Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2401

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 PC and MAC GPS Software
 iGuidance Customization Ideas
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2005 :  22:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

iGuidance Customization Ideas for PDA’s and Laptops

Index: (some of what you can find in this thread)

[PPC] [PC] GPS arrows: page 1 here

[PPC] [PC] POI icons: page 1 here

[PC] Hotkeys for laptop version of iGuidance: here

[PC] Eliminate the Title bar from Menus: page 1 here

[PPC] [PC] Create your 1st theme.ini file: page 5 here

[PPC] [PC] Map font size: page 1 here, 5 here

[PPC] [PC] Road thickness: page 1 here, 3 here

[PPC] [PC] Route colors: page 1 here

[PPC] [PC] Customize colors of parks, lakes, etc or completely hide geo-features: page 2 here

[PPC] [PC] See more roads: page 3 here

[PPC] [PC] The correct *.ini name for your iGuidance version: page 4 here

[PPC] [PC] Color palette: page 5 here

[PPC] [PC] Silence instead of the "ding" sound: page 5 here

[PPC] [PC] Record your own voice prompts: page 7 here

[PPC] [PC] Customization of Zoom Levels: page 8 here

[PPC] [PC] See more cities: page 8 here

[PPC] [PC] List of theme.ini functions: page 9 here

[PC] Increase size of menu buttons, make iGuidance touch screen friendly: page 10 here, 14 here

[PPC] [PC] Change background color: page 11 here

[PPC] [PC] Change street name text color: page 11 here

[PPC] [PC] Change road color: page 11 here

[PC] Embed iGuidance in other applications: page 14 here

[PPC] [PC] How to install more than one version of iG on your PC or PPC: here

[PPC] [PC] Change road border color: page 18 here

[PC] Show No Warning: page 18 here

[PPC] Show No Warning: page 20 here

[PPC] [PC] Continue to Final Destination? Does the question annoy you?: page 19 here

[PC] Navigate by coordinates: page 20 here

[PC] Qwerty on screen keyboard: page 20 here

[PPC] [PC] Voice options in iGuidance 4 - disable/enable TTS (text-to-speech): page 24 here

[PC] Custom buttons & icons by Chris (a.k.a. serveradmnstrtr): page 24 here

[UMPC]
iGuidanceUMPC Color Locations: page 26 here

The following tweaks either no longer work with the most recent iGuidance 3.0, or they are no longer needed (IMHO):

[PPC] [PC] FULL Re-calculate registry tweak: page 4 here

[PC] ETA/REM/DEST/SPEED box is too small: page 6 here

[PPC] [PC] See more street names: page 15 here[/size=1]

Let's share good ideas...

Keyboard access to full screen mode in iGuidance 2.1

EDIT: This tweak is no longer needed in iGuidance 2.1.1 which introduced F-key to toggle full screen mode.

Users of the laptop version of the new iGuidance 2.1 have one annoyance to deal with: there is no way to toggle the new Full Screen View mode with a keyboard shortcut. Attempting to move a mouse pointer to the exact position where the small full screen button is may not be quite safe at a high rate of speed ;-)

I just managed to modify iguidance.exe file to add Ctrl+F shortcut for this function. And to make it even simpler I also added a new F-key function to iGkeys.

I'm not going to publish here the modified iguidance.exe file because the developer of this navigation software could object to that (even though the one file alone would be useless to anybody unless they own the the whole software). However I will share here step by step a simple procedure how you too can do it.

After you have modified the iguidance.exe file, and after you have installed the newest version of iGkeys, you will have a single key access to turning on / off full screen view mode just by hitting F-key on your keyboard.

1. First step is to download ResHacker >>here<<

2. Backup (copy & paste to a different folder) iguidance.exe before you do anything. This is always a good idea ;-)

3. Start ResHacker, and on the Menu bar click File > Open. Navigate to iguidance.exe which you will likely locate in C:\Program Files\iNav\iGuidance

4. As shown on the above picture, open Accelerators folder and navigate to the 1033 file. Add this: "^F", 3074 as shown on the picture. Press "Compile Script" button above, and then click Save (Menu bar > File > Save). (Make sure iGuidance is closed before you attempt to save, or it will not save.)

Congratulations, now you can start iGuidance 2.1 and Ctrl+F will toggle full screen mode for you. However, I do not like Ctrl+F. It is simpler to just use a single key shortcut. Continue to next step:

5. Download newest version of iGkeys >>here<<. It will let you toggle full screen mode just by hitting F-key on your keyboard. (Provided you have modified iguidance.exe as described above.)

If you do not feel comfortable doing any of the above, please do not do it.

All the above information is provided without warranty and on a 'use at your own risk' basis

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 18 sept. 2006 12:39:03

Ads

jeepjep

51 Posts

Posted - 08 mai 2005 :  06:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn your good
That did the trick...

Inavsupport - take a look at this and IMPLEMENT!!

John
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 mai 2005 :  16:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Create your own arrows

I find the iGuidance arrow a bit too small on my 15" screen set to 1024 x 768 pixels. Here is what I have done to replace the existing small arrow with my own a bit bigger arrow.

Before & after pictures:

First I created my arrows in my favourite image editor software CorelDraw. I created two sets: one set for 3D and one set for 2D view mode.

You may download my arrows here: >>NewArrows_001.zip<<

If anyone here at the forum wishes to create some nice looking arrows and share them, it would be very much appreciated.

Open iguidance.exe in ResHacker (see more info in the previous post) and navigate to the images you wish to change. Right-clicking will give you an option to "Replace" the image with your own.

Click "Open file with new bitmap" to select the image of your choice. Then click "Replace" and save (Menu bar > File > Save).

