Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2250

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 any news on nf maps?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

DriveBySignal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2006 :  19:04:46  Show Profile
New US/Canada NF maps - a few questions:
1. Will the NavTeq data be Q4 - 2006 ?
2. Will there be any existing user discount (those who have purchased NE)
3. Does "This Year" mean - before Dec 31, 2006?
Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

ttrus

73 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2006 :  19:15:27  Show Profile
If they were to release Q4 2006 data it would contradict what Lamar was saying about how they have to do massive reworking of data to make it usable in Mapopolis and correct boundaries for water bodies. I would *hope* though that its no older than Q2 2006.

quote:
Originally posted by DriveBySignal

New US/Canada NF maps - a few questions:
1. Will the NavTeq data be Q4 - 2006 ?
2. Will there be any existing user discount (those who have purchased NE)
3. Does "This Year" mean - before Dec 31, 2006?
Thanks!!

Tony Trus

Dell Axim x50v & Palm 700w
Globalsat BT-338
x50v - ppc2003 version 2
700w - wm2005 palm firmware version 1.10
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  04:05:00  Show Profile
Not to mention, I'm pretty sure Q4 2006 would not be availible till almost january. Q3 2006 should be availible now, or very soon, but I'm guessing it would be Q2. Last I heard, they were working on the maps, which is why the lack of work on the palm version (that coder does the maps also.....)

-Todd

Go to Top of Page

thepcdoctorca

Canada
151 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  05:29:37  Show Profile  Visit thepcdoctorca's Homepage
That's the one thing I've always wondered about. It's my undrstanding that the Navteq data is simply a bunch of numbers. You'd think that Mapopolis would have written a program to automaticaly translate that in their own format.

Dell Axim X5 400 A05 WM2003 Holux GM-270 Mapopolis 4.71/iGuidance 3.0
Go to Top of Page

ttrus

73 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  05:45:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thepcdoctorca

That's the one thing I've always wondered about. It's my undrstanding that the Navteq data is simply a bunch of numbers. You'd think that Mapopolis would have written a program to automaticaly translate that in their own format.

From what I understand, there is no easy way to close the polygons using conventional functions or procedures. Hey mapopolis maybe its time to recruit Grigory Perelman to solve this dilemma. hahhaha

Tony Trus

Globalsat BT-338
x50v - ppc2003 version 2
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  16:57:10  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, guys,

You can have some fun with this one: Water is either named or listed as void in the data. Our programmers have not yet made the leap that void always means water. We have spent the equivalent of a nice new Jetski on this new workstation, and it's main purpose is to take a poke at further fixing the water issues, and maybe, being able to generate both the US/Canada maps AND the European maps in one run.

And on a side note, how many of us have laptops with high-speed wireless capability?

Well, high-speed, I guess is relative. Anyway, I've been riding around with my wireless card and notice that it (1) stays connected on the interstates and (2) seamlessly hands off from tower to tower.

On a recent trip, I let it poll for email every two minutes, and it stayed connected for over a hundred miles. Interesting stuff, eh?

A year ago, "Internet in Motion" setups were costing four grand. Now my carrier has enough towers to let me ride around. Gee, it could even be downloading maps in the background as I rode along.

Lamar

Airstream travel trailers are round on both ends.
Go to Top of Page

ttrus

73 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  17:11:43  Show Profile
For it to have any significance with user feedback I think posting a sample county in "raw" text format would be needed. Perhaps of the bunch of folks who are here one can find a reoccuring pattern that could lead to the development of a programatic approach for at least some of the water bodies.
quote:
Originally posted by lamar@mapopolis.com

Hi, guys,

You can have some fun with this one: Water is either named or listed as void in the data. Our programmers have not yet made the leap that void always means water. We have spent the equivalent of a nice new Jetski on this new workstation, and it's main purpose is to take a poke at further fixing the water issues, and maybe, being able to generate both the US/Canada maps AND the European maps in one run.

And on a side note, how many of us have laptops with high-speed wireless capability?

Well, high-speed, I guess is relative. Anyway, I've been riding around with my wireless card and notice that it (1) stays connected on the interstates and (2) seamlessly hands off from tower to tower.

