Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2245

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Packard Bell - GPS 400/Compasseo
 Packard Bell GPS 400: TomTom 5 Installation. DONE!
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2006 :  22:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... After reading a post that said that TT5 could not be done on the PB GPS 400 because of the processor. I thought "what a load of rubbish!" and got one to prove the point. Well it arrived yesterday and today... Viola! TomTom 5 uploaded and working.

Please observe the pics:

General view, also notice the signal strength indicator working properly.

Showing the WinCE taskbar...

Satellite Lock no problem

Have trialled this all afternoon and it's running 100% The satellite lock is very quick usually about 40 seconds from switch on, but then that's what I would expect from the SirfStar 3 chipset.
It runs with no lag, just as you would expect from TT5.
Voices work (it's nice to have Ozzy Osbourne swearing at me again!) as does the battery meter and the satellite signal strength indicator. Infact everything works as it should.

I am just waiting for the OK from GpsPassion to post the tutorial as it does involve minor file modification and it will be in this thread.

Regards,
Psi

**Edits for typos, topic subscribe and better piccies**

Si

Edited by - PsiDOC on 01 avr. 2006 17:46:07

Ads

gpspassion

93964 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2006 :  22:42:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ouch that's blurry indeed ;-)
Well if you give the tips without distributing the files that's probably ok.

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2006 :  13:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok we have the go-ahead from the boss. :D No filez to be posted, but you will need to download a shareware program called WinCE CAB Manager from http://www.ocpsoftware.com/download.php . Download and install it now! (note: you have 15 goes on the trial so no worries there!
You will also need winzip from http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm for unpacking the maps and possibly the voices.

NOTE 1: We are assuming that you have already woken up Windows CE on the PB GPS 400 using the tutorial here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47556
NOTE 2: THIS IF FOR THE TOMTOM5 CD-ROM USERS ONLY. THOSE WITH IT ON A MEMORY CARD ONLY THIS WILL NOT WORK!
NOTE 3 : PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU INSTALL TOMTOM ON YOUR AIO YOU MUST UNINSTALL IT FROM ANY DEVICE WHERE YOU HAD INSTALLED IT PREVIOUSLY. ALTERNATIVELY YOU CAN PUCRCHASE TOMTOM EUROPE ON CDS FOR ABOUT €145 (note added by GpsPasSion)

Ok here we go!
1: Download and install Wince Cab Manager from the above URL.
2: Download and install WinZip from the above URL.
3: Create a folder called TT5 on your desktop
4: Put your TT5 CD in the drive and cancel the auto install
5: Open My Computer and Explore the CD Drive
6: Select Edit >> Select All >> then Edit >> Copy
7: Open the TT5 folder on your desktop and Select edit >> Paste

This will dump the entire TT5 Disk to your TT5 folder on your Desktop. (This may take a few minutes - be patient!)

8: Run Win Ce Cab Manager (Under OCP Software in your programs menu).
9: Open our 1st file to be modded that is: <<drive>>/Desktop/TT5/<<folders>>/gps.cab (the reason for the <<folders>> is that some installations have a different file structure, so you will have to find it!)
10: **The Important BIT!** In WinCE CAB Manager you will see a window open that has a few details. We are interested in the processor type. Click on it and right click and select properties we need to change this from StrongARM / Xscale to All / CEF. (Use the pull down menu!!) then click ok and save.
11: Do the same for PIMAddIn.cab, ttn.CAB, wzd.CAB & <<drive>>/Desktop/TT5/<<folders>>/voice/<<default voice - for the UK it's voice05.cab>>
12: Now double click the Setup.exe file in the TT5 folder on your desktop and install as you would normally.
13: Extract the voices you require to a folder called voices on your SD card
14: Extract the maps you require to a folder called <<country>>-map on your SD card.
15: Extract the postal code file to a folder called zip on the SD card
16: Make a folder on the SD card called tomtom this can be left empty. If you don't the voices and the post code functions don't work.
17. Now you can launch TomTom from the programs menu on the PB 400 and activate as you normally would.

Wingie has aldo documented a method of placing the voice on the internal memory of the PB 400
This is referenced on this page of the topic http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52616&whichpage=5
quote:
Originally posted by Wingie
1) You don't need a folder called TOMTOM on your SD card, it will create a folder TomTom automatically on the device in "my documents\TomTom in which it places the 'currentmap.dat". Inside this file there is a link to your current country-map dir.0
2) To install a voice on your pda follow the following steps, because when you simple extract them with (for example) winrar/winace it doesn't work.
a) Search within your tomtom installation (on the hd) for a folder called 'voice' click on the WAV file you think you want to use, (they all start with a country code for example NLD (for the netherlands).
b)As soon as you have found to one you want to use click on the file that ends with <Country>XX.VIF in here you can find which VOICE.CAB you need.
c) Open the WinCE CAB Manager and click on the VOICE.CAB you need, change the processor type (just as with the ttn.cab) to all/cef and save this file.
d) Install the voice via the setup program from TomTom (it will be placed on your device in stead of the SD card)
e) this one is optional, if your voice still doesn't work copy the dataxx.chk file from the \program files\navigator map to a voices map that is in the root dir of your mobile device.

GPS Settings:
Other NMEA Gps
Baud Rate 4800
Com 2

And there you have it!

TT5 on your Packard Bell 400. ;)

All the best.

Psi

Edited by - PsiDOC on 30 avr. 2006 15:52:10
Go to Top of Page

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  19:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
Sorry. my bad. I forgot to mention one of the GPS settings.
Select Other NMEA GPS from the GPS settings. The 4800 baud rate then select Com 2.
Even though the GPS is internal it's actually not integrated as such. It's linked like a cable GPS via a com port.

