Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2007 :  02:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to share my experience with Magellan Maestro 4040. I’ve picked it up in Costco at $299 and cannot be happier with this device. Having extensive technical background I attempted to learn more about inner workings of the device to improve my end-user experience and so far discovered a few tricks that may be helpful for some Magellan Maestro 4XXX users.

I’ve heard some people complain that after firmware upgrade or just after a period of use the Maestro slows down when searching for Zip Codes, Street Addresses, POI Names and pretty much anything else.

Note that searches for Zip Codes and Street Addresses on Maestro should be almost instant. If it takes longer than a second to find a Zip Code or a Street Address then you may want to read this post.

I believe the problem is fragmentation of map data files. I cannot be sure about fragmentation of map data files, but after a series of experiments I’m able to both slow down and speed up search speeds at will.

Please note that operations described below require some basic computer skills and wits. In any even I cannot be held responsible if you brick your device or do not achieve expected results. Any changes you make to your device are your responsibility.

How to perform clean installation of Operating System 2.36 and optimize search speeds on Magellan Maestro 4XXX

(Note that some Maestro models do not have 2.36 OS released yet.)

Also note that if you have a Magellan Maestro and running anything less that version 2.36 – you should upgrade to 2.36 if available. This will completely change your perception of the device. Nearly all whines and complains from Garmin lovers have been addressed. In fact, I did several comparison tests with NUVI 650 and I say Maestro is the bomb.

(SECTION 1)

There are a few steps you need to do before going through with this.

1. Obtain a copy of latest Magellan software/firmware update. Currently 2.36 Release 3. Note that even if you have 2.36 on your device already you might not have the latest version. In the past few months Magellan released at least 3 versions of 2.36. Go figure. Anyway, go to Magellangps.com and get it.

2. Get an SD card. 32MB will do nicely.

3. Put SD card in the device and reset it using needle in the hole below USB plug. This should create USBTRANS directory and UNIT_ID.DAT file on your SD card. Check that. If not, copy USBTRANS directory (with UNIT_ID.DAT file inside) from your Maestro’s SYS directory to SD card and reset the unit again.

4. Navigate through Maestro’s screens to make a backup of your address book and settings. Look in the manual to figure out how.

5. Make complete backup of your Maestro. I mean plug in your device to your computer via USB and copy every file and directory from SD card and Maestro device to a safe location. Pay extra attention to MAP directory. If you lose it you are screwed.

(SECTION 2)

Now it begins. Make sure you really decided to follow through with this.

1. Format your Magellan device (keep label TFAT) with FAT32 (use default allocation unit size).

2. Format your SD card. You do not need to remove your SD card from the device to format it. It will be recognized as Removable drive by your computer once Maestro is plugged in to your computer’s USB port.

3. Copy MAP directory from backup (Step 5 Section 1) to root of Maestro’s TFAT drive. Just drag the whole directory to the root of Magellan’s drive. Make sure that MAP directory is first to be copied to the device. Do not copy any other files to Magellan in parallel while copying of MAP directory is in process. This will ensure optimal map data placement and provide for lightening fast searches.

4. Examine SYS directory in your backup. Ensure that the following structure exists.
SYS directory --> USBTRANS directory --> UNIT_ID.DAT file
Do not copy any other directories or files that may exist in your backup in the next step.

5.Copy SYS directory from your backup (Step 5 Section 1) to the root of Maestro’s TFAT drive. Make sure to copy only the following: SYS directory --> USBTRANS directory --> UNIT_ID.DAT file.

6. Copy USBTRANS directory from underneath of SYS directory (from Magellan’s TFAT drive) to SD card.

7. Copy backup directory from SD backup (Step 5 Section 1) to SD card.

8. Run Magellan’s 2.36 OS update (get it on Magellan’s website) and make sure to plug in external power while doing it.

9. Once update is complete unplug USB and Device will go through a series of reboots and finally come up in brand new and untouched state. Just like you first bought it. You may wish to restore you address book and settings after setup is compete.
That’s it. I’ll try to share some more trick once I get time later.