For the above to work I replaced the following picture files:

Pictures to be used in 2-D mode:

106, 142

107, 143

108, 144

Pictures to be used in 3-D mode:

200, 201, 206, 207

197, 202, 203, 208

198, 199, 204, 205

I think the GPS arrows in the PDA version are just fine, but if anyone wishes to experiment the same is possible on your PPC as well. I just tested it, and the file that I needed to modify was iGuidanceQVGA.exe located in my PDA Phone in \Program Files\iNav\iGuidance

All the above information is provided without warranty and on a 'use at your own risk' basis

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 12 juin 2005 06:09:13
Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 13 mai 2005 :  18:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,
Wonderful fine! Absolutely 100% fantastic! This was one of my last remaining "gripes" with iGuidance. One question though....How do you enable the larger POI icons? I see that there are 32x32 icons available, but whenever I launch the program, the smaller (and uglier) ones are displayed (16x16 I think). Any ideas? I might be able to use this with my OQO after all!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 mai 2005 :  23:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Create your own POI icons

Customizing POI icons is indeed possible, but I do not know at this moment how to make them any bigger than they are. On the above picture I changed POI icons of restaurants to show instead a little picture of my daughter when she was a baby ;-)

To use our own pictures as POI icons we need to first turn our *.bmp, *.jpg, or *.gif image files into *.ico format. Your favourite image editing software may be able to do this. If not, then you may try to search the web for some freeware or shareware utility designed to create .ico files. My favourite is IconForge (http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_if.html ) But there are several others available as well.

To replace a POI icon is very similar to changing GPS arrow as described earlier. Instead of “Bitmap”, look into “Icon” folder within ResHack software.

Good luck & have fun ;-)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 14 mai 2005 00:29:13
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 mai 2005 :  08:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eliminate the blue Title bar from Menu windows

Justintime, who just joined GpsPasSion today, shares how we can eliminate the blue Title bar from the top of the Menu windows. In some applications the Title bar is just an unwelcome obstruction, especially when used on a small CarPC screen set at low resolution:

----------
If you guys want to make all the windows look more authentic (more 'car pc navigator' like) you can use ResHacker, and then do the following to remove the menu bars. (The window's menu bar used to drag windows... who needs that?)

1) Select the dialog
2) Right click dialog window, and select EDIT DIALOG from the contextual menu.
3) On the bottom left, there is a list. Some items will be highlited in yellow. Find WS_DLGFRAME and hilite it.
4) Save compile etc.

You can do this for every dialog. They look much more authentic WITHOUT the windows menu bar!

----------

Justintime may be new at GpsPasSion today, but he is definitely not a "newbie". We can learn a few ideas from him. By the way, notice that he uses the old iGuidance 2.0, and notice the large map font size. There are many iGuidance users who wish they could upgrade to the new iGuidance 2.1, but they will not do that mainly because of the inability to increase map font size. The famous THEME.INI file that allowed users a certain level of customization is not yet available for the new iGuidance 2.1.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 12 juin 2005 02:51:28
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2005 :  00:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THEME.INI for version 2.1

I have no clue what I'm doing but I opened iguidance.exe in hex editor and I see the same stuff that was in the old theme.ini: MZL, FZL, NMRC, DMRC, NFC, DFC, NPT, STS, NPW, STW, MSR, AZLC, NGRDC, DGRDC, GRDPW, RTPW, STC, BNCA, SBC, RTC, NMRBPC, DMRBPC, NMRPC, DMRPC, MBC, GRPW, MDFC, RPW. Nothing is missing, nothing is added, it is in the same order ;-) But it looks like theme.ini has changed its name to CTHEME.INI

I have to leave home for a couple of hours but later I will play with it...

In the mean time to change font size to something large, copy and paste this to your notepad and save as ctheme.ini, then put it to the folder where your iguidance.exe is

; street name font size in points @ zoom level
STS=20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20

Cheers!

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 18 mai 2005 01:56:00
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2005 :  02:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Change map font size in iGuidance 2.1

Yes, it is finally working!!! I'm not yet sure if the whole *.ini file works in the new 2.1 like it use to in iGuidance 2.0, but map fonts can be changed. Just rename the old theme.ini to ctheme.ini and experiment ;-)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 12 juin 2005 05:51:05
Go to Top of Page

iNav_Product

124 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2005 :  02:56:29  Show Profile  Visit iNav_Product's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Marvin is one smart guy!! You figured it out ahead of our official announcement! Revised theme.ini file will be posted to our website in about 2 weeks. And the difference is theme.ini vs. ctheme.ini. However, the new ctheme.ini we'll be posting for v2.0.2 and v2.1 will also have the added codes to reflect the map color theme feature for v2.0.2/v2.1, which v2.0/v2.0.1 didn't have.....
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2005 :  13:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's excellent! That's definitely something owners of the new iGuidance 2.1 (and 2.0.2) can look forward to! Thanks iNav!

In the mean time, I'd recommend that users who wish to experiment on their own with creating their ctheme.ini do it step-by-step. Remove everything from the old theme.ini and add only one component at one time. I first started with only the font component, so my ctheme.ini contained only 2 lines and nothing else. Later you may add another component and check if it still works ;-)

Change 2D road thickness

Before & after pictures:

I like my roads thinner than the original 2.1 offers. Here is what you can add to ctheme.ini and you can adjust it to your liking:

; road pen width in pixels @ 100ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW0=6 6 5 4 3
;RPW0=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 200ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW1=5 5 4 3 2
;RPW1=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 500ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW2=4 4 3 2 1
;RPW2=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 1000ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW3=3 3 2 2 1
;RPW3=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 2500ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW4=3 3 2 2 1
;RPW4=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 1mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW5=3 3 2 1 1
;RPW5=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 2mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW6=2 2 1 1 1
;RPW6=2 2 1 1 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 5mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW7=2 2 1 1 1
;RPW7=2 1 1 1 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 10mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW8=1 1 1 1 1
;RPW8=2 1 1 1 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 25mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW9=1 1 1 1 1
;RPW9=2 1 1 1 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 100mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW10=1 1 1 1 1
;RPW10=1 1 1 1 1

I wish we could do the same with 3D!

