Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2446

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 "All in One" Navigation Systems
 [TOPIC] Navigon 8100 with MN|7 - User Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2008 :  21:49:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 20081115 - The Navigon series 8 was released in Europe under the 8110T name in the spring and is finally making it to the US as the 8100T in late 2008.

It stands out from the other GPS systems with :
1. "Panorama View" that shows the actual terrain, impressive in hilly areas and in the mountains !
2. Large 4.8" screen
3. Active car holder with "pole" mount
4. FreshMaps (quarterly map updated) subscription included

With a succesful year under its belt in the US with the launch of the 5100, 7100 but mostly the 2100, the "black friday" star, Navigon is working on Series 8 with the 8110 powered by MN|7.

The upcoming 8110 is a stylish affair with its brushed metal finish and large 4.8" screen, but also a powerful one with 128Mb of RAM and a graphics coprocessor on board. MN|7 has been optimized to offer a faster response time and the "extended lanes" feature has been given more space for improved visibility. No firm relase date yet, but the upcoming 3GSM and Cebit shows sould provide more information.

Questions, comments?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2008 :  02:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it looks like they've add media playback.

Please find out if upgrades will be available to MN7 for current 21/51/71xx owners. Cost (if applicable)?

Thanks,
Justin
Go to Top of Page

snakyjake

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2008 :  06:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like how the device shows which land to be in. Like seeing the posted speed limit too.

I'd like to know how this device compares to the Garmin Nuvi line (for the U.S.). The Navigon UI looks better to me than Garmin. But not sure about route calculations and POI.
Go to Top of Page

egadgetguy

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2008 :  17:05:16  Show Profile  Visit egadgetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unless they have fixed the routing bug from the 21/51/71xx line, then that's a drawback.

As for the other things, Reality view is reported to BITE! but other then that, the Navigon really competes, it's very cool without RV if you can get past the horrible routing! I wish I had kept my 2100 and waited for the fix [which hasn't arrived AFIK]

GPS history: Garmin eMap + eMap [both broke] >> Magellan MAP410 > Garmin GPS'V' +
JensenNVX200 > Garmin Nuvi200 > Navigon 2100 > MIO C230 > Navigon7100!
Current GPSs: Garmin GPS'V' and Navigon7100!
Jensen & Mio use TA maps which suck in AL. Navigon is only good AIO with NavTeq
Go to Top of Page

TQuila

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2008 :  22:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, since CeBIT is not until March 4-9 in Hanover, Germany we'll have some time to speculate. Tech website SlashGear is saying that the 8110 will sadly be a Europe only model. But if you look closely at their naming conventions, Navigon's US models end in "00" rather than "10" (as in europe). I suspect that they are therefore correct and that any "8" series US model would be named the 8100.

Such trifles aside, I am interested in learning more about the enhancements to be introduced in MN|7. Better and quicker routing? More configuration options? Perhaps a set-up wizard that personalizes the unit based on your answers to a series of questions.

For the hardware, a processor running at 533 MHz, a graphic accelerator, and 128 MB of memory will do their part to speed things up. The european version's MSRP is 499 euros. I wonder what a US version's street price will be?
Go to Top of Page

Kondyke

65 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2008 :  12:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Kondyke's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

For the hardware, a processor running at 533 MHz, a graphic accelerator, and 128 MB of memory will do their part to speed things up. The european version's MSRP is 499 euros. I wonder what a US version's street price will be?

At a straight conversation of 499.EUR to 727.USD Im glad I paid $99.bucks for a 2100 and waiting for the upgrade at the end of the 1st quarter. If I want to watch movies & listen to music I will buy the specific device to do so. I Myself would never ever pay that much for a GPS, WHY, in world would you. And I own 4 of them, by different companys.

Koni
Go to Top of Page

TQuila

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2008 :  23:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
First, European prices include a 20% VAT.
Second, there is always a difference between MSRP ($299.00) and street price ($99.00) if you look hard enough and are patient... I see you did both.
Finally, everyone needs to do their own cost benefit analysis based on the best price found. I may yet buy a 2100.

As I said, I wonder what a US version's street price will be?
Go to Top of Page

aer

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2008 :  01:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[QUOTE SNIPPED]

Exactly. I got a three 2100Ts for $99, a 5100 for $149 (radio shack) and ultimately my 7100 cost $300 with a 4gb card.

I lived in Europe half my life and retail there is different (although changing). Most of Europe doesn't see the same kind of price cutting we see. Navigon's VP said said in press reports in October that they were going to come in at $99 with a unit for last black fiday, I just think we were all suprised to see the traffic included when they did.

I would say discounted street on the 8100 will be $400 one month after release, rise a bit and then fall again. It will depend on Garmins 7xx structure once that line roles out fully.
Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2008 :  22:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In action:

http://www.ppc-welt.info/communitydownloads/NAVIGON_8110.wmv

I can't read German, but others might be able to. Menu navigation looks significantly faster.

Justin
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2008 :  23:45:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, do you have the link to the page on the ppc-welt site where this has been posted, or is it a hidden link ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2008 :  17:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Translated from Google: http://tinyurl.com/2ow4uv

Justin
Go to Top of Page

aer

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2008 :  13:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some things that are not analogous between US and Euro models
a) there are a couple of versions of TMC in Europe. In the US we don't
have TMC "pro" so the 8100 won't have that as an added feature over
US 51/7100's
b) we already have TTS on 5100 and 7100 (the Europe versions don't)
so that is not an upgrade on our end.

Better lane assist graphics look good, especially since a lot of people prefer that to reality view anyway.
Speculation is that lane assist pro and RV pro also increase the number of junctions covered. That is reasonable since th third party company that provided the data has probably not been asleep for a year. On LA pro, I know they "now keep to the right now keep to the left" was a problem they are probably addressing with an extended lane assist graphic.

I was also stunned and the answer I got on downloading contacts via
bluetooth on my 7100 when Navigon said no one needs that. They had not
even considered that this was not just about ease of telephone dialing
contacts people navigate to contacts but for ease of navigating *to* contacts. That is a really useful addition.

I do wonder if they will put pio warner or pio warner "lite" on the US version since they are not adding TTS (all their US version already have it) and perhaps not or TMC Pro.

Edited by - aer on 19 févr. 2008 15:54:29
Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 28 févr. 2008 :  21:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ gpspassion,
Are you heading to CeBIT? If so, could you ask the Navigon representatives the questions posed here? Also, what's the 9312? And 4513?

Thanks,
Justin
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 29 févr. 2008 :  01:59:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No CeBIT this year for me unfortunately, what are 9312 and 4513?

Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 29 févr. 2008 :  06:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No idea. If you go to this link (Navigon's Website):

http://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en/cebit08

and click on "Sweepstake", there is a reference to these units (All of which evidently have a 4.8" screen).