Yarus

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040

Edited by - yarus on 09 déc. 2007 21:35:00

Ads

gwwest

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2007 :  04:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yarus, sounds like you really know your stuff. I have just started a site just above your entry called "Magellan Maestro Users- Let's Talk" group. Your input and comments will be great for all of us and maybe we can get many to migrate to that section so Magellan Maestro users will all be together. Maybe you can explain my first post question there to me?
Thanks, Glenn, gwest--------
Go to Top of Page

Niteowl

9 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2007 :  15:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. How do you know if you have version 3 of 2.36? Also should you format the SD card before downloading the firmware upgrade? If you format do you just take the MS defaults?
Thanks for the help,
Ira

Ira
RM 5120LM Maestro 4000 Maestro 4050 Garmin 265WT
Go to Top of Page

thead

8 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2007 :  23:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting and may be worth a try. Have you noticed if it is more accurate on the destination point. I have noticed since the 2.36 (R3) upgrade that it will tell me I have arrived after I have passed the destination. Thanks for the input.
Tom
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2007 :  18:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl

Very interesting. How do you know if you have version 3 of 2.36? Also should you format the SD card before downloading the firmware upgrade? If you format do you just take the MS defaults?
Thanks for the help,
Ira

If your Maestro is more that 1 week old you do not have Release 3.

Format TFAT first and SD card right after that. Since you download firmaware to your local computer it does not matter what you do first. The 4040 only supports up to 2GB on SD card (FAT partition) so format SD card as FAT with default allocation unit size.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040

Edited by - yarus on 11 déc. 2007 00:13:45
Go to Top of Page

swak

6 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2007 :  22:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 4250. I know Magellan doesn't list 2.36 as an update yet but I read a post on Amazon where someone said the 4250 was supposed to come with 2.36 but it wasn't ready in time. Has anyone tried it on a 4250?
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2007 :  22:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swak

I have a 4250. I know Magellan doesn't list 2.36 as an update yet but I read a post on Amazon where someone said the 4250 was supposed to come with 2.36 but it wasn't ready in time. Has anyone tried it on a 4250?

What I know for sure is that MAP and POI files are in different format so between 40XX and 42XX series those MAPs and POIs are not interchangeable. There is no 2.36 upgrade for 42XX series yet.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2007 :  23:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thead

Very interesting and may be worth a try. Have you noticed if it is more accurate on the destination point. I have noticed since the 2.36 (R3) upgrade that it will tell me I have arrived after I have passed the destination. Thanks for the input.
Tom

I cannot determine that for sure. I have not experienced that problem. The problem you experiencing may be related to lag due to amount of free memory left.

Yarus

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

jabko

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  14:03:29  Show Profile  Visit jabko's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Called Magellan yersetrday, and the 2.36 Version is available for download on the site for the 4250, after you log in, downloaded and installed as per there instructions, has a lot of new features and fixes verus my old 2.08.
My unit lost voice many times and was unresponsive to the touch panel and needed to be reset to correct, upgrading to see if it corrects the problem trying it out today, also noted that the speaker icon now turns red when you mute the unit now.
Was also suppose to make the voice commands better, when asking questions. Will give it the test today on the road doing service..........John B
Go to Top of Page

jabko

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  14:49:06  Show Profile  Visit jabko's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry just realized I have the 4050 unit not 4250 list below of the units changes from magellan on the 4050.