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 18 mai 2005 01:56:03
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 mai 2005 :  11:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Route Colors

Before & after pictures:

In iGuidace 2.1 the segment of the route you are traveling on is of solid green color at night and solid blue during the day. However, the following route segments are of pale green and pale blue color and may not be as easily visible depending on the background. I prefer to keep the solid colors for the whole route to improve the contrast and visibility at all zoom levels. To do that copy the code below and paste it to your ctheme.ini file.

; route colors
RTC=0,0,255 0,0,255 0,255,0 0,255,0

Go to Top of Page

jeepjep

51 Posts

Posted - 18 mai 2005 :  14:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

Have you figured out how to keep identifying POI's WITHOUT having to exit out of the pop-up screen EVERY SINGLE TIME grr?

I think you just found a new job :)

John

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 mai 2005 :  15:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John that is a feature I love in Microsoft Streets & Trips. It makes POI searches, address searches, intersection searches so much easier. Implementation of something similar would bring iGuidance to a new level ;-)

For users not familiar with S&T, when we get multiple search results in S&T all you need to do is highlight one to see it on the map, and then highlight another to see another... You don't have to actually “commit” yourself to one of the results by hitting "Navigate" or "Map" to check visually on the map if it is the right place. The S&T implementation of this function saves a lot of time when we have to look through multiple results.

This is definitely a good one for the wish list ;-)

Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 18 mai 2005 :  22:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,
I'm always stealing ideas and never really contributing, but here's my first attempt at trying to help. Here are my modified icons and some screen captures.

Original:

The outline of the 3-d icon will change based on the number of satellites (i.e. yellow, red, green etc) as does the circle on the 2-d variant.

Let me know if anyone wants these icons.

I liked the look of the icons but I may have to change the route colors. I'm going to work at updating my PPC application next!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2005 :  02:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weatheryoko that's nice! I like both the 2D and the 3D arrows. If you find the time you may post them here so we can try them, too ;-)

Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2005 :  17:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the icons:

Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  01:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin
Can you do me a favor. I've got a question into iNav about their theme.ini file. I cannot get the road borders to work. See http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28736. Can you paste this in your ctheme.ini file and see if it even works? Thanks.

DMRBPC0=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC1=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC2=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC3=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC4=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC5=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC6=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC7=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC8=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC9=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0
DMRBPC10=0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0 0,0,0

This should work for the day mode only and should put a black outline/border on the roads if it works. I can't get it to work and I'm guessing that this feature was not "enabled" with version 2.0 (which is what I have). It goes right below where you customized all your street colors (of course you can simply cut and paste this into a blank notepad and save it as ctheme.ini as well. Just rename your ctheme.ini first!) The reason I'm pursuing this, is that this may "solve" your 3-d road width problem (instead of all the roads blending together, this border should separate the off-ramp from this highway. Thanks in advance.

Justin

P.S. if this works, I've basically created a "theme" that mirrors tomtom. I'll send it to you via PM is I can get this road border thing to work.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  01:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Weatheryoko, I also played with the same idea almost a year ago desperately trying to solve the problem which was introduced with the "True Road Width" in the 3D-view mode. I never succeeded with 2.0. But I remember then playing with:

; day map road border pen color FC1-2-3-4-5

and also:

; nite map road border pen color FC1-2-3-4-5

(I just copied that from my other post from December 2004) I might have played also with some other settings, I don't recall now. But I will try to look at what you are suggesting. I'll let you know. Still though, I think a better solution would be to give users the option to turn the extra width off completely, if we so choose (along with all geo-features which I don’t need for driving).

Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  17:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,
Turning off the geocache stuff is easy. I'll post the solution here in about an hour. (I have to write the code in the theme.ini)

BTW, how come your background is a different color than mine? Your's is more of a pale yellow, while mine is more like a sand brown. Did you modify anything in the ctheme.ini?

Also can you post what the numbers are for MBC (Map Background Color)?

Thanks. Talk to you soon.
Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  18:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hide cemeteries, airports, lakes, parks, etc

For those of you who wish to hide the geo-data in iGuidance.(Personally I like it but I know some of you have been asking for this feature).

The first code is for those using the white "skin" in version 2.1. Save the code listed below in a text editor as ctheme.ini

Here's the code you'll need.

Paste this in first:
;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
; map background color (day nite) (Large Scale)
MBC=255,255,255 0,0,0

and then paste this at the bottom of ctheme.ini

;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
; feature colors- day colors
;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
;
; OCEAN
;DFC1=156,186,247
DFC1=255,255,255

; BAY/HARBOUR
;DFC2=156,186,247
DFC2=255,255,255

; LAKE
;DFC3=156,186,247
DFC3=255,255,255

; RIVER
;DFC4=156,186,247
DFC4=255,255,255

; ISLAND
; leave unspecified to use map bg color
;DFC5=248,252,200
DFC5=255,255,255
;debugging
;DFC5=255,255,255