Justin
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 29 févr. 2008 :  18:32:15  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/cebit08#sweepstake
Actually I think the other two units don't exist ;-)

Go to Top of Page

upacreek

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2008 :  17:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any updates on the release of the 8100 in the US? Are we looking at soon, or months away yet?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2008 :  00:23:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's any ETA for a US release ? They've been trickling out in Europe so far. Here are a few pictures to keep you waiting :

1. Shows the new "Panorama" (Terrain View) mode in action :

2. Zooming in on the 8110

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2008 :  22:12:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new Reality View "Tunnel Mode" !

Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2008 :  05:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion,
thanks for the screen shots. How do you like the 8110. The speaker on my 7100 just crapped out and I'll have to call Navigon tomorrow to see what it'll cost to get fixed. If it's too expensive, I'll probably buy another unit, but I'm trying to figure out if I want to wait for the 8100 to be released in the US (if it ever is) or go the 2100 max route.

Justin
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2008 :  02:35:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's certainly got "something", the 3D maps are hard to give up once you're used to them. In Europe it has the problem of not being compatible with POI-Warner, which means no adding of custom POIs, speedcams in particular, a huge handicap compared to TomTom or Garmin units where that feature is built-in. The VR (voice recognition) is very inferior to one on the nüvi 8x0.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2008 :  20:00:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very impressive map rendering in moutainous areas :

Go to Top of Page

wallstreet123456

388 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2008 :  20:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still no date for this units availability in the US?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2008 :  00:49:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not that I've heard, maybe they need some time to integrate the elevation data.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2008 :  12:07:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As spotted by caryrae in another topic, the 8100T is apparently going to make it to the US http://www.jr.com/navigon/pe/NVG_8100T/ !

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2008 :  03:11:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At long last, wonder what software they'll put on it though since the new x2xx models are one generation ahead really a bit as if Garmin had released the 860 after the 765. Not too much of a problem in the US since there are no additional features, but in Europe the 72xx has the "curve warner" not available on the higher-end 8100 model.

Go to Top of Page

burntside

5 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2008 :  17:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After following the thread regarding the 7200T, it seems the biggest perceived problem is the POI being limited and a poor search option. Does anyone know if the 8100T will be better? Is the European 8110T better?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2008 :  18:35:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums.
No the POI search works in the same "clumsy" way and you can't add your own POIs either.

Go to Top of Page

burntside

5 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2008 :  19:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So let me ask you this...All things considered, in the U.S. is this the best GPS for $500 (TigerGPS.com)? I realize that there probably isn't a perfect GPS out there, but for $500 is this the way to go? I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 350 which is 1+ years old. Worth the upgrade?
Go to Top of Page

aljacket

117 Posts

Posted - 15 nov. 2008 :  13:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 8100T is now being listed on Amazon.com for pre-order @ $599.99:

http://tinyurl.com/6rsysp

Also, here is a cool youtube video from Navigon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR86qp_1Nhg

I really can't tell what market the video is for, because they are driving on the RHS of the road, but refer to the screen size as 4,8" (instead of 4.8")

Edited by - aljacket on 15 nov. 2008 13:34:44
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  01:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Navigon site, says first shipment will be out on November 25. Returning a 7200T for the 8100T. Want the 3D map rendering and larger screen.

Dell currently has 20% off selected GPS + 5% coupon: 7HX?24JKGXF1TJ making it $456 + tax.

Just ordered mine and estimate ship date is December 3.

Does Navigon have a hard case for this device out?

Edited by - myzhi on 16 nov. 2008 01:29:03
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  01:48:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure about a hard case, but in Europe they sell a "better" case than the one it ships with, it's in leather I believe.

Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  02:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dam, now this DELL price seems like a good deal.. are you sure Dell will honor this price when the unit ships being its brand new?

I thought it has to sell for MSRP when first released.. or is that just Garmin?

I really wanna pull the trigger on this one, but its still hard for me to drop $500 on a new GPS without seeing any reviews first.

I's also like to see what the mount looks like on this.. is it too heavy for a windshield mount?

Edited by - booey on 16 nov. 2008 02:17:04
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  02:19:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Other than the "panorama mode", i.e. terrain rendering, which is nice to have, you can pretty much go buy the user reviews of the 7200, same pros and cons.

Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  02:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
found a FULL review here..

http://tinyurl.com/56t2q7
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  02:53:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice review, but different continent -> different issues, I would go by the user feedback in the 7200 topic for the basic navigation features ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpwest

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  10:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think the 8100 is going to have the same issues with Bluetooth and certain phones? Sounds like it if most features are to be compared with the 7200.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  11:09:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually that may be different since Bluetooth performance would also be impacted by the hardware and the hardware is very different on the 8110. Instead of "all in on" SiRFTitan (ex-Centrality) platform, with SiRFInstantFixII AGPS, it's standard CPU+SiRFstarIII with a graphics chip thrown in to handle the terrain rendering.

I must say I don't pay much attention to Bluetooh handsfree as I have no use for it, I well prefer a wired headset (or a BT headset if it's a long call) if I need to make a call while driving, rather than yelling in my car !

Go to Top of Page

RocketNJ

89 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2008 :  14:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Navigon software engineers are aware of the issues with the LG phones and are supposed to be working on a fix. I did tell them about the no receive audio on inbound calls too. Not sure where they stand on that issue.

I would hope they can fix the issues before the 8100 hits the market here in the U.S.
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2008 :  01:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion,

I bought a Navigon 4.3" hard case for 7200T. Going to return the 7200T for a 8100T. Can the case fit a 8100T or should I return it too, still factory sealed? Navigon doesn't seem to have a case on their North American website for 8100T yet. Is there a one for Europe?

Edited by - myzhi on 17 nov. 2008 01:16:56
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2008 :  03:00:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen the case you bought, but chances are it won't fit, especially if it's tight, you can check the side by side pics of the 7200/8100 I posted in the 7200 topic.

Not sure about a hard case in Europe but I remember some users bought a leather case.

Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2008 :  03:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Case: 5.7" x 4.3" x 1.3"

8100: 5.3" x 3.3" x 0.9"

7100: 5.0" x 4.0" x 1.0"

7200: 4.5" x 2.9" x 0.7"

Might fit. Width would be the only possible problem.

Edited by - myzhi on 17 nov. 2008 04:04:11
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2008 :  15:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8100T is now in stock at Amazon.com. To bad, it's for $599. Sticking with my Dell order.
Go to Top of Page

cal0613

164 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2008 :  02:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just downloaded the pdf user guide for the 8100T(180 pages) from Navigon website and there is NO picture viewer or MP3 player on this unit. I know that is unimportant to many but it may kill my interest as I often use my mio as a mp3 player to listen to as I navigate and I plug this in to my car unit by way of aux jack so... Why is this available on 8110 (Europe ) but not on US MODEL?? I guess we don't listen to music here in US.....oh well !