Magellan Maestro 4050 Firmware Version 2.36 - Release Notes

This update applies to Magellan Maestro 4050. It includes the following features, fixes and improvements:
New Features

Arrival / Distance / Time Remaining

* Easily toggle between arrival time, distance to destination, and time to destination on map screen when routing

Voice Command and Control

* Added unlocking for Voice Command and Control on Maestro 4040 (Unlock fee required to access this feature - more information)
* Previous and Next commands added
* Improved start-up time
* Improved disable/enable function; user may choose to enable or disable Voice Command in User Options menu
* Voice Command for Reroute screen removed
* Improved recognition for voice commands

Improved Map Screen

* Improved Map Screen
* New images and icons
* Smoother updating of the map while driving.
* Split TrueView is disabled when AutoTrueView is unchecked in Map Options
* Exits without any POIs do not appear
* Improved Auto Night view, with smooth day/night switching, adjusted brightness, more colors and ON by default
* Improved vehicle position icon in 3D view

Delete Previous button

* Additional functionality enables user to delete previous destinations and previous cities

Improved Address Handling

* Previous City list increased to 10
* Addresses outside city boundaries are more easily located
* Address resolution, especially in streets where gaps exist in numbering, is improved
* General fixes, including the display of long addresses
* The country (region) name is displayed in the address entry and POI entry
* Street list display includes the City name at the bottom of the screen
* City list found by the Zip Code, now includes the state name
* Home Button can now be set to the current location or an address
* Delete function enabled for entries on Favorites list

Bluetooth button

* Bluetooth “phone" button, to disconnect call, has been added to the Map screen
* Dual volume control to enable user to set a higher volume for phone calls versus voiced routing instructions

POI Search

* Removed duplicate entries for Restaurants
* Coffee moved to top of POI list
* Search radius changed to 50 miles. If no POIs are found the radius can be expanded to 100 miles.

Traffic Events Handling (if using optional TrafficKit accessory)

* Optimized the mechanism of handling the traffic events, especially while driving on long routes

Fixes

Traffic User Interface (if using optional TrafficKit accessory)

* Improved Traffic Alert graphics, new traffic images and icon overlapping has been corrected
* Traffic Icon does not appear without a Traffic Subscription
* Expired Traffic Icons no longer appear on the map
* No reset when click on Severe Weather icon
* Removed “()" from Danger Alert

Navigation

* Route list does not reset after it is viewed
* Improved Maneuver List
* Removed line between position and destination
* Changed “You Have Arrived" timer from 30 seconds to 10 seconds
* Improved route calculations
* Eliminated unnecessary reroutes
* Reduced number of U-Turns calculated
* Removed “Ding" sound while rerouting

General Improvements

* Trip Computer UI given a new look
* Text balanced, centered and constrained throughout
* Dimmed checkboxes used on Navigation Instruction Option screen
* Spelling / grammar corrections

I WANT TO DOWNLOAD THIS UPDATE
Go to Top of Page

kodak12

2 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  16:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I upgrade 2.36 into my 3225gps?
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  17:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kodak12

Can I upgrade 2.36 into my 3225gps?

not yet.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

XrisFall

4 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  06:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for some help with my magellan 4040. When I was trying to update my 4040, I seem to have accidently wiped all the files off my magellan, and I don't have a backup file for it. The windows CE core still loads, and when I plug it into USB it recognizes it. There are folders on my magellan, but no files in them. When I try to run the 2.36 update again it tells me the battery is too low, even when the unit is plugged into the wall.
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  06:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by XrisFall

I am looking for some help with my magellan 4040. When I was trying to update my 4040, I seem to have accidently wiped all the files off my magellan, and I don't have a backup file for it. The windows CE core still loads, and when I plug it into USB it recognizes it. There are folders on my magellan, but no files in them. When I try to run the 2.36 update again it tells me the battery is too low, even when the unit is plugged into the wall.

Try charging your battery for a few hours then reset the device and try the upgrade again.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040

Edited by - yarus on 14 déc. 2007 06:21:31
Go to Top of Page

XrisFall

4 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  06:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I charged it over night, said the same thing. I left it plugged into the wall, does the same thing. One new twist I noticed, if I take the SD card out it says that it can't find a 40xx unit.
Go to Top of Page

thead

8 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  07:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I check how much memory is left in my 4040?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05