; PARK_STATE
;DFC6=200,252,200
DFC6=255,255,255

; PARK_CITY
;DFC7=200,252,200
DFC7=255,255,255

; PARK_MONT
;DFC8=200,252,200
DFC8=255,255,255

; WOODLAND
;DFC9=152,204,152
DFC9=255,255,255

; COUNTRY
;DFC10=188,143,143
DFC10=255,255,255

; STATE LINE (also Coastline)
;DFC11=248,252,200
DFC11=255,255,255

; RAILROAD
;DFC12=252,241,224
DFC12=255,255,255

; GOLF
;DFC13=200,252,200
DFC13=255,255,255

; CEMETARY
;DFC14=255,210,241
DFC14=255,255,255

; BUILT_UP
;DFC15=248,204,152
DFC15=255,255,255

; INDUSTRIAL
;DFC16=200,152,248
DFC16=255,255,255

; MILITARY
;DFC17=255,255,165
DFC17=255,255,255

; AIRPORT
;DFC18=207,207,207
DFC18=255,255,255

; RUNWAY
;DFC19=183,166,166
DFC19=255,255,255

;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
; feature colors- night colors
;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
; OCEAN
;NFC1=156,186,247
NFC1=0,0,0

; BAY/HARBOUR
;NFC2=156,186,247
NFC2=0,0,0

; LAKE
;NFC3=156,186,247
NFC3=0,0,0

; RIVER
;NFC4=156,186,247
NFC4=0,0,0

; ISLAND
; leave unspecified to use map bg color
;NFC5=251,237,217
NFC5=0,0,0

;debugging
;NFC5=255,255,255

; PARK_STATE
;NFC6 = 156,211,156;
NFC6=0,0,0

; PARK_CITY
;NFC7 = 156,211,156;
NFC7=0,0,0

; PARK_MONT
;NFC8 = 156,211,156;
NFC8=0,0,0

; WOODLAND
NFC9=0,0,0

; COUNTRY
NFC10=0,0,0

; STATE
NFC11=0,0,0

; RAILROAD
NFC12=0,0,0

; GOLF
NFC13=0,0,0

; CEMETARY
NFC14=0,0,0

; BUILT_UP
NFC15=0,0,0

; INDUSTRIAL
NFC16=0,0,0

; MILITARY
NFC17=0,0,0

; AIRPORT
;NFC18=205,205,205
NFC18=0,0,0

; RUNWAY
;NFC19=176,176,176
NFC19=0,0,0

;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This will fix your geo-cache issue (turn off all features). NOTE TO ALL: This will work iGuidance 2.1. If you have 2.0, you'll need to replace all the day colors from 255,255,255 to 255,220,128 and the night colors from 0,0,0 to 0,0,96 in the theme.ini (I have verified that this works.

Justin

Edited by - weatheryoko on 21 mai 2005 04:56:04
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  19:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weatheryoko you have just made my day! Thanks! I have never thought of that! How clever, you knew my favourite color theme in iGuidance 2.1 was "White" so you have just turned all geo-features to white during the day, and black at night ;-) This piece of code is staying in my ctheme.ini! It would however be nicer if future version of iGuidance gives the user the ability to do this from within Display Options. I'd like geo-features to be there when I want to impress someone by showing them this software. But when I drive I don't want parks, cemeteries, lakes, airports, etc anymore ;-)

Can you tell me what the first part does?

; map background color (day nite) (Large Scale)
MBC=255,255,255 0,0,0

In my 2.1 it works just fine with just the second portion of the code. I suspect you use 2.0 and the code changes your background? Or is the code supposed to make sure no color of geo-features is affected if "White" theme is not selected? The reason I'm asking is that when I add the first portion of the code iGuidance doesn't start ;-)

Thanks again! It's marvellous!!!

Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  19:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,
The first part is needed when you do a FULL ZOOM OUT (ie. 50 nmi or 100 nmi (whatever you've selected). If you don't have it, the iGuidance will default to the maps background color whatever it is. Otherwise, the maps at full zoom out will seem "splotchy" (spelling?).

Anyway, I'm dying to find out if the road border I sent you worked. Can you let me know how that worked? (I rubbed your back, time to rub mine!) ;-)

Thanks for testing this for me.

Justin
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  20:10:28  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Justin ;-) I was too excited writing my previous reply that I forgot to answer your question ;-) The "border" code does the same thing as in 2.0. It doesn't seem to do anything. I played with it almost an hour :-( But I'm afraid that is not really the answer we are looking for. Even in TomTom the lanes blend together in busy areas even though TomTom uses road borders. Ideal solution is really narrow roads in 3D-view mode. Slim is beautiful.

P.S. In my 2.1 all seems okay at all zoom levels with just the one part of the code!

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 20 mai 2005 20:14:17
Go to Top of Page

weatheryoko

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  20:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking. Bummer it doesn't work. MATBE IGUIDANCE IS LISTENING and will fix the border issue in the theme.ini and the ctheme.ini BEFORE they release it in a couple of weeks (at least lets hope so). Thanks again.

Justin

Now I'm playing with the POI icons. I'll show you what I come up with.

Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2005 :  22:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marvin & Justin ! These are excellent hacks !!!

Based on your lead, I was inspired to create some more icons:

2D Standby / No Signal (yes, it's not a car-shape, I know, 71 x 71px):

2D Weak Signal (24 x 55px):

2D Normal / Strong Signal (24 x 55px):

3D Standby / No Signal (hey, my favorite car - Porsche 911, 59 x 55px ):

3D Weak Signal (59 x 55px):

3D Normal / Strong Signal (59 x 55px):

(Sorry that I don't have time to post a screen shot yet, but they're working ok in my system)

There're so many possibilities of doing fun things here: what about putting a figure of Dark Vader, a puzzling face, your dog, a photo of your own car etc.

Enjoy !

Edited by - dumpper on 21 mai 2005 01:23:04
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2005 :  00:24:47  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I couldn't resist trying the new "arrows" by Dumpper ;-)

Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2005 :  00:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done fixing (see above) Thanks for your help, Marvin ! You really saved the day !
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2005 :  01:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, better-quality icons posted, see above ...

