Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2221

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 User Community
 gps recommendations needed
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

abbadon

15 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2006 :  22:41:20  Show Profile
First, I have read all the GPS fasqs on this site, and read alot of reviews, but thought it best to check the current opinion as of 4/23/06.

I just returned from 2 weeks in euroipe and discovered that the Holux GM-270 was almost completely uselss in my Ipaq 4700. I suppose it's the "Urban Jungle" that made it impossible to get a fix. It would run for hours and at time see the satellites, but not track more than one or two. In the hills of scotland everything was fine, but where i needed it, in the streets of london and amsterdam, it was useless. OK, enough bitching, what is a good upgrade? I was thinking of getting the newer Holux GM-271, being cheap and supposed better, but thought I would ask the expects here first. Is Xtrac2 the keyword I should be looking for? Or should I be looking for the lowest signal strength? Is something rated as -175db pick up a weaker signal than one rated for -150db?

-Ipaq 4715, Mapopolis v4.58,2GB SD, Holux CF GPS-

Edited by - abbadon on 23 avr. 2006 22:55:37

Ads

gpspassion

93945 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2006 :  02:22:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage
Yes, you will see a big difference, SiRFII vs SiRFIII, I tested the 271 here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175&page=3 and it did very well. You can get it from www.semsons;com with 10% off for GpsPasSion Club members ;-)

abbadon

15 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2006 :  22:48:24  Show Profile
Thanks.

semsons asks for a coupon code, what do i put in? i can't seem to figure it out. thanks.

-Ipaq 4715, Mapopolis v4.58,2GB SD, Holux CF GPS-
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93945 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2006 :  22:51:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage
Well you put in the code I give you via email when you join the Club ;-) (see link in my signature below)

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  07:29:35  Show Profile
Hi there, could I also ask for some advice as well please

My trusty old TomTom BT GPS has died I like the look of the new SiRF III but thats not all I am looking for.

My old TomTom also has a car cradle just for the GPS and this is connected to the car's 12v system so when you turn the key it switches the GPS on and also charges the unit then when you take the key out it switches the GPS off. Nice arrangement as this means I can keep the cradle/GPS out of sight.

So I am looking for a new GPS unit which does not have to be SiRF III but I would prefer a unit with some form of power on/power off controlled by the car's 12v system.

I know the new TomTom GPS has an optional cradle which does just this but as I understand the new TomTom GPS is not all that good, so I was hoping you guys could recommend a nice new GPS unit

Many thanks in advance.

Orange C550, TomTom BT GPS
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  19:03:17  Show Profile
I got a simple solution: I got the Holux GPSlim236 (oops, gotta update my autosignature). I removed the battery and kept it on permanently. When there's power on the car it's running, when I turn off power, it stops. This was exactly what you asked for, yes

I hardly ever remove the GPS receiver from the car, but just in case I occasionally (like every 2-3 months) insert the battery again while going for a longer drive, just to keep it charged in case...

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  21:39:44  Show Profile
Thanks AllanHvass I will take a look at that one. I was considering the I-Blue as this looks like it can be left plugged in and on standby permanently and only actually wakes up when is use but as I understand its not SiRFIII.

But thanks anyway any other suggestions anyone

Orange C550, TomTom BT GPS
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93945 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  21:42:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage
Not SiRFIII and while tracking is now very good, time to first fix isn't quite as fast or consistent as SiRF so if you plan on using it in urban settings, you might be better off with a SSIII receiver.

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2006 :  08:01:05  Show Profile
Hi AlanHvass and just Gpspassion.

Just to let you guys know I did some searching and I have found a number of other people doing exactly the same thing with the GPSlim 236 (there's even a post in a different forum on Gpspassion) so I decided to go for that model £55 including VAT and delivery.

Thanks guys

Orange C550, no GPS :-(
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93945 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2006 :  16:23:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage
Doing what sorry ?

jgoggan

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2006 :  17:58:48  Show Profile
Just to note it, I recently picked up a Seidio mount for my Axim X51v and I love it! Check SeidioOnline.com for details and various models for various PDAs. It comes in a couple of mount options -- I'm using the large suction cup with the 9" arm and it seems very secure.

I am using the G4850S mount -- which has an integrated SIRF Star III chipset. The short times to acquire a lock are amazing! It comes with a cigarette adapter power plug -- but you can buy a "wire it in" cable if you want to wire it directly into your vehicle's power system (which is what I'm doing). Charges the unit also, of course.

The mount is tight enough that I can turn it sideways if I want a landscape view for a passenger to watch a movie or something. Also has a built-in amplified speaker (you have to connect a short cable (included) from your GPS to the mount to use it). Works great if you want Mapopolis (or that movie) to be louder!

I don't work for Seidio -- just a happy customer. I had my Dad buy one too I liked them so much (although he uses a CF GPS, so he got the mount without the integrated receiver).

- John...

---
Dell Axim X51v (WM5); Mapopolis (v4.x); SanDisk 512MB SD; Seidio G4850S Car Mount w/ integrated SIRF Star III GPSr.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2006 :  21:25:15  Show Profile

quote:
Originally posted by Gpspassion

Doing what sorry ?

Just what AlanHvass said, taking out the battery and connecting the device to an ignition controlled power supply.

See here...

I have found other people doing the same on other forums with the GPSlim 236

Orange C550, no GPS :-(
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93945 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2006 :  00:49:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage
Ah ok, got it ;-)

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  21:52:55  Show Profile
Hi AllanHvass just wanted to say my GPSlim 236 arrived today, its a nice tidy unit and it works very well

Thanks

Orange C550, Holux GPSlim 236
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  22:02:17  Show Profile
You're welcome

I'm not sure Ris will approve - he can probably look forward to a new series of bug reports for the latest beta now that you can actually take Mapopolis out for a spin

(Just joking, there's hardly any bugs left).

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, Holux GPSlim-236, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2006 :  12:46:38  Show Profile
LOL Oh No! Rocco has a GPS again! I better duck for cover while the bugs start flying

But seriously, that's great. I'm glad you're back in business.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05