Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 "All in One" Navigation Systems
 [TOPIC] Navigon 2100 Skin Exchange
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Fredvs79

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2007 :  21:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey peeps...

So the worst things about the 2100 according to CNET reviewers were that the fonts were too small, the system lags, and the routes were funny. They concluded that for the price you could get a better system.

Well first of all, those of us that jumped on a BF sale have gotten one at a much improved price. Second of all, with access to routing code in the applicationsettings.xml file, we can tweak the routing, and people like Justin have really helped the functionality of the unit. It was also said that if you turn off the menu animations, the system runs faster, with less lag. In fact, when entering the information to register for POI-Warner on the low-graphic micro-keyboard, there was no lag at all. I think the lag has to do with all the graphics that the system has to pull out of the MN6resourcebinary.res file.

Speaking of the resource binary file...

The Germans over on pocketnavigation.de have figured out how to extract the images from the resource binary file using a utility called MN6ResourceView. I'd like to be able to have GPSpassion host this file for us, since it is pretty useful. You can edit all the image files MN6 uses, so you can i) get rid of all the grey shades, ii) make the option buttons transparent on the map screen, iii) change the animations, iv) edit the fonts shown for speed/distance/time of arrival/elevation, etc.. With all these options to edit, small fonts should be a problem of the past.

I wonder what the reviewers would think of our $100 fully modified GPS units then?

...OH, so the point of this thread is that I'm starting to work on some new skins for the 2100. I'd like to share it with you guys, but I don't have anywhere to host it.

------ EDIT ------

Here are the links to what you will need to make your own:

1) ResourceView - used to extract/build .res files
http://gpspassion.com/upload/MN6ResourceView.0.2.2.zip

2) PNGoutWin - this is used to optimize your PNG files so MN|6 runs faster. You need to optimize before you put them back into a .res file. The trial version of this software only does a 20-file batch job at a time... with over 600 image files, I encourage you to purchase their software, not skip this step.
http://www.ardfry.com/pngoutwin/

If there is enough interest in this, and lots of us start making skins, I think a good idea would be to follow the lead of pocketnavigation.de and have this thread for questions/answers, etc., and we can start another thread for "Final Version of Skins", which just contains a simple post with some pictures and a link to the file.

Navigon 2100 w/ Traffic & Zagat activated, full N America maps, working on cracking the POI files.

Edited by - Fredvs79 on 01 déc. 2007 14:54:24

Ads

osidak

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2007 :  21:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great would love to see what you come up with

Garmin GPS V - Lost in the clutter / Mio c310x - Claimed by wife / Navigon 7100 - Sold / TT Go 720
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  01:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would love to get my hands on the MN6ResourceView file, I was thining of trying to open the resource file with MS Visual Studio to see what I could do with it. Would love to create a new "skin" for the 2100 ... they shades of gray are rather bland.
Go to Top of Page

Fredvs79

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  02:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok folks, here's some stuff for you to play with.

I made some alterations to the default skin. This isn't anything new, they're doing it to the Navigons across the pond, and you can pick up any number of new skins on the German's sight. But here's my take on one. It's mostly a revamp of the colors in the current skin with a replacement of the grey tones to some blue ones. I also made some of the info panels and buttons on the map screen semi-transparent so you can see more of the map.
I optimized the .png image files with PNGOUTWIN before putting them back into the resource file. The compression saves space and should speed things up a tad (I hope), if not at least keep it on par with the factory theme.
To use the new theme, you will need to replace your /MN6/MN6ResourceBinary.res file on your SD card. Be sure to back up your original first, yadda yadda...

The file is located here:
http://gpspassion.com/upload/2100_res_bin-big_icon_Blue_Transparent.zip

This is a first work for me, so if you want to request a change, let me know. If you want to make your own or modify mine, that's cool too. Let's see what you come up with.

------- EDIT -------

I just noticed there are some errors (2-D map mode is missing the 'take me to the destination' icon, and the pan/zoom box look like they are selected at the same time.) Also, the three shortcut POI grey icons on the main screen's 'New Destination' screen are a little washed out. I'll have to fix these things and re-up the file.

Navigon 2100 w/ Traffic & Zagat activated, full N America maps, working on cracking the POI files.

Edited by - Fredvs79 on 01 déc. 2007 14:55:38
Go to Top of Page

Hawk600

11 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  04:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fredvs79

Ok folks, here's some stuff for you to play with....

Thank you Fredvs79,
That is a nice mod and the GPS looks more responsive!
Keep doing the good job!

Edited by - Hawk600 on 01 déc. 2007 04:49:02
Go to Top of Page

wolf1306

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  05:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great job man , keep it up and with more pics too if u can

navigon 2100 - navigon 7200t - magellan 4040
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  08:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet! Nice job Fred! Now if I can only figure out how you did it. :-)
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  09:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Downloaded that file and started working on my own edits. Like Fred, I chose blue (is that a guy thing?) Below is a picture of my blue "main menu."

When the Navigon starts up, I made its symbol icon blue. But then I noticed that on my blue backgrounds it would be hard to see, so for the smaller icon that you get when you have to wait I made it red. If you look close in the next photo you can see it, it was in the middle of a spin.

Here's my destination entry screen. I tried not to change everything to blue, there would be no contrast and everything would blend in. But I do like the way the blue shows up between the keys of the alphabet.

Here's is my map screen. Not much changed there except the blue buttons at the bottom.

I had a hard time seeing the battery icon so I made it larger and colored it. I also colored the GPS icon so its red when not connected but green when it is ... I think Fred did that too.

Thanks tons, Fred, for tipping us all off to that file. I encourage other people to try this, its not that hard to do.
Go to Top of Page

Fredvs79

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  13:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My camera is out for repair, and at the moment I only have a camera on my phone, which doesn't take the best photos.

Thanks to NeitherFanBoy for his photos showing what can be done. Also, you can find some info on the pocketnavigation.de sight, which is where I got turned onto this.

Just go here and scroll down, you don't need to read German to see pictures. And links are provided for all files there which should work with the Navigon PNAs. (Most of their pictures were screen captures from PDA's, hence the high resolution, and the vertical orientation)
http://forum.pocketnavigation.de/tid1063004-sid.htm

Also, I encourage anyone who does this to use PNGOUTWIN first on the png files they create BEFORE putting them back into the resource file. It DOES make a difference.

http://www.ardfry.com/pngoutwin/

Another thing that makes a difference is removing some of the unneccessary files that will never get used by the 2100/5100, like all those European maps, and the config info for the different resolutions, and the duplicate sound files. I was able to shrink the resource file down from 2.13MB to 1.52MB.

