Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1953

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Magellan Roadmate and Maestro AIOs
 Unlocking the Magellan 3100
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

dgoeken

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  21:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this is the correct forum to announce this but here goes.

I have successfully hacked into my Magellan Maestro 3100. Highlights are that I have a file manager running, the media player TCPMP working, and swapped out the POI file with one with 6 million POI.

Due to the length of what I have done, I've posted my steps here:

dgoeken.com

click on the Magellan 3100 link and it will take you to the documentation on what I have done. The procedure is changing daily so I wanted it in a location where I can keep it up to date, but I wanted to get the information out quickly so others can use it and provide me some help.

The document is on a small server (hacked NSLU2) in my house and I'm not sure if it can handle the bandwidth. If too great, I'll have to move it somewhere else and the indirect link will be kept up to date.

The trick I used may be applicable to other Magellan GPS in the 3000 series, but I don’t have any others to test this theory.

I don't believe it is the 'final' hack - just a step to get to the final hack. I still have some issues to work out, but I thought the rest of the community can help get to the final solution.

I need some volunteers to check my work and give me suggestions on the next steps.

Enjoy,
Dave

Edited by - dgoeken on 08 déc. 2007 22:09:40

Ads

earthmaggot

1 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2007 :  19:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, great document. I just received one as a gift, however what I was most hoping to use it for was geocaching. Does anyone know if there is a way to add topo and coordinate functionality or software?
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2007 :  00:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've adapted your techniques to my Maestro 4040 and I observed an interesting phenomenon/bug. I would be interested to know if your 3100 does the same thing.

Start real navigator.exe from FileManCE and go to User Options --> System Settings --> Back. Clicking back arrow takes me right back to FileManCE. I can then switch task back to real navigator.exe if I want to.

yarus

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

dgoeken

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2007 :  02:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, great, glad to hear that it works on the 4040 too. The larger screen of the 4040 probably makes a nice interface. Have you added a SC card? If so, what size works with the 4040? I picked up another 2 GB SD card tonight on my way home – Circuit City, $15, SanDisk, slow but it does work. Now I have a card for additional testing.

Let me know how much free space you had on the main ‘drive’.

Did you successfully increase the POI file too? Or since the 4040 has 4.5 million POI you may not have risked it (or maybe you don't have a SD card). How about the media player TCPMP? It is very nice.

Second, yes, I have noticed that same 'feature'. It also appears completely reproducible. Even if you hit Next on the System Settings page and then the back arrow, it goes back to FileManCE. I have also noticed that sometimes, at this point if you power cycle it, I will end up in the real Navigator, but not always. Are you using ITaskMgr to switch back? On mine I've also noticed that under 'Process' the real Navigator shows up as MyNavigator; but under 'Task' it shows up as Venus2.

Do you see the same problem with not having the 'x' in the close button of the FileManCE? For me, TCPMP is missing both the '-' and the 'x', but the buttons are there. I'm thinking it has something to do with not having a desktop or a task bar.

Thanks for the info. I will add the fact that it works with the 4040 and explain this ‘feature’ in my document. I did not add it before since I was not sure if it was a universal feature (two of us now makes it universal ).

I looked at the hack methods for some of the other devices. Looks like the next thing to do is play with Regedit and see if we can find some settings that make it easier to use. Help anyone?

Thanks again for the info,
Dave

Sorry to pump you for information, but you are the first to admit to jumping in and trying this.
Go to Top of Page

jagfan

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2007 :  09:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 3200 and would like to keep the map on the main drive and just put the 6M POI file on an SD card as this unit only 1.3M POIS. Not interested in the file mgr or anything else. What steps are needed to accomplish this? I'm not tech savvy like you folks.
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  08:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, great, glad to hear that it works on the 4040 too. The larger screen of the 4040 probably makes a nice interface. Have you added a SC card? If so, what size works with the 4040? I picked up another 2 GB SD card tonight on my way home – Circuit City, $15, SanDisk, slow but it does work. Now I have a card for additional testing.

My 4040 cannot accept anything bigger than 2GB so that is what I have.

Let me know how much free space you had on the main ‘drive’.

2GB total with about 210MB free.

Did you successfully increase the POI file too? Or since the 4040 has 4.5 million POI you may not have risked it (or maybe you don't have a SD card). How about the media player TCPMP? It is very nice.

Well...I'm not really a POI fan. In fact, I could not care less for that. AAA tour book is very nice to have though. 42XXs and 32XXs have newer maps, I would even pay for that, but Magellan, for some totally stange reason does not offer any map updates or any half-way diecent PC software for 4XXX. I'm now wondering if execs of Magellan are normal sane people.

Anyway, preloaded maps on 30XX-40XX and 32XX-42XX are in different format. There is no way, for examle, to upgrade 30XX-40XX with maps from 32XX-42XX. If you do that, everything seems to work fine at first glance, but the maps are way off and zipcodes are messed up.

That said, I wonder if the kind of POI file upgrade you are talking about (if taken from 32XX series) also messes up POIs on 31XX.

When you search for costco and then browse found costco POIs do you see full address of the POI listed at the top?

Second, yes, I have noticed that same 'feature'. It also appears completely reproducible. Even if you hit Next on the System Settings page and then the back arrow, it goes back to FileManCE. I have also noticed that sometimes, at this point if you power cycle it, I will end up in the real Navigator, but not always. Are you using ITaskMgr to switch back? On mine I've also noticed that under 'Process' the real Navigator shows up as MyNavigator; but under 'Task' it shows up as Venus2.

