year to the first half of 2009.

"We are skeptical about this effort, as Garmin aspires to participate in a highly competitive marketplace in which it has no prior experience," writes Bright. "And it faces the risk of cannibalizing its existing [portable navigation device] sales."
Go to Top of Page

reddogg634

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2008 :  18:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest article on NUVIFONE as of 10/29/08:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10614

Shody
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2008 :  19:52:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up, brief extract
quote:
Garmin said Wednesday that it nuvifone, a GPS enabled phone, is on track to launch in the first half of 2009 and should hit carrier labs in the earlier part of the year.

Garmin added in a statement that it has signed letters of intent with carriers, but wouldn’t provide further details until the nuvifone gets closer to launching.

Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2008 :  00:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like we may actually see the Nuviphone in the first half of 2009 as Garmin just received FCC approval for it today. See http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10123333-1.html?tag=nl.e433

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2008 :  02:22:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, looks like it's on its way now!

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 02 janv. 2009 :  02:25:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Garmin is drumming up some interest for the nüvifone : http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/nuvifone/media_gallery.jsp

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2009 :  21:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to wonder how authentic some of those screenshots are. For example, the image of the map screen is 1400 x 793 pixels. Look how smooth the fonts are in the speed, Menu and Arrival fields. Now compare that to the jaggies on the map. That has to be a simulated screen.

What is the native resolution of the NuviPhone screen? I recently got a Nuvi 205 on sale and was rather shocked at how poor the font display is on the 320x240 screen (although I'm used the the Nuvi 5000 with its 800x400 screen) . It can be downright hard to read some of the text on the 205. I hope the NuviPhone does a better job of this.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2009 :  10:25:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing 800x480 for the resolution, that's the new "sweet spot", as seen on HTC Touch HD for instance. That should make for a pretty sharp display on that small scren. Hope it's not the 400x240 of the Samsung i900, I doubt it.

I'm still not convinced by the concept, at least as far as using it as a primary phone, on the other hand millions seem to be using their iPhone like that. Not sure how they get through the day if they use 3G or WiFi or GPS for any meaningful amount of time. I think these devices our great as "mobile internet devices" but I like to have my phone on hand knowing it will get me through a day or two. It's an HTC Touch Dual so it has power to spare if need be.

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2009 :  17:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My iPhone is working out just fine for all my needs. But I don't talk on the phone a whole lot. I was initially concerned about battery power for a long day, but it's rarely a problem. And I'm used to recharging in the evenings, although sometimes I can make it through two days if I'm not using the internet much.

I think the NuviPhone is going to be a tough sell. Clearly nobody is going to exhange their iPhone for one, and the competition for smartphones is pretty brutal. But having one more choice for the consumer is probably a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2009 :  17:26:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't talk much on the phone either, but want to make sure I can if I need to, and with heavy data use (3G or WiFi) or mp3 listening and the odd GPS lookup, I find my iPhone 3G lasts only a few hours :-( I got a jacket with a 1500mAh battery for it so that helps some but it can't charge it with WiFI/3G+MP3+GPS.

The nüvifone won't have the wonderful iPhone developer community, on the other hand it will have GPS assisted navigation, it might work better for me actually ;-)

Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2009 :  18:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my iPhone 3G, but sometimes I think that I should have gotten an iPod Touch and a separate phone. The phone part of the iPhone isn't that great and my Nokia gets much better reception and battery life. Unfortunately it doesn't have a GPS (E61i). I'll be seriously looking at the Garmin.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2009 :  21:31:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd thought of the Touch, but the GSM module is a must for me, I use my iPhone as a 3G modem via USB, can be done via WiFi too. This is typically the type of "enhancement" that likely won't be possible on the nüvifone, as it's bound to be locked down tight, like the nüvis!

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2009 :  21:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually got an iPod touch before the iPhone, and it hooked me on the whole idea of having a real browser and e-mail client in my pocket. After awhile I got frustrated when I had to spend the day with no WiFi available so I caved in and got an iPhone. It is far from perfect, but I'm still happy.

I sold the Touch to a good friend, but she got busy at work and by the time she was ready to finally start using it she realized that an iPhone made more sense too. So I refunded her money, got a dock for the touch, and now it sits tethered to my stereo at home...
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2009 :  15:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
News of the Garmin / Asus nuvifone announcement was posted on the Engadget website today...

Cayman Islands and Taipei, Taiwan/February 4, 2009/Business Wire — Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) and ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (TAIEX: 2357) today announced a strategic alliance that will leverage the companies' navigation and mobile telephony expertise to design, manufacture and distribute co-branded location-centric mobile phones. Garmin and ASUS have already begun joint development on a diverse mobile phone product line, which will be known as the Garmin-Asus nüvifone™ series. The companies expect to bring to market several Garmin-Asus nüvifone models in 2009, and a new Garmin-Asus nüvifone model will be announced at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona, Spain, February 16-19, 2009.

"We believe that converged devices are an emerging opportunity," said Dr. Min Kao, chairman and CEO of Garmin Ltd. "This alliance is advantageous to both companies because it allows us to combine our resources and establish a strong foundation from which we will innovate and introduce the world to the benefits of LBS-centric mobile phones. We've been working with ASUS for over one year on the initial nüvifone that was announced in 2008 on the basis of an ODM relationship. Learning from this experience, we concluded that by leveraging and combining our respective industry-leading areas of expertise at a higher level, we will be able not only to significantly expand our product line, but also to shorten our product development time. We believe that through this strategic alliance we are uniquely positioned to deliver the world's best integrated and most compelling GPS-enabled mobile devices."

"This alliance allows ASUS and Garmin to seamlessly combine the strengths of both companies to offer market leading mobile phone solutions that are of the best design and highest quality. ASUS and Garmin both believe strongly in the continuous investment of R&D resources to unfailingly provide leading-edge innovations to people and businesses," said Jonney Shih, CEO of ASUSTeK Computer Inc. "Through this alliance, our companies will continue to develop innovations that simplify life. Our technologies should accommodate our customers, not the other way around. We believe all devices should perform and communicate seamlessly not just anytime and anyplace, but in real time, in real places, and we're confident the nüvifone series will meet this objective."

All Garmin-Asus nüvifone devices will continue the product vision of the original nüvifone and will be LBS-centric devices that seamlessly connect, communicate and navigate. The original Garmin nüvifone that was announced in 2008 will be re-branded as the Garmin-Asus nüvifone G60. The Garmin-Asus nüvifone G60 is expected to be delivered in the first half of 2009, and additional information about the Garmin-Asus nüvifone G60 will be released at the Mobile World Congress trade show.

LBS functionality is core to the Garmin-Asus nüvifone series, which will offer the same turn-by-turn, voice-prompted navigation features found on high-end Garmin portable navigation devices (PND). It has preloaded maps and millions of points of interest that allow drivers to quickly find a specific street address, establishment's name or search for a destination by category. In addition, the nüvifone includes quick access to online points of interest through internet enabled local search. The nüvifone harnesses the power of the worldwide web and information about local merchants and attractions is continually updated. The nüvifone also features Ciao!™, a social networking application that bridges the gap between multiple location based social networks and integrates them seamlessly into one device.

