Erreur dans la requête SQL

Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1933

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Smartphones and PDAs with built-in GPS
 [TOPIC] Garmin nuvifone: it's over (10/2010)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  02:50:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 20101026 : the garminasus partnership is over see details in the News forums.
UPDATED 20100509 - The nuvifone A10 with Android was launched in Paris on May 6th, see details and pictures on page 9.

Updated 02/2010 : Garmin demonstrated the new M10 and A50 nuvifones at the MWC 2010 show in Barcelon last week and I was quite impressed by the A50, very sleek form factor, bright screen, Android Ecosystem, details and pictures on page 8

Updated October 8th : The first US reviews of the nuvifone are dreadful...it seems Garmin are paying a steep price for being 21 months late, after spending quite a bit of time with the nuvifone today at the official European launch I'm beginning to think it's not quite fair. That review is certainly well written, but frankly the "if it had had its debut in 1999" comment is totally uncalled for, had the nuvifone been available in 01/2008 when the the iPhone had no GPS, no 3G and no Appstore, everyone would have been all over it.

My Specific comments :

1. The screen : yes, not capacitive, but for a GPS a matte finish is better and I tried it next to my iPhone and frankly it reacts almost just as well.

2. Yes, it's not a very clever Smartphone, and Garmin don't call it a Smartphone by the way, how big of a problem is that? My iPhone's email client annoys me so much, I read and reply to email using http://mail2web.com/pda/ - the nuvifone will do that too.

3. Web browsing : yes you can't double-tap to zoom, ok so you have to click on +/- and then scroll, I can live with that, especially since it renders www.GpsPasSion.com very well ;-)

4. Price : yes, it's expensive and the extra monthly subscription is a bummer, the optional $25 car charger is a huge mistake (courtesy of AT&T is seems as it's bundled in Europe where it's sold as a standalone device for now).

5. The NYTimes review very justly talks about the stellar integration of GPS navigation. On all existing Smartphones it's an afterthought, especially on the iPhone, where the apps are expensive, have no connected services, and you need to buy a powered mount.

-> I wrote just above that I only consider using my iPhone as GPS guide as a backup, but if I owned a nuvifone I don't think I would have a problem using it as my main GPS.

-> To me the biggest problem is battery life, as on all smartphones. I need a phone I can rely on at all times, not a Smartphone that dies after two hours of (take your pick) 3G/WiFi/GPS. This is unacceptable to me and not very far from a "fraud", so I have an iPhone for "play" and an HTC Touch Dual as an advanced phone. Can't see the nuvifone replacing it with its 1200mAh battery that won't do any better than my iPhone if I walk around London and use it as a guide. The nuvi 255 did the job last year and when the batteries ran out, I could still call my wife and meet up.

@Jim1348 - I checked and the multiple destination routing is indeed available (one of the last icons in "where to") and also offer stop optimization.

Updated September 30th : Garmin nuviphone to finally launch in the US on October 4th, 2009 with AT&T, see the details on page 6.

Updated February 4th, 2009 : Garmin are "relaunching" the nuvifone with an industrial partner, Asus, details below and on page 3.
quote:
Cayman Islands and Taipei, Taiwan/February 4, 2009/Business Wire — Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) and ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (TAIEX: 2357) today announced a strategic alliance that will leverage the companies' navigation and mobile telephony expertise to design, manufacture and distribute co-branded location-centric mobile phones. Garmin and ASUS have already begun joint development on a diverse mobile phone product line, which will be known as the Garmin-Asus nüvifone™ series. The companies expect to bring to market several Garmin-Asus nüvifone models in 2009, and a new Garmin-Asus nüvifone model will be announced at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona, Spain, February 16-19, 2009.

Posted 01/2008 : Source: Garmin US
Official videos :
http://www.youtube.com/v/qy9NCr_n0wE
http://www.youtube.com/v/YtD4USzpoLI

I think this is reaching myself : engagdget
[/center]

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  12:09:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There were rumours of a Garmin phone, as well as a TomTom phone, but this is quite a surprise, it seems to have it all, 3G+, GPS, Wifi/Bluetooth (based on the screenshots), Camera with geotagging, Google Local. I wonder what OS and what type/resolution they are using though.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1712 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  15:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like a bit of a risky strategy to me, but an interesting product.
Go to Top of Page

svec7186

30 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  17:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has anyone noticed that the next turn is now available at the top of the screen. i hope garmin brings this feature to all nuvi's in future udates.
Go to Top of Page

Idearat

7 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  21:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not terribly surprising. I still have stashed away a Garmin NavTalk phone. Back in the analog days it you could call a server and report your position, have a server call it and get your position. If you called someone else with a NavTalk you could exchange positions and see each other on your respective map displays. At the time it supported the same maps as their other current handhelds.