Edited by - cal0613 on 19 nov. 2008 02:03:57
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2008 :  03:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, MAKES THE FORUMS EASIER TO READ, THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
Wow. You are right. Didn't notice the lack of "Music" button on the pictures posted on Navigonusa.com for NA compare EU version. Not big deal since I use a Ipod anyway.
Go to Top of Page

burntside

5 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2008 :  17:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm in Kansas City and I want directions to the airport, will I be able to find it using POI?...even if the airport is not technically in KC but instead in some far off suburb?
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2008 :  23:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, just make sure the pilot is not drunk.

If you know the town where the airport is, you should not have any problems.
Go to Top of Page

burntside

5 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2008 :  00:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the problem. No one ever knows the name of the actual town that a major airport is in. For instance, what town is O'Hare airport in (outside of Chicago)? Can one still figure out how to find the directions with the Navigon?
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2008 :  01:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if you input Chicago, it will find it. I don't have my GPS with me since I returned it, however, I will be able to tell you on Monday. Also, it depends how far the POI is. You can search "Nearby" POIs within 6 miles. However, with a simple modification of the setting file, you can expand your search by 32 miles. So if you airport falls within 32 miles from where you are, you will find it even if you don't know the name of the city, town, or village.

Also, I think Kansas City International is still in Kansas, even thought it is in a suburb of Kansas City.

Edited by - XxhaimBondxX on 22 nov. 2008 02:05:26
Go to Top of Page

burntside

5 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2008 :  17:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, being able to expand the "nearby" to 32 miles gives me more confidence. BTW, I was using KC just as an example.

I'm curious why you decided to return your unit.
Go to Top of Page

wolf1306

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2008 :  17:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any reviews for the 8100t yet . all i see is routes but no actual review from people who bought it. is itworth it ,better then my 7200t

navigon 2100 - navigon 7200t - magellan 4040
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2008 :  17:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I returned it because they have dropped the price on it by $100 in two weeks. So I have ordered new one from Costco. BTW, I will have 2 year freshmaps available for sale since I already have 3 years.
Go to Top of Page

foxbat121

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2008 :  19:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about 8100T or 7200T? I'm confused. Costco doesn't even have 8100T listed.
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2008 :  23:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we were talking about 7200t
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  00:29:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wrong topic then ;-)

Just directed a new user of the 8100T http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119925 to this one.

Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  01:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8100T is probably an awesome unit. I would probably got for it myself if not for the money and it's gigantic size.
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  02:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone know if this unit will work with any beanbag dash mount?

i am thinking not because the integrated power cord.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  02:35:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well not only that, but the "arm" (at least on the Euro version) is not very bean bag friendly. On the other hand the 8100 looks like it's "floating" if you place it properly on your windshield. I probably put some pics in GpsPasSion Live www.naviblog.com , let's see...yes there you go :

Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  14:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a newbie to portable GPS. I have built-in in my car and I really like it. My wife car doesn't have one. So, I decided to get a GPS for her car. I was looking for features that at least equal to what I have in my car GPS. Navigon 8100T seems to fit.

Initial impression:
IMPRESSIVE!!! The build quality is excellent. It has a good screen size. I just got this unit late Friday. So, I took it around today. Again, I am impressed. The display is very easy to see in any light condition. The pano 3D view, one word "Awsome". Reality View, is excellent. Touch screen, it's good but not excellent. After playing around with it, I learned how the touch screen works on this device and I am pretty happy with it. I was looking at TomTom 930T and Gamin 765T. After comparing them all, I decided to go with Navigon 8100T. And I am glad I did. My wife said it is better then my Infiniti M GPS.

Here is some photos:

The Retail Box:

Unboxing:

What's included:

SW info:

Go to Top of Page

foxbat121

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  16:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double07,

How is the routing performance compare to others? Do you like the new 3D display (other than the wow factor)? PC Mag review mentioned that the new 3D view may not be that greate if you use in relative flat area like NYC. It replaced the old 3D view that can be useful in big cities with 3D landmarks.

Did you try the bluetooth phone function? Does not work well with phone book on your cell phone?
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  17:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so the 7200 has a feature that the 8100 does not?
the 8100 does not have 3D building landmarks?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  17:27:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct, also it doesn't have the "Curve Warner" (only on Euro 7200) and doesn't have "Auto-AGPS" (SiRFinstantFix v2).

Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  17:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
foxbat121,

The only GPS I own is what is my car. So, I can't say much as far as comparing with the other. So far, it seems to calculate the route that I knew and I I would take. On the way home, my wife as me to take her to the store that's in different direction. Without changing the destination, I just went out of the way. The 8100T seems to react to it immediately and recalculate. The route calculation and recalculation is really quick. Again, I am not a real tester/reviewer. I am just going with my observation. The speed limit is pretty accurate. As far as terrain 3D view vs. 3D landmark is concern? I think, this is matter of personal pref. How much 3D landmark will you get depends on where you are. If you are in NYC, I probably prefer 3D landmark over terrain. In fact, I will be going to NYC in few weeks. I will know more about it.

BT took a few min to pair with my iPhone. Once, it paired. It seems to work just fine. It downloaded all my address book to it. It didn't group the person numbers. Other word, if John doe has office, work, cell, etc.. it would list John Doe that many times. I like one John Doe listed then pick which number to call. I made a test call few times. My wife was at the other end, she said it like I am in a close space ( I was in the car.. Duh!!!) From my end, It sounded clear from 8100T.

I only have a day with it. Traffic report is great. But, It gave me too much info. Meaning, It reported all major highway around me. I probably prefer what is on my route instead. But, that might be some setting some where. I have to look.

I hope this help.
Go to Top of Page

foxbat121

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  17:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank. When your car make a turn, how fast does the map rotate with you. For most portable GPS, there is usually a significant delay because they can't redraw the map fast enough.

Also, how long does it take to regain sat lock when you power on the unit again(since it lacks certain feature 7200T as mentioned above)?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  17:50:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rotation delay is a bit worse on the Navigon units than on the Garmin units and especially TomTom's. Geneally speaking the interface is a bit less reponsive too, ok on the road, a bit more problematic in the city, especially since they don't zoom at all when you reach a turn, I find that to be a big problem, others less it seems.

GPS acquisition is fine, "Auto-AGPS" only helps in the morning or after 4 hours without using your GPS, see the link I gave above for more details.

Go to Top of Page

foxbat121

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  19:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as interface goes (not the response speed), I really like the one on Mio C310 I have. No other GPS interface can beat it yet, including Garmin.

And yes, quick fix in the Morning or after 4 hours w/using GPS is very important. That's what I will use my portable GPS most of the time.

Edited by - foxbat121 on 23 nov. 2008 19:21:15
Go to Top of Page

foxbat121

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  19:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

The rotation delay is a bit worse on the Navigon units than on the Garmin units and especially TomTom's.