I beleive the "system settings" window is a separate program. Try starting your device without navigator.exe present. After the warning message, "system settings" window will come up out of the blue.

When "system settings" program is running and you click "back" it tries to switch to navigator.exe which is really filemance.exe becuase real navigator.exe is now called mynavigator.exe.

This could be a real problem with this unlocking method. We need someone with WINCE programming experience to create a launcher program so we can keep the real file names intact and have a nice interface too.

One way of doing it would be to setup a donation system to buy a Maestro for the programmer who will create the launcher, but who will do that? Perhaps, this site owner would be interested in such endeavor...or its too risky?

Do you see the same problem with not having the 'x' in the close button of the FileManCE? For me, TCPMP is missing both the '-' and the 'x', but the buttons are there. I'm thinking it has something to do with not having a desktop or a task bar.

I have the same problem. TCPMP and FileManCE probably depend on some windows ce dll for those.

Thanks for the info. I will add the fact that it works with the 4040 and explain this ‘feature’ in my document. I did not add it before since I was not sure if it was a universal feature (two of us now makes it universal ).

Don't keep your hopes up... Unless there is a configurable launcher this thread will probably die off once your exitment is gone

I looked at the hack methods for some of the other devices. Looks like the next thing to do is play with Regedit and see if we can find some settings that make it easier to use. Help anyone?

Try to export entire registry to a file. I tried, but could not find where it saved it. Maybe you have more luck.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  09:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You also maybe interested to know that 4040's us48_poi.poi file is 308MB. However, 5250's is only 197MB. There is some major optimization there.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  22:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
A little more progress... Found the hidden menu.

It's the same as in the others. Go to System, at the top of the System screen, do the - - + + - + tap sequence where - is the top left corner of the screen and + is the top right corner of the screen just left of the X. Hidden Menu will be displayed. Sometimes anyway - it's a little picky - if not, then exit that screen, reenter and try it again. You won't hear the standard touch sound when you do the above.

Check this out. It also works on my 4040.

Found it here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=88705

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  22:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it a good idea to rename this thread to Unlocking the Magellan Maestro series. We can attract more people this way and because we can confirm that it works across maestro series it is also true.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040

Edited by - yarus on 12 déc. 2007 23:00:12
Go to Top of Page

jagfan

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  03:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jagfan

I have a 3200 and would like to keep the map on the main drive and just put the 6M POI file on an SD card as this unit only 1.3M POIS. Not interested in the file mgr or anything else. What steps are needed to accomplish this? I'm not tech savvy like you folks.

For all you 3200 owners out there, I was successful in modifying the files so that the map is on the 3200 and the 6M POI file is on the SD card. Without the SD card, the unit WILL map but fail in doing POIs. With the SD card, the unit will BOTH map and do POIs.
Go to Top of Page

dgoeken

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  04:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yarus
I had seen the -- ++ hack and tried it on my 3100 but did not get it to work. I'm not sure which is the 'System' screen. What does your 'System screen look like?
Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  04:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dgoeken

yarus
I had seen the -- ++ hack and tried it on my 3100 but did not get it to work. I'm not sure which is the 'System' screen. What does your 'System screen look like?

user options --> system settings. Worked like a charm on my 4040.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

dgoeken

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  05:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, got to options -->systems settings; each time it takes me over 5 attempts, but I can get it. So it's included on the 3100. You know what you can do from the hidden menu? I'll have to look at the other thread again.
Go to Top of Page

dgoeken

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  06:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you search for costco and then browse found costco POIs do you see full address of the POI listed at the top?

Yes, full address, direction, distance, and phone number.

I beleive the "system settings" window is a separate program.
When "system settings" program is running and you click "back" it tries to switch to navigator.exe which is really filemance.exe becuase real navigator.exe is now called mynavigator.exe.

Agree.

This could be a real problem with this unlocking method. We need someone with WINCE programming experience to create a launcher program so we can keep the real file names intact and have a nice interface too.

Agree.

I have the same problem. TCPMP and FileManCE probably depend on some windows ce dll for those.

Or maybe a font – looks my 3100 only has one font loaded – Tahoma – only selection in FileManager / Tools / Customize / Miscellaneous tab

Try to export entire registry to a file. I tried, but could not find where it saved it. Maybe you have more luck.

Same problem here, probably is trying to save it in a subdirectory that does not exist.

I was just able to get to the other reset menu, took a few tries, holding the reset while powering it on.

Go to Top of Page

yarus

Zimbabwe
49 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  07:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

each time it takes me over 5 attempts, but I can get it.

Problems with hand-to-eye coordination?

quote:

You know what you can do from the hidden menu?

nothing useful. I can switch to activesync, but PC app still does not see the device.

Yarus
---------
Magellan Maestro 4040
Go to Top of Page

M2Launch

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  09:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i have a Maestro 3140 that i picked up earlier this week i was successful in changing the splash screen to an alternate image i intend to install the file manager, task manager, and media player in due time however i'm running on like 2 hours of sleep so i will continue to play and update on my progress, also i've been chatting with friends of mine and we might have a programmer on board to code a launcher interface.

anywho off to bed ... maybe im super excited about making this unit much more than magellan intended

I used to hate weddings; all the Grandmas would poke me and say, "You're next sonny!" They stopped doing that when i started to do it to them at funerals.

-M2
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05