Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 any news on nf maps?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

disconnected

74 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2007 :  16:44:25  Show Profile
I read that they'd actually been negotiating with Cisco for the name, but when they couldn't come to an agreement they just went ahead anyway? Sounds crazy. And no third party software pretty much kills it for me. Oh well, if it does nothing else, maybe it will light a fire under Microsoft and PPC OEMs.

Lamar, if you have a data plan on a bluetooth phone, get a Slingbox. It's just a one-time cost, and you can watch whatever live programs you want on bluetooth laptop or PDA. If you have a DVR you can also watch any program you record, and even set the DVR remotely. It works even better with a wifi connection. I'm addicted to a few programs, like Project Runway on Bravo, and if I happen to be staying in a hotel somewhere that doesn't get Bravo it's really nice to be able to watch it on the laptop.

Edited by - disconnected on 11 janv. 2007 16:46:42
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  05:00:44  Show Profile
Speaking of iPhone's, I think Jay Leno hit it right on the nail. Got this in a joke email:

"This week, at the big consumer electronics show, in Las
Vegas, apple unveiled their first combination ipod and cell
phone. They say their goal is to create the most annoying
person ever to sit behind you in a movie theater."
--Jay Leno

Go to Top of Page

aguy2no

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  05:44:54  Show Profile
Lamar--
I work in a service and sales industry. The number one concern for the company i work for is "attrition" (keeping customers), it make one company successful and the other gone. It's a lot smarter to keep your present customers and attract new ones for growth, then having to keep trying for new customers just to stay even with marketshare.
I downloaded tomtom nav 6, they just released a new set of maps and their nav makes things pretty easy to follow, infact much easier than mapopolis. I havent purchased those new maps yet, but its sure a big temptation to switch and not look back.

I've tried to contact navteq to buy directly from them, seems you have a contractual agreement with them, or you have to do some kind of coding. So that won't work.

Perhaps your President, or CEO should realize our fustration and give us the new maps before your users leave mapapolis and goes elsewhere.

Theres my rant and at least i am still here for now to do the rant.
-larry

Dell Axim V51x SanDisk 1 GB
Rikaline gps-6033 bluetooth gps
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  06:06:14  Show Profile
Atleast you have the option. I borrowed a friend's copy of TT6, and it indeed won't run on a Lifedrive. Well, it runs, but the screen is all garbled.... So it's TT5 or Mapopolis for me.....

-Todd

Go to Top of Page

ttrus

73 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  13:37:38  Show Profile
Just bought tomtom6 with the new maps about 2 weeks ago too and runs like a charm on my x50v. I think you can pick one of them up on the cheap @ ebay. The new tomtom maps are truly outstanding and sorry Lamar this aint a rant about mapopolis this is a praise about tomtom. I have purposely used tomtom for over 400 miles going various places to see if it knew the street and found the best route and so far so good!

quote:
Originally posted by todd3835

Atleast you have the option. I borrowed a friend's copy of TT6, and it indeed won't run on a Lifedrive. Well, it runs, but the screen is all garbled.... So it's TT5 or Mapopolis for me.....

-Todd

Tony Trus

Dell Axim x50v & Palm 700w
Globalsat BT-338
x50v - ppc2003 version 2
700w - wm2005 palm firmware version 1.10

Edited by - ttrus on 12 janv. 2007 13:38:59
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  14:01:29  Show Profile
The x50v's are slightly cheaper than the x51v. I almost got a x51v instead of the Lifedrive, and if I get a tax return, I still might get one and sell off the Lifedrive. I'd just miss alot of my software.....

And right now, TT5 doesn't appear to be missing anything that the current mapopolis maps are missing, so for now, I'm good running TomTom. I haven't used mapopolis in a while. If you think TT6 is nice compared to mapopolis, think about the features lacking in the palm version. They will very quickly loose thier palm userbase, as TT6 works on the treo's. Only reason I won't get a Treo is because of the smaller screen.....

Go to Top of Page

ttrus

73 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  14:29:54  Show Profile
I'd take the x50v only because it has wm2003. I have wm2005 on my treo 700w and hate it
quote:
Originally posted by ttrus

Just bought tomtom6 with the new maps about 2 weeks ago too and runs like a charm on my x50v. I think you can pick one of them up on the cheap @ ebay. The new tomtom maps are truly outstanding and sorry Lamar this aint a rant about mapopolis this is a praise about tomtom. I have purposely used tomtom for over 400 miles going various places to see if it knew the street and found the best route and so far so good!

quote:

-Todd

Tony Trus

Globalsat BT-338
x50v - ppc2003 version 2
Go to Top of Page

jcostantino

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  14:50:23  Show Profile  Visit jcostantino's Homepage
I bought upgraded maps for TTM6 on my T-Mobile MDA and I'm happy to finally have all new roads. A brand new subdivision that wasn't even on Google Maps a few months ago is in the TomTom map which is very impressive!

BTW: If you have TTM5 on the Palm, the V6 maps you can buy through them are supposed to work. You won't see V6's features but your map data will be current.

I don't remember if V5 could reroute around a roadblock but that feature in V6 is amazing! 5 taps and you can have it create a new route around a roadblock ahead of you without having to just veer off course at random.
Go to Top of Page

GCSlim

14 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  14:57:10  Show Profile
I've wanted to try out TomTom for a while now as people seem to be pretty happy with it, but I don't see a trial version of it anywhere. Am I just missing it?

