Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com


GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com



Versions

Links/Liens




Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2221




Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal


GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Magellan Roadmate and Maestro AIOs
 Clean installation of OS 2.36 on Maesto 4XXX
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  08:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thead

How can I check how much memory is left in my 4040?
Thanks



go to the secret menu as discribed earlier in this thread.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

viorelgsm

5 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  11:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Yarus
Sir, i need your help...
My magellan maestro 4040 "is dead"...no connection whit pc for update firmware ...
i need winceimg.bin for sdcard...in secret menu (power+reset) and update whit sdcard, but i don't have this .bin file.....

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  19:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by viorelgsm

@ Yarus
Sir, i need your help...
My magellan maestro 4040 "is dead"...no connection whit pc for update firmware ...
i need winceimg.bin for sdcard...in secret menu (power+reset) and update whit sdcard, but i don't have this .bin file.....

Thanks in advance!



This not the secret menu. You are referring to bootloader menu. Anyway, go to www.magellangps.com and download the 2.36 update for 4040. Extract all files and you will find 4-5 different BIN images inside extacted folders. Try flashing them one by one util you find the right one. *You cannot brick the device by flashing wrong rom*

Most of them will give you wrong checksu error, but will be able to load 2 of them. If one of them worked but the device is acting strange (like phone button appears where it should not be, etc) then its the other one.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040

Edited by - yarus on 14 déc. 2007 19:41:09
Go to Top of Page

jaumann

8 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2007 :  22:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by XrisFall

I am looking for some help with my magellan 4040. When I was trying to update my 4040, I seem to have accidently wiped all the files off my magellan, and I don't have a backup file for it. The windows CE core still loads, and when I plug it into USB it recognizes it. There are folders on my magellan, but no files in them. When I try to run the 2.36 update again it tells me the battery is too low, even when the unit is plugged into the wall.



I did the same thing and sort of fixed it today. You can extract the new firmware update (use 7zip or winrar or something similar) and then copy every file from copy_group_12 to a directory in the root of your gps named "APP". Hit the reset button on the GPS, and that should boot it up. At that point, connect the USB cable again and run a full firmware upgrade to ensure that everything is fixed.

Now, I said it was sort of a fix, as my maps are still gone. I started another thread requesting how to fix them. It may be as simple as someone zipping them up and sending them to me, so if any kind soul with a maestro 4040 would be able to send me the contents of their map folder, I would be forever indebted.
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2007 :  20:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by XrisFall

I charged it over night, said the same thing. I left it plugged into the wall, does the same thing. One new twist I noticed, if I take the SD card out it says that it can't find a 40xx unit.



I think you need to edit unit_id.dat file on both the unit and sdcard.

Add the folowing: Power status=HIGH and try the upgrade again.


Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

thead

8 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2007 :  04:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yarus,
I did the clean install and I must say your instructions were right on. I will try it out tomorrow but everything seems to be working well. I can definately notice a difference with the lookups. I hope the destination points are more accurate. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Tom
Go to Top of Page

kodak12

2 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2007 :  10:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yarus:
Is that possible we can swap the Garmin vehicle icons to Magellan's icon (boring blue triangle)? I wonder the file extension is the same in both unit...
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2007 :  18:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kodak12

Yarus:
Is that possible we can swap the Garmin vehicle icons to Magellan's icon (boring blue triangle)? I wonder the file extension is the same in both unit...



I did not get that far yet, but this is a good point. I'll start looking into this.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

GKreamer

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2007 :  06:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a suggestion, add the following as a standard part of this process:

Edit unit_id.dat file on both the unit and sdcard. Open with Notepad
Change the line "Power status=MED" to "Power status=HIGH" or add the following: "Power status=HIGH" and try the upgrade again.

George
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

GKreamer

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2007 :  06:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW... EXCELLENT INFO!!! Works like a champ!!!

George
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

ranger94

1 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2007 :  07:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have posted under username thead but changed to this username. I have a quick question. I did the clean install and it has worked great, one small little quirk that happens once in a while when the voice says main menu or enter address it will sort of stutter, that is the best way I can describe it. I am not sure if there is a file I missed or something. I re-did the clean install and it still does it. Any suggestions? Hope everyone has a happy new year and thanks for all the input.
Tom
Go to Top of Page

sahgps

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2007 :  21:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like jaumann, I deleted the internal memory of the 4040. I just got this unit for Christmas and when I registered it was notified of a firmware update. I had researched this unit and knew I wanted 2.36 version 3 so I happily followed the website directions and downloaded it.