The Garmin-Asus alliance was disclosed during a press conference in Taiwan on February 4, 2009. Analysts or journalists unable to attend the Garmin-Asus announcement in Taiwan are invited to participate in a webcast or via phone on February 4, 2009, at 11:00 am EST (10:00 am CST). Webcast details are available at www.GarminAsus.com/pressroom.

http://www.garminasus.com/garminasus/cms/welcome

Edited by - Dewi on 04 févr. 2009 15:04:29
Go to Top of Page

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2009 :  15:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you beat me to it Dewi :D
i am sold.. i was waiting for the blackberry storm
but this will do juuuuust fine

garmin is the way.
nuvi 300 > nuvi 350 > nuvi 660 > nuvi 255WT
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2009 :  18:20:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, not sure what Garmin have to gain with this partnership with Asus though, actually disclosing that Asus had developed the hardware for the nuvifone. It seems a partnership with carriers would have been more promising for the nuvifone. It's not like Garmin needed brand recognition or distribution channels, we shall see...

Go to Top of Page

riply

Netherlands
20 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  00:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion this is a complete waste of money etc. Garmin have spoiled their changes by delaying their phone with a year. I mean look at the market right now, apple will release the new iphone probably in a few months. HTC and Google are going to bring new phones out. The advantage of their brands, they are world wide know. In Europe is Garmin loosing market share to Navigon and TomTom. And many customers dont like the view of the navigation. Ausus is known for their motherboards and thats it. The phones were commercial flops. It is realy a small group who gonna buy these products.

A other problem is the os. Windows mobile of android. A new os is very hard to introduce and they need a lot of money for the marketing. In these times, i dont think they will have succes.
For example MIO, they have also a phone introduced a 702 etc but never heard of it anymore.

But from the other side. PNA are at the end off live, buf thats life. They have to continue otherwise is it about 2 to three years sluss ende also for TomTom what will be ealier if they continuing on this path.

Maby i'm wrong, but today you image is more importent then the stuff you make.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  04:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that it will be interesting. I think that it is just another example of a company looking for a share of the profit. That is not a bad thing. I have seen many products over the years where the market is flooded with many different brand. In time only a few will remain. We have already seen it with stand alone GPS devices. As popular as the iPods and iPhones are, they don't have door to door navigating. Google maps have a place, but many people want more. I see the next versions of iPods and iPhones to add door to door navigating, though. Obviously Apple has a very successful product, but it is not for everybody. I think the competition will be good and will bring prices down a bit. I like what I see with the iPod Touch and iPhones, but the monthly plans with data are pretty expensive and many people don't need them. They may be well served by just having a snartphone that works on a pre-paid plan that also has a GPS and wi-fi browser built in. I think one of the short comings of the Apple devices is closed source architecture. Granted, Apple has quite a following in computers, but I know that I like having choice over what I install in my devices.
Go to Top of Page

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  10:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it is a waste of money at all. Garmin is part of the Android alliance so they will work with it in the near future. But that is for the next generation of devices. Meanwhile Garmin is releasing a no nonsense device (as they always do) introducing their new partner Asus. iPhone is a toy/gadget, this is less toy more practical.

"In Europe is Garmin loosing market share to Navigon and TomTom. And many customers dont like the view of the navigation."

emm.. TomTom is still suffering from the occasional stings from Garmin and Navigon in Europe. Who?

garmin is the way.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  13:40:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure about Europe as a whole, but in France, they are certainly not getting the traction they should after investing heavily for 1+ year now, heck they even fell behind Mio, with numbers like 55% TomTom, 16% Mio and 14% Garmin (citing from memoruy, I for one don't really understand why, but that's the way it is.

Back to the nuvifone, it's hard to argue that this relaunch (after a year of vaporware and the failures of the iQue models), with Asus who failed on the PDAPhone market is good news, that doesn't mean they won't pull it off, but the G60 is not off to a very good start.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  15:22:44  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1348

... I like what I see with the iPod Touch and iPhones, but the monthly plans with data are pretty expensive and many people don't need them. ...

You raise some very good points, but I disagree with this one. Data use is much higher on iPhones than voice, according to several surveys (my own experience bears this out). The standing joke is that we iPhone users say, "Oh, you mean this thing makes phone calls, too?"

Plus I'd bet that there will be similar plan costs for any nuvi phone, no matter how it is divided between data, voice, subscriptions, etc. All carriers look to charge $70-$100 per customer per month.

Finally, the smartphone market is very crowded. The nuvi won't have to "kill" the iPhone to succeed, but it will be in danger of being a bottom feeder, scrambling for crumbs.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  16:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if they don't launch, they will never succeed, period. True that they missed a very short window in time, but IMO, not a valid reason to give up, especially with the brand power of the name and the uniqueness of the offering. iPOD was late to market too -- a market that already had established players in it when Apple launched its first iPOD; now look at who's leading and by what type of margin. They also duplicated that success with the iPHONE. So that's two times in a row against heavy odds, especially with regards to the iPHONE.

Garmin can establish itself as a world player in the Smartphone market, by making the right choices and striving towards that goal. Mio had no chance at that -- they are just another wannabe and have no real R&D capability more than reverse engineering.

Really, there are 3-4 major players in the GPS category. Very few of them have the capability or the cash to get a phone out there successfully, but Garmin has what it takes. It's going to be a tough battle, but one they can endure. No doubt that they can get market share in that market.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  17:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Interesting, not sure what Garmin have to gain with this partnership with Asus though

Maybe this is their first step in distancing Garmin from this product?...
Go to Top of Page

brianq103

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  18:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, MAKES THE FORUMS EASIER TO READ, THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
Along those lines, maybe this was really Garmin doing a favor for Asus.

Mio C720t
MioPocket 2.0 R.32
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  19:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article about this in the Wall Street Journal today. Not much info beyond the press release though: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123376357220148173.html

quote:
Both companies will stop producing phones under their own brand names, and will instead make phones under the Garmin-Asus brand, Mr. Shih said.

Garmin Chairman and Chief Executive Min Kao said the alliance is "advantageous to both companies," because they can pool their research-and-development teams.

Asustek's R&D team for phones employs 700-800 people, while Garmin's team has a few hundred employees, Mr. Kao said. Both companies will share any profits equally, he added.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  19:27:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Both companies will stop producing phones under their own brand names, and will instead make phones under the Garmin-Asus brand, Mr. Shih said.
That's news to me, maybe I read the PR too quickly. That's potentially good news for SiRF as Asus have always used SiRFstarIII chipsets. Maybe they will use the SiRFPrima platform announced at the 3GSM show last year and that also has yet to see the light of day.

Go to Top of Page

brianq103

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2009 :  22:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And not such good news for a few people in R&D at both companies, I imagine.

Mio C720t
MioPocket 2.0 R.32
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2009 :  02:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me it seems like a good move for the NuviPhone. With several models supposedly planned, it should put a lot more copies of the Garmin mobil nav app out on the market. In any case, everything should be clearer by mid month after the Barcelona show and meetings.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 07 févr. 2009 02:36:26
Go to Top of Page

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2009 :  10:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
couldn't find any mention in the press release but the nuviphone should be out in europe by march

garmin is the way.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2009 :  20:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new issue of Barrons raises the question of whether Apple might be targeting Garmin (and others) in potential IP litigation: http://online.barrons.com/article/SB123396541170758861.html

quote:
Pérez-Fernández says, "Apple has a formidable arsenal of capacitive multi-touch patents that constitute a nearly impenetrable barrier to entry for companies hoping to commercialize capacitive multitouch devices." He views Palm as having the most legal risk because the Pre uses a set of gestures "very similar" to the iPhone's. He adds that HTC, Garmin and Research In Motion also could be vulnerable to litigation since they all have or will soon introduce capacitive multitouch screens.