I'm hoping with the new 3D accelerated hardware in 8100T, it will speed up the rotation speed as well.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  19:51:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not really, they added it to make the panorama mode usable, it doesn't add more FPS to the map display, I did some side by side testing of the 7200/8100 recently and the 3D mode rendering was similar. It's not really a big problem since they've killed any zooming on a turn in 3D mode, which is a much bigger problem in the city for accurate guidance as already explained.

PS - don't multiple post please, makes the forums hard to read, if your message is the last one on the page and you want to add something, just edit it.

Go to Top of Page

bad1550

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  21:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double 07,

Regarding the Bluetooth, Is your Cell phone the iPhone 3g?

I had to return the 7200T because I was only able to dial. When I received calls it would not work

Thx,

Bob

Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  22:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's iPhone 3G. It works fine. In my opinion any BT speaker phone is just okay. It's about the same as my built-in speaker phone. I prefer ear piece. It's much better.

As far as the screen refreshing, I didn't notice any thing bad. This thing does not have quad cores CPU and nVidia 9800 GPU. I think it is doing just fine. When I made a turn, I kept my eyes on the road not on GPS. By the time I look at it, it is at where it should be already. So, I am not complaining. The touch screen responsive? I just came from BB. I played around with Garmin 765 and TomTom 930. In some area they were not that responsive any better than 8100T. It might sound like I am defending the 8100T. All I am just saying is: "It is doing just fine so far" May be as I use it more and more, it might be a problem? But as of now, I am pretty happy with it.
Go to Top of Page

bad1550

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  23:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double 07,

Glad the iPhone 3G works, but were you able to receive calls?

I was able to make calls with no problems with the 7200T

Thanks!

Bob

Go to Top of Page

sixthday

36 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2008 :  23:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gpspassion,

Have you tried to unlock the 8100 like OLD navigons?
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  00:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can the GPS be mounted on dashboard / friction pad? Car mount seems not very adjustable.

Edited by - myzhi on 24 nov. 2008 00:17:23
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  01:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will looks something like this, only with a wire on top:

Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  01:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bad1550,

Yes, I was able to receive and make call through the 8100T without any problem.

I just noticed one thing that I wish 8100T has. While in pano 3D mode without any routing, just the plain map. The streets don't have street name on it. It's bunch of lines. But, it does have POI. When switchs to normal 3D view. There are street names. I like to have name display. I also noticed the same thing on 7200T as well as all Navigon models, there is no street name in 3D landmark viewing mode. I looked at other brand like Garmin and TomTom, they don't have street name when in 3D landmark viewing neither. Can some one who own those units confirm that? I know it is small detail, but I like to have it. I wish Navigon make that as option. I guess for now, I will have to turn off pano 3D in order to get street name in 3D viewing mode. Do you guy know? if there is a link we can make a request.

Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  02:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a suggestion box on navigon website.
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  02:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hoping that one of you who owns the 8100T or knows more about it than me, you wouldn't have to know much, can answer several questions for me? First and most important to me is the POI issue. Is the 8100 the same as the 7200? If I am in Salt Lake City and I want to find a Costco for gas, can I search for Costco by name? As I am sure you know, that cannot be done on the 7200. BIG oversite on Navigon's part!!!
I really would hate to have to buy a Garmin to have this feature. Seems like a rather basic thing.
How do they figure I know the address if I am in a strange place? Or am I just a moron and am missing something?

My other question is a simple one. How is that windshield mount? It looks huge, but may not be so bad. How are the adjustments?

Thanks for your help,
Lon
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  03:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lon, if you are looking for GAS specifically, you can search nearby for gas stations, which should return all nearest gas stations, including Costco.
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  04:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. When I search for GAS I get lots of hits, but not Costco. Nor do I see Sam's club. I assume they are not in the database. I just used Costco as an example. I am sure I could also look for many other specific businesses and regretfully theyu would also not be there. Same reason. Or am I really just missing something?
Do you live in an area that has a Costco? Can you pull it up on your 8100T?

Edited by - lrtrees on 24 nov. 2008 04:20:45
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  09:16:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@double07 - what do you call "3D landmark viewing mode" ? Regular 3D or Panorama ? Regular 3D I'm guessing since neither Garmin or TomTom have Panorama. Anyway, yes you see street names in 3D on Garmin and TomTom depending on the zoom level of course

@sixthday - yes it can be unlocked -> http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113131

Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  16:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this morning I used a Garmin 765T on my day to work. What a difference from the 7200T. When using the 7200T and driving to work the "Reality View Pro" window pops up with some regularity. I suppose some might say alittle to often. It is pretty cool though. But taking the same route this morning using the 765T I did not see Garmins comparable "Junction View" one time. I do not see where I have to turn anything on to make it work.
As I have had said before, I do prefer the 7200T display.
Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  16:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion,

The 8100T has the ability to turn off the pano 3D viewing mode. You would then fall back to regular 3D viewing mode(Bird eyes view). In regular 3D viewing mode, you have the option to turn off|on street name. What I meant by "3D landmark viewing mode" is the mode where it will show you the 3D building while you navigate through your route. I don't know if the other brand will allow you to turn this off|on? or will it always be on and display when 3D info is available?

As for searching for POI by name? I don't think Navigon implement this. I wish they do also. Every now and then, I would probably use that. Till then, I am out of luck.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  22:34:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Er...thanks, as you will have seen if you read the first message, the 8110 has been out in Europe for 6+ months and I actually beta tested it, so I know how it works ;-) What confused me was your reference to "3D landmarks" for Garmin and TomTom, as the latter doesn't have it and the former only on the 765, besides it's not on the 8100, right, only on the 7200 ?

@lrtrees - yes others have commented in the 7200 topic after switching from the 765 that there were far fewer RV signs on the 765, which is odd considering the source data must come from Navteq that they both use.

Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  23:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion, very true. I drove home this afternoon with both the 7200T and 765T mounted in my truck. Nothing on the Garmin and several on the Navigon. As far a lack of POI's on the 7200, someone on the Costco website indicated that he had been told that Jan of 2009 would bring a bunch of new POI's in a new download from Navigon. So I called Navigon and the person I talked to said he had heard nothing about that. I asked him how many POI's the 7200T shipped with. He indicated about 1.7 mil, but said that the 8100T is shipping with about 7.4 mil. That seems like a HUGE difference!!
When you reviewed the 8110, what were your feelings on the windshield mount?

Thanks

Edited by - lrtrees on 24 nov. 2008 23:47:59
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  15:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, if this is true and the 8100 indeed has like 6 million more POI's in its database than the 7200, this might be the deciding factor for me.

can we confirm this is true?
Go to Top of Page

wallstreet123456

388 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  18:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if it does have that I hope it can be used easily and not like the 7200. What good is having all those POI's if you can't use it easily.
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, MAKES THE FORUMS EASIER TO READ, THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
Go to Top of Page

Alwayslearnin

1 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  22:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm confused about searching for POIs by name. I have used this feature on the 7200T, it is just that there are not that many. If I can guess that category, I use it or I simply choose "all categories". Each of them have a "list" icon next to the check box and back arrow, and then I just start typing in the name of the business I am looking for. Costco is not on the list. I was able to find Chevron, Radio Shack, McDonald's and my local airport this way.