Edited by - dumpper on 21 mai 2005 01:24:02
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2005 :  01:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Instead of the arrows above the car you could consider using the red brake lights (no signal) and the orange tail lights (2D fix)

Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2005 :  01:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin, I've tried doing that already (adding the tail light glowing when there's no signal), but I am not very satisfied with the result, and there's no time tonight since I have to be heading out the city for the long weekend (-; Will post the revised icons next week when I'm back ... Meanwhile, enjoy the current one (as i'll be doing for the next few days) ! (-;
Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2005 :  01:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin
I've been following this thread with interest. I've noticed that the pic formats are generally bmp.

I don't know what file formats will work in IG, but I'm also assuming that they should go in main PDA memory along with the main program. Given that, because of the limited memory of PDA's, these files should be as small as possible - especially if new graphics for POI's are done. They will use up the memory rapidly. The preferred formats for keeping things small are jpg and gif. If you can use either instead of a bmp, I would recommend it. You know the most about the file, so you have probably already tried different formats.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2005 :  01:38:18  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ Dumpper - I know this is just your first "Alpha" version. You love this kind of stuff and I know you will not stop till it is just right. We have something nice to look forward to ;-)

@ Bob - I just opened ResHacker to check this. ResHacker will only use images from *.exe, *.dll, *.res, and *.bmp. These images are very small, so even the *.bmp files are only about 4 or 5 KB in size. Nothing to worry about, really.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 21 mai 2005 01:49:29
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2005 :  11:09:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now you see it...

...and now you don't ;-)

Justin <weatheryoko>
on the previous page of this thread shares with us an excellent idea how we can hide geo-features like cemeteries, airports, lakes, parks, etc.

While driving I like to keep my display screen as simple, clean, and uncluttered as possible. I keep display of POI's turned off, and now I can do the same with geo-features.

POI's I only turn on when I need them. It would be excellent if we could do the same with geo-features, if we could easily turn them on and turn them off within Display Options.

And now perhaps the only remaining item on my list of serious "problems" with iGuidance is the 3D road width issue. When that is solved driving will be a pleasure again just like it used to be in version 1.1.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 21 mai 2005 12:03:21
Go to Top of Page

justintime

34 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2005 :  19:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for you guys:

As you already know, iG will display a bar at the bottom with the name of the street you are currently on. Also, it will display a bar at the top with the name of the street for your next turn. These horizontal bars are 'brown' in color during the daytime view. Not my favorite, but at least the do contrast with the background. OK, now to the point...

In NIGHT mode, the bars are the exact same color as the background (blue). This does not stand out at all, and the problem is it can be confused with the name of a horizontal road across the bottom of the screen, etc. Can this be changed via teme.ini/ctheme.ini files?

Edited by - justintime on 22 mai 2005 19:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2005 :  20:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have 2.0 installed right now, but I wonder if this is it:

; screen titlebar color
STC=255,255,0 0,0,255
;STC=255,255,0 0,0,255

255,255,0 is yellow color, and 0,0,255 is blue. Try to change these values in your theme.ini and let us know if it does anything. Just for testing purposes try this code (it could turn the bars green):

; screen titlebar color
STC=0,255,0 0,255,0
;STC=0,255,0 0,255,0

The above doesn't do anything in 2.1, but that would be expected. We will just have to wait for iNav to officially release their version of CTHEME.INI so we can start again having more fun ;-)

-------------------
EDITED: Well, while playing with it I realized the above code doesn't do what you need. However, the above code changes the color of the bar that appears on the top of the map window when you pan (move) the map. It also changes the color of the text. We may have some fun with it now ;-) If you use ResHacker, you may go to View > FindText, and then search for "Panning". You will locate the text which you could customize any way you wish ;-)

Before & After pictures:

Here is the code to change the bar to green and the font to black:

; screen titlebar color
STC=0,0,0 0,255,0
;STC=255,255,0 0,0,255

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 24 mai 2005 00:31:07
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2005 :  15:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

See More Roads

; max funclass to draw @ zoom level
MDFC=5 5 5 5 5 4 3 3 2 2 1
;MDFC=5 5 5 5 4 4 3 3 2 2 1

The code above tells iGuidance which road types (and geo-features) to display on our laptops or PDA’s. If you use the exact above code in your CTHEME.INI nothing much will change. However, you may modify the values if you wish to see more roads at higher zoom levels.

The code has 11 digits representing 11 zoom levels. The numbers 5 mean that we could potentially see all 5 different road classes at a particular zoom level. Number 1 will allow us to see only major highways.

I changed all values to "5" to see what road types iGuidance would let me view at different zoom levels:

; max funclass to draw @ zoom level
MDFC=5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
;MDFC=5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

Following are before & after screenshots at three different zoom levels:

Before & After @ 2km Zoom Level:

Before & After @ 10km Zoom Level:

Before & After @ 80km Zoom Level:

I spent several hours today driving with this modification and I see no negative effect on the performance of iGuidance, but I suspect slower computers may suffer since we are really asking iGuidance to display more roads (and also more parks, lakes, rivers, etc). However, this function is available should anyone wish to experiment with it. I personally find it useful and the code is going to stay in my CTHEME.INI file. Only 2D-view is affected as far as I can tell, and that is just fine. There is really no need for this in 3D-view mode.

PDA users: I haven't tested this one tweak on a PPC because I suspect it may just unnecessarily slowdown an average PDA. But I may be wrong. If someone tries it please let us know.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 12 juin 2005 03:56:56
Go to Top of Page

wysocki

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2005 :  17:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the new ctheme.ini provide a way to increase the fonts on the dialog boxes? For example, if I click on a POI the popup dialog box font describing the POI is almost impossible to read on my 7" screen.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2005 :  18:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The *.ini will not do it, but I looked at iguidance.exe in ResHacker and while it appears to be possible to manipulate the size of dialog boxes and the size of buttons within the dialog boxes and also the font size of the buttons, I'm afraid I don't know at this moment how to increase the font size of the particular item that interests you, which is the actual POI information within the dialog box. But I haven't really had much time to explore this. I will play with it more hopefully tomorrow.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 25 mai 2005 22:59:15
Go to Top of Page

justintime

34 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2005 :  00:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome find Marvin! I love the new settings for MDFC variable.