Interesting article, it then goes on to say that Apple may be headed for trouble as some of its patents have roots going back to research at the University of Delaware.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 févr. 2009 :  02:56:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, thanks for the link, we know what kind of damage suits can do, i.e. the SiRF vs Globallocation/Broadcom situation...

Don't think the link was posted before, here is the garminasus site : http://www.garminasus.com/

As far as connected services are concerned, only "Ciao" is new compared to the Mobile XT v5 offering.

Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2009 :  14:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two new press releases:
Garmin-Asus Introduces nüvifone™ M20
Garmin-Asus announce nüvifone G60 specifications
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2009 :  00:24:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, the M20 looks like an Asus PDAPhone with Garmin Mobile XT v5 pre-installed and the new CIAO service, not a lot to get excited about really.

The G60 is more intriguing but other than the size of the screen, I'm not seeing too many "specs" in that PR ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2009 :  00:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the press release didn't specify much, but they did add the specs to the G60 product page here.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2009 :  00:39:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, posted below for reference. Linux it is then, open in theory but it probably won't be easy to add software unless they make code available to access the harware. Still wondering what OS and what GPS chipset they are using...Battery looks weak at 1100mAh for such a large screen, probably looking at a couple of hours with GPS or 3G or WiFi running at full throttle.
quote:
[b]Specifications/b]
2G Connectivity: Quad-band GSM / GPRS / Edge 850/900/1800/1900
3G Connectivity: 850/1900/2100 HSDPA 3.6 Mbps
Other Connectivity: 802.11 b/g WLAN, Bluetooth, HFP, HSP, AVRCP, A2DP mini-USB 2.0
Dimensions: 112 x 58.1 x 14.6 mm
Weight: 137g (battery included)
Display: 3.55" 65K colors, anti-glare resistive touchscreen
Display Resolution: 272 x 480 WQVGA
Camera/Photos: 3MP camera with auto-focus and geo-tagging
Flash Memory: 4GB on-board 128 MB RAM
Expandable Memory: Micro SD, HC Capable, expandable up to 16GB
Music Player: MP3 capable
Headphone Jack: 2.5 mm
Battery: 1100 mAh removable/rechargeable lithium cell
Email: POP3, IMAP 4, IMAP idle, SMTP
Internet: HTML browser based on Webkit platform
Calendar/PIM: Outlook contacts and calendar
Productivity: Document viewing: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, JPG

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2009 :  01:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the press release the "Navigation functions are linked to frequently used applications such as calendar, contacts, email, internet applications and more". Interesting also is that the maps are pre-loaded, and it looks as tho they will ship with an active mounting cradle, similar to the 7xx nuvi series. Obvious that it's being positioned as a serious navigation device. It seems to me that this may be Garmin's answer to the TomTom "live" series, offering all the currently planned TT features that I've seen (other than HDTraffic, which won't be available in North America for quite some time anyway) and much more. With the included mounting cradle, it will operate and mount much as the current nuvi line, with numerous added "live" features from social networking (gypsii and Ciao) and live traffic to common gas price and weather services. If these do what they are supposed to, they look to be the first serious challenge to a stand-alone pnd. Only drawback that I see right off is the smallish screen. But iPhone users seem like they'd be happy if they had a real nav app on their small screen. By using an active mount, battery life is not much of an issue (and I betcha the mount fits the Garmin beanbag), pre-loaded maps saves a lot of data requests and delays, and if they're using the Garmin mobile app as their starting point for navigation, it's very customizable, top-notch IMO. I've been using it for about a month on my Blackberry. Until now I've been kinda ho-hum about the nuviphone. Now I'm anxious to take a look. Sure would solve a lot of issues, tho it's been noted they're not positioning this, at least for now, as a pedestrian device. It will surprise me if the nav app is standard mobileXT since, with pre-loaded maps, a hybrid of the mobile and current nuvi system would better serve them.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 13 févr. 2009 01:36:00
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2009 :  01:43:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't really seen anything that indicates the navigation software is different from the excellent "on-board" Garmin Mobile XT v5 that runs on Windows Mobile devices and that we've discussed at length here : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56827 - The version on your Blackberry relies on a different "off-board" concept.

The only real weakness of Garmin Mobile XT is that it doesn't update traffic information once you've set out on your trip for some odd reason.

On the nuvifone concept, it is indeed interesting that they are playing them as "connected car systems" with all the required accessories, although that's not really new, Windows Mobile PDAPhones have been sold like that for years, Mio A701, Asus P750, etc...You make a good point about the size of the screen, 2.8" is small and 3.55" in a wide format is too. The other issues is screen legibility, PDA "borderless" screens tend to be pretty "shiny", but Garmin have done very well in the "brightness department" with the nüvi lineup compared to the competition, so let's hope they do it again here.

Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 16 févr. 2009 :  01:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engadget has posted a hands-on G60 video.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2009 :  03:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPSCity has the G20 (U$499/C$499) and G60 (U$599/C$699) available for pre-order.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2009 :  04:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. I was wondering if this would be sold as an unlocked phone and now we have the answer. Considering how fast Garmin comes out with new models, perhaps these will be about half price a year from now. I think that it will also be interesting to see how many people buy these and then just get a pre-paid sim card to just have voice service only. That is how I use my Pharos GPS Phone 600 now with Garmin Mobile XT. I would love to have the web, but I really can't justify the cost right now. I suspect that by the time this is actually available City Navigator North America NT 2010 might be available in the US.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 10 mai 2009 :  19:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Delayed again!

Olathe, Kansas —Garmin will again delay the launch of its nuvifone GPS/smartphones to the second half of the year, it said during a conference call with analysts May 6.

Garmin president and COO Cliff Pemble said, “Smartphones are complicated and bringing one to market that’s built totally from the ground up on a custom Linux platform is not an easy task.” The company said it is in the testing phase of the certification process and said cellphone carriers remain very interested in the product.

Garmin originally planned to launch a nuvifone in the third quarter 2008 and then more recently slated shipment of a consumer aimed Linux-based G60 nuvifone in the first half under a partnership with Asus, followed in the second half by an M20 device aimed at mobile professionals running Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, also under the Garmin-Asus partnership...

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6656887.html?rssid=84
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 mai 2009 :  20:01:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was at Garmin France on Thursday for a presentation on the nuvi 1xxx models and Zumo 660 and I asked about the nuvifones...nothing specific, they're working on it and it's "coming along OK", not time yet to hold our breath...

Go to Top of Page

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2009 :  14:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Register Your nüvifone#8482;
Connect your nüvifone.

Step 1: Install software
Installed! Continue to Step 2.

At the top of this window you may see an image similar to:

Steps:

Click on the security information bar above and select Install ActiveX Control to proceed.
Next, you will be presented with a security warning dialog box similar to:

Click Install to proceed (wait times expected)
Follow prompts to prepare map update.

Step 2: Connect your nüvifone.

I just noticed a new menu in myGarmin under product registration.
It became more graphic and the nüvifone was added.

garmin is the way.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2009 :  16:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's being released in select Asian markets within 45 days or so.

Go to Top of Page

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2009 :  09:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got a newsletter from Garmin Belux stating that the nuvifone G60 (linux based OS) will be available in Belgium next month. Priced 599 EUR.

garmin is the way.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2009 :  09:45:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, that's expensive, do they mention any discount if you buy it with a phone subscription?

