Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - General
 * Partner Forums *
 [Semsons] Spectec SDIO GPS with Micro SD slot
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

semsons

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2007 :  00:14:09  Show Profile  Visit semsons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spectec SDG-810 is a SDIO GPS Receiver with Micro SD expansion slot. It can support memory capacity up to 2GB, and our package ships 512MB Micro SD pre-installed.

With the latest SiRF III technology, it offers fast time-to-fix and great tracking performance. PPC 2003SE, WM5, and Palm driver are now available.

Note: There seem to be some issues with Palm driver under OS/5. We have requested Spectec engineer to look into this issue. Please do not purchase SDG-810 if you intend to use it with Palm OS/5 device at this time. If you have purchased SDG-810 for Palm devices and can't get it to work, please feel free to contact us and arrange either replacement or refund.

http://www.semsons.com/return-policy.html#RMA%20Request

http://www.semsons.com/sp2sdgpsrewi.html

Edited by - semsons on 11 févr. 2007 04:23:27

Ads

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2007 :  01:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, this is one cool item!

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Moris

87 Posts

Posted - 30 janv. 2007 :  11:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one. It was quite easy to install on my PDA, but I am not very happy with the performance. A bit too slow with my software. Hopefully it is only problem with the maps I am using.
I would appreciate any comments on this unit.

Edited by - Moris on 30 janv. 2007 11:46:31
Go to Top of Page

semsons

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2007 :  22:28:27  Show Profile  Visit semsons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you had chance to install the latest driver from Spectec website? It was released last week and should provide a better performance.

http://60.248.111.19/DOWNLOAD/gps/Spectec-GPS.rar

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2007 :  03:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Moris, is your software faster when you run it from an SD card, as opposed to the mini-SD card + Spectec SDG-810 ?

Can the Spectec SDG-810 affect the performance of the mini-SD card?

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

CARlitos1255

10 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2007 :  14:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just installed an SDG 810 in my iPaq H1930, the "GPS Viewer" scanning detects the GPS in COM4 @9600 bauds but no signal of satellites arrives to my iPaq. I did several hw resets but to no avail. I don't know if I'm missing something. My only deviation from the Spectec extremly short manual (16 pages, mostly screenshots and little text) is that I erased the microSD because it contained and autorun program which made my iPaq hang-up. I don't know if there was some "intelligence" in it.
I've asked for help to Spectec as their Web page doesn't have much info. In the meantime can anybody give me a hint?
Go to Top of Page

Moris

87 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2007 :  14:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have downloaded the new driver but after installing it on my PDA the software I was using (GPS Viewer) did not recognize the GPS.
Marvin, the GPS Viewer I had installed on the default memory and it was quite ok but still not as fast (watching the signal from satellites and time) as another BT receiver though.
The mapping software is installed on the micro card and is still slow comparing to other not SD GPSr. I checked it on two different PDAs but the same results. No idea why. Any comments more than welcome.
Carlitos, I also had to spend some time before the first lock. Try again in the open air with clear sky view. Do you get any stream (NMEA)?
Go to Top of Page

CARlitos1255

10 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2007 :  20:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moris, I almost got a cold trying to catch satellite signal at night in the nearby fields for 1 hour (short of ET image!) to no avail.
I have 2 hypothesis:
a) Sw problem: something is missing or not compatible with our PPC (in the Spected web the OS is announced as WM5 (mine is 4.21)
b) The device is faulty
I keep waiting for a consisten "technical support". As the 1st reply they gave sounds strange to me: " turn off GPS Viewer as it interfers with the GPS" I retorted how I could then check the device works?...
Go to Top of Page

Moris

87 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2007 :  06:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried to reinstall the new driver which semsons kindly posted above?
Although I do not think this will resolve your problem. But worth trying. Please let me know if you could find com port after reinstalling.
I was trying it on my O2 mini (WM 2003 2nd Edition) and iPAQ hx 2190 (WM 5.0) and I could get the lock on both.
Go to Top of Page

DaleWyckoff

2 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2007 :  17:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trouble in Paradise.

I'm a Palm T-3 user and I ordered one of these through Semsons on the first. Great price, prompt delivery. I received it yesterday. The CD it came with does not include documentation nor drivers for PalmOS devices. Semsons does have a download link for these things.