Edited by - Fredvs79 on 01 déc. 2007 13:54:53
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  13:56:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good idea to start this topic, I renamed it and linked it from the Index, can you add the links to your skin and MN|6 ressource in the first message so they are easier to find ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

wolf1306

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  16:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great man again, hope alot of us would create some great skins so we can use them

Go to Top of Page

Fredvs79

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  20:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf,
the skin you requested can be found here, at

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/2110BigIconMN6ResourcesBinary.rar

Fred

Go to Top of Page

wolf1306

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  22:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i put the skin that i requested in the mn6 folder and i restart navigon , it gets stuck at the welcome screen , any ideas

Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  22:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fredvs79 is right about optimizing the png's. I used PNGOut as he recommends, and the png's I edited were compressed by 34% -- saving space on the SD card is definitely a good thing. Thanks to Fred for all the tips and tricks!
Go to Top of Page

MPBsr25

175 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  22:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fredvs79

Wolf,
the skin you requested can be found here, at

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/2110BigIconMN6ResourcesBinary.rar

Fred

Anyway of seeing what the skins look like?

Edited by - MPBsr25 on 01 déc. 2007 22:25:04
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  00:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wolf1306

when i put the skin that i requested in the mn6 folder and i restart navigon , it gets stuck at the welcome screen , any ideas

same thing happened to me ! it got stuck on the welcome screen .. how come ???
Go to Top of Page

diaz425

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  01:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can some1 put a car instead of the 3d arrow?

Own - Nuvi 1390
Own - Nuvi 855

Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  02:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to ask the obvious, but you did extract the res file from the rar, didn't you? The 2100 hangs at the welcome screen if it can't find MN6ResourcesBinary.res ... so if you just dragged the MN6ResourcesBinary.rar file to the 2100 it would hang. (But you probably already knew that).
Go to Top of Page

wolf1306

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  02:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i did and it got stuck

Go to Top of Page

ramanaindia

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  03:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diaz425

can some1 put a car instead of the 3d arrow?

I got a set of car pngs how do I upload them ?

regards
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  04:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted a response earlier, but don't see it? My question was, are you copying the file directly to your Navigon as a "rar" file? I know this might be a dumb question to ask and you probably already know, but the file is a "res" file that has been compressed to "rar," so it would have to be decompressed first. The error you are getting, being stuck on the Welcome screen, happens if the "res" file cannot be found or read.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  04:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH SWIFT, now it shows up. Sorry for repeating myself. Would love to see the car png's ramanaindia ... I would add them to my skin.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  05:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I do this right, and you want to try another res file, this is the "skin" I edited (as shown in the photos posted). Make a backup copy of your existing file, then copy this one to the \MN6 directory.

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/MN6ResourcesBinary.zip

If I can find suitable car PNG's, I want to replace the arrow with a car ... maybe only in the 3d view versus the 2d view.
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  09:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NeitherFanboy, I wanted to try and tweak the file, but where or how do you start modifying it?
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  10:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how I did it. I loaded up that ResourceView program and ran it. I copied my MN6ResourceBinary.res file from the SD card to the hard drive of the laptop and then hit Load in the ResourceView program and browsed to the file. Then I click on the images file in the tree-view pane on the left and click Export -- I exported the file to the desktop for ease in finding it, but you can put it anywhere you like. Then I could browse each of the images in the file with my favorite image editor. When I had finished editing them, I ran them through PNGOut to optimize them, it makes them smaller.

Then came the tricky part. I never saw any way to "import" my files, which is what I thought I should do. Instead, I just selected all my edited files and then dragged them over and dropped them on the directory in the Resourceview window. To be exact, the images I edited were in the path of images\lowres\apollonlandscape -- so when I had finished editing & optimizing them, I dragged all of them to that same director and dropped them right on the word apollonlandscape -- when you do you will notice a little icon pop up in the corner of each of the edited images in the list. Then I clicked save to save the modified resource file. Dragged the file from my desktop back to the MN6 directory on the 2100, and then poked the reset button. (Sounds like a lot of work when you type it out, but it goes easier than it writes here).

Tonight, just for the fun of it, I changed the Intro photo but managed to keep the Navigon sybol in the correct spot on my image sso that when it starts to spin, it spins in that exact spot, doesn't jump higher or lower on the screen.

Still have not found an suitable car png to use for the arrow in 3D mode. In 2d mode you have SO MANY arrows to replace, I think I'd stick to 3d.

Let everyone know how your edits go, would love to see what you put together when you are done.
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  16:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodbadmas

quote:
Originally posted by wolf1306

same thing happened to me ! it got stuck on the welcome screen .. how come ???

ok, i tried again this time with the new file posted above and it worked fine :) Thanks !!!
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  16:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey NFB,
This is addy. I am having hard time finding those car's png too.
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  17:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NeitherFanboy thank you!
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  20:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey alkeshtech, I think I am going to make my own today. Was thinking about it last night. If I get something green ... some type of cheap green fabric at the craft store ... then I need a good toy car ... Hot Wheels, a good car replica ... then I can shoot my own from the correct angle, then remove all the green and save the resulting file as a png. I know this will make me King of the Techno Nerds, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Glad you got it going, goodbamas.

Balistc, would love to see what you come up with when you are done, if you are willing to share.
Go to Top of Page

rccrashing

20 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  20:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings all... I want to thank all you guys that have made the 2100 more accurate and customizable!!!!!

Hey NeitherFanboy... Could you please list what files need to be edited to change the arrow in 2d and 3d.... I used MN6ResourceView and in the images\lowres\apollonlandscape folder, but I do not see the appropriate file(s) to change....

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The arrows you need live in a different spot. You can find them at \mn6\settings\data\qvga_apollon_landscape
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and you will notice there are 24 arrows you need to redo for the 2d view, one arrow for each orientation around the dial -- which is why I am going to concentrate on the 3d image where there is only one. Otherwise I have to photograph and photoshop my car image in 24 separate orientations! (Oh heck, you know once I get started I'll probably do them too). I need to find a Hot Wheels version of a BMW 325i. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Kilarney

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a techie at all.

If there is something the 2100 is screaming for, it's changing the GPS and traffic signal icons so they show red and green.

