Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2802

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Magellan Roadmate and Maestro AIOs
 MagellanCrossover: Tracks, LOGS, routes...??
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mripley

5 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2007 :  05:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an upgraded 2200t to Crossover.
I'm having a dickens of a time trying to figure out the best way to set up a pre planned route in the Outdoor Nav function.
Using Mapsend, I can not import or seem to export the type of file the magellan expects for LOG files. These are in fact track files that are saved on the memory card when you export a track from the internal memory of the GPS.

The gps uses this type format for the LOG file...

$PMGNTRK,2925.297,N,09829.739,W,0000203,M,023304.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*43
$PMGNTRK,2925.291,N,09829.742,W,0000203,M,023305.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*48
$PMGNTRK,2925.279,N,09829.749,W,0000204,M,023307.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*40
$PMGNTRK,2925.250,N,09829.764,W,0000203,M,023312.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*47
$PMGNTRK,2925.244,N,09829.767,W,0000203,M,023313.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*40
$PMGNTRK,2925.219,N,09829.780,W,0000203,M,023318.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*4A
$PMGNTRK,2925.214,N,09829.782,W,0000202,M,023319.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*45
$PMGNTRK,2925.208,N,09829.788,W,0000223,M,023412.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*4D
$PMGNTRK,2925.190,N,09829.797,W,0000217,M,023418.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*4C
$PMGNTRK,2925.162,N,09829.810,W,0000211,M,023423.00,A,WORK HOME,181007*4F

In another experiment, I have created a list of waypoints and successfully imported them into the GPS but a route is not automatically created from them. I have to "build" the trip manually in the GPS on the touch screen. Not a great option for 83 waypoint routes and it has driven me nuts.

An additional question:
Can I build an pre-created route composed of waypoints and import them into the GPS?

The reason I wish to do this... I am planning a trip to Mexico and have created waypoints to navigate in areas I don't have street level maps. (car nav won't work for this)

I truly love this Magellan unit and want to make this work. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by - mripley on 28 nov. 2007 05:33:27

Ads

jabba69

17 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2007 :  15:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

Just like tracks, You can create a wapointroute and save it to a waypointroute-file (extension rte)using Mapsend or Vantagepoint. Read then menue carefully
Using then new VantagePoint would be the better choice than the old MapSend.

grts, jabba
Go to Top of Page

mripley

5 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2007 :  21:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! I'll try creating the waypoint route as you describe and also try Vantagepoint.

Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

peejer

9 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2007 :  21:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is there a trick to getting vantage point software to recognize the crossover. I have the 2200T that I upgraded. I just downloaded vantage point and it is not recognizing my gps. Any thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

Dave_Ottawa

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2007 :  22:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peejer

I just downloaded vantage point and it is not recognizing my gps. Any thoughts?

To the best of my knowledge, VantagePoint is only compatible with eXplorist and Triton GPS units, not the Crossover. It is lot listed as compatible on the Magellan support page. I also tried it myself with no luck.

Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

peejer

9 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2007 :  23:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not surprised that it doesn't work. Seems to be the Magellan way...

I am dissapointed though as that is exactly what i'm looking for.

Anyone know of any other programs that would work for the crossover that do similar features?

Go to Top of Page

mripley

5 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  17:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like I'm going to have to find a replacement card reader. The reader I have is flaky and now that I see that VP does not directly talk to the XOver... I'm having to wait.

(edit)
The odd thing is that the start up image of the program appears to have an icon of the crossover!
(end edit)

Edited by - mripley on 02 déc. 2007 15:40:12
Go to Top of Page

challenger3x2

4 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2007 :  16:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,, I am trying to decide on a nav unit I can use in the car and on the boat,, I am mostly a lake boater and do not spend a lot of time on the road however when we go for road trips they are quite a few hundred mile trecks...A unit that can advise on were food and fuel are along the way is needed... once on the water navagation around a given lake or locale waterway is also needed...
for the most part the unit will spend it's time in the truck...