I had the opportunity to handle a working G60 in July and wasn't really impressed. Nice enough of a device with a decent web browse, but nothing earth shattering overall. GPS wise I was also unable to find a satellite status screen, annoying !

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2009 :  15:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin mentioned last week that they probably won't be announcing any major European carrier for the initial nuviphone model, the G60. They did express confidence that they would have one by the time the other already announced Garmin/Asus phones were ready next year.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2009 :  19:53:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I heard that too, wonder who's going to buy the G60 in these conditions. It's bound to fail unfortunately, and this might hurt the nuvifone concept for the future...they might as well go to stage 2 directly.

Go to Top of Page

wifi

66 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2009 :  12:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been waiting for so long for this phone, and now I'm able to get it through my Malasian friends.
I was always under the impression that it was going to use Google's Android.
As it's using Garmin's own Linux disto, and as it's closed, I'm unfortunately going to say no to it :-(

The G60 price is in Malasia (without a provider and unlocked) is +/-350 euro
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 29 sept. 2009 :  01:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engadget has a leaked FAQ post that indicates the G60 will launch with AT&T in the US on October 4th:
- $300 on a $30/month data plan, 2 year contract
- an extra $6/month for "premium" services (i.e. connected traffic, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 sept. 2009 :  02:03:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, looks like a money guzzler...they are due to be launched in Europe on October 8th. I played with one recently, can't say I was really impressed, nice device for sure, but I'll stick to my iPhone and to my AIO(s) if I'm leaving for a long drive.

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 30 sept. 2009 :  23:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewi

Engadget has a leaked FAQ post that indicates the G60 will launch with AT&T in the US on October 4th

More than just a "leak" Garmin officially announced it on their website yesterday as well:

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2009/09/att-and-garmin-announce-a-new-mobile-navigation-era-with-nuvifone-the-navigation-phone.html?activeBranchId=newsroom

quote:
DALLAS and OLATHE, September 29, 2009 — AT&T* and Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) today announced the Garmin nüvifone G60 will be available beginning October 4 only for AT&T customers in the U.S. in AT&T stores and online at www.wireless.att.com.

http://www8.garmin.com/nuvifone/

But it is curious - there are multiple links there to AT&T for more info. But when you go to AT&T's site, there is nothing about the Nuvifone. It is not even listed on their smartphone page. Perhaps a bunch of links will appear on October 4.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pda-phones-smartphones.jsp

Looks like the Nuvifone is arriving with a whimper instead of a bang.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2009 :  05:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped by my local AT&T store this evening and tried the Garmin Nuvifone G60. I liked what I saw, but it does seem to be overpriced compared to other devices available. I will wait and buy one used eventually.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2009 :  12:05:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What other devices were you comparing it to, what is their price ?

But yes, neat little device with a good browser, but the screen is quite a bit smaller than on my iPhone, I have pictures somewhere, let's see...actually the screen in itself doesn't seem to be that much smaller, but it's not flush with the case :

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2009 :  10:58:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nuvifone unboxing video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igkr0bT7Cew

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2009 :  22:11:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PC Magazine didn't like it : http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353744,00.asp : 2/5 !

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2009 :  02:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It actually looks like Garmin Mobile XT may be more feature rich as far as GPS functionality goes. For example, it doesn't look like the Nuvifone will do multiple destination routing.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2009 :  01:44:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not the most user-friendly feature so I wouldn't be surprised if it had been nixed.

An even worse review for the G60 than PC Magazine's : http://gizmodo.com/5374720/garmin-nuvifone-g60-gps-phone-review-do-not-buy

Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2009 :  18:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry they launched this with ATT. With iPhone's guzzling the bandwidth on the 3G network, I would have hoped they would have launched with T-Mobile. To be honest, I do want my next smartphone to have a GPS so I can find things using search engines linked to location, but not as my navigation device, although it would have been nice when I forgot the exact location of the parking lot I left my care in while in downtown Chicago (I did remember the hotel next to the lot).

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2009 :  22:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will probably get one eventually, after it has been out for a while. I would probably buy it used and then get it unlocked and insert my T-Mobile SIM card. It will be interesting to see how well it works with T-Mobile.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2009 :  22:45:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@daveo - yes, that's pretty much how I use my iPhone, GPS for LBS (position in Google Maps, picture geocoding, live tracking for relatives when I'm on the road, etc...) and for guidance only if I've forgotten one of my AIOs (happened to me once!).

As I wrote in the news item on the portal http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=69 when the nuvifone was announced the iPhone had no GPS and no 3G and no Appstore (or barely), how things have changed!

Go to Top of Page

blane

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2009 :  19:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Pogue, the Technology writer of the New York Times, gave it a terrible review in the October 8, 2009 paper.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/technology/personaltech/08pogue.html?_r=1&ref=business

Edited by - blane on 08 oct. 2009 20:03:30
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2009 :  20:17:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it seems like Garmin are paying a steep price for being 21 months late, after spending quite a bit of time with the nuvifone today at the official European launch I'm beginning to think it's not quite fair. That review is certainly well written, but frankly the "if it had had its debut in 1999" comment is totally uncalled for, had the nuvifone been available in 01/2008 when the the iPhone had no GPS, no 3G and no Appstore, everyone would have been all over it.

My Specific comments :

1. The screen : yes, not capacitive, but for a GPS a matte finish is better and I tried it next to my iPhone and frankly it reacts almost just as well.

2. Yes, it's not a very clever Smartphone, and Garmin don't call it a Smartphone by the way, how big of a problem is that? My iPhone's email client annoys me so much, I read and reply to email using http://mail2web.com/pda/ - the nuvifone will do that too.

3. Web browsing : yes you can't double-tap to zoom, ok so you have to click on +/- and then scroll, I can live with that, especially since it renders www.GpsPasSion.com very well ;-)

4. Price : yes, it's expensive and the extra monthly subscription is a bummer, the optional $25 car charger is a huge mistake (courtesy of AT&T is seems as it's bundled in Europe where it's sold as a standalone device for now).

5. The NYTimes review very justly talks about the stellar integration of GPS navigation. On all existing Smartphones it's an afterthought, especially on the iPhone, where the apps are expensive, have no connected services, and you need to buy a powered mount.

-> I wrote just above that I only consider using my iPhone as GPS guide as a backup, but if I owned a nuvifone I don't think I would have a problem using it as my main GPS.

-> To me the biggest problem is battery life, as on all smartphones. I need a phone I can rely on at all times, not a Smartphone that dies after two hours of (take your pick) 3G/WiFi/GPS. This is unacceptable to me and not very far from a "fraud", so I have an iPhone for "play" and an HTC Touch Dual as an advanced phone. Can't see the nuvifone replacing it with its 1200mAh battery that won't do any better than my iPhone if I walk around London and use it as a guide. The nuvi 255 did the job last year and when the batteries ran out, I could still call my wife and meet up.

@Jim1348 - I checked and the multiple destination routing is indeed available (one of the last icons in "where to") and also offer stop optimization.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2009 :  20:25:50  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My two cents is that Pogue nailed it, as he often does (disclosure: I was a minor contributor to his iPhone "Missing Manual" book and got one free, autographed copy for my trouble [g]).

Where he really gets it is when he notes how many areas the nuviphone falls short in other than nav. Recent studies show that iPhone users are consuming fewer voice minutes than many other smartphone customers (OK, this may be a reflection of AT&T's lousy call quality too) and I know that I use mine as a pocket computer much more than a phone.

