Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2246

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 PPC 4.71 "Fanfare" back up
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

JakeRich

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  15:24:18  Show Profile
CColtManM, what version of the software? What PDA are you using? What version of the Maps? It sounds like you have the Platinum maps, not the Navigator maps, but it's hard to tell without more details.
Go to Top of Page

CColtManM

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  19:41:12  Show Profile
I am using the new 4.71.04 beta, and my dad when he had his problem was using the .03 beta i belive.

I am using an iPAQ rx3115, and have NEVER had this problem in the last year and a half that i've been using Mapopolis. I have the Navigator maps, i'm sure of it, and they are the 07 version, which is the 2005 maps i belive.

I just tested it again today on a smaller trip from county to county, same problem. I will uninstall, and reinstall Mapopolis and a few maps later today.
Go to Top of Page

joshua362

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  20:01:34  Show Profile
Long shot - any chance that you have a hard key mapped to turn on/off "active guidence" and its being pushed by mistake or by another program? That would stop the routing.

Dell x50v, WM2003SE, 1GB CF & SD, Garmin BT GPS10, 4.71.03 beta
Go to Top of Page

joshua362

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  20:42:47  Show Profile
Ris - is there anyway to point the debug.txt file to accumulate to SD, CF or BIS instead of main memory? I made a 9mb file in less than 40 minutes yesterday and the Dell's need every ounce of main memory available to run smooth. I am determined to help you find the cause of this. Of course, I delete the file after every trip without a crash. Regards, Joshua.

Dell x50v, WM2003SE, 1GB CF & SD, Garmin BT GPS10, 4.71.04 beta, NGC / 07 Maps
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2006 :  04:19:32  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage
This is a bit of a conflict. You have to take into account that the file gets written to very often. It has the potential to damage the flash.

Of course this is a moot point in WM5 but you're using SE.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

gst0098

11 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2006 :  10:21:56  Show Profile
Hi, I have problem with smartphone version 4.71.04 and i-mate sp3 (qtek 8010), mapopolis does not find the voice files, are this files supposed to be copied in some special folder ?

G.
Go to Top of Page

joshua362

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2006 :  16:47:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lbendlin

This is a bit of a conflict. You have to take into account that the file gets written to very often. It has the potential to damage the flash.

Of course this is a moot point in WM5 but you're using SE.

Lutz

Thanks for the info, I withdraw the question. Looking at the file, its clear that that its written to many times a second (maybe 10) - I never knew it could damage a flash but I know they are slow to write to.

BTW Ris, I sent off a debug file with a crash this morning.

Regards, Joshua

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2006 :  20:22:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gst0098

Hi, I have problem with smartphone version 4.71.04 and i-mate sp3 (qtek 8010), mapopolis does not find the voice files, are this files supposed to be copied in some special folder ?

G.

Mapopolis should be able to find the voice files anywhere on the device (except for the \temp\ directory which is never scanned for any file). If it has not found the voice files by default, then go to the Sound Settings window and hit the Refresh command. This will cause Mapopolis to rescan the entire device for voice files. The voice file locations should be remembered so that this step is only required once and the problem remains fixed afterwards.

Best Regards,
Ris

Project Manager for Windows Mobile Platforms
Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code; C Code Run; Run Code Run; Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2006 :  20:39:58  Show Profile
About the diagnostic version and its debug log...

It's unfortunate that it has the Windows Mobile faux-pas known as "small writes" which is going to cause wear on the flash, potentially trigger the "compaction thread", and otherwise drag the performance of the system down to a rather slow pace while it writes ten times (or sometimes more) to this file every second. It's unfortunate that it has to stay that way to remain useful. The small writes are necessary to make sure the latest information is recorded in the file prior to a crash. The alternative is to save up the writes in an internal memory buffer and dump it to the file 100k at a time (or ideally exactly one flash block size at a time) but then the critical information would be lost in that buffer in the case of a crash, when the whole point is to record that data to a log file in a way that will persist past a software crash, and small writes like this are the only way. I wouldn't worry too much about the flash damage, because while it's true that flash wears out after being rewritten many times, it takes many MANY writes, and I've created these debug logs hundreds of times without causing any noticable damage to any of my PDAs.