If I use all 5's, iG crashes at 1500ft zoom level. (using iG 2.0) I have to use this, but it looks great anyways, a huge improvement.
MDFC=5 5 5 5 5 5 3 3 3 3 3
(not that its too useful, but it looks great at higher zoom levels :)

Thanks for maintaining this thread. Keep it alive!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2005 :  00:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
;-) Thanks for the feedback. Actually there would likely be no difference between my "5, 5, 5, 5...." and your MDFC=5 5 5 5 5 5 3 3 3 3 3 since iGuidance will not display smaller roads at the extreme zoom levels anyway. But I just put #5 everywhere out of pure laziness, and since it didn't crash in my setup I left it like that. Your settings though may be more appropriate.

I do find it "somewhat useful" As long as it doesn't slow the program down I would recommend it.

More 2D Road Width Fine-Tuning

I just spent some time fine-tuning 2D road width mainly because I wanted to see more difference between the grey color roads of different class. (I also wanted to make every road class as narrow as possible.) This is what I ended up with:

Before & after pictures:

Bellow is my code if someone wishes to do something similar. The values in red are the relevant values to change. Enter numbers from 1 to 5 and see what it does at different zoom levels.

; road pen width in pixels @ 100ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW0=3 3 3 4 3
;RPW0=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 200ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW1=2 2 2 3 2
;RPW1=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 500ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW2=2 2 2 2 1
;RPW2=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 1000ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW3=2 2 2 2 1
;RPW3=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 2500ft FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW4=1 1 1 2 1
;RPW4=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 1mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW5=1 1 1 2 1
;RPW5=2 2 2 2 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 2mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW6=2 2 1 1 1
;RPW6=2 2 1 1 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 5mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW7=2 2 1 1 1
;RPW7=2 1 1 1 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 10mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW8=1 1 1 1 1
;RPW8=2 1 1 1 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 25mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW9=1 1 1 1 1
;RPW9=2 1 1 1 1
; road pen width in pixels @ 100mi FC1-2-3-4-5
RPW10=1 1 1 1 1
;RPW10=1 1 1 1 1

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 12 juin 2005 03:50:17
Go to Top of Page

wysocki

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2005 :  20:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great detective work, Marvin. Looks like iNav is now trying to catch up in the PR game but it's a shame they couldn't just work closer with the carpc community of tweakers to make this into the #1 nav system on the market. Anyway, I'm really happy with my street name sizes in 2.1 now, BUT... how about city names? Any way to change their font/size?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2005 :  21:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wysocki

...it's a shame they couldn't just work closer with the carpc community of tweakers to make this into the #1 nav system on the market...

It is hard to comment on that because we really don't know what plans for their product the developer has. But, yes, I agree that on the surface it may at times appear that some user communities are not being taken as seriously as they would perhaps deserve.

quote:
Originally posted by wysocki

... how about city names? Any way to change their font/size?

I haven't come across a setting like that yet. There appears to be a way to change the zoom level threshold at which city names appear, but I haven't felt the need to change that. I wish there we were able to change the threshold for street names. I'd like to try if it would make sense to still see street names at 2km (1 mile) level.

Go to Top of Page

zebelkhan

8 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2005 :  21:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first post but I have been reviewing the threads for a little while now and thanks to the members, especially Marvin, have been able to "upgrade" my iGuidance 2.0 quite a bit. So thank you!

I do have a question for Marvin though. In your post above regarding
"more 2D Road Width Fine Tuning" you have two occurances of line RPW10=1 1 1 1 1. Should one of them be RPW11=1 1 1 1 1?
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2005 :  22:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Zebelkhan,

Welcome to the forums!

Good catch, thanks! The bottom three lines of the code didn't belong there at all. It got there by an accident ;-) I was experimenting with trying to add more zoom levels and in the process of doing that I changed code for a few other features (incorrectly for this particular feature I see now).

I just edited the code above. Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

wiredwrx2

6 Posts

Posted - 01 juin 2005 :  07:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, perhaps my luck is just bad. Seeing how easy the hack was with IG, and as soon as Marvin said that ctheme worked with 2.1, I went and ordered it and gotr rid of Routis. Well, the place I ordered from said they were waiting for 2.1.1, the DVD version. Of course, I wanted the older versions, but I got the DVD version 2.1.1 Tried the ctheme, and it doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone had any success with version 2.1.1.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Notsure

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  00:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wiredwrx2

Well, perhaps my luck is just bad. Seeing how easy the hack was with IG, and as soon as Marvin said that ctheme worked with 2.1, I went and ordered it and gotr rid of Routis. Well, the place I ordered from said they were waiting for 2.1.1, the DVD version. Of course, I wanted the older versions, but I got the DVD version 2.1.1 Tried the ctheme, and it doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone had any success with version 2.1.1.

Michael

I just received version 2.1 and I'm about to order my free ($9 US I think) 2.1.1 upgrade. Wanna swap? I have the 3CD version of 2.1 which I received last week from BuyGPSNow with my BT-338.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  00:53:36  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ Michael: I should be a proud owner of DVD 2.1.1 in a few days. If we don't sort this out sooner than that, I will let you know as soon as I have a chance to try CTHEME.INI on the new 2.1.1.

