Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2801

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Magellan Roadmate and Maestro AIOs
 Unlocking Magellan Maestro series
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

tricorn

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2008 :  18:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once you get the right version of WinCE loaded, you'll be able to see it as a USB drive on your PC; at that point you need to load a UNIT_ID.DAT file onto it, then you should be able to run the rest of the firmware update. Once that's loaded, you'll be able to see a user interface, but you won't have maps, and (probably, if my experience is indicative) your serial number will show as zero.

Since you won't have any maps, you'll be stuck until a) you can get the serial number restored (I'm working on figuring that out), and b) you purchase a map upgrade and install that (since you have to unlock it to the serial number you have registered with them it won't work until you can get the unit's serial number restored; you can fake it to get it installed, but the unit will still not accept it).

At least, that's how it worked for me, I can get the installer to accept that the unit is the correct serial number and install the (locked) maps, but the firmware won't accept it since it thinks the serial number is 0.
Go to Top of Page

xmen8

1 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2008 :  22:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you get iGo8 to work on the magellan?
Any tips?
Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by mjmeans

Some new info... I'm pretty sure the 18r6 update for the 3100 has the updated host controller sdhc_sc2443.dll since it is dated June 12, 2007, since it's dated after the May 7th SD 2.0 update. However, the built-in sdbus.dll and sdmemory.dll are dated March 7, 2007 so the problem is likely only with these two drivers. I think I read somewhere that a Mio running CE 5 and a 2443 processor has been confirmed to work with SDHC. If anyone has the hc, bus and memory dll files from that please share them.

Also, even though the 3100 has sdmemory.dll, there is no [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\SDMemory] key and entries in the default registry. Yet the SD card works with 2GB and lower cards. But if I add the key and entries to enable the already Magellan supplied dll, it stops recognizing any SD card. So this is pretty weird.

I am building a collection of .reg and .mscr files that mostly unlock the 3100. I have working: Windows CE Desktop (Explorer), Control Panel, SIP, CAB Install and Start Menu with several utilities (regedit, resmgr, editor, calc and some others), and iGo8 works! Also the script, upon hard reset asks if it should be installed or not.

A few more things I want to finish before the unlock is finished enough to post: My Device, Recycle Bin, SDHC, and more control panel applets.

And I still need to test \Windows\Startup entries to make sure they work as expected.

Go to Top of Page

bainos

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2008 :  23:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(sorry i was editing my old message.. i did not see you reply)

thanks for reply

I extracted the file which contains the Crossover upgrade and foun a winceimg.bin file.
I created a winceimg.cks file with:

binSize: <size in byte of winceimg.bin>
checksum: <last 4 bytes of winceimg.bin>

for checksum i used:
(under linux)
od -x /media/pendrive0/winceimg.bin | tail -2

the out put is:
25666300 2210 8c00 0000 0000 0000 0000 b722 6eb1

so the checksum is 0xB7226EB1

(under windows)
i used WinHex and had the same checksum

(i followed instruction fonud in this forum)

Then i put the image and the cks file on the sd card and try to boot the magella from the sd, but i got the same error:

"..
ERROR happened!
Put image file into SD!"

then i tried to upgrade WINCE from the bios but i got a "checksum error".. This i cannot understand.. i Think the checksum is right..

thanks for any help
regards
bainos

Edited by - bainos on 14 oct. 2008 23:58:28
Go to Top of Page

bainos

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2008 :  00:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Once you get the right version of WinCE loaded, you'll be able to see it as a USB drive on your PC

how did you load WinCE? from sd? how? simply copying winceimg.bin and cks on the sd? which filesystem i need on sd? fat16? fat32? my sd is 2GB, is it too big?

sorry for all this quastions.. i'm reading many threads on this formu and i'm a bit confused.. I can't understand where i made i mistake :(

i noticed another thing: im the error messag i get when i boot from sd i have NOT this string: "BOOTSEC is in Sector 63!!"

many thanks
regards
bainos
Go to Top of Page

tricorn

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2008 :  01:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, FAT32 should be fine, I don't know if 2GB works or not (I know 1GB and 16MB work).

Yes, just put winceimg.bin and winceimg.cks on the SD card.

Note that when you try to go to the boot menu, you should NOT have the SD card inserted, as it will try to boot from it (that's when you get the BOOTSEC in sector 63 message). If you're getting the 0=WINCE Upgrade 1=GPS Tools etc. menu, you're fine, select WINCE Upgrade, then WINCE by SD/MMC (either format or not, doesn't matter to you since you already formatted it).

I'm assuming you know how to get to and work in the boot menu, using the "power" and "reset" buttons.
Go to Top of Page

tricorn

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2008 :  02:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be sure to subtract 4 from the actual file size of winceimg.bin to exclude the checksum at the end of the file from the checksum calculation.

Odd that it doesn't have a winceimg.cks file in the COPY_GROUP_xx directory. Also, you checked to see if there's more than one winceimg.bin file? With the Maestro upgrades, there are multiple versions to cover the different hardware options, you can figure out which is which by looking at various clues in the Setup.mgup file.