As for the location of the file, I have been pondering a good way to let you move the debug.txt file to some other folder, but there's no good/intuitive interface option to pursue. One of the very first things the program does is start writing to this file, so it doesn't have a chance before that to ask you where you want it stored, so it has to use a hard-coded value, currently set up as the My Documents directory to facilitate synching the data to a desktop PC. At some point, I will most likely add support for adding an optional text file into the program directory which you could use to specify a different location for the debug.txt file, to move it to the SD card or elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

adamz

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2006 :  20:40:52  Show Profile
Couple of inter-related things.

I got a new to me Ipaq 5450 from someone who had it languishing in a drawer for too long.

I installed build 04 first intothe Ipaq file store. Turned out that the system was a bit too flakey, bluetooth dropped connection when I did anything like pull up the setting menu. Seems to work better when I reinstalled on an old junker SD card I had left over. This might be a tidbit for that dell that crashs when rotating etc. Maybe slow memory just overwhelm the interrupt stack or whatever and Mapopolis or the Pocket PC OS flakes out during very busy times.

re: voice files.
I had an interesting failure. Since I first installed in \ipaq store, when I reinstalled in \storage card\ it was not finding the voice files unless I copied them back to the \ipaq store. When happens is that I get a pop up stating that "TTspeak could not be loaded from \ipaq file store\mapopolis.com\mapolis" or something to that nature.

I might try again uninstalling everything and reinstalling again, it is as if there is a registry entry that is not cleaned up from an uninstall and is not corrected upon reinstall when it goes thorugh the voice file upload.

Next item, this is probably not Mapopolis issue but I find that the TTspeak voice is really really quiet on the Ipaq 5450, a whisper even at the loudest settings compared to what an Ipaq 3650 bellows out.

Finally on the Ipaq 5450, the notes button in upper left was replaced by two volume buttons in a rocker fashion. Are they (2 volume buttons) supposed to be buttons 5 and 6 in the Mapopolis settings panel? I can't appear to override the built in volume functionality.

Adam
Ipaq 3650 (happy)
Ipaq 3870 (kind of happy)
Ipaq 5450 (not as happy with mapopolis).
All talking to Pharos BT-360 bluetooth GPS.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2006 :  20:42:09  Show Profile
Hi Joshua,

Just wanted to let you know I received your debug log. Thank you. It appears to be the same "GPS Update" crash I have mentioned several times before, so this is consistent with the behavior reported by others experiencing the similar crash. We are still analyzing the data for useful clues, hope to find a solution soon, and apologize for the inconvenience.
Go to Top of Page

joshua362

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2006 :  23:26:27  Show Profile
You are welcome. Is there further value in me continuing to run the debug version and send off the log? I only seem to get the GPS Update crash. Don't mind doing so but I don't want to bombard you either. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

mswlogo

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2006 :  00:23:53  Show Profile
Ris, Lamar,

How about a mailing list for available beta's. You can create one that is self registering/self unregistering on yahoo groups or something.

All I come here for most of the time is to check for new beta.

When that happens I download it, install it, and give feed back here.

It's really tedious to keep "Polling" for a new beta. Many times I find I'm polling a dead thread on top of that.

I think you'd get better coverage from beta users and just overall more efficient.

When you periodically stop releasing beta's you lose people because they get tired of polling too.

This way they come join in and as soon as the beta is ready (and not trickle back).

You also have less asking of when the next beta is coming.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PPC-6700 WM5, Fortuna Slim GPS Sirf III Bluetooth. North America NE maps (MA and NH)
Go to Top of Page

brobinson

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2006 :  14:18:01  Show Profile
mswlogo - set up a bookmark (favorite) to the beta download site and you can check there in about 5 seconds. Here is the link: http://www.kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/PPC/

Dell Axim X50v, Cingular 8125, Haicom 303E with bluetooth slipper, Royaltek RBT-3000
Go to Top of Page

mswlogo

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2006 :  16:41:54  Show Profile
I agree, that's a good idea.

But it's just silly to poll, again, I like to load it the day it's ready, why should I have to check is it there every day and when it doesn't show up for a month I'll stop looking and suddenly I'll be a week behind and mis my chance to give immediate feedback and add my two cents on any issues that come up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PPC-6700 WM5, Fortuna Slim GPS Sirf III Bluetooth. North America NE maps (MA and NH)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05