I am interested in the Megellan Crossover,,, I found one at the local WalMart in the outdoor sporting goods department... The man behind counter said it was a good unit and had he not already had a TomTom this would be the one he would get...

I have not heard of this unit before but it looks to fill needs...

Your input is more than welcome....
Go to Top of Page

jlg234

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2007 :  21:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say TRUCK do you mean work vehicle or personal use vehicle?

Also more info on the Crossover is available if you do a search and use "Crossover" as the keyword. You may also search on the 2200 as it is upgradeable to a Crossover.

As for Marine Nav I am looking for some info for you. I came across a query from someone under the "General Questions" forum and I am trying to track him down w/re to the Crossover as a Marine Nav device. I hope he responds to my email.

I noticed that you have not provided an email for contact should something come up. Reguardless of what GPS you buy you will find that GPSPassion is a very good source for problem solving and "How To's" so I hope you stay on board.

2200T-NA Upgraded to Crossover w/New Map V2 Update + Jensen-NVX225
eXplorist 500 @ 2.57 firmware also a Garmin eTrex Navigatior
GpsPassion Club Member
Retired & Lovin it! I monitor these Forums and my email frequently - Canada

Edited by - jlg234 on 11 déc. 2007 21:37:23
Go to Top of Page

jlg234

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  08:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The person replied to my question concerning his Marine Nav experience. It turned out that he was trying to get an older Magellan to work but was unable to. He has since dropped his endevor in this field.

So my input will be this.

BlueNav maps I find expensive - but I believe they are expensive for other makes as well.

If you can, purchase a Mapsend topo CD covering your country (USA or Canada). The built in Topo that conmes with the Crossover covers the lower 48 US states and has a resolution of 90 meters. The other products should give you a 50-30 meter resolution.

Even though Magellan claims the CD version don't work with this unit - this is not true. They would like you to purchase their SD card version which usually covers only one region and can only be used with one GPS unit. The CD versions give you the whole country and can create map regions with the ability to make individual map regions for different Crossovers. The map regions are ported to the GPS via an SD card - no GPS to PC hook-up for map transfer. This is what gives you the flexability to generate across multiple Crossover GPS units.

As a multipurpose GPS you should fine the Crossover satisfactory.

You can add your own POI's or download some from this site.
The Outdoor/Marine navigation is strickly point to point unlike the Vehicle Nav app that guides you along your route.

In Outdoor and Marine Nav mode - with the appropriate maps you should be able to see where your are w/re to the terrain. You can set up muitple waypoints as a route and by using the GPS make your way to the target destinations. This unit will also track a route so that you can retrace your steps to return to your original departure point.

I found the vehicle Nav side to be accurate and the maps to be relatively up-to-date. The unit also plays MP3's (Not while Navigating) and it does display jpeg images with the ability to zoom in or have a slide show.
It has a good battery life (approx 8 hrs). It comes with only a car power adapter but you can get an inexpensive A/C adapter that provides a cigar type connector for powering the unit in the house.
While in the field and making your way to a distant point you can shut down the "Display" screen to conserve battery power until your next reading. The unit will continue to track while in this mode.

The unit does not come with a stylist but I made my own using a sharp wooden scure and just rounding the point. It allows for greater accuracy when using the touch screen.

Not bad for an all in one package.

GpsPassion Club Member

Edited by - jlg234 on 12 déc. 2007 09:09:41
Go to Top of Page

mripley

5 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  15:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jlg234, I seem to have odd problems trying to import a "TRIP" under the OUTDOOR mode of the Crossover.

It seems to limit the trip I import to 50 by truncating at the 50 point mark. Also, the GPS does not consistently recognize the files that place on an SD card. I've found that ensuring ALLCAPS, no s p a c e s in the file names and to using file names that are SHRT (short) helps.

