Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2275

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Garmin SiRFIII - Type G v3.0 Update = FW 3.2.5
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  17:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 60Csx has SiRF so I did already know that Garmin named it "Type G" for some strange reason.

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"

Edited by - jotne on 02 déc. 2007 17:43:30
Go to Top of Page

Al89

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  19:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm mystified by this thread - can someone help? This seems to be an update for the 250 which gives it what 3xx and others had already? So what's the big deal?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  19:57:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's to be mystified about? If you've done the update can you check to see if you have an .rgn file on your unit so we can try to figure out what SiRFIII firmware version they've rolled out, see my comments on the previous page.

UPDATE #1 - Realized I still had a nüvi 200 around, so I went ahead and did the upgrade to v3.50 first and then got the option to download the "Type G" firmware, and I found that the SiRF firmware is GSW3.2.5GARMIN_3.3.01.06-SDK001P1.0 - the first time I've seen a 3.2.5 generation, added here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27925

UPDATE #2 - The webupdater also found a v3.0 update for the Garmin 60CSx. It's likely all the SiRFstarIII based Garmin GPS systems are having that v3.2.5 firmware update rolled out. I'll rename the thread ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

VeeTee

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be clear on this, when we look at the under system "about" on the Nuvi itself, even though it is GSW3.3.5, all we will see is "GPS SW Version 3.00" ?

Nuvi 650 (SW 4.30; GPS SW 3.00) , GPSmap 60CSx (SW 3.50; GPS SW 3.00), GPS III Plus
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:06:46  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually 3.2.5 but yes the internal SiRF rev is not shown, it seems Garmin is trying to "hide" them, like calling it "chipset type G" ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Al89

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's there to be mystified about?

The thread is titled about the 250 but another poster says the update applies to all Nuvi units.

I have a 370. Garmin's updater says no need to update and their support page says the last update for the 370 was 2 May 2007. My 370 appears to have the update already anyway- the updater say it has Type G chipset - and I bought it back in July.

So what's the big deal here about an "update" to "all units" which doesn't seem to be an update at all?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:26:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You've lost me...anyway, while the details are not yet known, SiRF firmware upgrades happen once a year so they're an "event" of sorts.

Now if anyone has a SiRFstar III based Garmin that isn't already running v3.00 and isn't getting the option to download an update it would be interesting to know. Might be your case but since you don't give your current GPS version it's hard to tell.

Go to Top of Page

Al89

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you me.

Current GPS SW version is 2.90 according to my unit. According to Updater, there is no update for the 370 to 3.00 - in the sense that nothing is prompted. The updater if I move through the menus tells me I have Type G.

But I thought the point of the updater was to update? You're telling me that I can't rely on it?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:44:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that must mean Garmin haven't rolled out the new firmware for the 370 then, what else ? I'll check on my old 300 later.

"The updater if I move through the menus tells me I have Type G." which menus ? Can you make a screenshot ?

Go to Top of Page

BAVC10

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  00:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran Webupdater on my Nuvi 660 tonight and wasn't offered an update. Is anyone able to post a link please?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

tunafish

112 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Type G chipset' refers to the basic software for the SiRF chipset on all nuvi units using SirF chips. The most recent version should be 3.0. Unlcear why some nuvis get the update but not others. My old nuvi 350 got updated to 3.0. My new nuvi 350 came w/ 3.0 so no update done.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:08:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, again, "Type G chipset" can only refer to a chipset, not to software, so in this case, "Type G chipset" = "SiRFstarIII chipset"..."Type S" would have made more sense, probably the original code name. And for a chipset you use the term firmware rather than software, as for a motherboard.

Go to Top of Page

Xring

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  04:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BAVC10

I ran Webupdater on my Nuvi 660 tonight and wasn't offered an update. Is anyone able to post a link please?

thanks

When I ran Updater on my Nuvi 200, I wasn't offered any new updates.
But, when I looked at the language list, I saw the new update
at the top of the list. I selected it and it loaded.

Cheers,
Rich
Go to Top of Page

Al89

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  10:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Rich, when I run updater I am not offered any firmware updates for the 370; however, if I then look at the updates for vehicles, I see "Chipset Type G" above them. I was assuming I had it already, since it was not offered, but now I wonder (If Type G = SW ver 3.00?)

All very muddlesome for the ignorant
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  10:05:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you need to check that box and let it download the update for you and then install it. The first WebUpdater screen is for the "main software" updates and the second one is for "additional software" (GPS, TMC firmwares, voices, arrows, etc...).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,99 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05