Can anyone, for us newbies, post a guide on how to do this? I get what you're saying, but it's going over my head somewhat.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally, I made mine, but guess what for now I am screwed. Let me explain.
Here what my intro looks like before the orange arrow shows up(the one which keeps on spinning):
[/URL]
So far AWESOME.
Now, this is the way it was supposed to look like when the arrows starts making 360degree turn:
[/URL]
Notice how the background looks with arrow.
So far it was supposed to be MARVELOUS.

So, I went ahead and made the .res file(turned out to be 2.8MB, oh well!). Looked fine until the damn arrow showed up.
This is way it looks like on 2100:

How can I get rid of the black square around the arrow?
We didn't notice this with default .res file because the background was made black to blend in.

Help Guys, please!!

Edited by - alkeshtech on 02 déc. 2007 21:46:54
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The final screen shot in in orange, it looks just the same with gray too.

Here is the link to the file, if anyone wants to try it out to make comments on the changes that are made(I have only changed the intro. If I manage to get rid of the black square I will go ahead and make it with probably grass like green color.)
http://rapidshare.com/files/73859478/MN6ResourcesBinary.res.html

Comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by - alkeshtech on 02 déc. 2007 21:45:04
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kilarney:

All the graphics you want live in a resource file called MN6ResourcesBinary.res -- You have to use the MN6ResourcesViewer program to open that file so you can see the individual icons. Once you do, you export the images file so you can edit the ones you like. Once you have exported the images folder, you can find the GPS icon displayed at the top of the screen when connect by this path: images\lowres\ApollonLandscape\icon_status-gps-on.png -- open that png with an image editor and color it. Once you are done, you need to get that modified graphic back into the resource file. I optimize mine first using PNGOut because it makes them smaller in size. Then you drag the modified file back into the tree view in MN6ResourcesView and drop it on the images directory, then save the MN6ResourcesBinary.res file. If anyone needs them, I can post screenshots of the MN6REsourcesView program with the correct directory shown.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alkeshtech - I had the exact same problem when I did mine, and ended up changing my background graphic to something that had black where the Navigon icon was. What you need to change is: intro_ani_cursor_bkg.png -- which is a black background that the Navigon layers under the symbol. Maybe if you made it completely transparent that would work?
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, missed that part of your post, if you made intro_ani_cursor_bkg.png green like the grass, then maybe it would blend in?
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any ideas on how to make it transparent?
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOPS, looked again, where the graphic spins is sky and clouds, correct? You would need to sample the exact part of the sky where the background will be and change intro_ani_cursor_bkg.png to match that section.
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have to make to look like clouds as it's on top left.
I am gonna try deleting that file and see if it works without the intro black or not.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my Navigon startup screen:

Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  21:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks nice, man.
It does work without the intro black backgroud file, but now the problem is shadow. The shadows leaves the mark over the image and makes a diamond shaped black. Ohhhhhhhhhhh!
If no one else knows this, I am gonna have to go with the black theme too.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your only solution, and is a difficult one, is to copy the exact are of your image where the black background will appear, then paste it into the background so that the background under the symbol matches your image. I came to that conclusion last night, when I had another image up, and was too tired to attempt it, so I just switched to this one because its background was already black! The lazy man's solution. I'm off for a little while, I'm going Hot Wheels shopping.
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeitherFanboy

I think your only solution, and is a difficult one, is to copy the exact are of your image where the black background will appear, then paste it into the background so that the background under the symbol matches your image. I came to that conclusion last night, when I had another image up, and was too tired to attempt it, so I just switched to this one because its background was already black! The lazy man's solution. I'm off for a little while, I'm going Hot Wheels shopping.

Better pick up a good one.

I tried making a transparent one, but the real problem is the shadow now. That's why navigon picked up a black theme. I think I am gonna go with the lazy solution too.

Edited by - alkeshtech on 02 déc. 2007 22:44:01
Go to Top of Page

rccrashing

20 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  22:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey NeitherFanboy... Thanks for the assistance. I see what you mean about all icons that would need to be edited for the 2d mode vs. the 3d mode..... hmmm....
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  23:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back in, picked up my little model car for photographing and replacing my pointer. WHAT A HOOT! I'm not going to tell which one I got yet, as soon as I get it done I'll post a pic. If it comes out like I hope, you'll laugh your fanny off! rccrashing -- yes, one little arrow for each slight turn all the way round the dial! Thats an awful lot of photoshoping of my car. Think I will concentrate on the 3d first and see how that goes -- if I get energetic I will edit the 2d's also, but will have to shoot this car in 24 positions and the photoshop all of them!
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2007 :  23:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and on my opening screen, I colored the letters of "Navigon" blue one by one, so that when it comes up they are white, then they sweep to blue, an then symbol starts spinning. Gonna replace the sound it plays too. This is fun.
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  00:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey in the mean time i got another question ... i read that for traffic info its built in the charger .. so does that mean we have to have our charger always connected to the navigon unit to get traffic alerts ?? sorry this is off topic but was curious !!

thanks,
goodbadmas
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  00:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's been some discussion in the review forum about the traffic needing the power cable, and the manual gives what sounds like contradictory info:

Note: The charger cable does not need to be connected to the vehicle's cigarette lighter for the antenna to be operational.
Note: Without the antenna, TMC messages may not be received when the device is operating on battery power only.

So I'm not sure. I think it might be saying that as long as the power cable is plugged into the 2100 it acts as an antenna, even if not plugged into power. All I know is I have never gotten any traffic alert info unless I was plugged into the charger.

SO, I got my Car PNG done. This is what it looks like on the screen:

Can you tell what it is? Its Speed Racer's Mach 5. Totally cracked me up when I saw it at the toy store. And with its pointy nose, I figured it made a good directional arrow. If anyone wants this PND, you can get it here: -- then just put it in the MN6\Settings\Data\QVGA_Apollon_Landscape directory to use it.

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/Car_3D.zip
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  00:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that car looks nice man .... i like it.....dont you think it blends in the blue color a little ???

i didn't look at it on the navigon screen yet ... besides the pic you posted .... it may look different on navigon ... i may be wrong ...
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could change its color if you think a different color would give better contrast?
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will check it out on the navigon and let u know !!! ... thanks !
Go to Top of Page

MPBsr25

175 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could change its color if you think a different color would give better contrast?

How about red?

Once you put it in the directory, will it default to the car?

