Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 The Future of Mapopolis
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

disconnected

74 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2006 :  22:12:09  Show Profile
It's probably true that PPCs are becoming dinosaurs, but I'll be sorry when they're gone. My iPAQ 4700 (my fifth and longest-lasting PPC) is just about out of its two year warranty, and there's nothing I like as well to replace it with. I'm female, and the IPAQ fits in my purse just fine. I love the 4" VGA screen for reading and I like having two card slots. I don't want a smaller screen or a bigger device. I'm fine with a separate phone that I can use as a modem via bluetooth.

As far as mapping software goes, I'd also hate to have to know the city name -- I haven't seen anything with "city area" so I don't know how flexible that is. I also do not want the software to decide when I should be using it. When my husband and I are in the car together, generally he drives and I navigate. It's certainly safe for me to be changing settings while the car is moving. I can't even see how this would be implemented for something not permanently integrated with a car. What if I'm on a train or in a boat?

As for complaining about new features not being implemented, I was happy with the feature set that existed a couple of years ago (I have no interest in having Mapopolis telling me what time it is or whether it should be dark out, although I'm all in favor of better map handling). What I didn't like was the idea of losing features, like coastlines, that previously existed. I'm still using the NC maps, which are fine except that they're somewhat out of date. Mapopolis would have had a lot more of my money by now if it weren't for that coastline issue.

Edited by - disconnected on 11 sept. 2006 22:13:39
Go to Top of Page

sfhub

156 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2006 :  22:20:58  Show Profile
It's pretty simple actually.

IMO there is a large subset of customers that are ok with *no* new features other than updated maps. There is an even larger subset that want updated maps with the water boundary issue improved.

All the other "features" on peoples's lists have varying importance and to smaller subsets of people.

Lamar has said there will be new maps before the end of the year. I have to assume this will be based on the existing engine, which IMO is acceptable.

I would much rather have updated maps for a relatively stable platform keeping the majority of existing users happy for another 12-18 months, than updated maps requiring a new regional mapping engine which will have instability that is accompanied with any new engine release no matter how good your programmers and testing are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with the "features" you'll likely get with the new engine, but realistic enough to realize I wouldn't want to touch that new engine for stuff I depend on until second release. Beta testing to know where things are headed is different than using it day to day (for me).

And to set the record straight, as previous posters have mentioned, negativism didn't just develop in a vacuum. It developed in response to the priortization Mapopolis has made.

It seems simplistic to feel sending people to this forum would give them an unbalanced exposure to just negative sentiments. First, the negative sentiments are there for a reason, not reading about them is not going to make them go away. Second, often the negative sentiments are accompanied by mitigating factors, workarounds, or analysis of relative importance in the big scheme of things. I think seeing the whole picture is much more valuable to the end-user than seeing something they don't like and feeling helpless enough to give up on a very useful GPS application.

I'm in the boat that I'd be happy with just some updated maps and more than happy with updated maps and water boundary issues alleviated. I now expect the updated maps, but don't expect water boundary issues to be fixed for quite a while (I would guess at least 6months). Mapopolis has told us as much.

I still think it is a great program and I use it daily but Mapopolis controls their priorities and they need to deal with the repercussions, both positive and negative.

Mapopolis seems to have moved away from the incremental improvement and bug fixing model to the gambling philosophy that a new engine will fix the outstanding issues in a more elegant manner and set the product up for the future. If the gamble pays off they will have done really well to outmaneuver larger companies by thinking smarter. If not, and the justifications for the new engine don't work out as they initially looked on powerpoint, this could be a major turning point.

In closing, I hope Mapopolis does well in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

DriveBySignal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2006 :  22:43:13  Show Profile
"this will be a brand new product with a new interface that is not based on the current Navigator viewer, however, future Navigator versions using the regular maps are going to be based on this."

I am very curious about the new interface. I hope it is well-thought out.

"There is a separate effort going to port the program to Windows XP. This coding has already started, too."