The winceimg.cks file that comes with the upgrade for the Maestro looks like, e.g the one from COPY_GROUP_2:

(with file size = 6171624)

binSize : 6171620
checksum: 0x24C7BF1E

I doubt the exact spacing matters, though.
Go to Top of Page

bainos

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2008 :  09:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

just put winceimg.bin and winceimg.cks on the SD card.

Note that when you try to go to the boot menu, you should NOT have the SD card inserted, as it will try to boot from it (that's when you get the BOOTSEC in sector 63 message). If you're getting the 0=WINCE Upgrade 1=GPS Tools etc. menu, you're fine, select WINCE Upgrade, then WINCE by SD/MMC (either format or not, doesn't matter to you since you already formatted it).

I'm assuming you know how to get to and work in the boot menu, using the "power" and "reset" buttons.

This is how I worked sice now :)

quote:

Be sure to subtract 4 from the actual file size of winceimg.bin to exclude the checksum at the end of the file from the checksum calculation.

It alway says me "checksum error" :(

Note that with other winxceimg.bin files i didn't get this error (i get "unknown image format" but the checksum is right)
I noticed that i have two different checksum from linux and windows:

LINUX
od -x winceimg.bin | tail -2
25666300 2210 8c00 0000 0000 0000 0000 b722 6eb1

so i assume 0xb7226eb1

WINDOWS (WinHex)
22B7B366 (checksum 32 bit)

I tried with both, but nothing.. (for other images i had not this problem, the checksum was always equal in win and in linux)

I give you the link to the upgrade (there is only one image in this upgrade) can you check it please?
http://www.gpshelp.org/cross214.html
the image (without cks) is in COPY_OS_1 folder..

thanks again for help
regards
bainos

Edited by - bainos on 15 oct. 2008 09:58:35
Go to Top of Page

bainos

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2008 :  16:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YEAH!!!
FINALLY a little step!!

may be i didn't understand, but here what i've done

1- open winceimg.bin with winhex
2- select all the block except the last 4 bits
3- calculate hash
4- subtract 4 from the binsize in winceimg.cks

the right winceimg.cks for the file i linked before is:

binSize : 5729484
checksum: 0x22B7B16E

Now the situation is better!!

I cant run the upgrade even if the pc now recognize the device..
i think the problem is "usbtransfer.exe".. i read somewhere that it is possible to launch apps at startup fro a file called "autorun.inf" or something similar..

Thanks for the support!!

regards
bainos

Go to Top of Page

bainos

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2008 :  17:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well. i was (re)reading the thread.. tricorn wrote:
quote:

"Once you get the right version of WinCE loaded, you'll be able to see it as a USB drive on your PC; at that point you need to load a UNIT_ID.DAT file onto it, then you should be able to run the rest of the firmware update"

I can't see it as usb device.. maybe i need some drivers? i'm using
WCEUSBSH (INF and SYS)

Magellan Tools doesn't seee the device.. :( ufff

regards
bainos

In linux see this in the dmesg log
[ 5144.536182] usb 3-1.1: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
[ 5144.643676] usb 3-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 5144.643676] usbserial_generic 3-1.1:1.0: generic converter detected
[ 5144.643676] usb 3-1.1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[ 5144.643676] usb 3-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=120f, idProduct=524d
[ 5144.643676] usb 3-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 5144.643676] usb 3-1.1: Product: Magellan RoadMate USB Sync
[ 5144.643676] usb 3-1.1: Manufacturer: MiTAC.
[ 5144.658907] generic ttyUSB0: generic converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[ 5144.658938] usbserial_generic 3-1.1:1.0: device disconnected

The serial number is 0, you are right..
as you can see the devive at first time is connected as generic usb converter, but it is immediately disconnectet..

Edited by - bainos on 15 oct. 2008 19:27:39
Go to Top of Page

cmjpaj

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2008 :  18:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Same situation 2200t Format of the flash Have Boot Loader Menu Only!
Been following along step by step used the same 2.14 file created and copied files as outlined. It now has a Black Bar on a White Screen The bar loads to the end of the Scren and stops. Question, is this what you all call the "System View Screen" or is this still a bad OS load ? I awas going to try and continue onward by following the steps that call for making the G2577 Autorun.exe and App Folder posted in other thread.
The problem is that I cannot find anything that even looks like an Auto Run, Exe Inf? or an APP Folder ?
Does anyone know what file or files I would use. This 2.14 file is very diff from other upgrade version files
I was also wondering if the proceedure used in the Unbricking my 3200 would work if all else fails ? If I understand it correctely they are basically running MIO v28 from the SD card.
I know alot of questions but any input or or help would be appreciated.
Unit is 2200t
Hardware Ver 1, I say this because I have another exact unit "That Works" upgraded to a Crossover and it say it is Harware version 2 if this makes a diff
thanks for any and all input
Go to Top of Page

tricorn

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2008 :  23:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried hooking it up to a Linux box to see what it says, I do have problems with using in on a Mac (it shows up as a mass storage device, but then (depending on what happens) it stops responding correctly and all I get is I/O errors.

If it is in correct USB mode, the screen should go blue and it it goes to the "USB connected" screen; disconnecting the USB does a soft reset.