Thanks

Edited by - MPBsr25 on 03 déc. 2007 01:20:13
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it will default to the car for the 3D view, as long as the image is named Car_3D.png -- working on colors. One moment.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Okay, what do you think? I'm rather partial to the yellow one, but I haven't tried it on the Navigon yet.
Go to Top of Page

Supremo

USA
2031 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In answer to the question about getting Traffic Info w/o the car charger connected, the answer is yes, you can. Apparently I live in a "strong signal" area and have received traffic info w/o the car charger connected. This indicates that the USB/charger simply acts as a wire antenna to aid reception.

Moderator ... MIO, AIO Forums
Mio C310x,C520, Moov 300, Navigon 2100, Rightway GPS (various)
"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day- Teach a man to fish and he eats for life"
Go to Top of Page

MPBsr25

175 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, what do you think? I'm rather partial to the yellow one, but I haven't tried it on the Navigon yet.

Red, red, red...Did I say red. Any chance of a red Mustang???

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  01:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clarification, Supremo. I must be in a low signal area.
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  02:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,
Looks cool man. About the problem that I was having, I think I am just going to replace the big arrow with something cool with transparency. Any ideas on what should I make spin? I was thinking among spinning earth, flashing car, or windows xp like startup.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  03:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suppose you could "spin" about anything, as long as you had 6 shots in different positions, then named them the same as the original files so the Navigon would use them. I thought about trying to spin the car image around, but I would have to take the required angles to do it. Let me know what you decide to spin, pics if possible.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  03:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, the 2D car rotation was not as hard as I had thought. I took one shot from the top down, car pointing up, which is called Car_00.png ... then each subsequent file name tells you how far to rotate the original image, like Car_15.png is rotated 15 degrees ... so all I had to do was rotate the original image and then save it with the correct name. I now have all of my 2D images changed to the Mach 5. Still in white, will try it a while and then see if I want to change its color. Still trying to decide which color would work best against the backgrounds. Sometimes you pass water, and its blue, so maybe not a blue car? Then sometimes you pass parkland and its gree, so maybe not a green car either? Red might work. Or some type of gold color similar to what the arrows were?
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  03:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MPBsr25 -- missed your earlier post. If I can find a good red Mustang Hot Wheel I can photograph it and rotate it through its positions ... but you can do it yourself as well -- don't want it to sound like I am the only one that can manage it. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

MPBsr25

175 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  04:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

MPBsr25 -- missed your earlier post. If I can find a good red Mustang Hot Wheel I can photograph it and rotate it through its positions ... but you can do it yourself as well -- don't want it to sound like I am the only one that can manage it. Cheers!

Wish I had the knowledge, but I guess I can learn.
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  05:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's simple.
1. Extract the files from your .res file using RE.exe
2. Go to images\lowres\ApollonLandscape folder of your extraction.
3. Browse through and look for the file, you want to modify.(Keep the resolution in mind.
4. Copy that file to a temp folder, and edit(Colorize or whatever you need to) in you favorite image editing software.
5. Copy modified image into the original directory.
6. Use RE.exe again to create a new .res file.

I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

diaz425

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  07:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
i did some changes now how do i convert the list file to res

Own - Nuvi 1390
Own - Nuvi 855

Edited by - diaz425 on 03 déc. 2007 07:58:03
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  09:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
diaz425 -- with MN6ResourcesView open (and your resource file already loaded) highlight your edited images, then drag them to the folder they belong to in the tree view of MN6ResourcesView ... most likely you will drop them on images\lowres\apollonlandscape -- once you have dropped them there, save the resource file and copy it to your Navigon.
Go to Top of Page

diaz425

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  09:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NeitherFanboy

i am trying to open mn6resourceview but it keeps saying "application error" "the application failed to initialize properly". i already downloaded the program several times, am i doing something wrong?
(i'm a newby)

Own - Nuvi 1390
Own - Nuvi 855

Go to Top of Page

unrequited

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  09:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I'm updating the intro animation, it's giving me the animation cleanly, then on the last frame, the entire screen turns "weird" (like the last frame's corrupted or something). It's not. Eventually the OS loads and you can't see it, but it's irking me. I ran everything through PNGOUTwin and all the filesizes are near the same size as the old menus. Any tips?
Go to Top of Page

unrequited

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  09:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nm, I fixed it somehow... instead of using an indexed color palette, I just saved it as 8-bit and let the PNGOUTwin compress it anyways. Movie works wonderfully.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  10:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
diaz425 ... not sure what's happening on your PC. Dumb question, have you tried rebooting the PC, full power off and then wait, then back on?? Then try launching it again. Sorry I am not more help.

unrequited -- glad you got your intro fixed. More fun when they have been "personalized," huh?
Go to Top of Page

unrequited

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  12:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah... I'll put it up when I'm done.
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  13:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmm lots of nice colors you have there NeitherFanboy, but i dont know.. now its confusing ! lolz .. yeah lets see how red looks like .. i was thinking there might be a reason why they used gold kind of color on their original pointer ... but hey .. if there are no shades or red in the map then we can use that ... what do u say ?? personally i like all of those colors that u have in the image of the car .... ... now lets see how that mustang comes !!
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  13:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know .. i was thinking .. i drive a Toyota Prius ... .. may be I should put a picture of Prius in there .. its Light Blue color !! . .. i can do that light blue color with black outlines .. but i dont have photoshop :( ... that may be hot .... my own car ... woo hoo baby !! ... hey NeitherFanboy is there a way you can do that for me Please ?? this is what my car looks like !

http://www.toyota.com/prius/ext_large.html?page=page8
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  16:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
goodbadmas -- I will look for a suitable Prius image and see what I can do. So far I have stayed with the White version of the Mach 5 for my pointer, but I did edit it to change its outline from grey to black so that it would stand out a little better from the map. I'll test that for a while and see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  16:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kool Thanks a lot NeitherFanboy .. yeah i think changing the outline would make a huge difference .. do you have any image of that on your navigon that you can post, for us to see ??
thanks a lot again man !
Go to Top of Page

rccrashing

20 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  20:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now as we get fancier on changing the icons, I'm wondering if this eats of resources... in particular, does it use up more processing power if we change it to a spinning image....

On a different note, does anyone know of a way to stop the 2100 from trying to autofill when we are entering data...? (I think this may be a partial cause for why it seems to pause/hesitate when entering letter/numbers...)
Go to Top of Page

Fredvs79

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  22:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen anything in the options of the Navigon, nor the other files on autofill. I doubt it can be turned off, and is a function of MN6 - but I think you're right, it is a partial reason why it is slow on the entry.

As for using up resources, after running PNGoutWin, the pictures are usually optimized beyond what the factory supplied, and I have noticed a slight performance gain. By removing unnecessary stuff in the resource file, it is in fact smaller, also, so that helps with a slight gain in performance.

Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  23:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was afraid to say I had noticed a performance increase in case it was just wishful thinking on my part, but I do think it is slightly faster now. I ran every PNG in the apollonlandscape subdirectory through PNGOutWin (not just the ones I had edited) and I turned off menu animations. The only place I can really notice a lag is on text entry as it tries to lookup all the cities or streets as I type. Other than that, its totally liveable. I'd turn off the auto-lookup if I could, but I don't think its possible, by validating your entry to known streets/cities etc. it prevents you from trying to navigate to a street that is not on your current map.
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  01:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey NeitherFanboy .. did you get anywhere with the Prius ?? just curious ;) ... no hurry !! ....
Go to Top of Page

MPBsr25

175 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  02:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

hey NeitherFanboy .. did you get anywhere with the Prius ?? just curious ;) ... no hurry !! ....

Prius??? We don't need no Prius. We need a Mustang...LOL
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  03:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not yet, although I have looked at quite a few images. Tried red mustangs too. You would be surprised at how hard it is to find a picture of a car taken from directly behind the car, but up in the air about 6-8 feet ... which is what you need for the 3D pointer. I guess very few people put a ladder behind their car, then climb up and shoot down at an angle. Why is that? I the other image you need is just as hard to find, one taken from up above looking straight down on the roof of the car. Nobody takes that shot either! Don't they realize there are people out there who need these photos as GPS pointers? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

MPBsr25

175 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  03:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need to quote when text is in previous post- thanks

I'll try to take a few pics of my 2003 Red Mustang Convertible over the weekend. I'm sure I can get one from behind on a ladder, but no way right over the car.

If you know, just give me some details...6-8 feet up in the air. How far from behind the car. Does it really need to be clean? (dirty right now as it's away for the winter).

Edited by - Supremo on 04 déc. 2007 04:13:16
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  04:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MPBsr25 -- doesn't need to be clean, photoshop can clean it! I am actually not sure of the exact angle for the shot, you will have to eyeball it through the viewfinder and then imagine it in relation to the angle you see on the 3D arrow. Turning the photo into a good PNG will be harder with a real car thant with the toy one because you have to mask out everything but the car, but its doable (with the toy car, I put it on a black background so I could mask out all the black and just leave the white/red car). If you only do a shot for the 3D pointer, you see that most of the time (like during Navigation) but when you plan the route intially you see the arrow until you hit "Start Navigation" as the 2100 uses Car_00.png for that function.
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  13:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MPBsr25

quote:

Prius??? We don't need no Prius. We need a Mustang...LOL

hey man, i want the Prius cos I drive one and I love it.... may be you should go give it a test drive and see why I love my car. .. anyway ... maybe you dont need prius cos you drive Mustang may be !!
Go to Top of Page

MPBsr25

175 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  13:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as the weather is decent (NJ), I'll take a number of shots from different angles.
Go to Top of Page

mwsku83

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  17:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who actually like (or even just tolerate) the default skin, I've made some improvements to it.

Most noticeably, all information boxes and buttons displayed on the map screen have been made semi-transparent. This allows you to see more of the map when planning routes or during navigation. Also, the battery icons have been colorized (green, yellow, red depending on level), as well as the GPS icon and TMC icon (both green when active).

Other than that, everything will look the same. I liked the original design (I'm one of the few I guess), but I wanted to be able to see more of the map with all the info on the screen. If anyone has the same thoughts, go ahead and download the res file here:

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/2100_Transparency.zip

Matt
Go to Top of Page

wolf1306

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  21:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great skin , original , yet transparent :) , thanks alot , now if anyone cast make the blue skin transparent then we are all set, and please post pics , not for me , but for everyone, of ur final product

Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  22:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i agree with wolf1306 .... blue transparent skin would be nice ...
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  23:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jinx! Working on that now. I really liked Matt's transparent buttons, but I really dislike all the grey (or is that gray) so I used his resource file as a base and have been on blue tinting. If someone else gets one posted first, rock on. If nobody does, I'll post a few screen shots and the file when I am done with it. Thanks Matt.

-- Looking at Matt's again (I have 3 SDs, the original, my previous edits and now Matt's so I can swap them and try each of them) and I have to give you kudo's Matt, I like the transparent buttons, I'm keeping those!

Edited by - NeitherFanboy on 04 déc. 2007 23:47:25
Go to Top of Page

goodbadmas

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2007 :  23:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kool Thanks Matt .... looks like you are really having fun with this stuff ... wish i had photoshop to do all this too !
Go to Top of Page

rccrashing

20 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  01:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what files (and where are the files located) to change the startup tune....? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  01:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here are the edits/screen shots -- it includes some of my changes and some of Matt's. You can download it and use it, download it and edit it, or if you are not comfortable editing it, make suggestions and someone else will run with them I'm sure.

Here is the first screen. Pay no attention to the small green square in the left of the screen, that is POI-Warner runing on my 2100. Note Matt's edit to the battery icon and the GPS icon (being green when connected rather than grey).

Here is the destination entry screen. Note that my "arrow in a circle" icons are green -- green for go.

Here is the screen when the unit has calculated the route. Notice the green "arrow in a circle icon" again. Matt's transparent buttons are there, lightly tinted blue but still transparent. Since I am in the SF Bay Area, there is a lot of blue water around me so the screen looks bluer than it truly is -- hard to catch exact colors photographing the screen. The land areas around the water are actually GREY rather than blue.

Here is the map screen itself after pressing "Start Navigation." Again, the option buttons are transparent but slightly blue rather than grey. No change to the way Matt had the street name field or the time/distance field.

Remember, your pointer icon is probably the gold arrow, mine only shows as a car because I replaced it. If you want to try this "skin" out, you can download it here: http://gpspassion.com/upload/Blue_Skin.zip

Forgot to mention: ALL PNGs in this resource file were run through PNGOutWin to make them as small as possible.

[Fixed the zip file name, its called Blue_Skin.zip and the resource file inside is named the default name MN6ResourcesBinary.res]

Edited by - NeitherFanboy on 05 déc. 2007 03:41:18
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  01:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate to post two in a row, would have edited the prior but it's not quite the same topic -- rccrashing: there are two sound files in the MN6ResourcesBinary file, but changing them has no effect. It appears that the startup sound may be in ROM. So far nobody has managed to successfully change it.
Go to Top of Page

aer

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  01:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice work
Go to Top of Page

Fredvs79

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  01:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please, let's not just upload MN6ResourceBinary.res files and link to them. There will be SEVERAL variations on this file, and they can't all be called the same thing. Also to avoid errors, let's not call the *.res file anything except MN6ResourceBinary.res, so no editing of names needs to be done.