On a recent trip, I let it poll for email every two minutes, and it stayed connected for over a hundred miles. Interesting stuff, eh?

A year ago, "Internet in Motion" setups were costing four grand. Now my carrier has enough towers to let me ride around. Gee, it could even be downloading maps in the background as I rode along.

Lamar

Tony Trus

Globalsat BT-338
x50v - ppc2003 version 2
Go to Top of Page

GCSlim

14 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  17:35:11  Show Profile
Just throwing out ideas here, I know they may or may not be possible or quick to implement...

So if 'void' doesn't always mean water, what else can it mean? Does it also mean land? If it doesn't, then what is the thing thats so important that Mapopolis would rather have screwed up water than screwed up whatever-it-is?

Would it be possible/feasible to use navteq street and POI data, but use data from some other source for a land/water background since it rarely changes? Perhaps USGS DLGs or even TIGER data, both free.

Dell Axim x50 WM2003SE
Holux GPSlim236
Mapopolis 4.7 RC4
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  17:53:16  Show Profile
@Lamr:

As for laptops and wireless, If I wanted to bring my laptop in my car, I'd just use Streets and Trips, a BT dongle, and my current BT gps. From what I've seen, even a bull**** company like MicroShaft can manage to get the water/earth boundries right..... Then again, theres no telling if streets and trips is even profitable. With windows as thier cashcow, they could afford to let other projects generate almost no money for a while..... Ah what "integration" can do for someone like MicroCrap.....

-Todd

Go to Top of Page

thepcdoctorca

Canada
151 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  18:31:03  Show Profile  Visit thepcdoctorca's Homepage
You could probably just process differences between releases. Bodies of waters don't usually change.

As to wireless (cell) connectivity for laptops, that is a diminishing market. I travel a fair bit. I carry a Blackberry for e-mail. Airports and hotels have wired or Wi-Fi connectivity so there is less of a need to do a wireless phone connection from your notebook.

Dell Axim X5 400 A05 WM2003 Holux GM-270 Mapopolis 4.71/iGuidance 3.0
Go to Top of Page

spikoman

21 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  19:21:46  Show Profile
quote:
You can have some fun with this one: Water is either named or listed as void in the data. Our programmers have not yet made the leap that void always means water.

Lamar,

I am sure it isn't a straight forward problem otherwise it would have been solved. But Navteq isn't the only people with the knowledge of what's a body of water and what's not. Have you guys try matching up data from other sources e.g. USGS?

Personally, I see it as a cosmetic issue since I don't use mapopolis on a watercraft. I live in the SF bay area and I manage to keep my car out of the bay. ;)

Thanks,
spiko
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  19:43:35  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage
quote:

Gee, it could even be downloading maps in the background as I rode along.

Lamar

What a great idea Lamar ! Why didn't anyone before you come up with that idea?

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  20:32:44  Show Profile
exactly what does the ability to download maps while driving down the road have to do with the new maps? I mean hell, it doesn't even sound safe..... let alone relavent.....

-Todd

Go to Top of Page

DriveBySignal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  21:24:16  Show Profile
IF the water issue is what is delaying the NF maps, then I was wondering how many of you here think that it is serious enough a issue and worth the delay. I for one would vote for a quicker release even if it cannot be addressed yet. At least it is a known devil - I can imagine the water isssue being fixed and as a "side-effect" a whole new can of worms opening up!
Go to Top of Page
Go to Top of Page

GCSlim

14 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  21:52:21  Show Profile
I, for one, won't be purchasing any more maps that have screwed up water/land boundaries. As Mapopolis folk often point out, the maps we have are pretty up-to-date compared with most other applications. I live in a pretty high-growth area and yet I see no need for updated data at this point. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Updated water/land is the ONLY thing that will get me to buy the NF maps. I do like Mapopolis a lot, but if the water/land issue isn't fixed in NF at least for my area, I'll just continue to use NE until the out-of-date data DOES bug me, then I'll find another program.

Dell Axim x50 WM2003SE
Holux GPSlim236
Mapopolis 4.7 RC4
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05