Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2166

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 "All in One" Navigation Systems
 [TOPIC] Customizing the HP iPaq 310
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 244

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  20:06:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
READ FIRST : "Customizing" the iPaq 310 means that you are adding applications that were not specifically designed to run on the device, therefore there is a risk that you will alter its normal operation the way it was intended by HP.

While many applications have been found to run properly (TCPMP for DivX playing, OziCE for off-road GPS), there is always a risk that you will prevent your unit from operating normally, especially since there is currently no way of returning it to its factory settings (the changes to the crucial registry are permanent). Only proceed with caution and under your sole responsibility (On Page 3 of the HP "Global limited warranty and technical support" leaflet, it states quite clearly that the said warranty does not apply to "... any product...that has been damaged or rendered ineffective by ...(c) software, interfacing, parts or supplies not supplied by HP...").

1. WinCE Tricks and Tips

1. Applauncher by Hagar, download link and instructions here on page 58

2. List of tweaks to the GPS Software UI
MOD: Compass

Step 1: EDIT: Download these files http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/ui_hp_sagan.rar and extract them in your ui_hp_sagan\common folder

Step 2:
Open your ui_hp_sagan\800_480\ui\navigatemap_800_480.ui

Copy these VSPRITE lines:

<VSPRITE dayCompass vec="$compass.vpr" x=9 y=200 z=11 rotatemodel="map.rotation_angle" hide>
<VSPRITE nightCompass vec="$ncompass.vpr" x=9 y=200 z=11 rotatemodel="map.rotation_angle" hide>

and look for the following layer:

<layer ui_NavigateMapTOP z=100>
and paste VSPRITE lines anywhere here
</layer>

A VSPRITE is a vector sprite, if you open the files I provided in the rar file in text editor, you'll find some polygons defined. The top line defines the grid height, width, and its center point based on which the polygon is drawn.

Any curious being can use a graph paper and start plotting these dots and connecting them, starting from top.
Save and close this file.

Step 3:
Open your ui_hp_sagan\800_480\ui\scripts_800_480.ui

copy and paste these scripts at the end:
People who have done the "Full Screen" mod I posted earlier just need to update their existing sc_day_text_color and sc_night_text_color scripts.

<script sc_day_text_color>
dayCompass.show
nightCompass.hide
</script>

<script sc_night_text_color>
dayCompass.hide
nightCompass.show
</script>

Step 4:
Open your ui_hp_sagan\common\ui\navigatemap.ui

Copy the following lines in your <script sc_Original_MapSize> and <script sc_Full_MapSize> scripts

runif vNightMode 1 'run sc_night_text_color'
else_run 'run sc_day_text_color'

Close and save this file.

Move all these files onto your iPaq and enjoy. If it doesn't work the first time, try again:)

To display route details by clicking on the "Clock and chequered flag" icon:

Open ui_hp_sagan\800_480\ui\navigatemap_800_480.ui

Find hp_btn_timeto_dest.bmp

replace the line with the following line:

<BUTTON xxx x=346 y=404 z=51 bmp="hp_btn_timeto_dest.bmp#2" onRelease='NEXTSTATE st_RouteItinerary' enabledmodel="!route.itiner.list.isempty">

Save and close this file.

Move the file to your iPaq and enjoy.

Changing the colors of the map by JohnCougar : download (for 04/2008 update)
Click here for a preview.

data.zip:project_config\hp_sagan.ini: increasing volume from 64 to 128.

[Before]
sound_volume=64
voice_volume=64

[After]
sound_volume=128
voice_volume=128

data.zip:ui_hp_sagan\800_480\ui\setting_800_480.ui: add Pedestrian mode.

[Before]
z=1 value="Car|0|Taxi|1|Bus|2|Truck|3|Bicycle|6"

[After]
z=1 value="Car|0|Taxi|1|Bus|2|Truck|3|Pedestrian|5|Bicycle|6"

data.zip:ui_hp_sagan800_480\ui\setting_800_480.ui: add car pool lanes mode.

[Before]
boolmodel="route.allow_carpool" hide>

[After]
boolmodel="route.allow_carpool">

data.zip:project_config\hp_sagan.ini: remove nav warning message.