@ Notsure: Check this link http://www.inavcorp.com/news.html#news9 Read the section titled "Free v2.1.1 exchange for existing v2.1 customers"

Go to Top of Page

Notsure

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  01:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did see that Martin but this table seems to indicate I need to pay shipping/handling.

http://www.inavcorp.com/upgrade/index.html

Now I'm confused! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  01:18:20  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the product itself is free, but the post office wants their fee :-(

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  02:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That must be a Canadian thing, Marv. My version is in the mail. No charge for shipping or handling. However, I did have to pay to ship the old CD's back. But I'm still mad. Since I live in Va (opposite end of the US), I enclosed a stamped, self-addressed Priority Mail envelope with $3.85 postage on it (thought I'd get it faster that way). They totally disregarded that and sent it First Class mail. That ties in with one of my previous posts - not only do they ignore suggestions from the forum users, but they disregard customer requests.....even when it saves them money and time. All they had to do was to slip it in the envelope, seal it and mail it...instead, they went through the trouble of addressing, etc and sent it via a slower way than requested. Who knows, maybe my envelope and stamp will be inside the package that they are sending.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  03:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
;-) I only read the link Notsure supplied, and based on reading it I assumed the postage is paid by the customer. I might have misunderstood the webpage though ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Notsure

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  03:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've got nothing to lose but my 2.1 disks. :-) So, I'll send them along and see if the 2.1.1 DVD comes back.
Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  04:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marv,
The link "Notsure" sent you was the GENERAL upgrade policy for all versions of IG.
The link that you sent him is specifically for people who have just upgraded to 2.1 when it was released. That is the info specifically for people who have 2.1. I don't think that it applies to people who bought 2.0.2 (ie vers 2.1 without the map update).
If you haven't looked at their website recently, you ought to go have a look. Much improved. They even have the size of the maps for each state and province along with screen shots and a list of POI categories.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2005 :  11:47:48  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Squaredancer for the clarification. It makes more sense now. I didn't pay too much attention to the postage payment details because I will be picking up my DVD 2.1.1 in person when it arrives to a local distributor here in Toronto in a few days.

And now let’s bring this thread back on topic...

Michael <wiredwrx2> just discovered "the hard way" that the newest iGuidance 2.1.1 requires CTHEME.INI file to be named again THEME.INI

Version number / *.ini name required

iGuidance 2.0 / THEME.INI

iGuidance 2.0.1 / THEME.INI

iGuidance 2.0.2 / CTHEME.INI

iGuidance 2.1 / CTHEME.INI

iGuidance 2.1.1 / THEME.INI

iGuidance 2.1.2 / THEME.INI

iGuidance 2.1.3 / THEME.INI

Thanks Michael!

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 23 oct. 2005 06:17:58
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2005 :  02:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New iGuidance version 2.1.1 is here...

Often when a new version of a software product is released it may contain undocumented features. It may be that perhaps programmers did improve some feature but did not consider it to be too important to advertise it as a new feature. Or there may be other reasons. Such undocumented features may not be of importance to many users, but a few may consider them to be worth a lot. It all depends how we use the product.

Version 2.1.1 has at least two such undocumented "features":

1. New F-key keyboard shortcut that toggles full screen mode. There is no longer need to modify iguidance.exe file + use iGkeys to achieve single-key shortcut to full screen mode. (In a week or so I will release new iGkeys version to reflect this change)

2. It seems to be now possible to create a registry tweak for iGuidance 2.1.1 to have a full automatic recalculate feature

There may be more hidden undocumented features which we may discover later. Perhaps we may be able to do more within THEME.INI now. The time will tell. Thank you iGuidance for a nice new version!

* * * FULL * * * Re-calculate (Registry Tweak)

This only works in the new iGuidance 2.1.1. I did try it with my “old” 2.1, but it does not work.

Issue: Members of this forum have observed that iGuidance under certain conditions may tend to re-route back to the originally calculated route rather than calculate a new optimal route if you deviate from the suggested path. Route re-calculation algorithm is (like everything in life) a compromise. It is a compromise between quality and speed. But while speed of route re-calculation may be of concern to PDA users, it should not be of any concern to those who use laptops or carputers with a decent processor.

Here are step-by-step instructions how to force FULL automatic re-calculation of route.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. There is no guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

These modifications are not supported in any way by the makers of iGuidance, gpspassion.com, or myself. These are just “tweaks” that appear to work correctly.

Before proceeding you should know how to backup and restore the registry. For more information you may read Windows Registry Guide www.regedit.com

1. Click the START button in the bottom left corner of your screen, then click "Run" and type regedit and click OK.

2. In the Registry Editor navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/iNav/iGuidance and click iGuidance folder to highlight it.

3. In the right pane of Registry Editor, somewhere on the bottom, right-click on an empty area, and then go to New and click DWORD Value.

4. New Value #1 will appear which you will rename as on the picture below

5. Name the new DWORD entry Recalc and then click anywhere on an empty area on the screen.

Congratulations! You are done! Close Registry editor and start your iGuidance 2.1.1 and go for a drive ;-)

--------------
PDA users: I haven't tested this one tweak on a PPC because I suspect it may just unnecessarily slowdown an average PDA. But I may be wrong. If someone tries it please let us know how you find the speed of re-calculation. (Let us wait how iGuidance programmers fine-tune re-calculation for the next version.)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 12 juin 2005 04:07:09
Go to Top of Page

risurfdog

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2005 :  15:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this is a great tweak. I didn't see how you recalculate after doing this hack. Is there a HotKey?

It seems this is supposed be totally automatic, If it is, how far off the route do you have to go for it to kick in? Has you tried it yet Marvin?