RE: The voices did you unpack them from the .cab files? If you did then try making a folder in the root of the mobile device called voices then copy accross Data05.chk and Data05.vif these are the voice for Jayne see if they come up then.

Let us know how you get on.
Psi

Edited by - PsiDOC on 02 avr. 2006 19:54:30
Go to Top of Page

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  21:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm no .vif file. That is perculiar

OK then we'll make one! It's dead easy to do.

Note: For this we will need to see the file extension on the end of the filename because we need to change it, so if you see "new text document" instead of "new text document.txt" then do this:
1. Select Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
2. Select the View tab
3. Uncheck "hide file extensions for known file types"
4. Click OK to finish

Ok here we goes again!

1: Create a new text document on your desktop.
2: Open the document you created.
3: paste the following into the document:
English(GB) - Jane
data05.chk
4: Save and close
5: Click on the document once then right click and select rename and rename to data05.vif and ok it. Windows will ask are you sure you want to rename click yes.

Upload to your voices folder on the SD card and see how it goes.
Let us know mate.

Si
Go to Top of Page

dabut

18 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  21:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi psidoc
i see that you have the signal meter and blue sats showing on your unit.did they work normally or has extra software been added.i have an advent gps 400 with tt5 but alas no sig meter
Go to Top of Page

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  22:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
Yer not being a pain mate. We're on new ground here, just because mine works does not mean I had my fair share of problems.
Yes both .chk file and the .vif should be in a folder called voices in the root of the SD card. If that does not work the try them in the root of the GPS. Also note that the voices folder may need to be in capitals IE: VOICES

Hope that helps.

Si

Dabut,

Yes everything works as it should. I have tried both version 5.00 and 5.21 and I get sat lock and signal strength indication. I know there is a problem with that on the advent, which I why I made sure I got a shot of it working on the PB 400 maybe it'll give someone inspiration!
I came accross the same problem with TT5 on a Mio 168 a while ago and had to reflash the firmware to a later revision to get the Signal indicator working, so I was well chuffed that the PB 400 workes straight away.

All the best.

Si

Edited by - PsiDOC on 02 avr. 2006 23:00:24
Go to Top of Page

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  09:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
Nice one. These things do sometimes take a bit of playing with to get right and seeing as there's just you and I that have done this so far we're pretty much in unchartered territory. Mind you, you have helped pioneer a new hack with the information / problems you have resolved in the install.
I have another SD card here that I am going to wipe out and see if I can re-create the problem you were having so as I can add it to the tutorial.

Si
Go to Top of Page

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  13:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest I noticed no difference whatsoever between 5.00 and 5.21 but hey ho! Thought I'd better give it a whirl. Also confirmed it works as well.
RE: The postcodes, put the postcode folder (Named ZIP) in the root of your SD card and they should magically work.
TT5 is my preferred weapon of choice because of this feature. It means all I need from work is a house name / number and a postcode to get to my jobs.

Si
Go to Top of Page

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  16:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No paul thank you.
You highlighted something I was unaware of with regards the voices.
If you create an empty folder called tomtom on the SD card the voices and postal codes work off the SD card if you do not they don't.

Thanks for testing along with me.

Si
Go to Top of Page

kenwood

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi PsiDOC
Thanks for the info and help on getting TT5 on the GPS400 looks good the only problem the maps for Ireland are woeful so will have to revert back to navigator.
I wonder is it possible to convert the navteq maps to run on TT5.
All the best and keep up the good work
Go to Top of Page

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  16:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenwood.
Cheers to you for the english tutorial on how to get WinCE working on the PB400. Wouldn't have known where to start with that. :o)
I know about the woeful mapping of Ireland. Was over in Eire a few weeks back on a 4x4 challenge. Was running quite literally off them map!
RE: Navteq maps on TT5 I don't think that's ever going to happen. Shame really as we'd have the best of both worlds then.
TT5's non clunky interface with postcodes and Navteq maps would be a godsend.

73's
Psi
MW3SGD (Soon to be MW0SGD!)

Go to Top of Page

greimers

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2006 :  09:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PsiDOC I'm really impressed of what you have done. I have learned a lot with this!!
Is this possible with all the programs that are compatible with the IPAQ? How can you do this change if you have an exe file like the 5.1 and 5.21 upgrade of TomTom? How are you able to launch TomTom from the programs menu on the PB 400 if the only thing I get is the standard GPS 400 menu with the option to run Destinator, hear music, show a photo or configure?

Regards
greimers
Go to Top of Page

kenwood

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2006 :  11:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi greimers
have you wakened up the WINce on your GPS400 if not you need to follow the instructions on this link
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47556
after you have completed this folow the setup up as posted on the front page here (page 1)
all the best have fun
Go to Top of Page

PsiDOC

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2006 :  14:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Griemers,
OK you need to do a Kenwood says and follow the instructions in his link.
This puts you into a Windows CE style enviroment that you can launch TomTom or destinator ND from.
With regards the other Ipaq programs it is a case of try it and see. I have gotten a few things to run, however a few do not. I suspect this is becasue we don't have all the features of the Windows Pocket PC operating system in the Ce 4.2 core of the PB400. :(
If someone could come up with Windows PPC enviroment that we could flash then that would be excellent, but very unlikely. Sadly I do not have the knowledge of the embedded WinCE modules to do this and no time to learn about it either. :(

Sorry for being sort of negative.

All the best.

Si
Go to Top of Page

greimers

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2006 :  19:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks kenwood and thanks PsiDOC. Do you mean I shall try to use cab Manager on a .exe file? (I have the upgrade to the 5.21 in a Windows Xp exe file that installs automatically into the PPC the upgrade.
Regards
Greimers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05