Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1952

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Acquiring satellites problem on nüvi
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

NanaimoRick

Canada
7636 Posts

Posted - 17 mars 2009 :  14:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irviner

Just out of curiosity, what do you charge for a replacement board?

Sparcnet has a repair quote page on his website at http://www.sharc.net/gps_repair_request_utility.htm

It maybe better to deal with him directly than through this forum.

Thanks

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 17 mars 2009 14:51:15
Go to Top of Page

SHARCNET

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 17 mars 2009 :  15:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[ED - Deleted at the request of the user]
Go to Top of Page

Irviner

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2009 :  06:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I didn't know about that page and for some reason, I cannot email members.

Won't happen anymore.

Thanks for the link.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7636 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2009 :  14:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, glad we could help.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

publicpersona

21 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2009 :  02:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 680, after being upgraded to 4.70, now goes into "Acquiring Satellites" each and every time it is powered up, and it takes 10-15 minutes to become ready to navigate. It eventually does and has no problem until the next time it is powered down. This started when I upgraded. It is mounted in the same place it has always been, and for two years, I never experienced this sort of consistent problem.

Any ideas? Is it possible to downgrade?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2009 :  13:26:43  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is lots of existing info posted here on downgrading, but first try a full reset and then let it sit with an unobstructed view of the sky to re-acquire sats for as long as it takes, uninterrupted. This may clear out corrupt sat location data.

I'm running 4.70 with no issues and do not believe there is any such bug in that version.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 20 mars 2009 13:28:51
Go to Top of Page

publicpersona

21 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2009 :  22:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I did a hard reset after doing a backup. Cleared all user data. It did not clear my Favorites as I expected but that's a good thing.

It acquired satellites very quickly after that .. probably less than a minute. I hope that means it will every time.
Go to Top of Page

John

2 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2009 :  10:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, if anybody can help with the problem I face with nuvi 670:
The navigation icon is outside the road most of the time. when I turn the unit off and on again, it will show the correct position on the map. but after a while, the vehicle icon deviates again !!
I contacted garmin, they said I have to pay $250 and they will replace the unit for me. That's why if someone can assist me before paying these guys $250.
I tried the reset option(hold finger on the screen while turning on the unit), I tried to reinstall the software upgrade of 4.7. I tried to reinstall the map (thought the map is not well referenced), but non of them work. I contacted Garmin again asking if I can format the unit and send me the procedure, they said they don't advise! Here I come to you for help...Thanks
My computer skills is limited
Go to Top of Page

uconn husky

93 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2009 :  12:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My skills are probably lower than yours---so no tech help from me (but from my prior experience these knowledgeable guys will help you quickly). In the event that your unit is not capable of being fixed though - I'd consider buying new before getting a discontinued, refurbished unit from Garmin. I notice that Costco.com has the Nuvi 780 for $249.

Edited by - uconn husky on 22 mars 2009 12:34:31
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2009 :  14:40:18  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ John:

Welcome to the forum.

Did you post in this topic because you believe it is a satellite problem? If so, what is your sat screen telling you - IOW, how many sats, what estimated accuracy, etc. when the icon is off the road? Also, how are your preferences/avoidances set, especially off-road vs. on?

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

John

2 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2009 :  17:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dan...
I really don't know what the problem is with the unit. The preferences are right, I have good satellite coverage, I have another unit etrex vista Hcx and I use both of the units: one to go offroad and nuvi on the highways. I compare both units at the same time and nuvi navigation icon (blue car)sometimes is on the road of the map and sometimes is off the road on the map, baring on mind that I am still driving on the same road. I swich the unit off and on again, and the blue car is back on the road again. this malfunction is not there on the etrex vista. and driving a while, again the same problem appear. Garmin changed the antenna for me, it worked well for a day. the next day the same problem reappeared. so frankly speaking, no idea what is the cause!
Go to Top of Page

patssfan

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 avr. 2009 :  02:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I stumbled on to this forum this weekend and thanks for some of the information. I might have found some sort of solution. I don't know if it's a fix or temporary. I too own a 660 nuvi. I purchased in late 2006 I think. Anyway I started having cut outs last month while in Toledo Ohio up to Detroit on a business trip. I hadn't used the GPS since that trip. So this past weekend. total loss of satellites and the standard 'searching for satellites.