I was in the process of applying the firmware update and came to a screen saying I needed a blank SD card. I just assumed that the SD card I put in had some stuff on it so I opened up Windows Explorer (I'm using XP) and deleted the first removeable drive I saw (guess where this is going).

Bad things started to happen. Actually, I guess bad things started to happened as soon as I deleted the internal memory of the 4040! Crud. Why did they name the 4040 "TFAT" instead of something like "MAGELLAN" or "MM4040"??? Only after I nuked it did I realize that there were two removeable drives and one was named "Kingston". Also, you would also think something as important as the files of the internal memory would have some rudimentary protection on it so idiots like me couldn't delete them without some extra effort. Or backup files on the CD that came with the unit!

Anyway, I after searching and finding this forum, I was able to load up the new OS and firmware but like jaumann, not the maps. A friend of mine has a 4040, too, so I'm going to copy his entire MAP folder and do a clean install again.

Getting to the real reasons for my post. First, after updating I checked the UNIT_ID.dat file on the 4040 and the first two line are:

Model name=CrossoverGPS
Model number=385840

Is that normal? I'd hate to have the unit think it's a Crossover.

Second, that UNIT_ID.dat file also lists:

Firmware version=2.36

Will the new firmware update run if it already thinks it's current? Do I need to change that to some previous version, like 2.24 (the firmware version of the unit I'm getting the map files) or 2.04 (the firmware version that was on my unit out of the box)?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

sahgps

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2007 :  21:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to ask about the "secret menu". Maybe I'm missing the obvious (I did delete the wrong flash memory) but is it just hooking it up to a PC and being able to see it as a removeable drive to find out how much space is left on the internal memory? Or is it something else?
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2007 :  21:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and Yes. Your unitid.dat is ok and you will be able to reload the OS even if it i already 2.36.

quote:
Originally posted by sahgps

Like jaumann, I deleted the internal memory of the 4040. I just got this unit for Christmas and when I registered it was notified of a firmware update. I had researched this unit and knew I wanted 2.36 version 3 so I happily followed the website directions and downloaded it.

I was in the process of applying the firmware update and came to a screen saying I needed a blank SD card. I just assumed that the SD card I put in had some stuff on it so I opened up Windows Explorer (I'm using XP) and deleted the first removeable drive I saw (guess where this is going).

Bad things started to happen. Actually, I guess bad things started to happened as soon as I deleted the internal memory of the 4040! Crud. Why did they name the 4040 "TFAT" instead of something like "MAGELLAN" or "MM4040"??? Only after I nuked it did I realize that there were two removeable drives and one was named "Kingston". Also, you would also think something as important as the files of the internal memory would have some rudimentary protection on it so idiots like me couldn't delete them without some extra effort. Or backup files on the CD that came with the unit!

Anyway, I after searching and finding this forum, I was able to load up the new OS and firmware but like jaumann, not the maps. A friend of mine has a 4040, too, so I'm going to copy his entire MAP folder and do a clean install again.

Getting to the real reasons for my post. First, after updating I checked the UNIT_ID.dat file on the 4040 and the first two line are:

Model name=CrossoverGPS
Model number=385840

Is that normal? I'd hate to have the unit think it's a Crossover.

Second, that UNIT_ID.dat file also lists:

Firmware version=2.36

Will the new firmware update run if it already thinks it's current? Do I need to change that to some previous version, like 2.24 (the firmware version of the unit I'm getting the map files) or 2.04 (the firmware version that was on my unit out of the box)?

Thanks in advance.


Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

au5150

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2008 :  04:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few questions regarding the steps in your clean install.
Question 1) After reformatting the TFAT drive you show only copying the MAP dir and the SYS dir back onto the newly formatted TFAT drive on the Maestro. What about the APP and USR directories?

Question 2)Can you explain further "7. Copy backup directory from SD backup (Step 5 Section 1) to SD card." ?? What backup directory? Are you talking about a backup directory that is created on the SD card when you run the Maestro's backup utility?

Question 3) Regarding running the update "8. Run Magellan’s 2.36 OS update (get it on Magellan’s website) and make sure to plug in external power while doing it."
In steps 6 & 7 you instruct us to copy the USBTRANS directory and the backup directory to the SD card. And then in step 8 run the Magellan update. Well, the first step of the Magellan update instructs you to put an empty SD card in the Maestro and turn the unit on and hook it up to a USB cable. Obviously, the SD card is not empty since we are adding USBTRANS and backup...will that be create a problem running the update?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05