Instead, please put your MN6ResourceBinary.res file in a zip file with whatever descriptive name you choose. You can also include some screen shots of the 'skin' in the zip file. This will help also for organization if you have a couple of skin files on your hard drive.

Go to Top of Page

rccrashing

20 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  02:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey NeitherFanboy... very cool looking screenshots!!! Green for go is a good choice...makes sense.

WOW, its definitely coming along....

Thanks Matt for the transparency mod!
Go to Top of Page

unrequited

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  04:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rccrashing

Does anyone know what files (and where are the files located) to change the startup tune....? Thanks.

Check out my thread here, unfortunately it's complicated.
Go to Top of Page

mwsku83

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  05:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I updated my skin from earlier with a new background that's a little more "eye candy-ish" than the original, with the main screen buttons semi-transparent so you can somewhat see the design behind the buttons. Because I'm apparently weird (or maybe part German?), I used a gray background. But because I'm nice (and nobody would download it if gray was the only color), I made the background into the following colors:

Blue:

Green:

Orange:

Purple:

Red:

Yellow:

Now, it was a little harder than just coloring the first background into the above files because there are
five background files for each color - the plain background plus four with various menus embedded in the image itself. So I did put a little bit of work into this ;-)

Anyway, the zip file I uploaded includes the res file with the gray background already packed, plus folders containing the background files for each color above. If you are like me and want the gray background, just use the res file and you're done. If you want a different color, unpack your current skin res file and then copy ALL the files from the \Backgrounds\<color> folder to \images\lowres\ApollonLandscape, then repack. Oh, and you might want to optimize...these files are a little bigger than the originals.

Anyway, I was going to give you a screenshot of the finished product, but I don't have time to take pics right now so just take my word for it - it looks pretty slick with the new background and semi-transparent main screen buttons. Just try it out if you'd like and let me know what you think.

Here's the zip with the gray res and all background files:

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/Transparent_NewBacks.zip
Download:
http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/Transparent_NewBacks.zip
Go to Top of Page

unrequited

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  06:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks NeitherFanboy and mwsku83 for your skins, I re-edited some of the menus to clean up the dithering (so it looks cleaner) and added a nice background of my car (2006 WRX STI). I even got some pics of my car and redid all of the car icons, if you want to use them as well. You'll definitely get a kick out of the startup animation. > )

Please let me know what you guys think of the skin:

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/navigon_2100_subaru_wrx_sti_skin.zip

I'll leave the intro animation for you guys to see.
Go to Top of Page

wolf1306

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  07:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great work unrequited and NeitherFanboy, keep it up

Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  09:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know the names of the time/distance field box and the alt./speed field box? Thanks.

Edited by - balistc on 05 déc. 2007 09:32:01
Go to Top of Page

doogster

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  12:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all - I'm just asking for a little guidance. I see the skin files are starting to pop up now and I think its AWESOME! but I don't want to screw my unit up. Can someone explain exactly what steps to take to use these skins? Do I simply connect my 2100 to my computer and copy the contents of the skin .zip file to the unit? Is there anything I need to do 1st like unlock the unit? Thank you for your help.
Go to Top of Page

ocharlies

1 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  14:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried NeitherFanboy's and unrequited's skins. Really good - much better than the dull original one.

There is only one problem for me though: On the navigation screen after selecting a new destination, the miles-to-turn and the arriving-time buttons are gone.

How can I get them back?
Go to Top of Page

stack316

24 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  16:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all..

I am following similar steps for my 5100. Unfortunately I cannot copy one of the res files on this site as it freezes on the start up screen. I have been able to change a few of the icons to the popular blue color....My GPS looks alot better with the blue than the gray.

However, I am stuck.

Whenever I open the file on my GPS with the "ResourceView" application and try to edit some icons...it opens a NERO program and then an error pops up saying the icon file in a Temp folder is not able to be opened. "I was able to do 4-5 icons but now I get this error"

I can edit the file with "Paint" but that is an aweful utility.

What program are others using to edit the colors?

Suggestions/ideas?

Thank you

(I'll try to get Corel Paint Shop Pro XI)

Edited by - stack316 on 05 déc. 2007 17:20:54
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  16:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Doogster - you only need to copy one file down to your 2100 to make use of the skins, unless you are changing the pointer to a car icon and then you have a little more to do. The file for the skins is MN6RescourcesBinary.res, and you copy it to the MN6 directory on your SD card, then restart the 2100.

mwsku83 - wow! Will try yours later this morning. I'll take my extra SD and just put your res file on it and check that out.

unrequited - your car icons look great! Love the circle around your 2D car pointer. Its great having your actual vehicle as the pointer.

ocharlies - I am not seeing that on mine. Arriving time should be part of the basic settings under "Show Time of Arrival" -- those settings are saved in an XML file and are not affected by changing the resource file. Anyone else having this issue??

stack316 - not sure why Nero comes up -- I have Nero on my PC as well but its not coming up when I run MN6ResourceView ... is the file type .res associated with Nero and if so, can you change the association? I use Corel Paint Shop Pro XI to edit images, more power than Paint and I find it easier than Adobe Photoshop.

Edited by - NeitherFanboy on 05 déc. 2007 16:41:56
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  19:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A screenshot of mwsku83's main screen with the grey background selected:

and with the blue background selected:

Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  19:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A picture of unrequited's main screen:

And of the map with the 2D car showing:

And with the 3D car showing:

The animation will remain a surprise, so if you want to see it, you have to try the skin.
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  19:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet! They all look great!

NeitherFanboy, you know the names of the time/distance field box and the alt./speed field box? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2007 :  21:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe for those you want field_info-1.png, field_info-2.png and field_info-3.png (and you may need to do their counterparts, field_info-1-lable.png, field_info-2-lable.png and field_info-3-lable.png)
Go to Top of Page

dkotoric

6 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  01:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I have a problem. I own a Navigon 2100 and a TomTom 3rd edition and I like my Navigon better but the map from my Navigon doesn't have my home address since I live in a neighborhood that didn't exist 2 years ago. However the TomTom does include my neighborhood. I was just wondering if anyone knows a way to manually edit my Navigon map or use the TomTom map on my Navigon unit.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  03:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI: there are amplified sound files for the 2100 posted in this topic: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=97186&whichpage=10

I don't suppose they count as a "Skin" but thought some users here might be interested.

mwsku83's idea to change his background file to a graphic rather than just a color totally gave me an idea (thanks mwsku83). I changed my startup animation and my background file to match. Found a BMW logo spinner on the German site, so now when the animation changes to the "main screen" the backgrounds are the same, the buttons just "appear" in front of them. They look like this:

Now the only thing I want to edit on this is to make the "back arrow" button a little lighter.