This I am inclined to believe this is for the grand UMPC market of the future. It may be a smart move to start coding away!
Lets see what the discussion forum will be like a year from now.
Go to Top of Page

CColtManM

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  02:22:04  Show Profile
It's been almost a week since anyone has posted on these boards, are there any updates to the program or updates to info regarding future programs? ANYTHING PLEASE!
Go to Top of Page

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  02:26:17  Show Profile
We are all waiting with bated breath for word on their present developement efforts ;-)

Steve
Garmin Nuvi 750, 3760LTM and Zumo 660.
Formerly Nuvi 350 and Axim x51v with Mapopolis and bluetooth receiver.
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  18:55:14  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Well, guys, I can tell you that the next viewer release is likely to be the bugfix version of the bugfix version 4.71.05 - yep, we have a couple to fix - which should finally take us to 4.71 on the website.

Lamar

Airstream travel trailers are round on both ends.
Go to Top of Page

TheBum

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  20:56:11  Show Profile
I would ask if there was any progress being made on the Palm version, but I suspect it would be an exercise in futility.

Alan

Palm Tungsten T5
Globalsat BT-338 GPS

The best thing about being a pessimist is that I'm never unexpectantly disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2006 :  01:23:43  Show Profile
Well! No one posting then everyone must be happy. Still running 4.70 on SP5 Smartphone with no problems to report. Something I have done is to make the pop-up screen the same colour as the main screen (day and night) and this gives the effect of always having a full screen in view. Much nicer. I sometimes think Mapopolis puts itself down, it really is a good product, it's very customizable. extremely fast and reliable. The site could do with a re-vamp maybe to bring it up to date with pictures of the latest devices and I'm sure new maps will come along in their own time. That's it.
Go to Top of Page

jarredduq

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2006 :  07:48:17  Show Profile  Visit jarredduq's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DriveBySignal

This I am inclined to believe this is for the grand UMPC market of the future. It may be a smart move to start coding away!
Lets see what the discussion forum will be like a year from now.

I'm looking forward to a UMPC/Windows version of Mapopolis, as I'm currently running Iguidance 3.0. Yes the interface is pretty nice, but the routing engine pales in comparison to Mapopolis.

Link here to see my CarPC: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t12685-carpc-installation-in-07-limited.htm
Go to Top of Page

DriveBySignal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2006 :  19:15:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lamar@mapopolis.com

Well, guys, I can tell you that the next viewer release is likely to be the bugfix version of the bugfix version 4.71.05 - yep, we have a couple to fix - which should finally take us to 4.71 on the website.

Lamar

Just curious. What are those couple of bugs and when will the bugfixed 4.71.05 be released?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

dcrochet

USA
1044 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2006 :  07:43:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DriveBySignal

May be it is time to clarify and summarize. The "long standing" issues of better UI, finger friendly menus (not while driving - but when it is safe!), some hidden routing issues, better map management, map updates etc. are worth pursuing regardless of the "future" platform.
Amen!

quote:
Originally posted by thepcdoctorca
Excelent summary. The negativism comes from us having great hope at the start of the last round of beta testing, only to see none of these features addressed.
Amen!

Most of you that have followed this forum for the past 4 years (or more) would know me as a man with a passion for the success of Mapopolis. I haven’t been active lately because it proved futile as I watched Mapopolis decay relative to other products while they obviously ignored the major issues discussed in this forum. I posted hundreds of times pleading with Mapopolis [management] to listen to the users on several core issues (as some active readers have summarized quite well recently). I just want to say that Mapopolis is fighting for its life today, not because it listened to the users, but because it largely ignored us. Of course that’s entirely Management’s prerogative, but the score is now 55 to 10 in favor of the Users. Management has fumbled or punted on every possession except two: the Smartphone port and the Palm NavCard. They settled for a field-goal from the Palm NavCard because the Palm platform was doomed before the drive began, but it was nonetheless a valiant effort and an impressive drive overall. Otherwise the Users have trounced Management with a superior gameplan, scoring on nearly every drive, as proven in the marketplace by the relative success of competitors using the User’s gameplan precisely. Now, with the company on the line, late in the 4th quarter, Management adopts the Users' gameplan in a complete reversal, just hoping for a score while settling for the defeat overall. But then there’s always next season…or is there?