This is my first post, so again, I may not understand the issue.
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  22:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just got my 8100T and playing around with it inside my house.

Good:

Gets much better satellite reception vs 7200T. Getting 8 vs 0 satellites. Strange.
Seems more POI. Couldn't find Home Depot on 7200T, but they are there on the 8100T. Nearby function seems to search up to 7(?) miles.

Bad:

Screen doesn't look as sharp and colors / blacks look better on 7200T.
Touch screen isn't as responsive as the 7200T.
Brush steel looks great, but OMG fingerprint marks everywhere.

And, it does barely fit the Navigon 4.3" hard case.

Edited by - myzhi on 25 nov. 2008 23:09:52
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  22:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you do a POI search for Costco and see if you get any results?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  22:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's there. Search "in a City" > "Shopping" > "Discount Store" > "Costco." Get the 2 listed in my city.

Edited by - myzhi on 25 nov. 2008 22:58:19
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  23:07:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lrtrees
When you reviewed the 8110, what were your feelings on the windshield mount?
I quite liked it as the GPS is very stable and it's powered+TMC, but in the long run the miniUSB plug got bent and finally broke, never happened to me with another GPS. I'd recommend blocking the cable in the dash somehow to prevent that.

Go to Top of Page

JStu313

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  23:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myzhi

It's there. Search "in a City" > "Shopping" > "Discount Store" > "Costco." Get the 2 listed in my city.
That's encouraging. One of the main reasons I haven't purchased a Navigon to date is due to their lack of POI's. I wonder if there will be any "Black Friday" sales on the 8100...
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2008 :  02:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i may have finally found my perfect GPS now..here is more recent review
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2335257,00.asp : "What's more, Navigon beefed up the POI data of the 7200T by including a larger, more robust 5-million-entry database on the 8100T"

@myzhi - could you take some pics of the actual 3D route screen with all details on? I'd like to see the street names and see if the screen looks cluttered like the 7200.
thanks!!

Edited by - booey on 26 nov. 2008 16:31:02
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2008 :  21:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Panorama View 3D: Street names don't appear on the map.

Regular View 3D: Same as 7200T except no 3D buildings.

The UI seems to be exactly the same on the 8100T & 7200T.

Edited by - myzhi on 26 nov. 2008 21:24:27
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2008 :  21:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for these pics myzhi.

I am wondering why the promo shots looks so much more colorful.
I see different shades of gray, blues, greens for I am assuming grasslands, and water.

does the 7200 have 3D buildings? or just 3D landmarks?

I am tying to decide between the 7200 and the 8100, and its a really tough decision..
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2008 :  22:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe, only has 3D landmarks. I didn't see any in San Antonio, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2008 :  22:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it depends on the terrain. If you are at relatively flat area, you won't see much at all. In my opinion 3D building or landmark will be more usefull in flat area. The manual also indicated that pano 3D may not available in all areas.
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2008 :  02:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this appears to be flat terrain also, but look at all the colors.
its a lot different than the above shots. they look like 2 different map sources.

Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2008 :  03:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are few simulate shots around my area:

Near Boston:

Around The mountain ~2000 - 4000ft but there isn't any POI around (I don't expect any)

Mt. Washington, NH

It seems to have enough info as good as promo shot or even better too me. I am sorry if this is too many photos. I llike Visual.

Edited by - double07 on 27 nov. 2008 03:57:37
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2008 :  05:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mockup promo shots are much better. Notice the screen isn't as good as on the 7200T. 7200T is sharper / clearer and color / blacks are better. Maybe, they both have the same resolution(?), but 8100T screen is stretch out more making it look worse.

Edited by - myzhi on 27 nov. 2008 05:55:58
Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2008 :  14:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, with the same resolution on both units the smaller screen will look much sharper. Until the high-def 1080p 120Hz with RGB LED back-lit screen version comes out. I am good. What I really like to see every manufactures use is: at least the same screen as iPhone's screen. iPhone has the best screen for any lighting condition period. It doesn't have to be multi-touch. Just good screen.
Oh well I can dream, can I?

Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2008 :  21:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 8100T battery has been drained twice now. Either the battery is bad or it was accidentally turned while in the hard case. It's way too easy to turn on the thing. All it takes is the slightest touch on the power button and it turns on. Wasn't this the same problem with the previous versions? Didn't have this issue with the 7200T.

Edited by - myzhi on 28 nov. 2008 22:40:47
Go to Top of Page

sixthday

36 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2008 :  18:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note that you are comparing the bird-eye view with the para3D view.

My guess is that in para3D mode, the resolution has been reduced to speed up the 3D drawing. That's why you think the promo shots are much better.

quote:
Originally posted by myzhi

Mockup promo shots are much better. Notice the screen isn't as good as on the 7200T. 7200T is sharper / clearer and color / blacks are better. Maybe, they both have the same resolution(?), but 8100T screen is stretch out more making it look worse.

Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2008 :  18:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I think promo shots are always graphically enhanced and are not the actual photographs. That's the reason they are so colorful.
Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2008 :  21:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remembered reading somewhere that 8100T is using GL library for graphic in pano mode. I believe, GL lib has smooth edge. At least for most of the stuff I saw in GL 3D graphic.
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2008 :  00:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sixthday

Note that you are comparing the bird-eye view with the para3D view.

My guess is that in para3D mode, the resolution has been reduced to speed up the 3D drawing. That's why you think the promo shots are much better.

This is not supposely a para3D mode picture? Also, how do you get into bird-eye view to see better image?

Edited by - myzhi on 30 nov. 2008 06:15:21
Go to Top of Page

vince227

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2008 :  18:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first post, I’m usually just a reader here but I’ve come to learn a lot and hope to learn more. I just received my 8100T purchased from Dell for $457. Did not get to test drive as of yet being that it arrived last night and I was in for the rest of the evening. I did get to play with it a bit and I must say what an impressive device. The learning curve is just a bit different since I’m pulling away from my last device which was a Nuvi-760.

Here is my initial review, I did a USB charged for 1 hour (need more but was anxious). It has quite a bit of weight to it. It feels Solid. Forensic will have no problem finding who you are (catches fingerprints like a magnet). Voice entry was not 100 percent accurate but maybe I need to give it training for first use. The volume level was loud and clear. The slightest touch of the power button on top turns the unit on. I really miss the QWERTY keyboard (typing in the real world). It seems very customizable.