As such, it would make a less than perfect GPS and so I am happy with it for computing and my nuvi for nav.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 08 oct. 2009 20:26:47
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2009 :  23:11:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pictures to accompany my previous comments :

(Blank) multi-stop trip page :

Browsing in style ;-)

(back) of Car mount :

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2009 :  03:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is getting horrible reviews as a phone. The navigation feature is secondary.

The tech bloggers really hate despise the PND form altogether. Every roll out is an excuse for them to put another nail in its coffin. They hate TomTom the most though. They loved the Dash which was a disaster because it had some techy features not supported by their map provider yet.

As a heavy user of gps I couldn't disagree more but if I was a light user the updated maps and real time traffic from a good smartphone app would do the trick for $10 a month.

Go to Top of Page

dcnuvi

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2009 :  06:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consumer reports. org has some comments on the Nuvifone. Not very flattering, the forecasts for Garmin's future is bleak too.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/auto-parts/portable-gps-navigation-systems/garmin-nuvifone-g60-smart-phone-first-look/overview/index.htm

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/10/test-drive-garmin-nuvifone-g60-review.html

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/gps_navigation/index.html

Check them out and the comments as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2009 :  03:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now selling for $99.99 on Amazon.com.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2009 :  03:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know how long manufacturers and carriers typically contract to carry a phone? For example, is their likely a US exclusivity agreement between Garmin and AT&T for one year? Or are they longer or shorter? I will probably get one of these eventually, but I am assuming that AT&T will offer these for how ever long the contracts specifies and then quit carrying it. I had always sort of hoped that this would be offered as an unlocked phone in the US, but I doubt that will ever happen. I suppose my best bet is to buy one used from Ebay in the future. Also, I see that it can be purchased from AT&T without a contract for $549.99 or from Amazon for $499.99. Is it pretty unlikely that the no commitment price would ever come down? I have even though about buying one from another country if it has Google Local Search. Do you guys think that at this point there is anything Garmin could do to boost sales of this? Would waiving the additional fee for premium connected services and adding Google Local Search back in help much?
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 03 janv. 2010 :  18:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family and I are making plans for a trip to Florida soon and I would like to have more current maps than what are on my Garmin Mobile XT micro SD card. I am now considering buying a Garmin Nuvifone G60. I am just wondering if anybody here that has used both Garmin Mobile XT and the Garmin Nuvifone G60 can compare and contrast the differences between the two for me. I do know that the Garmin Nuvifone G60 has added spoken street names, other than that they look pretty similar.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2010 :  14:08:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Should be getting a G60 test unit tomorrow!

In spite of the poor reception (and failure ?) of the first nuvifone, Garmin and Asus are forging ahead with the M10 based on Android. By the way what happened to the Windows Mobile based M20?

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2010 :  17:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did order one of these from Amazon on Sunday, January 24, 2010. They were offering free two day shipping. However, apparently that really means three days, since it arrived on Wednesday, January 27, 2010. I was home when the UPS truck arrived and I figured the first thing to do was to try and get it unlocked, since I am a T-Mobile customer. The US version is subsidy locked to AT&T and can't do anything, except dial 911 until it is either unlocked or an AT&T SIM card inserted.

One of the first things I did was call AT&T Customer Service and ask for an unlock code. They asked for my IMEI number and told me that I would need to send a facsimile of the receipt showing that I paid retail price for this. I was told that it would take 48 hours. I was okay with that since that would mean I would get it by Friday evening and have the weekend to try it.

Two days passed and I called again Friday night to check on the status. This time I was told it would take 72 hours. I called again a couple of times was not able to get the unlock code until Friday, February 5th, 2010 from AT&T. During that time I was told that only AT&T can issue the code, but that it comes from Garmin.

In the meantime I was getting nervous because we are getting ready to go on vacation and I wanted to be able to use this. I actually tried two different unlock companies. I check with Remote Unlocks first http://www.remoteunlocks.com/ They allow you to enter your IMEI number to see if your phone can be unlocked. I felt pretty confident because after entering the IMEI number, I received a message that states, "Your phone details have been successfully submitted and our system shows your Garmin phone can be unlocked immediately." I proceeded with PayPal payment and a short time later I received an email stating, "Requests are generally processed within 12 hours, however please allow up to 24 hours before receiving your details." I thought to myself that immediate must means something different to them. Anyway, the following morning I get another email.

"We have been unable to obtain an unlock code for your phone using the imei number supplied. Although this model is generally un-lockable, there are instances where codes cannot be generated. This is due to unique phone variables and cannot be predicted in our preliminary report.
As an apology for this, we would like to offer you a full refund and a free unlock code for your phone as soon as one becomes available on our database. Alternatively you can use this free credit for an alternative phone.

We would like to offer you a full refund for this and we offer our apologies for the inconvenience.
Refunds are usually processed within 48 hours, however please allow up to seven days for funds to reflect in your account.

If you have any issues please contact us.

We have offered some further advise below on possible options you now have.

Next Step

1) You can contact your service provider and ask them for a code, however if you have excessive time left on a contract they may not allow this. This option can be free.

2) Specialist shops are available in commercial areas. They can unlock the phone directly using a cable. Prices can vary for this service.

3) You can download certain software from the internet which may make it possible to unlock your phone using your USB cable, however this can be risky and may damage your phone or firmware.

Again we apologize for this and hope you have more success unlocking your phone in future."

So by this time I am getting nervous since I had just bought a new Garmin Nuvifone G60, I can't seem to get an unlock code from AT&T or Remote Unlocks, so at that point it seemed like I had just spent $219.99 for something I can't use.

I even tried CellUnlockStore.com. They, sent me the following:

"Dear Customer,

Sorry I have been unable to generate the correct unlock code for your mobile. There are so many mobile out there sometimes the firmware on certain versions mean I cant generate the code.

I have sent your details over the accounts team who will send you a refund. Although normally quicker please allow up to 7 days for the refund to get back into your account.

Once again I apologize for not being able to get the correct code for your mobile. Your only option may be your network operator or a local shop who can unlock via a cable.

Best Regards,
cellunlockstore.com"

So, by this time I am even more worried, but I tried AT&T again, and was finally able to get the unlcok code from them. I entered it and it opened up the Nuvifone immediately. I made a test call with my T-Mobile prepaid SIM card and it worked fine.

I apologize for the length of this post, but hopefully it will be beneficial for anybody considering a Garmin Nuvifone G60, especially if they want to not get a data plan and use it primarily as a cell phone and GPS.

One of the first things people need to know is that this isn't an iPhone. If you want an Iphone and the accompanying contract and data plan, then get it. I, however, usually have a laptop computer at work with a wireless aircard in the car with me. I can't justify the expense for a phone that I don't use that much. I also want a GPS that works independent of the cellular towers.

To give a little background, I still have my Garmin StreetPilot 2730 that I bought used. It works great, but it is getting a little bit dated by today's standards. I also have a Garmin Nuvi 500, that has been taken over by my wife. Finally, over a year ago I bought a used Pharos GPS Phone 600 (Eten Glofiish X500) that I use with Garmin Mobile XT. Probably many of my comparisons over the next few days will be between the Pharos/Garmin Mobile XT and the Garmin Nuvifone G60.

Anyway, I anybody is still considering a Garmin Nuvifone G60, it can be unlocked, but prepare yourself to wait to get it unlocked. Since Amazon dropped the price even further to $199.99, it may get more interest. I will probably follow up with some observations of this device in the future.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2010 :  20:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Should be getting a G60 test unit tomorrow!

