Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2250

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Smartphones and PDAs with built-in GPS
 [TOPIC] HTC Touch Cruise - 3G+, Qualcomm AGPS
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpspassion

93969 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2008 :  23:10:48  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TESTING - GPS PDAPhone HTC CRUISE
Qualcomm MSM7200 - AGPS - 3G+ - FM - "Touch" screen

On the road with the HTC Cruise/Polaris/P3650

First impressions : Picked up a Touch Cruise to compare it with the HTC TyTn II (see the full review on the portal) and it makes a good first impression with its light weight, sensitive Wifi connection. Compared to the TyTn II it has lost the keyboard and gained an FM radio and a "touch" (think iPhone) screen like the HTC Touch and HTC Touch Dual models. Lets take it through its paces to see how it fares as a PDA and as a phone, compared to the excellent devices offers in each category, the HTC TyTn II and HTC Touch Dual, respectively.

A problem to start with, a screen that WHINES when it is pressed on its upper part and right side. This is particularly noticeable when it is hot from an active wifi or 3G session and feels as if the glue joining the touch screen and the frame was coming off...this problem only seems to affect some devices as discussed here on xda-dev. After the "cracking" back of the Touch Dual it seems HTC is facing some quality control problems, will have to call to see what they suggest.

The "touch" screen good or bad? : While I am quite pleased with the "touch" screen on the Touch Dual that I use as an advanced phone, it quickly becomes tiresome on a device used as a PDA (email reading, filtering, web browsing). Some hard tapping is required to select a link in PIE or several emails in nPop. Data entry is ok if you use third party keyboards like Cooltek's TouchPal, but general navigation is rather difficult and when I did the GPS comparisons tapping first on the TyTn II, Eten X600 and then on the Cruise made it feel like its screen was not responding. Heavy PDA users beware...

Limited battery life : Same problem as on the TyTn II (see detailed tests) and most every PDAPhone around really, as soon as you make heavy use of 3G, WiFi or GPS, the battery life drops like a stone, about 3 hours for the first two and 3.5 hours for GPS. This is what it looks like:

On the left WiFi - On the right GPS Navigation

GPS Performance :
1. Road testing : after a first series of GPS road tests, it's quite clear that performance is very comparable to that of the TyTn II, down to dB-Hz levels, which are still lower than on the SiRFstarIII competition, the Eten X600 in this case. This is a bit of a disappointment actually as I hoped HTC had used the more favourable form factor to use a small patch antenna rather than the "wire" antenna used on the TyTn II. This would have provided higher dB-Hz levels and more signal to work with in difficult conditions and on foot.

HTC TyTn II/Kaiser - Eten X600 - HTC Cruise/Polaris

Signal Analysis :

2. Pedestrian testing : One of the weak points of Kaiser, see this article on the portal, a comparison in Paris gives rather decent results for the Cruise, both in terms of raw tracks and in terms of signal levels. Not up to par with the accuracy of the SiRFstarIII AMOD 3080 datalogger though :

First conclusions : After a few days with the Cruise it appears quite clearly that it is a "compromise device", being less comfortable to use as a "mobile terminal" than the TyTn II with its sliding keyboard and sensitive screen and less convenient as an advanced phone than the Touch Dual (less compact, lower battery life if wifi/gps, no keyboard). To each their own, but those looking for the best possible experience with a PDA or a Phone will likely have to look elsewhere.

PICTURE GALLERIES- COMPARISONS

HTC Touch Dual - HTC Cruise/Polaris - HTC TyTn II/Kaiser

HTC Cruise - Eten X600

Questions, comments?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

wonder

3 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2008 :  12:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pretend that TOMTOM, which is shipped with TC, works properly. Look here what a **** of a video driver the Qualcomm 7200 has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJWAu6IRe4
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93969 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2008 :  13:23:46  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The side by side comparison is quite interesting, although it's WM2003SE vs WM6 and there could be some memory card issues too (SD vs microSD), besides I wonder what "versions" of TT6 they are running...anyway, while smoother is nicer, I honestly didn't have a problem getting to my destination with the Touch Cruise the other day. Still let's hope they come up with a fix to offer some hardware acceleration, here is the best explanation I've seen on the issue (link to xda-dev).

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93969 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2008 :  17:32:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2. Pedestiran testing : One of the weak points of Kaiser, see this article on the portal, a comparison in Paris gives rather decent results for the Cruise, both in terms of raw tracks and in terms of signal levels. Not up to par with the accuracy of the SiRFstarIII AMOD 3080 datalogger though :

Go to Top of Page

gpsguy1

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2010 :  02:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just want to add to this.
The UE doesnt need to decode the Ephemeris and Almanac information from the GPS navigation message data bits. It doesn't wait 12.5 mins to receive complete Almanac and does not need to wait 30 secs to receive each satellite's Ephemeris.
Hence eliminating time spend decoding data bits reduces battery consumption.

Edited by - gpsguy1 on 29 déc. 2010 10:42:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05