Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 any news on nf maps?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  02:52:28  Show Profile
I wish I had that option in the NavCard version, I can't even search a radius in the NavCard version, just within a city, and if you don't know where you are.... your screwed =]. Hell, even if you KNOW where you are, say you want the closest cracker barrel (a county store/restaurant that my wife just LOVES). If there isn't one in the town your searching, your pretty much screwed. Now I have no idea why the search radius has been taken OUT of the NavCard (I'm pretty sure it was there at the beginning) but for a product that's sold as being able to travel the country, without the need to download maps, that's a hell of a missing feature! And it's not as if it can't be done, because it exists in the Navigator version for the palm. For whatever reason, it was pulled out.....

The two things that would make me consider staying with mapopolis when the new maps come out (assuming there's updated maps for the NavCard), would be:

1. The full POI database. Even if I need a 1.5gb or 2gb card, it's worth the money. Or better yet, additional POI database that I could install on the unit itself.

2. The ability to search a radius from current location for POI's and addresses. Including a flat listing of a specific POI *type*. Like If I want the list of banks in the area.

Those are both much needed items for a product like the navcard. A *wish* would be additional icons for POI types. Mapopolis HAS icons made up for this, but didn't release them because they don't look right on a 160x160 device (hey there treo 650 users). They scraped it because at the time, the shear number of treo users out there was a majority of the palm users, or they figured they would be. They didn't want to potentially make them mad......

Go to Top of Page

sfhub

156 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  03:20:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by todd3835

I wish I had that option in the NavCard version, I can't even search a radius in the NavCard version, just within a city, and if you don't know where you are.... your screwed =]. Hell, even if you KNOW where you are, say you want the closest cracker barrel (a county store/restaurant that my wife just LOVES). If there isn't one in the town your searching, your pretty much screwed. Now I have no idea why the search radius has been taken OUT of the NavCard (I'm pretty sure it was there at the beginning)
2. The ability to search a radius from current location for POI's and addresses. Including a flat listing of a specific POI *type*. Like If I want the list of banks in the area.

I don't remember if you replied. I know you mentioned Palm doesn't have the search radius option, but does it have the "order by distance" option in the view menu?

-- this is from an earlier post --

I used to think it was difficult to use the POIs for the reasons you described until I discovered under the "View" menu you could switch between "Order Alphabetically" and "Order by Distance"

Also under "Origin" menu, you can select what is used as start point for distance calculation, "Last GPS position" or "Center of View Area" or anything in your Favorites. I usually leave it on "Last GPS position" but sometimes switch it to "Center of View Area" if I'm not using GPS.
Go to Top of Page

sfhub

156 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  03:26:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lucien

Also it just might be me but I don't always know the exact address if I search for POI. And search is too slow for an entire state/country. E.g. try entire state California and then search for a park for instance. Will take forever unless you enter the city.

When you "Find Place" you can select both the City/Town and Park/Recreation Area to narrow down the search.

I thought the question was mainly whether you select the city using a popup box vs entering the city name by typing on the virtual keyboard. In both address and place search you can select the city to narrow down the search, you just can't type the city name. You select it using a popup box. That is the current behavior of the PPC version.
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  03:39:25  Show Profile
In the Palm Navigator version, there is a search radius. Afaik, there's no "order by distance" though. I'm using the Palm NavCard version, which is missing a few features found in the Navigator version (which in hand is missing ALOT of features the PPC version has). My other alternative is to try fitting all the maps on my 1gig card and using that instead of the NavCard version.....

-Todd

Go to Top of Page

twebdonny

10 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  16:33:22  Show Profile
As September winds to and end....still no new maps...
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  19:26:30  Show Profile
Yeah, I just checked out the older TomTom5, and it's actually not that bad. It's just a question of, do you sacrifice for lower qual (and potentially older) maps, or do you sacrifice the features..... For now, I'll probably be keeping both on the palm, untill I can try out the demo of the Emtac Navigator 3.0, which I was told I could probably get a demo of.....