[Before]
drive_carefully=1

[After]
drive_carefully=0

Note: When resuming from standby while on battery the message is not displayed. When resuming from standby
while charging the warning message is displayed.I have had only inconsistent results.

Below two further customizations which may be added to the first post.

Disable "Drive Carefully" warning

To completly disable the #8222;Drive Carefully#8220; warning follow these steps:

File:
data.zip \ui_hp_sagan\common\ui\drive_carefully.ui

Replace:
<script sc_drive_carefully_init>
run sc_drive_carefully_show
btn_dc_agree.hide
;ui_drive_carefully_xhtml.z 100005
KEY "RETURN"
KEY "REC"
KEY "UP"
KEY "DOWN"

</script>

With:
<script sc_drive_carefully_init>
; run sc_drive_carefully_show
; btn_dc_agree.hide
; ;ui_drive_carefully_xhtml.z 100005
; KEY "RETURN"
; KEY "REC"
; KEY "UP"
; KEY "DOWN"
;
</script>

Display status messages on boot

File:
data.zip \project_config\hp_sagan.ini

Replace:
[loading]
show_statustext=0
show_progressbar=1

progressbar_x=234
progressbar_y=377
progressbar_bmp="loading_progressbar.bmp"
loading_bmp="loading.jpg"

;text_fontcolor=xFFFFFF
;text_fontsize=30
;text_x=100
;text_y=400
;text_w=600
;text_align: LEFT = 0,CENTER = 1,RIGHT = 2 JUSTIFY = 3
;text_align=1

With:
[loading]
show_statustext=1
show_progressbar=1

progressbar_x=234
progressbar_y=377
progressbar_bmp="loading_progressbar.bmp"
loading_bmp="loading.jpg"

text_fontcolor=xFFFFFF
text_fontsize=24
text_x=100
text_y=410
text_w=600
;text_align: LEFT = 0,CENTER = 1,RIGHT = 2 JUSTIFY = 3
text_align=1

The simulation mode closes if you press somewhere on the map. The following tweak disables this behaviour. Then, the simulation is stopped using the #8220;Play#8221; button.
This is useful for testing some click behaviour. (e.g. show / hide cockpit / full screen)

File:
data.zip \ui_hp_sagan\common\ui\navigatemap.ui

Replace:
<layer ui_FlyOver type="flyover" x=0 y=0 w=800 h=480 z=13004>

With:
<layer ui_FlyOver type="flyover" x=0 y=0 w=0 h=0 z=13004>

It may also be useful for testing some modifications using iGo on PC.

UPDATED 20080225 : The 310 is now Wi-Fi capable, see details on page 33.

UPDATED 20080114 : tip to add back the pedestrian mode : details on page 16.

Posted by lbendlin in the iPaq 310 - User Reviews thread.

"The device is extremely easy to hack. All you need to do is replace the nav.exe with, let's say, TotalCommander for Windows CE (cecmd.exe). AFTER you did a complete backup!

And if you don't like that, add a folder to the Games folder and place your programs there. you can then see another game icon and run your app from there."

"Once you opened the control panel you can set the USB client mode from "Mass Storage Device" to "Serial Class" and then you can use ActiveSync."

You can also boot into the WinCE shell by placing a dummy celoader.exe file in a SD card (max size 2GB) and reset your iPaq

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  20:23:50  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The processor seems to be throttled to 300 MHz. The "CPM Test" control applet fails to fix the processor speed at 600 MHz. At leat this explains the sluggish behaviour.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  20:42:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since there is some "dual core" technology, are there maybe two clock speeds ?
Anything in the way of "autonomy" (on-board A-GPS) settings ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  22:31:40  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the root of the flash storage contains a few .eph and .obs files with pretty recent file date stamps. Looks like some data collection is going on in the background.

One thing that is plaguing a lot of iPAQs is also true for the 310 - you cannot simply use a third party USB charger and expect the device to charge. The charging light will come on but it will only charge very slowly (1% per 15 minutes, with device in standby) or even discharge despite being connected to power. Probably again some signaling on the USB data lines that switches between slow and fast USB charging. (the supplied power supply charges the device as expected).

\windows\gpsviewer.exe gives a lot of details about the GPS receiver. It uses all kinds of funny NMEA sequences like $GPREJ and $GPPRN - this must be where the Ephemeris decoding is happening.