Dell Axim x50 WM2003SE
Holux GPSlim236
Mapopolis 4.7 RC4
Go to Top of Page

DriveBySignal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  17:45:28  Show Profile
OK guys...it looks like the end is near. See the listing "News from Mapopolis". Shed a few tears and move on with your lives.
Go to Top of Page

ttrus

73 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  18:05:47  Show Profile
Thanks for the pointer. I wouldn't have looked at that thread otherwise. Just think of it this way, the new tomtom6 maps are AMAZING and bleeding edge new. I will miss the involvement Mapopolis gave in developing the software program and wish them all the best in their new endeavors. I think that is why Mapopolis has so many loyal followers is because of listening and responding to customer requests. In this business, putting out new maps is only 50% of it. Having a good easy to use yet powerful program that is always being enhanced and good customer service is the other half.

Thanks Lamar for your involvement with the entire project. You have forced other GPS software manufacturers to step up their game and without you guys, those other packages would still be missing important enhancements that you guys were the first to implement.

Tony

quote:
Originally posted by DriveBySignal

OK guys...it looks like the end is near. See the listing "News from Mapopolis". Shed a few tears and move on with your lives.

Tony Trus

Globalsat BT-338
x50v - ppc2003 version 2
Go to Top of Page

jcostantino

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  18:12:29  Show Profile  Visit jcostantino's Homepage
GCSlim - I don't think they offer any kind of demo or trial option. That said, if you could find one of their PNAs like the Go and test it out, that's basically the same as the PDA version.

DriveBySignal - it's a shame. Seems as though their "lets go in a dozen different directions and see what sticks" decision spread them out too thin and it cost them their core business - which is the PDA/Smartphone based navigation.

I applaud Mapopolis' continuous bugfixes and this forum is the only one I've seen where navigation software representatives actually communicate with their customers. In my opinion, it seems as though they made a mistake trying to diversify instead of doing what everyone has been clamoring for all of 2006 - updated maps and improving the interface. Aguy2no was on to something... it seems as though Mapopolis was so busy trying to attract new customers that they forgot about their existing customers.

Things like paying for the MAPS and not the program (so you can migrate from a Smartphone to a PDA without buying another license), text-to-speach, street names that slide smoothly along the route, stuff like that isn't found in other programs.

Edited by - jcostantino on 12 janv. 2007 18:14:18
Go to Top of Page

thepcdoctorca

Canada
151 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2007 :  19:01:39  Show Profile  Visit thepcdoctorca's Homepage
My first foray into GPS nav was Pharos. Then I discovered Mapopolis and it seemed like the world opened up to me.

The stylus only interface bugging me, but I was too cheap to buy new software without trying it first.

Then came 2006 and a big round of betas. I was very hopefull. Most of what we wanted did not get worked on. Instead we got the day/night auto change, OK, somewhat usefull. And we got the clock sync from GPS. It hung my device like it did for so many others. I still don't get the usefulness. PDA time drifts. Sync it to your PC and the clock readjusts. I don't get who would need that kind of time precision that a couple minutes off was critical.

About 4 months ago I downloaed IG3 from BitTorrent. Tried it. Loved it. Bought it. I have not used Mapopolis since. I kept looking here, hoping. It was not to be.

Now I hear that we have been abandoned. It's been nice, but I feel you tried to go after too many conflicting priorities and markets that may or may not bear fruit, at the expense of your existing customers.

You are now concentrating on your core business. What is your core business????? It does not appear to be navigation software anymore. And judging by the last year, it better not be creating maps.

One last thing. Our friends and family all know we use sat-nav products. They ask for our opinion. When the next one asks about this new product that is powered by Mapopolis, what do you think our answer will be?

Dell Axim X5 400 A05 WM2003 Holux GM-270 Mapopolis 4.71/iGuidance 3.0
Go to Top of Page

todd3835

540 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2007 :  03:31:36  Show Profile
Well, let me first start off by saying I'm probably one of the longest standing customers with mapopolis on this forum. Considering I'm one of only a few Palm users, it wouldn't be hard. I've been with mapopolis since before there was a PPC/WM version. Back in the day, there was just the Palm version. This is the first time you'll see them re-focusing thier efforts for what seems like a more profitable market. The palm users were abandoned, for a while. First it was focusing on the PPC version. Then it was because the new maps had to be generated by the Palm developer not the PPC guys (note GUYS, not 1 like the palm dev). So we just kinda let it go. Then we got the NavCard and things were looking up. Little did we know, that was basically the end of the Palm dev. What mapopolis fails to see (but TomTom has) is that the Palm platform is not dead. The Treo's are alive and kicking. TomTom put all their palm effort into supporting the Treo devices. Mapopolis has somehow failed to see how much the pda/phone combo's are doing. The thing is this, TomTom and Emtac have both just released new maps. Those are the only 2 competitors for the Palm version. That just killed any chance of getting new Palm clients, and probably made most other palm users jump ship already. Not to mention BOTH apps are more feature rich, and Emtac runs Navteq maps also. Guess I'm screwed now. It's use older maps, or take a chance with Emtac.... The demo I got seems to be somewhat working on the Lifedrive.....

-Todd

Go to Top of Page

Quiet1Pa

2 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2007 :  16:00:55  Show Profile
quote:

.... Not to mention BOTH apps are more feature rich, and Emtac runs Navteq maps also. Guess I'm screwed now. It's use older maps, or take a chance with Emtac.... The demo I got seems to be somewhat working on the Lifedrive.....

-Todd

Where did you get the demo of Emtac? I have been looking for one but could not find it on there web site.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05