Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!
|T O P I C R E V I E W
||Posted - 01 janv. 2006 : 21:43:26
CUSTOMIZING THE Magellan Roadmate 800 *
BEFORE - HIDDEN MENU - AFTER
Here's how to turn your Roadmate 800 into a full Windows CE4.2 mobile terminal with the same navigation features as previously but with the option to play movies with the TCPMP player of use it for "All-Terrain" GPS with OziCE or make it run 75% faster ! )
How to :
The first step was discovered by accident by trying the same key combination as the one used to bring up the system menu on the Roadmate 700 back in 2003.
- From the main menu, (screenshot on the left), do the following : ++--+- (volume keys)
- You will be taken to a hidden menu, click on "Next" bottom right
- On the following screen, click on "Launch Explorer" then on "Exit Shell" (screenshot #2 above)
- You are now on the WinCE4.2 "desktop"
- Click on windows menu (windows icon bottom left)/settings/taskbar then check "auto hide" and OK
- Download the CustRM800_GPSPASSIONe.zip Pack
- Extract the CustRM800_GPSPASSION.cab and ReadMe.txt files included in the zip file
- Place CustRM800_GPSPASSION.cab on an SD memory card, then insert it in the RM800
- On the RM800 go to windows menu/programs/Windows Explorer, navigate to "SDMMC Card" and double-click on CustRM800_GPSPASSION.cab, then click on "enter", the kit will install itself
- Go back to the "desktop" and double-click on SoftReset
- The DivX player will now install itself, click on OK
- That's it !
The RM800 is now a WinCE4.2 terminal with :
- Original navigation/photo/Music features (double-click on the TNShell icon to go back to the original menu)
- The TCPMP DivX player (ex-BetaPlayer) pre-installed - you can download the Matrix trailer here for testing purposes
- OziCE (in demo mode) for full "All-Terrain" GPS
- Xclock to make it run at 530Mhz instead of 300Mhz, no problems here so fat with stability but use at YMMV
- A virtual keyboard and you can install more applications listed here (link in French)
IMPORTANT NOTES TO READ BEFORE GETTING STARTED :
DO NOT MODIFY the contents of HDD/HDD2/HDD3 or /My Flash Disk as they contain the software and data the RM800 needs to operate properly. Any changes there and your RM800 could be toast - you have 5Gb of space available on HDD4 to store movies or maps for OziCE
After the first customization, the screen will switch off after 10 seconds, press any key to bring it back up, once you've launched TNShell.exe it will stay on, even if you leave the original "shell" - the blue on/off button on the left side only operates if the original "shell" is running
It's possible to activate ActiveSync by clicking on the third box of the hidden menu (screenshot 2 above), the RM800 will reboot and you can then uncheck "USB detection enabled", connect the RM800 via USB to your PC and AS will detect it like a PDA. If you don't have ActiveSync, you can download it on the Microsoft site here.
Installing programs over ActiveSync is sometimes not possible, in that case use the .cab and transfer it to the RM800 where you can double-click on it
The GPS receiver is on the COM2 port
To reset your RM800 to its factory setting, use the "Reset" cursor at the top or click on "Reset for First Use" in the hidden menu
Give it a try, questions and comments are welcome !
* - I have done this "customization" several times with success, but you are doing it on your RM800 under your sole responsibility and it is not supported by Magellan, so if you need to call them on another support issue you will likely need to reset your RM800 to its factory settings, see Note f. above
Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
|15 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
||Posted - 14 avr. 2011 : 16:21:27
How to access Windows CE 4.2 with a Magellan RoadMate 700.
||Posted - 22 mars 2011 : 20:59:38
Don't have that handy and I certainly wouldn't use these files as you risk bricking your 6000T! The 6000T was pretty close from the 3000T is memory serves, can't remember if it had been customized though.
||Posted - 22 mars 2011 : 20:06:52
I successfully access the hidden menu of my RoadMate 6000T with your help but when I turn off the gps it go to menu origin navigator how make way go directly to wince.
continued : could someone pass me the files
because the link is of and I wanted to install on my RoadMate 6000
||Posted - 04 juin 2010 : 22:03:18
Update to my above post, I received m 2nd RM800 today. It would not power up and had a bad DC port. It was a simple solder repair but still wont power up. I took the HD out of it and put it in the other RM800 I mention before that says no map data. I see now the maps or HD are married to the units themselves; now I get "MAP not authorized" message. I can now also get into the menus but after a few minutes the system locks up and i have to reset. I find when I go to the hidden CE menu as per the 1st post the unit does not lock up and works good seeing the HD's.