Also the complaints about searching for POI’s, I totally agree If running 70mph in North Carolina and I need a restaurant or whatever there is no way I know what city to search in if I don’t know where I’m at, that’s the GPS job to find the nearest poi. I would like the ability to search along your route and at your destination what’s available, along with save as POI. What is strange is there is 3 options for search poi (in a city, Statewide, and nearby) but nearby is not highlighted (maybe coming in the future update?) I have not finished all tests but this is one point that really matters.

My Nuvi had a feature where am I? But I discovered that the N8100T has a similar feature that requires more steps (main menu, options, Direct help). Battery life sucks I got no more then 1 hour of use if that.

Will do testing tonight on the Bluetooth feature, I have the LG Dare from Verizon which I belief Rocketnj has stated he tried with the 7200T version with several issues. I have to travel from the Bronx, NY to White Plains, NY tonight so this will be my first test drive. Friday I have to travel from the Bronx, to Peekskill, NY which should be a 45min. drive and I remember my route with the nuvi-760.

My last concern is how low will the price drop on the 8100T. The 7200 release was MSRP 449 but 60 days later can now be purchase for 249. So If the 8100 drops to $349 I will be in pain. But I have still have 30 days with dell to decide.
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2008 :  23:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nearby only works once you acquire GPS signal. Since you have tested the unit indoors, I think that's the primary reason why yours was not available. The price will definitely drop, especially by Christmas. Just watch Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  00:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but for nearby you still need to know what city you are in right?
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  01:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, it's whatever is close to you, thus GPS signal is essential.
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  02:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh.. i had read that you must know what city you are in, and when you click "Nearby" for a search, it then takes you to the City input screen.

and this was a big deal breaker for me with this GPS.

So, can I be driving on the highway, not having a clue what city I am in and search for a nearby walmart or home depot?

Quote from PCMag review:
When you enter the Search POI Menu from the New Destination option on the main menu, you have the option of searching nearby, in a city, or statewide. If you select Nearby, your only option is to select one of the 32 categories (including Zagat Guides) or All Categories. If you want to search for a POI by name, you search in a city, specify the city, and then select all categories. Then, you can bring up a keyboard and type in the POI name.

according to this review, I cannot search for a POI by name Nearby.

Edited by - booey on 03 déc. 2008 02:50:29
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  04:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the actual GPS in your hand? If so, why don't you try it?
Go to Top of Page

vince227

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  05:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XxhaimBondxX you were right, nearby POI is active Once you have a signal. I also like the one touch quick poi such as gas. I never got to use the 7200 but I can tell this is a big improvement.

First, I just go back from Sam club in Secaucus, NJ from Bronx, NY and I must say it was on point. As far as lane assist, route and traffic. From Secaucus I drove to BJ’s in Paramus, NJ it was on point again. Then Paramus to home (Bronx, NY) and it was great. Sound was loud and clear, text on screen was clear, easy to read and vibrant. I tried the nearby POI I saw no problem but I forgot to do a manual poi entry for Costco or other businesses. But all in all it seems fine to me. Once again customization is plentiful.

One thing about the window mount, you can’t rotate the device period. If you need minor adjustment maybe even a little tilt towards you or downward then forget it. Since it’s not on a pivot ball like the Nuvi series once the mount is placed then that’s it. Also be careful once you place in your pocket the slightest touch of the power button will place the device on while draining the battery while you shop, as I found out by doing just that.

As stated in my first post I have the LG Dare phone from verizon so I decided to pair it up with the 8100, finding the device was a synch, add recent calls was a synch, adding phonebook was a synch. But, adding numbers with no name what the hell? How in the world am I supposed to know who I’m calling with over 140 phone numbers in my face? The nuvi imports the name along with number.

Now I’m not sure if this is a firmware issue that can be updated in the near future or a Bluetooth chipset issue which in that case may not ever get corrected unless the chip inside the unit is changed. One good thing is that if power down you don’t have to reconnect the phone and device once turned back on. As long as they are in proximity of each other they will reconnect and sync.

All in All I think this is a winner and with a few minor adjustments such as pivot mount head and Bluetooth upgrade I see this as a keeper. I know that I saved about $150 against those that have purchase it for $600 but just knowing that it will go down soon and even be offered with a mail in rebate just as a 7200 did, leans me towards sending it back and waiting another month or two. Nah! I don’t want to be without my GPS again, bye bye over two years old 760 hello future 8100T.

Oh and did I mention fresh maps update and life traffic. Fresh maps alone is worth its weight in gold.

If there is anything else I can do to help with answers to this device just let me know and I’ll do my best to give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

sixthday

36 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  05:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read this review of 8100t

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/navigate-away-from-the-navigon-8100t/

It says you can NOT charge the unit by directly plug the cable into the GPS. You have to plug the cable into the mount and then put the GPS on the mount to charge it.

Is this true? Can only of you who has the unit confirm it?
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  15:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by XxhaimBondxX

Do you have the actual GPS in your hand? If so, why don't you try it?

I do not have the GPS, I would not have to ask if i did :)
I am trying to determine if I want to buy it or not, and this POI name search is very important to me.
If you MUST know the city you want to search for a nearby POI By NAME search, then its a deal breaker for me.
I would like to get it clarified if possible.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  15:32:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@vince227 - I wonder if they've changed the mount head because on mine (see picture higher up in the topic) you can rotate it, not as much as a Garmin, but still quite enough to adjust it to your car, much more so than the 7200 that is hard to place properly.

@sixthday - no this is wrong, plugging the USB cable directly in the device is fine. Makes no sense anyway since if it were the case you wouldn't be able to recharge it while at your desk.

Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  17:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read the short write-up that "sixthday" referred to. That fellow really did not have much luck with the units he tried. My 8100T should arrive today from Dell and I will be very curious to see if it will indeed NOT power up when the car adapter is plugged directly into the unit. "gpspassion", I believe you said it will charge in this fashion, but did not indicate if it will turn on/off? Hopefully I can answer this question later today.
I currently own the 7200T and I guite like it except for the lack of POI's in the database and really expect this to be better in the 8100T. The search function, I believe, will be the same, but will just have more in there.
If the 8100T will not work I was looking to try the Garmin 765T, but after reading the hands-on by SergZak, I have to wonder about that unit to. Are there any good GPS units out there?
I really want the 8100T to be the one!!!

Lon
Go to Top of Page

vince227

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  18:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@GPSPASSION.
Page 4 seems to be identical to the one that you have in the window, as a matter of fact DOUBLE07 has an open box clear view and exactly the same arm and I can say that is the exact mount. There seems to be no Pivot at all.

One more thing I forgot to mention I realize last night that the street names were not spoken. All i got was turn now or turn in XX AMOUNT OF FEET. What Gives?
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  19:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@vince227

I thought i read that in the pana3D mode, the street names are not shown or spoken
Go to Top of Page

sixthday

36 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  20:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@vince227 & GPSPASSION

I think there is a difference between the Euro 8110 model and US 8100t model.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94203 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  20:39:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you be more specific ? Are you referring to the mount ?