The routing may be a little hinky on the 2100, but I don't know if I'd be having as much fun with a TomTom.

Edited by - NeitherFanboy on 07 déc. 2007 01:51:22
Go to Top of Page

GGGPS

36 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  20:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I wanted to first off thank all of you (Fred, NeitherFanBoy, Matt) for your efforts. These skins all look very nice. I know these are all specific to the 2100/5100, but wanted to know if the same thing could be done for the 7100, which is what I own (picked one up from Overstock.com last week for about $260). I tried replacing the ResourceBinary file with some of the modified ones here (especially like Matt's transparency, but then my Navigon wouldn't load properly, until I put the original file back. I know the interface's are a little different between the 7100 and 2100, but just wanted to know what you guys thought?

Thanks so much.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  20:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GGGPS - that sounds like the correct result. From what I remember of looking at a resource file from the German site for a 7100, the file structure in the resource file is different -- I think it has to do with the fact that you have a larger screen so your icons/graphics need to be different - larger. You will need to edit a 7100 resource file instead of a 2100. Matt's edits are fairly easy, you should have to make some buttons transparent -- don't have to color a bunch of stuff. Are you comfortable doing the edits? Hasn't anyone on this forum already done a 7100?
Go to Top of Page

GGGPS

36 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  20:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really appreciate the fast response NeitherFanBoy!

Yea that was what I had assumed. I also tried downloading one of the German ones for the 7100 off the link you had posted, but again it didn't load properly. I don't mind doing edits as I have backed up my SD card, but do you know what files I would need to adjust. Also what programs would be able to do this kinda stuff...would Paint or Microsoft Office Picture Manager suffice?

Really appreciative of your help.
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  21:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NeitherFanBoy, sorry for all the noob questions. I tried changing the Back.png, but then how do you change Back_routeplanning.png etc. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by - balistc on 06 déc. 2007 21:09:23
Go to Top of Page

mwsku83

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  22:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who want to make your own backgrounds, these might help:

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/Background_Files.zip

Start out with your desired 320x240 background (Back.png). Then, in whichever image editing program you use, copy each of the files included in the zip and and paste onto your Back.png file as a new layer. Make sure the coordinates of the layer match up exactly (0,0)->(0,0) and (320,240)->(320,240) with the coordinates of the background layer. Then save the new image as the filename of the layer from the zip file to your ..\images\lowres\ApollonLandscape folder. As long as you have a decent image editing program (and a basic understanding of how to use it), the whole process should not take more than 5 minutes to create all the background files.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  22:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey balistc ... mwsku83 answered you first, and he's got it right. How much work you want to do on the background files is up to you. I did back_routeplanning.png, but on some of the others I just colored them and did not bother to make them match the back.png because not enough of it shows.

This is how back_routeplanning.png looks by itself:

You can just barely see Jake's head over the top of the boxes and his hand right below them. And then when its actually loaded up on the 2100 it looks like this:

So with the option buttons and the boxes, very little of the background actually shows.

I did exactly what mwsku83 describes for you. I edited backrouteplanning.png by cutting everything out but the box. Then I added a new layer and pasted my background into the new layer. Make sure your layer arrangement shows the boxes on top and the background layer behind and there you have it.

[Of course, you could make all the boxes somewhat transparent so your background shows through, doing that on mine now -- will I ever be done editing?]

Edited by - NeitherFanboy on 06 déc. 2007 22:42:18
Go to Top of Page

mwsku83

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  22:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NeitherFanBoy,

It looks like your back_routplanning layer is not in the correct location (too low). See how the blue bars are behind the "Show Route" button? I was having that problem too and fixed it by doing this (using Paint Shop Pro 9):

1) Open Back.png and the Back_routeplanning.png layer in Paint Shop Pro
2) On Back_routeplanning.png, Select All (Ctrl+A) then Copy (Ctrl+C)
3) On Back.png, Select All (Ctrl+A) then Paste Into Selection (Ctrl+Shift+L)

This puts the Back_routeplanning layer in the correct position over Back.png, whereas Paste as New Layer does not for some reason.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  22:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang, you are correct mwsku83! And paste as new layer is exactly what I was using. Check my original file and the boxes are not overlapped! Thanks for the catch, I'm going to fix that!

Okay, redid that to fix the box being too low. Thanks again mwsku83. Made the boxes transparent so I could see at least some of the backgound.

Edited by - NeitherFanboy on 07 déc. 2007 01:07:27
Go to Top of Page

GGGPS

36 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  23:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Matt,

I wanted to ask you how much trouble it would be you to make your same grey transperant theme with the 7100 binary file? I tried doing it, but I don't just have that range of customization with Paint. I am sure you are busy too, so if not thats cool. Let me know what you think and I can try to send u the 7100 binary file and if it works we can post it here for everyone to use.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  23:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank guys! That helped a lot.
Go to Top of Page

mwsku83

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  01:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GGGPS

Hey Matt,

I wanted to ask you how much trouble it would be you to make your same grey transperant theme with the 7100 binary file? I tried doing it, but I don't just have that range of customization with Paint. I am sure you are busy too, so if not thats cool. Let me know what you think and I can try to send u the 7100 binary file and if it works we can post it here for everyone to use.

Thanks

I'll work on it in my spare time. Go ahead and post a link to your res file and I'll take a look at it. The only problem I would have is if the files are named and/or structured so differently that I won't be able to easily correlate 2100<->7100. There was a little trial and error with my 2100, and I won't be able to do the same without actually having a 7100.
Go to Top of Page

GGGPS

36 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  03:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Matt,

That sounds great...I am sure you have a million other things to do, so only work on this if u get a chance and its not very time consuming. How does one go about posting a file on this website? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

mwsku83

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  04:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GGGPS

Hey Matt,

That sounds great...I am sure you have a million other things to do, so only work on this if u get a chance and its not very time consuming. How does one go about posting a file on this website? Thanks.