In spite of the poor reception (and failure ?) of the first nuvifone, Garmin and Asus are forging ahead with the M10 based on Android. By the way what happened to the Windows Mobile based M20?

The M10 is using the latest WinMo, 6.5.3-powered AFAIK. But as you mentioned, Garmin is also set to unveil their Android-device, a mid-level model rather than premium. That may help with sales if the price can stay mid-range as well.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2010 :  21:12:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'll make sure to check it out at the MWDC2010 in Barcelona in a couple of weeks, not feeling too optimistic for that venture though...

@Jim1348 - quite the adventure ! How much did AT&T charge you for the unlock ? Keep us posted on your impressions. I haven't used my test unit much so far, will try to hook it up to my PC tonight to see what shows up, hopefully like a nuvi.

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2010 :  00:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not that optimistic either. But Garmin/Asus appears committed. Five phones are rumored to be planned for this year, with two already announced. At least one of the other three will be using WinMo7 according to the same source.

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2010 :  00:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AT&T did not charge me for the unlock code. All they wanted is the faxed copy of the receipt showing that I purchased it from an authorized dealer. I used it for a trip today and I must say it is much smoother to use than my Pharos GPS Phone 600. I certainly do like the addition of the spoken street names. We leave for Florida tomorrow, so I should be in a better postion to comment after that trip.
Go to Top of Page

demonfatal

France
40 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2010 :  01:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salut a tous!
J'ai ramené un NUVIFONE G60 d'un voyage a singapoure mais l'interface du téléphone est en Chinois ou Anglais...
SAVEZ VOUS COMMENT RAJOUTER LE FRANCAIS POUR LE MENU?? IL Y A UN MOYEN DE LE FAIRE??
Merci d'avance de votre aide.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all!
I come back to singapore with a NUVIFONE G60 but the lanuage interface is chinese or English ONLY.
So, Do you know a way for get this interface menu in FRENCH please?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by - demonfatal on 07 févr. 2010 01:39:02
Go to Top of Page

vs2

11 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2010 :  08:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. New here.
Seems like I have been following jim1348 all over the forums concerning the G60.

I got mine from ebay (AT&T) and sent to NZ. I borrowed an expired AT&T SIM from a friend to get past the lockout to have a play. I thought if I flashed over the ATT firmware with the APAC (Singapore) one I downloaded I could get a unlocked phone with the latest firmware and all the goodies it comes with. WRONG!! Do not try this. After it tranferred via webdater and I pulled out the USB it just sat at the ATT screen and did nothing. I let it sit for 30 min and still nothing. I thought I had bricked it as I could not enter USB Mass storage mode. I tried everything (removing battery for 10 min, removing SIM etc etc) While I was playing around I did find something interesting. If you hold down the camera button and volime up button, then power on you get 5 blips of vibration then my PC (win7) tries to load a driver but fails with inrecognized device. This must be a way in via Linux?? Anyway I pulled out the battery waited a few minutes then inserted the usb cable with battery still out until a bettery error icon came up then I inserted battery and waited. Voilla - after about 10 min the unit became recognized in mass storage mode and I could access the drive. I copied everything over to my PC then deleted all maps,logs,.xml's, bins on the nuvi drive. Unplugged USB and pulled the battery and started back up. It went to mass stprage mode again but I waited (thinking it was writing the garmindevice.xml) and after a few minutes the screen came up. I went in and did a master reset and phone shutdown and booted up and all is good now. Copied all the stuff back over to the Nuvi drive except logs,updates and garmindevice.xml as a new one was generated. Phone is working perfectly.

As far as the ATT unlock goes I also tried GSMliberty and unlockitnow and like Jim1348 they could not find the code from my IMEI. So I called ATT who told me to call Garmin as ATT had no reference to my IMEI I provided them. I called Garmin support who did have a reference to my IMEI?? Long story short I did get my unlock code from Garmin (via ATT)

I wanted to get a few more into NZ but with this unlock hassle I won't bother until someone figurea a way around it.

I think the firmware update could be done to other regions but it would involve editing the garmindevice.xml (I think)

I like the phone but wish it had MMS. Also is there anyway to get a reminder sound for missed calls,SMS. Thanks.

Stock Asus Padfone 2 (64gb) with integrated Garmin Streetpilot
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2010 :  05:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Nuvifone details:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/02/garminasus-n%C3%BCvifone-m10-and-a50-announced.html

The Nuvifone A50 interests me the most because of the Android platform. I really enjoy Slacker Radio and maybe the Slacker Radio Android version will work on the Garmin Nuvifone A50.

I noticed that it lists GPS: Qualcomm GPSOne, Assisted GPS, Aided GPS and standalone GPS supported.

And under Advance Navigation/LBS feature: European maps & POIs, Connected Services2, Indoor location3, Junction view with lane assist3, Where am I?, Where's My Car Parked?, Track Logs & Route Planning.

It looks like that means I can still use the Garmin mapping software while inside a building where I would not otherwise have stand alone GPS signal reception. That could be a handy feature. One article mentions that it does this by Cell-ID and Wi-Fi positioning.

Edited by - Jim1348 on 15 févr. 2010 18:28:20
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2010 :  12:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vs2

Also is there anyway to get a reminder sound for missed calls,SMS. Thanks.

I believe a firmware update released yesterday adds that function.

Go to Top of Page

vs2

11 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2010 :  02:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote snipped] Thanks but it will not update via webupdater or my dashboard. Do you have a link to it? Cheers.

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2010 :  15:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4831

and here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4839

Go to Top of Page

vs2

11 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2010 :  18:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks gatorguy.

That is for the 'Atlantic' version. There are 5 versions:

AT&T
APAC
Atlantic
Sunrise
Poland, Czech Rebublic and Greece

I have the AT&T version and have yet to find a way to update to another regions fimware. I have tried many different ways to update from AT&T to APAC with no success.

Do you know a way? I think it has something to do with the
'garmindevice.xml' doc on the nuvidrive.

Do you have the 'Atlantic' version? If so could you PM and maybe send me a copy of this .xml.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2010 :  22:45:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nuvifone A50 and M10 at MWC : I spent some time at the Garmin booth at the MWC 2010 show in Barcelona last week and was quite impressed by the new A50, sleek form factor (flush screen like the iPhone), very bright screen, Android v1.6 platform but with some 2.1 enhancements like multi-touch with full access to the Android "eco-system" (market for third-party apps) so it's not a closed system like the G60. The Windows Mobile based M10 is less spectacular but is still an improvement over the current models.

Here are some pictures :

New nuvifones : A50 and M10

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2010 :  00:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice post and some great photographs. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2010 :  15:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
That is for the 'Atlantic' version. There are 5 versions:

AT&T
APAC
Atlantic
Sunrise
Poland, Czech Rebublic and Greece

Do you have the 'Atlantic' version?

Thanks.

I haven't seen mention of the Atlantic version for the G60 yet. Sunrise update was just pushed out a few days ago, so i would expect the Atlantic one sometime soon.

Edited by - gatorguy on 27 févr. 2010 15:12:45
Go to Top of Page

NickH

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2010 :  05:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using a Nuvifone M20 and M10 for about two weeks now and thought that I'd relate my first impressions, both good and bad.

They're not available in Australia yet but I got them off ebay from Singapore.

They are both great phones and also great PDAs, with all the expected office sync things. Apparently it can even automatically switch your phone to silent when you're in a meeting, though I wouldn't know since I avoid meetings where possible.