Sometimes they work but they often fail on import.
I do append the file (consisting of $PMGNWPL wapypoints and $PMGNTRK Tracks) with an $PMGNEND.

I have successfully done this on some shorter trips of only 10 waypoints but it fails as well on others of similar size with an import error.

So to recap, either the crossover does not see the TRIP.RTE file on the list for importing or if it does see it, it may fail.

When I get home tonight, I'll post direct examples of what works and what fails.

Any help resolving this before my Mexico trip would be fantastic.

Superthanks!

Edited by - mripley on 12 déc. 2007 16:00:35
Go to Top of Page

jlg234

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  17:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I'm a novice when it comes to that.

I have yet to use the Outdoor app other than taking the dog for a walk in the neighbourhood(Basicly to see how the tracking works). I only bought my unit in Sept-07 and this is my first GPS. Due to not getting my topo map till late in the year I have not done any offroad treks with it.

But if you email me your original exported files as well as a short description of what you were doing I can play with them as well and see what I can come up with. ( ezeechair@rogers.com )

Please let me know what software you are using to manipulate the records?

Two heads may be better than one.

GpsPassion Club Member

Edited by - jlg234 on 12 déc. 2007 17:04:38
Go to Top of Page

jabba69

17 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  17:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the CrossoverGPS comes with the same limits as all the other outdoor devices from Magellan:
2000 trackpoints
20 Routes / 50 waypoints per route (or 49 legs)
If you have routes with more than 50 points you just have to split the route into partial routes. A tool that does this automatically is the freeare: waypointer - http://www.codepointer.de/waypointer/english.html

If You copy data to the SD card, be shure to change the SD card when the mapscreen is shown. This forces the XO to reinitialize the SD card.

grts, jabba
Go to Top of Page

jlg234

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  17:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jabba69 - knowing these limitations well save alot of hair pulling. Can you do a hot card swap? I was under the impression that the unit had to be either in hibernation mode or a hard off in order to change it safely.

Another one appears to be Veh Nav limitation of approx 600 miles before you get the Memory Low-Cold boot required. I have noticed that this may occur much sooner if I have played around alot with the device before going on a short trek around the city. Especially if quite a few "Route Calc's" were forced. Do you experience the same with your unit - assuming it is an XO ?

mripley I still wouldn't mind getting your data so that I have something to play with until I can record my own this summer.

My unit as well is a 2200T-NT updated to a XO and I have Topo Canada and DirectRoute Europe for use on it.

GpsPassion Club Member

Edited by - jlg234 on 12 déc. 2007 17:34:48
Go to Top of Page

jabba69

17 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  09:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the European version of the CrossoverGPS (firmware 1.93). Hotswap works fine and i never had any memory-low problems. I've just tested a route from Arhus (Denmark) to Lagos (Portugal) ...

grts, jabba
Go to Top of Page

jlg234

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2007 :  16:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I should have been clearer. What I meant is actually driving a long route or even simulating it. The unit will allow a route exceeding this distance but when you execute it you will have this issue somewhere along the way. I called M Support and was advised of the distance limitation being around 600 miles.
I personally think it is poor memory management on the O/S side with it refusing to free up memory or the workspace is not being used efficiently with no wrap around feature. Just like I said earlier I occasionally have this problem booting around town if too many re-route's are forced. Mind you it does allow "resume route?" after the forced cold boot when you return to the Vehicle Nav map.

The longest trip so far that I have taken with it is Ottawa to Montreal which is approx 124 Km and it didn't do it then. I will be travelling 800 kms (Ottawa to Sault Staint Marie Ontario) in January 2008. I will be interested in seeing at what stages it will do this. I will report my findings here.

2200T-NT upgraded to a CrossOver firmware ver 2.14. Original firmware was 1.68 as a 2200T-NT.

GpsPassion Club Member

Edited by - jlg234 on 13 déc. 2007 16:30:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05