Check out this link on uploading a file:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14251
Go to Top of Page

aznsushi41

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  06:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to neitherfanboy, i met u on terry's review page, to the back question
where/which folder do u paste the background images in? ive dl all the files but cant find where to put it, also i put your speedracer icon on my 2100 and its awesom thanks ! but heres my lamborghini 2d

Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  06:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aznsushi41 -- your lamborghini looks great! What does it look like in 3D? As for the backgrounds, I am not sure I understand your question, so I just shoot around it and hope I hit the target.

The background files live in the resource file, MN6ResourcesBinary.res ... you must have downloaded one of those as your option button is transparent and your battery icon has changed, so possibly Matt's scheme. In order to change, you need to use MN6ResourceView to open the MN6ResourcesBinary.res and then you need to copy the background files you want to use to the images\lowres\apollonlandscape inside the resource file, then save the resource file. The car icons are easier, because they don't have to go into the resource file.
Go to Top of Page

aznsushi41

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  07:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for those who want my 2d lambo
here it is
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  07:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the Trekkies of the world:

Go to Top of Page

rccrashing

20 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  08:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aznsushi41 / NeitherFanboy .... NICE! Did you guys do all 2D images for the lamborghini and the enterprise? How do you go about making a button "transparent"? (Like the Option button", etc.... And does NE1 have an EZ listing of what all the buttons are called?

Great job guys!... I love how you guys are finding ways to add that personal touch! Let's hope Navigon comes out with some solid patches to routing algorithms and a way to add POI's...
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  09:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did all the 2D images for the Enterprise, since I just have to have the graphic program rotate the image to the correct degree, then save, then rotate, then save, etc. The options buttons are easy, because they all start "btn_options", but you need to do that back buttons too. I wish someone would put together a list of what each button on the screen is called, I think most of us have been doing it by trial and error.
Go to Top of Page

MPBsr25

175 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  14:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think my wife would kill me if I used the Enterprise.

Hoping the weather is decent this weekend to take pics of the stang for the 2100.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  16:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MPBsr25 - it is kind of cool to have the car you are actually driving be the pointer on your GPS. Need to take pics of my little 325i but the weather reports for the weekend are bleak.
Go to Top of Page

Fredvs79

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  21:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i LOVE the enterprise icon! Way to innovate something cool. WHo's up for making the bat-mobile?

On a side note, I have an e36 M3, and will be making an icon for all your BMW users.

Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2007 :  21:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH HEY, I had not thought of the Batmobile! I have to try that. E36 huh, you are in the big league. I am only a lowly E30 owner.
Go to Top of Page

searocko

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  01:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey folks! Great ideas here and thanks for all of your tips and hard work. I came across a slew of 3D icons from another forum and I thought I'd share. Enjoy!

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/3D-Autos.zip
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  01:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unzipped those autos, they are excellent! Such a time saver over trying to create my own. And the Batmobile is there! Thanks tons, searocko
Go to Top of Page

GGGPS

36 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  02:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
mwsku83 Posted - 12/07/2007 : 01:33:46
I'll work on it in my spare time. Go ahead and post a link to your res file and I'll take a look at it. The only problem I would have is if the files are named and/or structured so differently that I won't be able to easily correlate 2100<->7100. There was a little trial and error with my 2100, and I won't be able to do the same without actually having a 7100.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for taking a look at it in your spare time. Here is the link to the file (I added the Nav7100- to the file name just to distinguish it). This is my first time uploading so not sure if it will work or not.

Go to Top of Page

GGGPS

36 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  02:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so i dont think that worked..let me try it again

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/Nav7100-MN6ResourcesBinary.res
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  03:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone tell me what I did wrong with this background file? It does not show up right. I used Gimp to edit.

Go to Top of Page

GGGPS

36 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  03:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt,

I think i finally got the file uploaded using a different upload site.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6xhfattd2my

This is the Navigon 7100 MN6ResourcesBinary.res

Thanks so much
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  03:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
balistc -- it looks to me like that boxes that are supposed to appear on TOP of that background are too transparent ... you can kind of make them out, but not enough to see them.
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  03:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NeitherFanboy, it's the background that doesn't show up right. That's what has me confused.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  04:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
balistc ... what do you mean by the background does not show up right?? Its hard to tell from the picture, but either there should have been (at some point) two layers to the image, the background and the boxes on top of the background. If the boxes are too transparent, they will be lost against the background ... OR, if the background is somewhat transparent and it is the FIRST layer, so it sits on TOP of the boxes rather than the other way around, you will see the boxes through the background rather than vice versa. (Of course, once you save to PNG the layers are merged). Wish there was an easy way for you to send me your background so I could look at it. Are we allowed to paste email addresses here? I better check the rules.
Go to Top of Page

alkeshtech

13 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  05:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,
Been busy lately with the finals, but I see people already have started making some cool themes. I am going to create a whole new set of icons, with the newly created background. I am just taking time to learning photoshop(that baby is powerful.), but I wanted to ask
1) How were the options made transparent?
2) For the files like Back_routeplanning.png, Back_TMC.png, etc, how exactly did you replace the background?
Go to Top of Page

balistc

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  06:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically I can't even tell what the back ground is. The buttons show up fine.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  07:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a digital camera? Can you shoot the screen so we can see it? Or upload your MN6ResourcesBinary.res so we can check it out?
Go to Top of Page

aznsushi41

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  09:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NFB -- i cant add the files to the MSviewer, it wont let me!
i dono how to work it, i can open the binary.res file but cant do anything after that...
and i already thought of the batmobil car but wasnt a fan. i want to do my car too but its a 94 camry--not worth it, rather have the lambo or bugatti
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  09:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
zansushi41 -- Once you open the resource file with MN6ResourceView, you need to click Export to copy the files out to your hard drive. Then you can browse the images folder you have exported, and then down to lowres\apollonlandscape where you will see all of the images. You can open them with an image editor -- like Photoshop -- and edit them. Once you have, you drag the edited image back to the images\lowres\apollonlandscape folder INSIDE the MN6ResourceView program and drop them there, you will see an red icon in the corner of each image in the list that you have edited, then you save the resource file and your updates will be inside it. You don't have to do that for cars, as they live outside the resource file.
Go to Top of Page

rccrashing

20 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  12:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great lookin out searocko! That's a good find! Tons of cars to choose from... That's the great thing about forums.. sharing...
Go to Top of Page

rccrashing

20 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2007 :  15:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what's the name of the image for the 4 grey bars on the home screen (where you see "new destination", "My destination", "Take Me Home" and "Show Map") are called? I want to make them more transparent (just the grey bars...not the text in the grey bars.....)

TIA!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05