Looks like the receiver is at COM7. TomTom Navigator is still refusing to start so I have to dig out the old Mio hack data.

Lutz

Edited by - lbendlin on 17 nov. 2007 22:42:39
Go to Top of Page

mmzymxf

20 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2007 :  07:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lbendlin: could you post some screenshots of the hacked unit? Also, do you think we will able to install an sdio driver? thanks!
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2007 :  19:04:08  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have screenshots over at pocketgpsworld.com.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

mmzymxf

20 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2007 :  20:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's here, which cost me 20min to find :S - Wow...

So could you install your own program using the live sync? I see a good chance that you can install the driver for the SDIO...

quote:
Originally posted by lbendlin

We have screenshots over at pocketgpsworld.com.

Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2007 :  17:50:43  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, I am already trying to install all sorts of programs. The problem is that this is Windows CE 5, and some of the Windows CE 4.2 DLLs that are needed by most programs (see the C520 hack collection) seem not to work in CE5. TomTom for example starts, and allows initial configuration, but it then bails out at the map selection with a "Memory access violation". Haven't had time to use the dependency walker, or to try and source the needed DLLs from other CE5 devices or the SDK.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2007 :  05:46:40  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure that would help. It's rather something to take to SiRF and Centrality.

Some more hacking tidbits - the device root gets cleared on each soft reset, that includes the \Programs and \My Documents folders (pretty much like a WM Smartphone). This means if you want to run TomTom (I got version 5 to work) you should either refrain from doing soft resets (good luck with that) or make a copy of the \My Documents\TomTom\Currentmap.dat file and folder structure, and restore these after the soft reset.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

mmzymxf

20 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2007 :  07:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to write a script to run on startup to rebuild the root?

[SNIP - UNEEDED QUOTE]
Go to Top of Page

TFGBD

67 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2007 :  11:35:45  Show Profile  Visit TFGBD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some more hacking tidbits - the device root gets cleared on each soft reset, that includes the \Programs and \My Documents folders (pretty much like a WM Smartphone). This means if you want to run TomTom (I got version 5 to work) you should either refrain from doing soft resets (good luck with that) or make a copy of the \My Documents\TomTom\Currentmap.dat file and folder structure, and restore these after the soft reset.

Wow, that sucks. I was hoping a device like this would at least persist its ramdisk or opt for storage as root like WM5. Oh well... Does it at least have a hive-based persistant registry? If so, then you know you can at least remap the shell paths under HKLM\Explorer and it would not be so bad. If not, then it sounds like this thing is almost as crappy as those those inVion units that hard reset even when you try to supend them...

Does suspend at least work on this HP unit?

6 WinCE devices and counting...

Edited by - TFGBD on 20 nov. 2007 11:38:14
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2007 :  13:03:39  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Suspend does work but in a somewhat quirky way. You have to press the power button long to bring the device into standby, but already a short press brings it back up. This is a recipe for disaster when the device is pocketed, since the button is protruding from the case. Makes for a nice temporary pocket warmer.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2007 :  00:22:34  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uncle Ben, you will find the same issues with the preinstalled application (iGO 8 lite). By pushing the envelope we are actually helping the average user understand and (if possible) avoid issues they will encounter on the device. Issues like the wrongly designed power button, sluggish response, GPS failing to reactivate after wakeup, the HP website (www.ipaq.com) not being ready yet etc.

Feel free to look elsewhere if you don't like the discussion here (in this particular thread).

I thought Canadians are eh!

Lutz

Edited by - lbendlin on 21 nov. 2007 00:25:56
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2007 :  00:24:06  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mmzymxf

It's here, which cost me 20min to find :S - Wow...

So could you install your own program using the live sync? I see a good chance that you can install the driver for the SDIO...

Why would you need drivers? According to the documentation for the Titan chipset on the SiRF website the device should natively support SDIO as well as SDHC.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

mmzymxf

20 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2007 :  01:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure since the HP website doesn't say that...

quote:
Why would you need drivers? According to the documentation for the Titan chipset on the SiRF website the device should natively support SDIO as well as SDHC.

Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2007 :  16:31:09  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mmzymxf

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to write a script to run on startup to rebuild the root?

I am pretty sure that MortScript can do that.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 244 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05