@vince227 - couldn't find double07's picture, but this is the one posted by XxhaimBondxX on page 5 and it looks exactly like mine with the rotating head :

Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  21:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, this does in fact work well with the beanbag mount?
I thought the power cable got in the way
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2008 :  22:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
power cable is on top of the bulb
Go to Top of Page

vince227

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  00:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@GPSPASSION
correction I removed the unit off the mount and then forced the head to move and it does (up, down, left and right). The problem was it was so stiff That I was afraid to force movement. But I understand why and thats to keep it in it's place while driving over bumps and rough terrain.

@Booey I will try and verify rather road names is pronounced or not in 3D mode.
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  02:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by booey

@vince227

I thought i read that in the pana3D mode, the street names are not shown or spoken

Street names are not shown on the pana3D map, only next and current streets are shown at bottom middle of the screen. Street names are still spoken the same as regular 2D/3D mode.

Edited by - myzhi on 04 déc. 2008 03:02:59
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  03:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, thanks for clarifying that myzhi!

so.. can anyone please tell me if you have to input a city name when doing NEARBY search, and want to search by POI name, not category.

thanks!

Edited by - booey on 04 déc. 2008 03:16:06
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  03:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
F$^$E% NO!!!
Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  16:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is what I found with 8100T after few weeks of usage: Overall, I still think the device is really good and I still love this device. Here is what I found so far:

Touch Screen: I had Samsung i760 PDA phone before I switched to iPhone 3G. The Samsung touch sreen worked best with finger nail. Then the little light went off on top of my head (ting!!!). Hey, the 8100T is Win CE. So, I start to use finger nail to interact with the device. All I can say is, 99% success rate and the response is as close as instant.

Battery: I had a full charge on the device, and I have not used it for over day. I turned it on this morning for about 10 min. The low battery warning came on. I said "what the h#@$???" I went back and read the manual. Yes, that is by designed...RTFM. The manual said, it will keep on draining the battery if you didn't perform the actual shutdown procedure, see page 18.

Routing: I have tried many simulated routing and compare to google map. I'll say, it is about the same as what google map gave me.

POI search: For the most part it work great. But, I am still not able to find everything I want to find. ex: home-depot, lowe's, etc.. I still want the ability to fully search by name. It let me do it, but I didn't get what I am looking for. I am not sure if this is operator error or POI limitation???

Hard Case: I got the hard case at RadioShack for $20. It fit perfectly.

Reality View: this works great as well as lane assist. I like this feature as what I have in my car GPS. In fact, this is one of the criteria for me to get this GPS.

Oh Yes, 8100T crashed on me once. It happened while I was driving around wasting gas. The only way to get it back is to use a little stylus on the reset button.

Yes, USB cable charges the 8100T.

I think the unit is really great as my first portable GPS and I am very happy with the unit. Of course, enhancement will be great.

Edited by - double07 on 04 déc. 2008 19:10:45
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  17:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
double07, you said."I got the hard case at RadioShack for $20. It fit perfect." Which case did you buy? Is it the Navigon hard case or another one?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

vince227

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  18:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stree name spoken. I just solved my own problem, there is only voice that has TTS.

I tried the voice entry again but for the life I can't get it to recoginze the Bronx. In NY we say "The Bronx" so voice input I tried both "the Bronx" & "Bronx" over and over again but no success.

In 2D/3D mode display one shows street names and One doesn't.

Just one more thng. I hope in the first update that the street names will be a solid black or another color cause Grey on Grey just wont cut it, it blends in to well.

Friday wiil be my last test so maybe I can give my personal full view on the 8100
Go to Top of Page

double07

16 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  19:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lrtrees,

Here is the link to the case I was talking about:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3374885

Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  19:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2008 :  20:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by double07
Battery: I had a full charge on the device, and I have not used it for over day. I turned it on this morning for about 10 min. The low battery warning came on. I said "what the h#@$???" I went back and read the manual. Yes, that is by designed...RTFM. The manual said, it will keep on draining the battery if you didn't perform the actual shutdown procedure, see page 18.

Same problem. Mine has run out of battery 3X already. Running out of battery while in standby after 1-2 days is major issue.

quote:
POI search: For the most part it work great. But, I am still not able to find everything I want to find. ex: home-depot, lowe's, etc.. I still want the ability to fully search by name. It let me do it, but I didn't get what I am looking for. I am not sure if this is operator error or POI limitation???

Home Depot and Lowe's are there. When you do a "nearby" search, it's only within 6-7 miles. If the stores aren't within that range, they won't show up in the results. You need to use "Search in city."

quote:
Hard Case: I got the hard case at RadioShack for $20. It fit perfectly.

The official Navigon 4.3" listed at $20 aslo works.

quote:
Oh Yes, 8100T crashed on me once. It happened while I was driving around wasting gas. The only way to get it back is to use a little stylus on the reset button.

Mine hasn't crashed, but I have lost the ability to bluetooth with my cellphone a few times after coming out of standbye. Had to do reset with stylus to get it to work again.

quote:
Originally posted by booey

ok, thanks for clarifying that myzhi!
so.. can anyone please tell me if you have to input a city name when doing NEARBY search, and want to search by POI name, not category.

thanks!

"Nearby" search automatically selects 6-7 mile range you are in. That's why you can only do this search when you have a satellite fix. If you want to search by POI name, do a search, hit the button that brings down list to scroll(upper right), "select all categories" will be shown, select that, and then, type in the thing you want.

Edited by - myzhi on 06 déc. 2008 02:06:28
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2008 :  00:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received my 8100T yesterday from Dell. I will play with for awhile before I make up my mind, but so far I like it. There are several funny things about it. I am curious why it cannot be completely shut off like the 7200T. It will go into standby if the pwr button is held for ~3 seconds, but you can turn it completely of if the button is held for ~6-8 seconds. I wonder why the 8100T will not do that?
POI's are certainly better than the 7100T, but the search function is still somewhat messed up. Same firmware, same issues I suppose.
But what I am curious is this. While scrolling through a POI catagory that has several pages, Sometimes when I select the down/up arrow, it will scroll, but will blow right by a page. I select next page, say page 4, and it goes to page 5. I have seen this with some regularity while scrolling both forward and back.
Have any of you who own or have used a 8100T seen this? My 7200T did not ever do this. If it is normal operation I will not worry about it, just checking.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2008 :  01:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To turn it totally off, you need to press power (top) + reset button (bottom) with stylus. Stupid if you ask me.

It's skipping page because there's lag when information load. You are probably pressing the button, nothing changes and pressing it again. Thus, gps registers it as 2 down scroll.