Is there a way to bypass the security so this HD will work on this unit or should I try and unlock/run other nav apps?
EDIT: I got one of the 800's working that still had maps, the 2nd one just needs maps, I will post results if I find a resolution.
||Posted - 01 juin 2010 : 20:57:23
OK folks, I just got a RM800 today used. It boots to a "No map data on HD, contact cust support" screen. I have a RM760 and RM700, are the maps the same? If not try the maps from another 800 on the way if its not trashed? Also I been lookng for the maps for a RM300/360 if anyone has them. Thank you
||Posted - 20 mai 2010 : 10:56:45
But in truth I know for a fact that the RoadMate 800 is changed or there
you install other navigation software such as 700 or 760 ...
||Posted - 19 mai 2010 : 15:38:21
I would think if you can unlock and get to win ce as sown on page 1 of this thread you should be able to run another nav app with the same screen resolutions. I recently picked up a RM 360, 700 & 760 but havent seen how to get to ce on them yet. If I run across a RM800 will give it a shot
||Posted - 17 mai 2010 : 18:45:00
its a nice old unit but it must be a dead end, nobody responds with any help!
||Posted - 17 mai 2010 : 16:21:04
I know it's late, but there are maps to fit the Magellan RoadMate 800?
or need to change browser?
||Posted - 28 janv. 2010 : 18:57:18
i ran into the 800 info and it sounds(old), but capable.
is anyone continuing with this forum.
a friend wants a low cost gps and i thought this may be fun for him
any suggestions? go/nogo??
||Posted - 06 déc. 2009 : 23:00:34
Hello my Friend
Can you upload the file to a file hoster?
My Russian is not sufficient for a registration to this forum
I am from Germany and my English spelling is not Perfect!
Many Thanks in Advance!
||Posted - 13 nov. 2009 : 15:00:18
This is solution in case if you accidentally deleted TNShell.exe or TNCommander.exe or both from "my flash disk" as I did. The solution is modded Setup.mgup. I have changed the path inside this file and setup.exe will copy all files instead to HDD to "my flash disk". It work fine!
1. Unzip all here in one folder
2. Take a SDHC card format it and copy incide both files from CopyFiles-to-SDHC.rar.
3. Open folder COPY_FILES. Inside have 2 files. This is actually a launcher and the settings file. It must have name TNCommander.exe, because the setup will execute it at the final. Check the path to your SD card in TNCommander.ini
4. Attach RM800 to your pc, connect to USB, run setup.exe and follow the instructions.
When all finished you can access again the hidden menu with + + - - + - and to restore all files in "my flash disk".
The file is here:
||Posted - 07 nov. 2009 : 03:37:05
hi,i have a magellan roadmate 800 and can not afford map updates..
i have updated to CE4.2 and wondered if any free map software
could be used..my dad asked if any lake maps could be used also..
when i did the update and auto hide menu bar i can't get it to come back
up..the 800 is kind of hard to figure out..making pio is way hard and hope
there is a better way than lonitude latitude..any advise or help would
||Posted - 10 juil. 2009 : 18:48:28
Does anyone know of a way to update the maps or install a different set of navigation software? As you are all well aware, Magellan doesn't sell maps for this anymore, and there is so much road construction around here that the GPS is wrong more than it's right.
TomTom doesn't seem to work on WindowsCE, and i've searched around and can't find any WindowsCE based mapping software. I would even pay for something if anyone know of some SW that would work.
Also, after using the hack posted in the first post, i'm having the same problem as other people of getting back to the nav screen without the task bar showing. You can edit the registry and have the taskbar hidden, but it still takes up about 3 pixels on the bottom of the screen.
This is such a great hardware device, it's sad that Magellan has let the software languish.
||Posted - 16 sept. 2008 : 17:38:27
do a Hard_Reset !
|This page was generated in 0,56 seconds.