Upon the suggestions here, I did the hard resets, soft resets a few times to no avail. Anyway, got home hooked up the GPS and downloaded the software (now ver 4.7). still nothing. I did another hard reset...nothing. I did read about sharcnet's suggestion of using a wire to see if the external antenna would work. So I did this. took a piece of 14 gauge multi strand, used a single strand and got the satellites back in my unit. I took the wire out and the flip antenna seems to be working again. I don't know if this will last, but in a fixed spot (driveway), turning the unit on and off it's working again. the length of wire is only about 6". I will be testing the GPS this coming week on my next business trip. For me, there is no time to purchase an Gillson aftermarket antenna and Best Buy no longer carries the garmin version.

Maybe the software or whatever is cannot lock the new satellite information on it's own, but needs a primer using an external antenna or wire.

So to summarize

1) Performed the hard reset where the unit is 'zombied' thinking the location is in Kansas
2) Went to Garmin's website and loaded the latest software ver.4.7
3) After download, re-performed a hard reset. The first one may not be necessary.
4) Used 14 gauge 6" wire, using one thread (don't touch the outer sleve on the antenna input with any of the other strands)
5) As Sharcnet mentioned, bars should slowly start appearing and eventually fill
6) The result of this, I am assuming is that the corrupted satellite information has been replaced.

Let's hope this sticks.

Good luck

PL
Go to Top of Page

ernesas

Argentina
9 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2009 :  19:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irviner... did you try to fix replacing burned diode ?

Have success ?
Go to Top of Page

cmhor

Malaysia
2 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2009 :  12:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I wish to share my experience with the Nuvi 255W.

I have encountered the problem of lost satellite signals while travelling. It happened to me several times per day and continuously for few weeks. I had returned the unit to the agent, he said he could not replicate my problem and claimed that nothing is wrong with my unit. He commented that may be the special coating on my windscreen could be the cause.

Subsequently, by paying attention on the behavior of the satellite signals bars while travelling, I found the real culprit to be the relative strength of the radio stations. I mount my Nuvi over the aircon vent in the center of my dashboard, located directly above my radio. After starting my car and successfully acquired the satellite, I have several full bars on my screen. Whenever, I switched on to a particular radio station, the satellite signals would dropped immediately and eventually the reception is lost. However, if I were to switch to another radio station before the satellite reception is totally lost, the signals bars will be restored to their original strength.

Hence, from my experience I conclude that:

(1) certain radio frequency inside the car does interfere with the satellite reception of the Nuvi.

(2) certain brands of windscreen coating will also impede the ability of the Nuvi in receiving satellite signals.

(3) presence of tall buildings and trees do affect the performance of the Nuvi.

(4) once, the satellite reception is lost, you will need to stop your car by the road side and restart the Nuvi inorder to re-aquire the satellite within a short interval.

(5) if after losing your satellite reception and you still travel on the road at crusing speed, you will only re-aquire the satellite after a long time. Sometime, you will not be able to re-aquire your satellite at all, unless you stop your car.

Hope this is useful to some of you.
Go to Top of Page

dequardo

255 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2009 :  13:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very interesting. I had the exact same thing happen (#'s 4 and 5)with several 2x5 models in my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. Indeed #4 was he only way back to a signal and a non-starter for me as to being feasible. No Magellan I used and no Xx0 Garmins did this.

Numbers 2 and 3 of course are known issues and outside the scope of this phenomenon.

People would tell me of all sorts of possible ideas, fixes, etc. but none worked. Curious as to which make/model of vehicle you are seeing this on.

I've since gone to a 2007 version of the same car with zero issues so far on a 255W. (Though I recently sold it and am using a Mag 1470.)

Edited by - dequardo on 27 avr. 2009 13:33:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05