Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2221

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 4.71 PPC Navcard - "Evolution"
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2006 :  23:50:26  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, LW,

Try Quick Menu from the Tools menu. Does it look like the same old menu? If so, you're not quite running what the rest of us here are. (Links on the front page.) :-)

Lamar

Airstream travel trailers are round on both ends.
Go to Top of Page

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  00:13:01  Show Profile
Ok, I see what you're talking about now. I didn't see it as a rotating menu simply because I rarely go to the quick menu. While the quick menu buttons are fairly finger friendly, the menu's underneath them really aren't.

(Somehow when I heard "rotating" I assumed something circular)

Steve

quote:
Originally posted by lamar@mapopolis.com

Hi, LW,

Try Quick Menu from the Tools menu. Does it look like the same old menu? If so, you're not quite running what the rest of us here are. (Links on the front page.) :-)

Lamar

Steve
Garmin Nuvi 750, 3760LTM and Zumo 660.
Formerly Nuvi 350 and Axim x51v with Mapopolis and bluetooth receiver.
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2006 :  01:32:12  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Well, here's a thought from nowhere. It looks like everybody and their cousin are going to have "finger friendly" graphical menus. Gee! I'm beginning to think that finger-friendly rotating ADAPTIVE, LEARNING menu might be a nice distinguishing feature.

Hey, if we wanted to look like TomTom, it would look like TomTom. :-)

On edit: LW, if you loop all the way through, it should come back to where it started. It's circular in that respect.

Lamar

Edited by - lamar@mapopolis.com on 07 nov. 2006 01:33:45
Go to Top of Page

jgoggan

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 10 nov. 2006 :  15:20:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lamar@mapopolis.com
* Conventional handhelds are DEAD.

* Palm is not dead yet, but they are moving toward Windows Mobile. A friend there told me to look for some high-end devices running Windows, too. Gee, I took that to mean something like the LifeDrive, but he may have been talking about Treos.

Don't these two conflict really? I'm simply curious about Palm's plans. I mean, we see everyone dropping out of the PocketPC market -- as you said, it appears to be dead or at least dying. But then we have Palm moving toward Windows Mobile -- with their recent 700w, for example.

It seems odd to me that everyone else is deciding that there isn't a market any more for PocketPC running Windows Mobile -- except for their one big competitor that is moving TO that platform...

- John...

---
Dell Axim X51v (WM5); Mapopolis (v4.x); SanDisk 512MB SD; Seidio G4850S Car Mount w/ integrated SIRF Star III GPSr.
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2006 :  16:20:39  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, John,

Sort of, yes. But hasn't Palm made some really ODD Treo design decisions for Windows Mobile?

They started with the Pocket PC model, put the Palm "touch" on the face of the OS, and then released an underpowered device with insufficient memory. It was a commitment to the O.S., but it was not really a strong rush out the door.

So I don't know if that's what I'd call "high end." I think there are two major factors at work here - some organizitions simply don't use Palm OS devices - having a WM device gives Palm an entry there. The other is that Palm OS is getting long in the tooth, and it can't easily do, without jumping through some hoops, all the things we think high-end devices need to do now.

Actually, I did say "conventional handhelds." To me that's a non-phone device. Converged devices are not dead, but who knows how much further they'll go in the current type of split we have now. HP's converged devices look like PDAs, as did the SX-66. The Cingular 8125, on the other hand, is a miniaturized Pocket PC/phone with a full suite of high-end features, and the price tag for it, too.

My crystal ball is no less murky that the next guy's, but I do see our handhelds turning into phones and getting smaller in the future. How small? I can't guess, but I think the 8125 points the way.

Lamar

Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2006 :  18:06:26  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage
I am using the future device since a while. It's called iPAQ 6828.

While the performance may not be that good the size of the unit is just about perfect.

The next big battle will be between the thumbboard lovers and the thumbboard haters. or maybe the thumbboard haters will just die of old age and "the youth" will not know different.

