Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Smartphone GPS
 GPS on Smartphones
 Garmin Mobile service compared to TeleNav
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

robogps

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 30 sept. 2005 :  16:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jeff.
Go to Top of Page

robogps

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  08:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have both applications. Over the past few weeks, more than 50% of the time that I fire up Garmin Mobile and select a route, I get "Cannot establish a GPS fix, please try again later." I'll go to TeleNav immediately, at the same location and I'll get a fix 100% of the time.

Sometimes the Garmin will work after I power down the phone and restart it a few times (5-10); sometimes it doesn't. When it does work, it often freezes or slowly redraws maps continually on the same road. In comparison, the TeleNav's routing and performance is thankfully flawless.

With all I'm reading in this forum and across the internet about the problematic 2720, 340 and Garmin firmware upgrades, their associated problems acquiring satellites and frequent lock-ups, I wonder what the heck is going on at Garmin? Are all these/their problems related?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 01 févr. 2006 :  21:47:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a new one to try http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/comments.asp?id=621 ;-)

robogps

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  07:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we are, almost a year later and I still have both applications on my phone. They've gone through quite a bit of revision since I last discussed them.

Garmin has now added traffic and weather. The traffic feature simply tells you how the traffic ahead looks. A good feature, though it's not incorporated with their navigation.

Garmin STILL is not a good mobile phone GPS, in my opinion. It is slower acquiring sats and often goes hours or days before it locks onto them.

Garmin routing is still odd compared to TeleNav. Both utilize Navteq maps, but obviously their algorithms from point A to B are different, TeleNav offering the better, more logical routes in most cases.

Garmin Mobile map redraws are awful, plentiful (seems it keeps redrawing unnecessarily too often and locks up -you get the hour glass icon) and painfully slow, sometimes causing the unit to freeze and consequently lose sats.

TeleNav. TeleNav now has moving maps! The graphics are SO much better than Garmin's. What's most impressive are the instantaneous re-draws. You hardly notice them (sometimes it seems as if there aren't any; that's how smooth and flawless it is. You also have a better sense of where you are and where you're headed (next turn) with TeleNav's text on the top and bottom of the moving maps. With Garmin, you are sometimes clueless, and since the voice is barely audible on the phone, you NEED to look down at the unit and the maps. Big edge to TeleNav.

TeleNav still gives you routing options/preferences (faster/shorter distance/use oh highways etc) while Garmin STILL doesn't.

If one where looking for a reliable mobile GPS for their phone, TeleNav is the winner, hands down. I'd stay away from Garmin Mobile, which is disappointing considering their fine dedicated GPS units on the market.

Edited by - robogps on 26 sept. 2006 07:15:08
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  11:32:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, looks like Telenav have the edge now and the A-GPS implementation that they use clearly makes life easier. How is overall cost like ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

robogps

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  13:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome gpspassion. GPS has become a bit of a passion for me (no pun intended :)) though on a smaller scale than many here. I have a 2720, considering a c550 now (anthlover sure is one convincing person) and looking into a Palm Treo 700wx with TomTom Navigator 6 (TomTom products always intrigued me despite the supposed problems with TeleAtlas maps in the U.S). $299 seems like a steep price for TomTom's software, card and receiver, but I like the Palm and am very curious to see for myself about TomTom's peformance in the US.

Anyway, despite my problems with Garmin Mobile, I want to make it clear that I think that Garmin makes fine dedicated units. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that they have paid as much attention to detail with their mobile product.

Now to answer your question. TeleNav costs $9.99 per month for unlimited use. Garmin charges the same.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2006 :  05:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robogps

Here we are, almost a year later and I still have both applications on my phone. They've gone through quite a bit of revision since I last discussed them.

Thanks so much for the update. I'm really vexed on which product as I am going through both. I'm using a blackberry and will need an external GPS recever.

Have the POIs on the TeleNav system improved in the last year?

Again thanks,
Go to Top of Page

robogps

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2006 :  23:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi genzano,

Sorry for responding so late. I haven't looked in this section of the forum in a while (it's pretty quiet here) and was unaware of your post.

I've since removed Garmin Mobile from my phone; it truly is awful. As great as their dedicated units are (I have both the 2720 and 2730), their mobile unit leaves a lot to be desired. I hope that it's not most people's introduction to Garmin because I'm afraid they'd be scared off in buying anything with the Garmin name attached to it. I think Garmin should do themselves a favor and take it off it's product line because it is so "un-Garminlike" with respect to functionality and quality.

I play with TeleNav now and then and their POI seems pretty good. Certainly it's more updated than any dedicated unit (including the 2730 and 2730) because it's constantly getting updated, and for free, no less.

I think that navigating through TeleNav has taken a step backwards. It's much more cumbersome since they added their moving maps. But, it's still leaps and bounds better than Garmin Mobile for routing, acquiring sats and overall.
Go to Top of Page

rancho1

354 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2008 :  07:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had used Telenav and the POIs were not "constantly updated." The database is on their servers and "could be" constantly updated if they chose to, but they did not appear to make the effort to update it regularly.
It was very incomplete and out of date. You still need to look up on Google for lots of major POIs.

Edited by - rancho1 on 29 mai 2008 07:50:40
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2008 :  01:23:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice bump for the thread ;-)
I've also found that "off-board" GPS systems generally don't leverage that technology to push new updated maps but update them pretty much like "on-board" systems, i.e. every 6 months or more...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05