-Todd

Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  19:42:16  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Actually, if one searches for a place name, like "arby's" on the Palm version and selects "Show All" the map display zooms out to show all the locations. Then it's easy enough to pick the closest one. :)

Lamar

Airstream travel trailers are round on both ends.
Go to Top of Page

twebdonny

10 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2006 :  16:34:19  Show Profile
less than 3 months left and no map updates in sight...

where has this company disappeared to...
Go to Top of Page

ttrus

73 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2006 :  16:46:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by twebdonny

less than 3 months left and no map updates in sight...

where has this company disappeared to...

It is sad. I think that the saving grace for mapoplis now is that they have spent a lot of hard work on their front end application which many tout as one of the easiest and best applications for navigation. There is no question in my mind that people will probably flock back to mapopolis in January or February when they will inevitably release NF maps (yes I still bet that they screw the pooch on cashing in on pre holiday sales). Its just sad that a year ago, Mapopolis had hands down the industry advantage by a year over their competitors. The gap though is narrowing majorly and while some still believe in Mapopolis as the "best in show", others are now so close that I see this company getting trampled over the next year if they don't go back to their core values.

Tony Trus

Dell Axim x50v & Palm 700w
Globalsat BT-338
x50v - ppc2003 version 2
700w - wm2005 palm firmware version 1.10
Go to Top of Page

n1oty

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2006 :  02:13:02  Show Profile
Hey Lamar,

My subscription has apparently run out. I want to renew, but don't want to get locked out of the nf maps when they finally arrive. If I re-subscribe for another year, will I automatically get access to nf maps later?

John

John
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2006 :  02:21:39  Show Profile
Last I checked, policy for free upgrades was either 30 or 90 days before the launch. So unless you forgot to download the maps you need, no sence renewing. The maps don't expire, just the time your allowed to download them off thier server does.....

Go to Top of Page

n1oty

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  00:53:36  Show Profile
I am actually in pretty good shape, although I would like to download some Maine maps. I just don't want to renew now and get locked out of nf maps if they are coming out soon. I figure they must be coming out soon as these maps are getting old.

John
Go to Top of Page

sfhub

156 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  03:32:09  Show Profile
Well Lamar has said there will be new maps before the end of the year.
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  04:35:49  Show Profile
Just because they say they are coming, doesn't mean they are. I've heard "in about a month" numerous times before, and it never seems to happen..... I would STRONGLY advise against re-purchasing the maps, unless you are happy with the current ones. Buy it expecting NOT to get the upgrade, because unless you've heard them talking about the maps being TESTED, it probably isn't going to be out in the next 30 days.....

On a side note, I'm playing around with TomTom 5, which seems to be about as current (map wise) as mapopolis, atleast in this area..... I tried to check out TomTom6 but got some error about not enough heap memory.... on my T5 no less.....

-Todd

Go to Top of Page

grahamnind

44 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  09:31:27  Show Profile
quote:
On a side note, I'm playing around with TomTom 5, which seems to be about as current (map wise) as mapopolis, atleast in this area..... I tried to check out TomTom6 but got some error about not enough heap memory.... on my T5 no less.....

-Todd

I've managed to get TT6 to run on my TX, so it should run on a T5, although I am using a program called Uncache. This stops unnecessary programs from loading into the cache http://www.palmpowerups.com/

I have to say though that I am not that impressed with TT6. It has some bells and whistles that Mapopolis is missing, but the maps in the UK don't seem as up to date. 2 of my relatives' streets are completely missing, whereas Mapopolis has them. Plus you can't search for a street until you know the town it's in. In London this is not always easy to figure out. I couldn't find the first address I searched for at all, and it turned out TT had my bro-in-law in the wrong town: his neighbour a few doors up was in the right town. A few times I have had to use Mapopolis to locate the street, and then run TT!!!

In the 2 years I have had Mapopolis I have I have only found a couple of errors in the maps. In the 2 weeks I have had TT6, I have found several.

If only Mapopolis had a route-thru feature on the Palm, it would be perfect for me. Waiting hopefully .......

Edited by - grahamnind on 10 oct. 2006 09:32:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05