My problem is the drivers and documentation related to PalmOS 4.x and do not work on my PalmOS 5 device. The documentation wants you to connect to ARSDIOSerial, which should be installed via the drivers. However, under PalmOS 5 this option is not available. So I'm not able to create the connection I need for my SDG-810 to work.

I e-mailed tech support yesterday, but no response as yet.

Dale
Go to Top of Page

CARlitos1255

10 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2007 :  20:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the below reply from Spected:
"GPS Viewer is used for scanning the correct com port and baud rate.
When GPS Viewer detecting Com 4, it means GPS Viewer is now using Com 4 to receive the satellite signal.
However, Com 4 can not be used for more than two applications (like GPS Viewer & SDG-810 driver) at the same time.
So, after detecting Com 4 is the right one should be chose, you have to close the GPS viewer application.
Then, you can start using SDG-810 driver.
Otherwise SDG-810 driver can not receive the satellite signal through Com 4 since Com 4 is used by GPS Viewer already."
But to me is not consistent: a driver is not an application so I cannot see if the device is working unless I connect GPS Viewer or the like (Tom-Tom, Ozi, etc)am I correct?
As Moris says this looks more like a hardware problem.
Go to Top of Page

Moris

87 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2007 :  12:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carlitos, have you tried to reinstall the new driver?
I did, and now my PDA cannot find the GPS at all.
Go to Top of Page

CARlitos1255

10 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2007 :  19:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moris,
Yes, I tried and it didn't work neither but it still may be due to the hw problem.
As I commented somewhere above, I wonder whether the new driver is prepared for Window Movile 5 (look at the print out in the box)and thus with some incompatibility issue with previous versions...
I managed to arrange the return of my sdg810 to Spected and am waiting for replacement. In the meantime a friend of mine said something that could be of help: it seems that there is a sw for gps based on Sirf chips which would allow anyone to send NMEA sentences such as "factory reset" to the device. This would be a way to undo the wrong doing and to restart with the original setting. Unfortunately I don't know the name of such sw. May be Google + another hint of some of the pals in this forum can help
Go to Top of Page

LEXMAN

3 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2007 :  14:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaleWyckoff

Trouble in Paradise.

I'm a Palm T-3 user and I ordered one of these through Semsons on the first. Great price, prompt delivery. I received it yesterday. The CD it came with does not include documentation nor drivers for PalmOS devices. Semsons does have a download link for these things.

My problem is the drivers and documentation related to PalmOS 4.x and do not work on my PalmOS 5 device. The documentation wants you to connect to ARSDIOSerial, which should be installed via the drivers. However, under PalmOS 5 this option is not available. So I'm not able to create the connection I need for my SDG-810 to work.

I e-mailed tech support yesterday, but no response as yet.

Dale

I am a Palm Tungsten E2 user (PALM OS 5) and bought the Spectec GPS SDG-810 through semsons and have the same problems as decribed above. So far no reply from Spectec nor a working PALM OS driver from
http://www.spectec.com.tw/Download.htm#gps. Does anyone else have the same problem ? Anyone with a solution ? Please respond and unite ??

---lexman---
Go to Top of Page

CARlitos1255

10 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2007 :  16:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Lexman
Unfortunately it seems there is general mess with drivers for Spected SDG810.

Their technical support is zero, their web is pitiful and their manual not more than a few unncessary screenshots and obvious texts.

It would be nice that someone representing Spected would pop in and say something.

Any potential buyer should think it over and wait for the conclusion of these stories before placing and order.
Go to Top of Page

LEXMAN

3 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2007 :  17:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Carlitos,
at least i am not the only one who feels deceived. Spectec should come with an answer regarding the SDG810 Drivers for Palm OS5. The seem to have big marketing strategies because every salespoint is repeating the same stories like *great, amazing etcetera" . There are some big postings on fora as well, coming from the same salespoints, and overenthousiastic messengers from Spectec. But where are the good stories from the users or buyers ? I should have known better...

I hope the drivers will be soon available. There are many more GPS user-fora to unite (potential) costumers......So people wait until proper drivers are available and proved their suitability on your PDA before buying any SDG810 !!!

---lexman---
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05