We’ve seen the GPS landscape literally explode in recent quarters so there’s food scraps for all players, including the benchwarmers nowadays. But it didn’t have to be this way for Mapopolis. It took an extreme arrogance on the part of Management to assume the Users gameplan was afoul. I really hope Mapopolis will succeed now and flourish in the future. But as a mere Cheerleader on the sidelines now, I wonder if Mapopolis is going to be ready for their next game. I really hope so.

And now, back to my normal, Mapopolis-passionate self…
quote:
Originally posted by lamar@mapopolis.com

...I really do think that future mapping applications will somehow lock the driver out of making program adjustments by hand when the vehicle is underway. The obvious answer is voice control of the application.

Yes Lamar, and we’ve discussed this at length in the past. The UI must also follow the users voice commands as visual feedback throughout. This feedback should accommodate the occasional touch-input as well, as necessary to overcome the shortcomings of voice input in various driving environments (open-air; talk radio show; silent sleeping pax; etc.). Perhaps “listen” mode should be invoked with a touch (screen or hardware button) of some kind. Furthermore, the UI should lockout only selected screens and functions that require significant input distraction while moving (the moving threshold should be greater than “0 mph” due to normal GPS drift while sitting still). Otherwise, you’re creating a device which is “safer” than tuning the radio, invoking cruise-control, the wipers, high-beam headlights, etc., for no good reason. Hypocritical safety initiative, which exceeds common prudence involved with normal driving tasks, should not be the objective. And finally, there needs to be a “passenger override mode” such as a stylus-only-sized input mechanism which unlocks the device during movement. Each of these features, including a progressive safety-menu system, and pax-override mechanism, were all included in the old PowerPoint UI posted 3 years ago in this forum:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5435

PowerPoint Viewer

Axim X5 400 A04, PPC2002, Mapopolis 4.71 NAVCARD (NE) old 4.6 routing technique, SiRF3 CF GPS
Go to Top of Page

325xi

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  14:45:33  Show Profile
Just as a side note, please take into account that availability of downloadable maps is a way higher then NavCard. Direct order to Canada will means intl shipping, and some $50 that UPS will take for S&H. So if you don't provide local availablity, your current Canadian customers are likely to go elsewhere...

ASUS a636n with Destinator 6
Go to Top of Page

DriveBySignal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  18:37:02  Show Profile
Glad to see dcrochet back with his insightful and passionate plea to revive mapopolis. Yes, it seems that the management failed to study/listen to market/user cues which has resulted in mapopolis unable to cash in on the current lucrative market - in spite of starting out with a great advantage. Probably is was too much user babble and too few in the management to filter out the chatter and focus on the useful AND too few in the development team to implement anything meaningful. Now, there seems to be a detour to tap the future markets - will it succeed? Hope so...again, it can only if the management is able to have long-term vision and bold enough to hire enough hands to carry out the vision.

I would like to cite another mistake that will make Mapopolis lose even its core users. It gives no $$ incentives to keep its current user-base. If I were to upgrade the maps (even that is being delayed!) I have to pay full price and the competitors products are tantalizingly tempting (same price as Mapopolis upgrade). Get the message? (Am I missing something - I see no incentives to hang on to the current user-base - correct me if I am wrong).

Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  16:42:32  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, DriveBySignal,

Navigator upgrades are handled on a one-by-one basis. Contact Mapopolis for an upgrade offer when the maps are released. I think that some folks here can attest that this works.

dCrochet, it's good to see you around.

I don't have anything new to announce right now, but I can tell you guys that the official, top-down view at our office is that the BEST map management is NO map management.

Lamar

Airstream travel trailers are round on both ends.
Go to Top of Page

thepcdoctorca

Canada
151 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  17:44:53  Show Profile  Visit thepcdoctorca's Homepage
Lamar,

I think was DriveBySignal was reffering to was not what happens when new maps are published shortly after you bought the old ones, even though there should be an official policy on that as well, not just a 'call us and we'll talk' kind of deal.

What DriveBySignal was asking was where is the incentive to stay when you have maps that are older than a year and want to get new maps. It's as expensive to get new maps as it is to get new software.

It's the same deal. Previous customers as well should contact us to get an offer on an upgrade when new maps are released. Existing and previous customers do get preferential treatment.

Lamar

Edited by - lamar@mapopolis.com on 17 oct. 2006 21:26:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05