The browser on the M10 (Opera) is great and the 800x480 WVGA screen makes web browing quite acceptable. The screen on the M20 (VGA 620x480) is a bit to small for my liking for web browsing.

Ok - now to the interesting stuff. The navigation on both is excellent although I have always preffered the IGO navigation (when the Miotac mio had it on their phones).

The brouchures for the M20 says that it speaks street names (TTS) but I don't believe that it does. Maybe there will be a firmware upgrade sometime. The TTS works perfectly on the M10 and of course,
being a Garmin, you can load routable OSM maps onto either of them.

Track logging works on both (but more of that in another post).

Now to the cameras.

The M20 has a 3MP auto focus and the M10 5MP no auto focus.
Like most phone cameras they are both great for close up work, copying documents and happy snaps an videos at parties.

The M20 is like other phones in that landscape shots and other holiday snaps are pretty much useless.

However the M10 (with no auto focus) uses what is called EDOF (extended depth of field) and the quality of it's landscape shots is quite amazing. It even compares favourably with "real" digital
cameras (10MP leica lens etc). This makes the M10 the only true AIO device (IMHO).

Ok - so which Nuvifone am I going to use....

Both. During the week, I don't need the better navigation to get from home to work, or the better holiday camera or the better mobile web browser but I do prefer the smaller dimensions and nicer look
of the M20. It also slips more easily into any pocket.

However on weekend or on holidays, the M10 is going to be an invaluable asset.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2010 :  05:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the post. Since T-Mobile has announced the Garminfone in the US (Garmin Nuvifone A50), I suspect it won't be long and we will be reading reviews on it soon.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2010 :  12:07:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing, looks like you found a nice "combo" ;-) I hadn't heard of EDOF before but it seems like it performs well. Pictures from Smartphones have certainly improved a lot over the years and given some good light my iPhone 3Gs performs reasonably well and it it takes geocoded photos. I know the nuvifone A50 does that (see the pictures above), not sure the Windows Mobile version can too ?

Go to Top of Page

NickH

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2010 :  12:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome, gpspassion.

Yes, both the M20 and M10 can geocode their pictures.

From the specs of the A50 it appears that it does not have EDOF. I think this is a real pity since I believe that EDOF is so good that it is the hardware equivalent of a "killer app".

In two years, I predict that you won't be able to give a mobile phone away if it doesn't have this feature.

I have some small problems with the M20 and M10. I've had a couple of "hangs" whilst navigating
so their is probbly a few bugs still surviving in the O/S and firmware.

More annowingly, the track points logs are very intermittant. I've set the option to record "most often" and sometimes you get one second points but very often it will go five to ten seconds without logging a point.

I thought this might be due to active sync's annoying trait of starting itself up at what seems random times, but tests tonight show that this behaviour is inheirent in both the M10 and M20.

I'm used to all my Mios recording points exactly as requested, except the Mio A702 which would record exactly every 2 seconds even if asked to record every second. ( I think Mio hacked it because of poor CPU performance worries, but I'm not sure).
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2010 :  13:43:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will need to read about EDOF, would you say it's better than AF in terms of results ? Faster to focus for sure but can't work to well for close shots ?

As for logging, are you using the built-in feature of MobileXT ? Since you can still install third party apps on WM, at least for now with WM6, you could try the good old VisualGPS CE that I used for my GPS performance testing. Sewe is a nice app too and more elaborate : WM Smartphone and PDA Config. Utility - SEWE v0.8 although it's advanced settings only work on SiRF chipsets.

Go to Top of Page

NickH

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2010 :  14:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BeelineGps on the M20 records perfect logs, so I think the problem is with the software (Mobile XT).

EDOF is light years ahead of AF. I think this issue is so important that I'll say no more for a few days. By then I'll post my first comparison tests, although once they're converted by flickr, who knows what is reality. This weekend I'll try to get some more controlled tests with all cameras I can get my hands on, including an Olympus Om2n.

The EDOF seemns just as good as AF at close up and as you say, no focusing time.

The only drawback, as with all slim mobile phones, is that there is no optical zoom, so if you need to compose that special picure or you are a bit too far away from it, then you still really neead a "real" camera.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2010 :  01:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's some smartphone apps, like Barcode scanners or others that need close up highly focused images, that may have problems with an EDoF camera.

http://tinyurl.com/2bu9hdu

Go to Top of Page

NickH

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2010 :  21:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After some initial playing with QuickMark and i-nigma....

Both The 3MP autofocus (M20) and EDof (M10) were quite happy decoding 2D barcodes (QRcode semacode DataMatrix) i-nigma was much better and easier to use.

The EDof couldn't scan any 1D codes but the autofocus was not much better. It occasionally scanned the image (both off LCD or paper) and sometimes got it right.

However I'm no power user of barcodes, so I'll do some more testing with the 1D codes.
Go to Top of Page

NickH

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2010 :  11:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a bit more info (bad for the M10 this time)

Today it got itself into a situation where it wouldn't ring on an incoming phone call. It would just give a continuous vibrate but no audible alert, despite it working when tested from "settings". I don't know if I helped this happen but no amount of setting changes, reboots or even hard resets helped. I had to do a "restore factory defaults".

I really hope it doesn't do this again anytime soon.

PS - my favourite tag reader is now back to Quickmark since, on decoding a URL it sends your browser straight there whereas i-nigma directs you through their marketing database before sending you where the tag wanted. It seems Microsoft-tags Scanbuy and JagTag do much the same thing as i-nigma although at least i-nigna tells you where it is about to go (unlike Microsoft-tags).
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2010 :  12:58:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I've been quite happy Quickmark on my iPhone as well, scanned a code from an ad in the tube the other day, good fun and informative. Hopefully they can adapt their software for the EDOF technique. I was pretty impressed by what I read in the article linked by gatorguy, really quite smart what they are doing. It's not only efficient on a phone but also unique in the sense that no camera provides that type of depth of field. Shouldn't be too long for it appears as an option on digicams though (maybe it has already?) as the Sony DSLRs offer HDR now, something similar but for exposure.

Garmin-Asus nuvifone A10 launch - May 6th, 2010 - I was at the Android based Garmin A10 launch in Paris the other day and alas it doesn't have EDOF. I asked Garmin about it and they didn't seem to think EDOF was that great of a breakthrough. The A10 has the same sleek interface as the A50 and the same neat GPS related features such as being able to view any geocoded picture on the map, something that's coming on the iPhone 4.0 OS I understand, at last !

Here are some pictures of the A10 :

It has a large 1500mAh battery - Audio Out - Compared to the iPhone 3Gs

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 04 juin 2010 :  11:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the differences between the A10 and the A50?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 juin 2010 :  11:43:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Size mostly : 3.5" / 2.8" screen and no pad in the bottom, battery is the same, so the battery life will be better.

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 05 juin 2010 :  11:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, hopefully one day I will see them together in a shop, and see which one to get (the third option is the LG LinkMe, for the keyboard)
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 10 juin 2010 :  09:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a bit of cut and paste of the specs from the UK and Italian versions of the Garmin-Asus site, and created a side by side comparision of the A50 and the A10.

http://web.mclink.it/MC4187/GarminDroids.pdf

These are the Droids we are looking for...

The A10 has a smaller display, better battery, more memory and a better camera, it seems...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 juin 2010 :  12:36:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, I thought I remembered Garmin telling me they had kept the same battery with a smaller screen so the battery life would be better, but you've foud they are in fact using a 1500mAh battery on the A10 vs 1150mAh on the A50 ! Well that's good news...might make me make the jump to Android then ;-)

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2010 :  10:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The manuals!