Finally, after many years, texting/SMS is coming to the New World.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2006 :  20:27:54  Show Profile
I purchased the PalmOS NavCard some time ago. I am now going to move to a Windows Mobile phone (a Cingular 8525). Is there any Windows Mobile viewer available that can use the maps that shipped with the original NavCard? It seems Evolution is a hybrid in between NavCard and Navigator products but i am unclear if it can use the NavCard maps that I already have.
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2006 :  17:26:42  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, Lutz,

I had a chance to handle a Motorola Q recently. I found the thumbboard to be pretty reasonable. In fact, it's almost as good as my Tungsten C. I see no reason why devices can't have a decently shaped and spaced thumbpad AND a block recognizer and touch screen.

Hi, Enrique,

Wow, that's a tough one to answer. Athough we do plan to port the NavCard to Windows Mobile, there's no guarantee that we won't need to tweak the map format slightly. In other words, there's no guarantee at all that the maps from a standard Palm NavCard can be converted to a Windows Mobile NavCard, and I have no idea when we'll find that out.

Lamar

Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2006 :  21:03:26  Show Profile
Are the maps for the standard Navigator product different between OS platform? I also bought a set of European maps and remember having to select the OS (Palm at the time). Can I just download a PocketPC viewer and continue using those maps? I don't think there have been any updates since I purchased them in early 2005.

Also, what's the ETA for the Windows Mobile NavCard US. I would rather switch software than have to put up with manual map management! It's terrible to have to use manual management with the European maps.

Edited by - Enrique Muyshondt on 17 nov. 2006 21:06:37
Go to Top of Page

SirElmo

11 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2006 :  22:25:45  Show Profile
After taking a break from geocaching, I tried using this new version when I was heading out, but had some problems with the maplets. In the non-SD card version, I would create a maplet file with GPXToMaplet and put it in the My Document folder and Mapopolis would find it with no problem. However, when I tried setting it up with the SD card version, I could never get it to find the maplet file. I tried putting it in the same directory as the landmarks file and even renamed it the landmarks2.mlp based on another message I saw earlier in the thread, but no luck. Does this version even work with extra maplet files? I could figure out how to tell the program where to look or even load it.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2006 :  09:28:01  Show Profile
Hi SirElmo, you can use your own Maplets with the Evolution version.

You must put the maplets into the same folder as the country/state etc you are using.

I.E. In standard 4.71 I had a separate folders...
MajorRoads
England
Wales
Scotland
Italy
France
MLP

In Evolution I now have
_MRM (As instructed)
England (This contains Wales, Scotland and MLP files)
Italy (Italian MLP files are moved to here)
France (French MLP files are moved to here)

That way when I select England all my English maps and MLP's are selected together. When I switch region to France or Italy then the appropriate MLP's are loaded for each region.

In the program folder I have LANDMARKS1.MLP and this contains all my family, friends, places etc for all regions.

So I would suggest call your MLP file something else and drop this into the appropriate region's folder.

Hope this helps

Dell Axim X51v, Orange C550, Holux GPSlim 236
Go to Top of Page

SirElmo

11 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2006 :  16:53:53  Show Profile
Thanks Dr. Finally got that to work. After putting the file in the area, had to reload the maps for the program to find it.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2006 :  21:26:11  Show Profile
It appears that the maps do expire after 10 days even when used with the NavCard version of Mapopolis. What happen after 10 days? Can I download again to get another 10 days of testing time?

Thanks,
mg
Go to Top of Page

gdio53

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  16:08:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mgaitonde

It appears that the maps do expire after 10 days even when used with the NavCard version of Mapopolis. What happen after 10 days? Can I download again to get another 10 days of testing time?

Thanks,
mg

Downloading the same maps will not get you any additional testing time.
Go to Top of Page

Doulos_Iesou

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2006 :  00:19:51  Show Profile
Lamar,

Thanks for the helpful post. I have implemented the Evolution workaround and find it quite helpful.

I have one question. Do Ineed a copy of the MRMs in the "_MRM" folder and the individual state folders or can I delete the MRMs in the state folders?

Tks,

Michael

Tks,
Michael
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05