I hope they keep the function for swapping locations with someone.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  22:39:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right, that was quite a device, I seem to remember it was launched at CeBIT 2003, let's see...nope can't see it there http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=46 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2008 :  11:21:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Official videos
http://www.youtube.com/v/qy9NCr_n0wE
http://www.youtube.com/v/YtD4USzpoLI

What a voice ;-)

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  10:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q3 2008? Like SiRFprima?

Could be?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  13:28:50  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In one of the videos it shows a glimpse of the virtual keyboard. Either they are going to be sued by Apple [g], or they licensed the technology, or ... who knows. But it reinforces that the iPhone forever changed the landscape.

From a competitive standpoint, it's hard to imagine the nuviphone stealing current iPhone customers. It's only a little easier to imagine it pre-empting potential iPhone purchases, especially if Apple releases better location software prior to Q3 2008 (fairly likely).

That said, it looks way cool and if I didn't already own an iPhone and two nuvis . . . [g]

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  21:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given that I have a single Nuvi, and no iPhone, I'll probably wait for a NuviPhone...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  22:05:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice form factor too, a few pictures here - where did you see the virtual keyboard Dan ?

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  22:14:45  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out around 1:22 into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD4USzpoLI

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2008 :  15:35:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it, I made a screenshot :

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2008 :  18:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, you mean the on-screen feedback when a key is pressed.

The shoes do not mix well with her dress...

Edited by - smiley1081 on 13 févr. 2008 18:08:24
Go to Top of Page

SwissFreek

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2008 :  23:20:05  Show Profile  Visit SwissFreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder what this means for the chances of seeing Garmin software developed for the iPhone. I suspect the odds are not great, which would be a shame since like someone said above, those with iPhones most likely won't give them up for this device. Sure would be nice to have that software on my iPhone, though, and use a little BT puck.

Also interesting: the fact that you can geocode the images, and then if the phone gets a picture with geocoding in it, you can navigate to that location. Hopefully they didn't use some proprietary method to do this and just use the JPEG's EXIF data, so we could they could theoretically implement this in their other devices, or better yet, other software could play a part as well. Say, a Google Maps plugin that you can use to "send location" like some GPS software can do. Would also be nice to use MMS to send a location WITHOUT a picture, and just have the phone know to use the map application with whatever extension they give the file.

Not sure if I'm being totally coherent today, but I'm very excited to see this device and even more excited to see some or all of its features ported over to other Garmin products once they feel that it would no longer scavenge sales of the nuviPhone...

SwissFreek
CoPilot Live 8 (iPhone) - Garmin GPSMap 60CSx - Garmin Mobile PC v5
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 28 févr. 2008 :  18:00:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Potential delays for the Nuvifone ? Nuvio Sues Garmin Over Nuviphone

"KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Internet telephone provider Nuvio Corp. said Wednesday it has sued navigational device marker Garmin Ltd. over the name of Garmin's new wireless phone.

Nuvio, which is based in Overland Park, Kan., filed suit Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Kansas, saying Garmin's proposed Nuviphone name infringes on its own Nuvio trademark.

"While we would have preferred to settle this without resorting to a lawsuit, we felt it was important to ensure that our customers and potential customers are not confused by someone abusing our legally protected trademark," said Jason P. Talley, the company's chief executive officer. "Our customers commonly refer to our service as the Nuvio phone."

Talley wouldn't disclose the number of customers that Nuvio has but said it generated between $5 million and $10 million in revenue in 2007.

Garmin, which is based in the Cayman Islands with operational headquarters in Olathe, said earlier this month it will introduce the Nuviphone by the end of the year. The phone would include many of the standard features of Garmin's Nuvi line of GPS devices now used in cars and trucks and help the company compete with wireless carriers now including navigation aids in their phones.

Besides preventing Garmin from using the Nuviphone name, Nuvio said it also wants to bar the company from using the Nuvi name on any of its regular GPS devices. It also has demanded damages from past infringement.

Garmin spokesman Ted Gartner said the company doesn't comment on pending litigation. He said Garmin first introduced the Nuvi line in North America in early 2006 and had sold Nuvi products in Europe before then.

Shares of the company, which have sold in a 52-week range of $50.01 to $125.68, lost 59 cents to close at $61.19 in trading Wednesday."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05