A10, customised for Australian provider
http://www.garminasus.com/en_AU/support/nuvifone-a10-manuals.html

The A50 page on the Garmin (not GarminAsus) website...
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=52024
Its manual page, sadly empty:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=80&subcategory=105&product=010-00846-10

So... No FM radio (audio)? DRATS!

What about RDS-TMC?

The A10 is model 010-00881-10
The A50 is model 010-00846-10

Edited by - smiley1081 on 23 juin 2010 10:19:24
Go to Top of Page

Mr. M

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2010 :  16:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am wondering if one can submit (load) routes, made by e.g. Mapsource in the A10.
I see in the manual that routes (created on the device) can be saved and opened when convenient.
Would that .gpx files?
And can the A10 connected to Mapsource?

I can image that one would recieve a cite tour in gpx and would like upload it to the A10

The A10 has been delivered in Australia with Anroid 1.6. Let's hope the A10 can be upgraded to 2.1 or whatever.
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  09:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say yes, and if it cannot, a proper version of MapSource will be made available.

And for Android, an upgrade to Eclair is already rumored. FroYo, who knows?

Just ask Garmin: "When will the FroYo upgrade be available?" to start their cogs and wheels in movement.
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  16:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found a bit of info about the price of an A10 in the Netherlands, with a contract.

http://shop.telfort.nl/telefoons/Overige/Garmin-Asus-Nuvifone-A10.html

Obviously, if I had understood correctly what's written.

I had seen another page quoting it a 330 leuri, but I cannot find it anymore.

BTW, this morning I added a bit of info in one of my previous messages.
Go to Top of Page

oldbar

2 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  07:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have The Garmin asus A10 and I am on my third phone.
This phone has turned into a major disapointment.
The first phone the widgets kept disapearing.
The second one it went Blue screen and went into a USB polling mode and it froze this was not a one off either.
Now the third phone has done the same and also has a problem with map rendering as well.
I have spoken to garmin who are looking into it.
So far my advice is wait till the bugs are ironed out.
I would not recommend this phone to anyone .[ed]

Edited by - oldbar on 22 juil. 2010 07:13:56
Go to Top of Page

Mr. M

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2010 :  12:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your feedback.
I read many troubles on Australian forums as well.
Will go for the HTC Desire

Regards, Marten
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2010 :  16:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote snopped]Where can we find these Australian fora?
Go to Top of Page

Mr. M

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2010 :  21:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we are:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1288321.html

Bought the HTC Desire this week. Will be delivered next week.

Marten

Edited by - Mr. M on 05 août 2010 21:19:18
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2010 :  09:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read the whole thread, and it seems to me that there is a single user which needs an exorcist, as the other users seem happy with their new phone.

Someone should tell them to stay away from the Dashboard, for firmware upgrades...

BTW I asked Garmin Italy when I will be able to get an A10. I am still trying understand their answer. I also tried their phone support number. Never been able to get a human operator.

Mr. M, given that you live in the Netherlands, is the A10 available there?

Is it available without a contract and unlocked?

How much does it cost?

I had thought about getting it in Australia, but it is a bit more than a bridge too far, and it would have australian maps...

OTGH, the Netherlands are nearer to Italy, and I haven't visited them since 1994 and I still have not decided where to go on holiday...

Edited by - smiley1081 on 11 août 2010 09:58:43
Go to Top of Page

Mr. M

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2010 :  11:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, is available in the Netherlands. Only available with contract and KPN (www.kpn.com)
Enjoy the Netherlands if you visit it :)
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2010 :  09:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gpspassion, the next time you meet somebody from Garmin, would you mind asking them when the A10 will be available in Italy?

Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2010 :  09:26:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure when that will be, but OK! I'm afraid the A10 is already past its prime though, since it's almost 6 months old ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Mr. M

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2010 :  10:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would leave it ... Garmin will probably as well.

see: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6881WD20100909

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2010 :  14:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A tip of the hat to Spazmogen for this find:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69O1B020101025
quote:
Asustek to end cellphone cooperation with Garmin
(Reuters) - Taiwan's Asustek Computer Inc said on Monday it would end its mobile phone cooperation agreement with Garmin, clearing the path for the navigation device maker to exit the smartphone business.

Asustek, which sells laptops and mobile phones carrying its own name, is set to give more details on Tuesday, a company official said.

"The smartphone market is seeing huge growth, but the Garmin-Asus alliance has, to date, delivered disappointing volumes," said Canalys analyst Tim Shepherd.

Garmin will now likely seek to close its own smartphone business as it has indicated it is ready to do, Shepherd said.

In September, Garmin, the No. 1 U.S. maker of personal navigation devices (PNDs), told Reuters it will decide over the next couple of quarters the future of its struggling smartphone unit, and is ready to exit the business if it does not achieve success.

A spokesman for Garmin did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

For Garmin, the smartphone exit could improve its earnings and ease the investments it's been making in order to try to impact the competitive smartphone market.

"It makes sense and it wouldn't be surprising should it prove true," Oppenheimer analyst Yair Reiner said.

Garmin could now be at liberty to pursue the business of selling navigation apps for the iPhone and Android devices, Reiner said.

Its Dutch rival, TomTom, offers an application for the Apple iPhone.

Garmin smartphone sales totaled $27 million in the June quarter.

Shares of Garmin were up 1 percent at $32.20 in early Monday trade on Nasdaq. They have lost 15 percent of their value in the last six months, trailing a 2 percent drop in the broader S&P index in the same period.

The challenge for Asus would be to create a smartphone business on its own or with a new partner.

Without the value-added differentiation opportunity in the form of a high-quality navigation offering its alliance with Garmin provided, Asus faces the challenge of offering something unique in the crowded smartphone market, Shepherd of Canalys said.

(Reporting by Argin Chang; Additional reporting by Tarmo Virki in Helsinki and S. John Tilak in Bangalore; Editing by Louise Heavens)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2010 :  01:31:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's it, the garminasus partnership is officially over : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138211

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  21:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting last night, some US Garminfone owners have been able to upgrade their Android OS to 2.1
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Garminfone/2-1-is-here/td-p/545592/page/4
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  22:22:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting but best to repost in the Garminfone (aka A50) topic -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=134738

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2010 :  13:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just bought a Garmin A10 for €169. At the price it's almost a theft...

http://www.euronics.it/acquistaonline/telefonia-e-smartphone/smartphone/a10/prod102009557.html
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2010 :  21:16:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good deal indeed, after their "termination" that was to be expected. Let's hope Garmin are able to keep on updating them like most of their legacy GPS systems. Let us know how you like it.

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2010 :  09:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother is asking if it would work in Japan.

My answer was: "As a GSM phone, NO, as a UMTS/2100 phone 99,9% yes", am I correct?

About the legacy, my 2006 Nüvi 310 received its latest update in January, not bad for a 2006 navigator.

Edited by - smiley1081 on 01 déc. 2010 09:46:40
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2010 :  10:48:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, not familiar with what they use in Japan, and I'm not sure what frequencies the A10 has, but generally speaking GSM phones will work at Edge speeds on GSM networks around the world but not always 3G, in the US for instance AT&T is 850 or 1900mhz and T-Mobile is 1700/2100.

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2010 :  20:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A strange video on the A10.

Note that is says: "Full featured Garmin Nüvi 1690 navigation system"...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05