|T O P I C R E V I E W
||Posted - 26 mars 2006 : 19:14:22
UPDATED 20070225GARMIN FORERUNNER 205/305
- Latest Software Firmware : v2.50
- Latest GPS Firmware : v2.0 (SiRF v3.2.4)
- Hidden Features : here - Originally for FR201 but work with 205 too
- Other links : see below or click here
- Garmin Website : here
After using the 205 for a few weeks, here are some comments:
- Like any SiRFstarIII GPS, once you've let it download the ephemeris data (requires 30 seconds with a good signal level, > 28dB-Hz) it holds on to the fix like there is no tomorrow ;-)
- Screen resolution : 160x100 pixels
- Can't find a way of displaying latitude/longitude though - UPDATE : needs FW v2.30, then choose "navigation/mark location"
- Can't replicate the 201 trick that was used to navigate to coordinates (record a mark and then modify the lat/long)UPDATE: needs FW v2.30
- The satellite screens (signal and position of the satellites is a nice addition)
- The top right button is a bit difficult to operate, need to get used to it
- I wonder how durable the grey/blue paint is going to be, seems a bit flimsy, the dark grey matte finish of the 201 has held up very well.
- Battery life : timed at 10 hours 30 minutes, about 30 less than the Forerunner 201, the tradeoff for acquiring and holding the fix much better, although the Globalsat GH-601 achieves about 19 hours, and that can come in handy - With the GPS module off, battery life comes in at 31 hours
Questions, comments ?
FR 205 screenshots - satellite screen, waypoints, no GPS economy mode
The Forerunner 205 seen next to the Edge 305 HSR and the FR201
Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
|15 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
||Posted - 29 nov. 2010 : 19:13:23
Still enjoying my FR205, probably the "oldest" (2006) GPS system I'm still using! Amazon is having a Cybermonday sale on the FR205 at $100 and the FR305 at $130 with the heartrate monitor :
FR205 : http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Sports-Watch/dp/B000CSQJ8C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1291054171&sr=8-4
FR305 : http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291054171&sr=8-1
||Posted - 22 févr. 2010 : 13:36:19
Took out the ol' FR205 to record tracks on the runs, connect via USB with Sporttracks and that's it. The FR405 is more compact but less convenient with the required USB ANT key and special cable to charge it.
Track uploaded on Snow Days for an analysis of the lifts, runs and breaks : http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=131552#929177
||Posted - 25 août 2009 : 11:40:29
Thanks for the tip and good luck with the exercising !
||Posted - 25 août 2009 : 05:09:35
Just bought a Garmin 305 Forerunner from Costco Canada. It was relatively inexpensive==$176 Cdn IIRC. Goal? Move more, watching my heartrate. I'm too heavy.
Put the unit on--surprise! The pulserate is in the upper right corner. It's so small that old eyes can't read it (there's a little hope if I really try in bright, bright light. I'm 62...)
BUT--I just found there is a fix.
Turn unit on. Push Mode button twice to go display (History, Training, Navigation, Settings) Scroll down and select settings. Select "General". Select "Data Fields"
I selected "4" displays on the screen, selected a screen I would like to change, then scrolled through until I found Heart Rate.
When I was done, my 305 displays:
* Time * Heart Rate
* Distance * Time of Day
Works for me!
||Posted - 14 mars 2008 : 05:21:34
Originally posted by JohnMinnesota
Yes - any company that has their attorney deal with customer complaints has some major issues!
Globalsat GH-601 - now that looks like a cool device. I am going to dig in and see about getting one of those. Thanks for creating this forum. It is indeed one of the best I've found on this topic.
Have a great day!
||Posted - 15 janv. 2008 : 18:30:23
Is it worth saving a few bucks and buying a used Forerunner 205 or just get a new one?
||Posted - 19 sept. 2007 : 18:24:56
Originally posted by kulingen
Can the US version show km instead of miles?
||Posted - 03 août 2007 : 17:34:01
Can the US version show km instead of miles?
||Posted - 15 juil. 2007 : 21:57:10
Hello all! I am interested in buying a 305 but have a couple questions. I am a runner and have been using the Polar S625x to get my heart rate, speed and distance. I am starting to have some issues after about 18 months, so I'm looking at possible replacements. I am an american currently living in Germany, so my first question is how good is the signal quality of the 305 in Europe? Are there different 305 models for the US and Europe or does the same model work worldwide? One thing I really like about my Polar is how well it charts change in altitude. Is the 305 good at tracking change in altitude as well? Thanks for all your help!
||Posted - 15 juin 2007 : 14:39:43
to all you forerunner owners take a look at mapmyrun.com they have a upload utility that will connect to your forerunner and then upload your runs onto a google map, and it will also convert it to use with google earth. also you can create courses on the site for use in your forerunner. here is a link to a trail run i ran on wendsday.
link to gps upload tool:
||Posted - 27 mars 2007 : 16:10:30
... and new GPS firmware v2.9 via WebUpdater.
Additionally, I have found the Forerunner 205 to be an excellent training device - preparing for Chicago Marathon ... so far, great training software and satellite lock.
Fun to use while hiking and biking too.
The only thing i can't find are real-time coordinates (i see them on setting a "marker" - but not real-time). A nice to have for geocaching.
||Posted - 18 mars 2007 : 12:18:54
New v2.60 version for 205 http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1419
||Posted - 05 nov. 2006 : 23:49:30
sounds like their could be something wrong with it, my 205 never loses the fix even under heavy foliage, maybe you should swap it in.
knut - thanks for sharing, got 31 hours here with GPS off on the 205, not bad, quickest way to reactivate the GPS was to turn it off and on again.
||Posted - 31 oct. 2006 : 09:03:18
I post my little experience with Garmin Forerunner 305:
- poor signal quality, even on open sky.
- the signal often is lost under roads with some trees.
- sometimes, in one hour of running, suddenly there are ridiculous values in speed, causing the signaling of alerts for maximum speed.
The unit mounts firmware 2.80 and sw 2.40.
I am not satisfied with this unit.
||Posted - 28 oct. 2006 : 19:22:51
Originally posted by gpspassion
Good question on the battery life with GPS off, it should be quite good, I'll try to test that next week.
I just completed a completely unscientific test on this issue, result was 29h 30m 06sec. Test was conducted with latest unit software on a FR305 with HRM enabled. For the record the longest run time I've seen with the GPS enabled is 10h 45m.