Edited by - myzhi on 05 déc. 2008 01:53:30
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2008 :  02:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I realize that is how to turn it completely off, but as you said kind of stupid. It would be nice if they, Navigon, can fix that.
quote:
It's skipping page because there's lag when information load. You are probably pressing the button, nothing changes and pressing it again. Thus, gps registers it as 2 down scroll.

And your thoughts on the scrolling seem logical, but it happens almost instantly as if the up/down arrow were hit more than once. But they were not, only once. Has anyone else seen this?
Go to Top of Page

sixthday

36 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2008 :  22:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Turn Off function is stupid.

Even funny is the 8100t user manual. In basic operation section, it says you need to press the reset and the on/off button together. However, in the section of SD Card instruction, it tells you to press and hold the on/off button for 8+ seconds to turn off the unit.

What a joke.

Edited by - sixthday on 05 déc. 2008 22:47:26
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2008 :  00:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are able to power the 7200T down completely using the method you mentioned, holding the power button for ~8 seconds. For the life of me I do not know why it it different on the 8100T. Can anyone offer a good reason for this?

I just spoke to Navigon and was told there is no plans, at this time, to change this. The lady I spoke to said that is the way it was designed and could not be changed. I asked if it could be addressed in a firmware update and she said, "I don't believe so." I was in hopes that it could. She knew instantly what I was talking about, like she has heard about it more than once.

Edited by - lrtrees on 06 déc. 2008 00:58:36
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2008 :  14:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because powering down resets the unit completely, especially wince. If you made any modifications like turned the sound off, or mounted a drive out of unused space, any data will get deleted. Any changes to registry will be overwritten as well. They are just watching out for people who attempt to completely modify their device that they don't reset it accidentally while holding the power.
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2008 :  18:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XxhaimBondxX, you surely might be right, but I would still like for the function to be easier.
I must say though, that for me, besides that issue, this device is pretty cool. After using it for several days, I am not sure I could use a Garmin 765T again.
I would like to see access to POI's, by entering a name, as a feature. A little to much guess work try to figure out that Staples is listed under "Shopping" and then "Specialty Store". Why not just search for "Staples"?
I do like the 4.8 screen size and find the mount to be very stable.
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2008 :  19:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure why people have trouble searching by name. I am able to Search POI by choosing "All Categories" and then skipping to "Destination" where you can bring up the keyboard and type in the name.
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2008 :  20:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XxhaimBondxX, thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and I believe that will help. Now let me ask you this, if I want to locate all the Home Depots in any given state, how do I do that or can I? I tried doing it the way you suggested and had no luck, but maybe I was doing something wrong.

Thanks again,
Lon
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2008 :  21:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that in 8100T you can search by state. Just the same way you search in a city. I don't have 8100T to be sure, but try selecting all categories again, and then either browse by store or skip to the name.
Go to Top of Page

myzhi

26 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  02:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lrtrees,

Looks like statewide search is very limited to few categories, shopping (Home Depot) is not one of them.
Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  03:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same in 7200t. I think it only shows Zagat entries. Or at least of some significant importance.
Go to Top of Page

Nikon1

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  14:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! First post for me, so I Am A Noob.

I just received my 8100T from JR - and there was no User's Manual in the box. I can access the User's Manual on-line, but it's not the same as having a hard copy book.

When I plug the 8100T into my computer, the charge light stays on (in an Orange condition) a for a few minutes, but then goes out. It never goes to "Green" as the on-line book says it will. Yet, when I turn the unit on, the on-screen indicator does show a full charge and the indicator is Blue.

I am also trying to get an additional mounting arm and power cord, so that I can leave one in my car and have one for the rental cars I find myself in all to often. Navigon USA is unable to provide me with any help except, "check our on-line store" - which of course has nothing for the 8100T.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by - Nikon1 on 07 déc. 2008 15:00:12
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  15:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XxhaimBondxX, thanks for the help. As both you and myzhi mentioned, if you chose to look for a specific store in the statewide search mode, you likely will not find it. Semms to be very specific/limited as to what is listed there. Not sure I understand Navigons reasoning there either, but it is what it is. I am happy to of learned from XxhaimBondxX's help.

Nikon1, there seems to be several references in the online owners manual that do not jive with the actual unit. My 8100T functions the same as yours as far as the indicator lights. Orange light when charging which simply goes out when unit is charged. On the 7200T, the light turns to green when fully charged. Something else i have have found involves powering the unit completely down, not just placing it in standby. The only way I am aware of to power the 8100T completely down is to puch the power button and the reset button at the same time even thought the online manual again indicates that pressing and holding the power button for approx 6-8 seconds will power it off. Not true. That does work on the 7200T, but not the 8100T. It would be nice to have a actual manual, but it seem more often than not, manufactures are doing away with them. Hell, even a PDF on disc would be nice. Oh well.

I was playing around comparing the 8100T to a nuvi 765T and I really do prefer the 8100T. I prefer the colors, the map layout and many other things. There were POI's that the 8100T found that the nuvi did not and things the nuvi found that the 8100T did not. I suppose none of them are perfect, but I think Navigon is on the right track. They just need to continue refining.

By the way, I found this case at RadioShack that fits the 8100T pretty good. Tried to post a picture, but don't seem to be smart enough, so here is a link. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3379548

Sorry so long winded
Go to Top of Page

Nikon1

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  16:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lrtrees - Thanks for the reply: Sounds like you did not receive a manual either?

And I have learned to push both the power and the reset button: Strange way to have to power a system off but, hopefully, they'll look at improving this situation.

As I am US based, I wondered if the European versions came with a hard copy manual and the US Version did not? As an employee of a computer peripheral manufacturer, I know we are attempting to cut cost by reducing the number of printed manuals enclosed with our products. However, we do include those manuals on a CD.

So - how many (if any) US based customers received a printed User's manual with their 8100T units?

Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  16:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Save the trees, D/L your manuals. Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm used to find/read everything online, so it's not a problem for me. In PDF, you can search for specific topic by text, plus I think you can also add notes. You can save them to your PC, they don't take much space, and you don't have to worry about ever loosing them. There are probably few more benefits, but I think you got the point.
Go to Top of Page

lrtrees

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  17:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nikon1, I am not aware of anyone, in the USA, getting a hardcopy manual.
And to be honest, the power deal bothers me alot more than the lack of a printed owners manual.
Go to Top of Page

Nikon1

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  21:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the consensus of the stupidity of the power off dance we have to do. This means I have to pull the GPS off its mount, pull the stylus and press the reset while depressing the power switch; reinstall the stylus and re-hang the GPS on its mount.

What were they thinking? What if I want to reset the 8100T to a factory condition? I can only hope they come up with a work around for this bad design.

Otherwise, I really like the unit. Clear graphics, good volume, solid mount on the windshield, quick syncing with the birds in the air, good mapping so far.

And I got it from J & R for $495.00, based on price matching from Dell's sale of several weeks ago! I'm happy!

Edited by - Nikon1 on 07 déc. 2008 21:43:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05