So I don't know if the Mac has WinCE-specific drivers that just don't work right, and perhaps Linux doesn't recognize it at all, or if it is supposed to be a proper generic USB mass storage device and "just work". Anyone know anything more about the WCEUSBSH driver and what's going on here?

Note that if you go into the "update WINCE via USB" option from the boot menu it identifies as a different device type (I forget which, TEST-something).
Go to Top of Page

Sam Ontario

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2008 :  01:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mjmeans

Some new info... I'm pretty sure the 18r6 update for the 3100 has the updated host controller sdhc_sc2443.dll since it is dated June 12, 2007, since it's dated after the May 7th SD 2.0 update. However, the built-in sdbus.dll and sdmemory.dll are dated March 7, 2007 so the problem is likely only with these two drivers. I think I read somewhere that a Mio running CE 5 and a 2443 processor has been confirmed to work with SDHC. If anyone has the hc, bus and memory dll files from that please share them.

Also, even though the 3100 has sdmemory.dll, there is no [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\SDMemory] key and entries in the default registry. Yet the SD card works with 2GB and lower cards. But if I add the key and entries to enable the already Magellan supplied dll, it stops recognizing any SD card. So this is pretty weird.

I am building a collection of .reg and .mscr files that mostly unlock the 3100. I have working: Windows CE Desktop (Explorer), Control Panel, SIP, CAB Install and Start Menu with several utilities (regedit, resmgr, editor, calc and some others), and iGo8 works! Also the script, upon hard reset asks if it should be installed or not.

A few more things I want to finish before the unlock is finished enough to post: My Device, Recycle Bin, SDHC, and more control panel applets.

And I still need to test \Windows\Startup entries to make sure they work as expected.

I don't know about Mio CE5.0 can handle SDHC cards, but I do know WM6.0 or above support SDHC in my Dell Axim X50v after flashed with a cooked ROM by Football on XDA-Developer forum. When I upgraded my X50v from WM2003SE to WM5, it did not recognise the SDHC card.

Sam
Magellan Maestro 3140, Sanyo NVM-4370, Mio C310x

Edited by - Sam Ontario on 18 oct. 2008 02:23:28
Go to Top of Page

cmjpaj

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2008 :  11:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
Dont think the 2.14 firmware update worked right "White screen and Black load bar" I would like to try a differant version like the 1.72. The problem is that I do not know how to aquire Checksum Value to put with the Bin Img. file. Can someone tell me in a simple way how I can find this value?
and if Winhex is what I need to start.
Thanks Again to for the great information.
Go to Top of Page

bainos

Italy
16 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2008 :  12:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ cmjpaj

Yes, you need WihHex (or another hexeditor which can calculate checksum).
I do non know why, but for my magella crossover, i needed to follo theese steps:

1- open winceimg.bin with winhex
2- select all the block except the last 4 bits
3- calculate hash
4- subtract 4 from the binsize in winceimg.cks

so you have to calculate the checksum for the whole file except for the last 4 bits and have to declare "binSize : <filesize -4>"
in the cks file.

However the file i linked above does not work well. In that winceimg.bin file there is not the usbtransfer.exe application so the device can not be connected to the computer.. In my opinion WCEUSBSH driver works if usbtransfer process is running and vice versa (usbtransef works if WCEUSBSH driver is installed) but i really do not know.. this is my supposition.

I think that a solution could be to try to modify winceimg.bin file with adding the usbtransfer.exe file to it..
To do this i'm look at theese links:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsme/projects/xda/romtools.html
http://www.sovereign.org/~casey/zaurus/Zaurus_Custom_ROM_Instructions.html

Maybe somebody more skilled than me could have a look to theese links and have a try whith those tools..

hope this helps!

In my (very little) experience in had the same results in Windows as in Linux: if my device doesn't work in Linux it doesn't work in Windows too.

FOR LINUX USERS:
I use a Debian Sid distro.
I used "ndiswrapper" application to install WCEUSBSH driver for Win on Linux.

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper (install the package)
sudo ndiswrapper -h (see a little help)
sudo ndiswrapper -i (install .inf file)
sudo ndiswrapper -l (list installed drivers and show connected devices)

it seems to work fine..

regards
bainos
Go to Top of Page

cmjpaj

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2008 :  18:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Info, I will try to see if I an can do it. The reason is, that the earlier update versions were different in fact the 2.14 upgrade stopped working with the PC TOOLS, you had to get upgraded tool version otherwise you could not connect. This Is something else that should be considered is there a driver in the upgraded PC tools that works only with the new 2.14 firmware. anyway the older file structures in the earlier vers look more like the examples on the forum for achieving the second part of restore i.e. making a APP Folder and putting AUTORUN.EXE or some other executible file renamed to start the GUI. I am by no means knowlegable about this type of thing but from what I have have been reading "over the last 3 wks" I believe that this is the way to go. If I can get the interface running I would like to get Mio Pocket running like the fellow who posted the Unbricked my 3200 thread. Thanks again for the help I will see if I can use this info and come up with a working Checksum for one of the ealier upgrades.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05