Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2295

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Smartphone GPS
 GPS on Smartphones
 [TOPIC] Nokia N95 Smartphone with GPS - Reviewed
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 18 mai 2008 :  21:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 4 is the 4th version for the N95. It has an 8 GB non upgradable internal memory. I appreciate the info. I was thinking of using the N95 as a replacement for the larger Nuvi 650 that I have, it's a bit of a nuisance to carry around. If the signal level is even less than my Etrex, well...it's a no brainer.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94027 Posts

Posted - 18 mai 2008 :  21:25:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it's going to depend on your usage pattern, on foot you'll be disappointed compared to your eTrex, too bad because this is where a Smartphone would really be convenient compared to an AIO. For car use gps performance should be ok, but you'll miss the form factor of the 650 I'm sure and the convenience of just dropping it in its mount and heading off!

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 18 mai 2008 :  21:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You hit the nail on the head there. I would want to use it on foot, in the car, it's not a big deal to lug around a bigger unit. The display is also bigger. However, I find that my Nuvi likes to fall down when I use the windshield mount as well. When on foot, I have issues with the Etrex in the "concrete jungle" or under trees because it's not SiRF.

As with all technolodgy, eventually, they'll improve the Smartphones, but it looks like the quality isn't up to my standards/expectations just yet.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94027 Posts

Posted - 27 mai 2008 :  10:42:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the requirement to use a tiny antenna is going to make it hard to get raw GPS performance on par with GPS systems equipped with a 25x25mm patch antenna. Other tricks will be needed like map matching using the footprint of buildings in dense urban areas for instance.

BTW there is an updated GPS performance comparison on the portal http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175&page=8 with an AGPS enabled N95. As expected this has not improved tracking performance.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

lanimal

3 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  15:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

This is my first post here, thanks for this amazing ressource about GPS!

I am planning to go on a trip through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and then Australia.

I am seriously considering the N95 as a GPS with moving JPEG as I believe most of these countries have no maps from commercial editors.
Im not talking the 8Gb version (too expensive) but the N95 (brand new though, I will purchase it from a store)

Now the question I have:
I heard a lot (and I mean a lot) about the N95's early models GPS. Apparantly it's working very well now with the A-GPS but this requires a data connection of any sort to function.

I'd like to know about the performance of a N95 GPS _without_ A-GPS... Is it reliable? Reasonably fast to lock? Or should I forget about the Wifi to make SIP calls when near a hotspot and go for a 6210 Navigator?

Thanks for your help!
Pierre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05