Edited by - risurfdog on 13 juin 2005 15:51:53
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2005 :  16:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, no there is no hotkey required. It is fully automatic. All it does is that now when you deviate from your plotted route iGuidance will calculate your new route "fully" instead of just "partially". It is a bit harder on the system resources that is why I'm sceptical of this being practical for PDA users, but users of the Windows version may benefit (unless their computer is too old).

Possibly what PDA users could do for now, if they wish to have an easier access to Full Recalc, is to go to Tools > Hotkey Options and set a hotkey for Detour function. When you wish to fully recalc hit the hotkey and then hit the green “Nav” button.

I only did the registry tweak on my WinXP machine. With my PPC I will wait and see how the programmers fine-tune the recalc for the next version.

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 14 juin 2005 :  21:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin: Re: Registry Tweak for Recalc
How much do you know about the PDA registry. I was going to try the recalc on my PDA, but it seems that the registry is formatted differently. I can create a new Key, but instead of just creating a file entry, it creates a folder. Additionally, I don't have the option of selecting "DWord". I tried a couple of different editors, and the choices seemed to be the same.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2005 :  00:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Squaredancer, my PPC experience is limited to using my PDA Phone for the past few months. I know that there are some downloadable registry editors, but I’ve never tried any. Perhaps I should. Maybe I will. But if you didn't succeed, likely I will not either.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2005 :  01:19:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is what I just did:

1. I downloaded and installed 7 day free trial of Kilmist Registry Editor from the following link: http://www.kilmist.com/ppcRegistryEditor.aspx

2. I navigated to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/iNav/iGuidance and then I clicked Registry > Number Value

3. I entered Value: recalc and Data: 0 (zero)

4. That is all, but I didn't test it. It is dinner time ;-) I'll test tomorrow

The usual warnings apply... info is provided without warranty and on a 'use at your own risk' basis

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2005 :  01:54:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marv. See, that shows the power of intelligence. I used that same editor, on instead of selecting "Number Value", I chose "New Key". Then a folder was created...Knew it wasn't right....I was lost....

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2005 :  02:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
;-) Let's give it a try and let's share our experiences with it. But I do suspect it will slow down a PDA and we may not like it. If it were that simple the programmers would have enabled it by default. However, since the programmers added this to 2.1.1 it clearly shows they are working on fine-tuning re-routing, and that is what counts!

Go to Top of Page

ToddJ

126 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2005 :  21:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marvin! I would love to get these fonts bigger on my Pocket PC....they are really, really hard to see...for the Pocket PC, can you also change it so the names of POIs show up not only at 100 or 200 feet, but higher than that? is there any way to have the lakes names pop up too (I live in Minnesota, where there is 10,000 of them so it would be kinda cool to get know some of 'em :)
Go to Top of Page

ToddJ

126 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2005 :  21:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, is there any way to get rid of that little 'ping' sound it makes when you are supposed to turn? way back when (with the Belkin Nagivation system aka iGuidance 1.1) it used to just say 'turn left' or 'turn right' but now it has that really annoying sound. I probably could just find that .wav file and delete it, but wasn't sure if that would be a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2005 :  02:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ToddJ, it is possible to change the size of font for STREET NAMES (pc and ppc), but I'm not aware of the other items on your list. I'll double check tomorrow, but I doubt I will find something new.

The sound file: I'd recommend not to just delete it, but rather replace it with a short and silent *.wav file.

Go to Top of Page

Cornell77

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2005 :  14:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,

Have you tested the speed of your pocket pc/pda phone with the recalc registry change?

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2005 :  15:38:09  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cornell77,

Welcome to the forums! Yes, I tested it the following morning. My pda phone (i-mate JAM) has a 416MHz processor and the tweak worked well (to my satisfaction). When I entered a destination far from me (~1,000km, or 600 miles) the recalculating took about 5 seconds (as expected).

I'm going to keep this registry change not just on my PC but also on the PDA Phone. But since I use the ppc version so infrequently I'd like to hear other users how they feel about it.

If it slows down the recalculating too much for your liking, you can always just delete the one line in your Registry (Tap and hold the word "Recalc", and when the menu opens just select "Delete".

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2005 :  17:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just added INDEX to the first page of this thread to make it easier for first time readers to locate some of the customization ideas discussed here.

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2005 :  17:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marv,
I did the recalc to my ASUS 730, and don't notice any change in recalc times.

BTW - I found an excellent freeware PDA Registry Editor that even has the term "DWord" in it. It seems more like the PC editor that we are used to. It's PHM Registry Editor and the link is:

http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2005 :  17:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToddJ

is there any way to get rid of that little 'ping' sound it makes when you are supposed to turn?

I think that the "ping" is associated with their "FOG Alert" in Display settings. I think that if you turn that off, it will turn off the ping.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2005 :  18:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob that's great!!! ;-)

(But you should notice it when you are driving around with a long distance trip plotted (e.g. 1000 miles) on your PPC.)

Thanks for the link!

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2005 :  20:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
COLOR PALETTE

THEME.INI file let’s us change colors of roads, routes, geo-features, etc. We may fine-tune the colors to our personal preferences by changing the RGB (Red Green Blue) value inside the configuration file.

There are several web sites that provide at least the basic color palette. Here is one: http://www.visibone.com/colorlab/ Just click on the color of your choice inside the image on top left side of the page and you will be presented the RGB value.

That however is a very basic color palette and it really doesn’t provide enough colors for our purpose.

Many people have Microsoft Word on their computers. You can easily gain access to the whole spectrum of colors, just by starting your MS Word, and on the Formatting toolbar click the little arrow beside the Font Color button (The button with letter A icon). There click "More Colors", and then click "Custom". Make sure RGB is selected as Color Model. When you click on any color of the spectrum you will see corresponding RGB value below.

Go to Top of Page

rem

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 01 juil. 2005 :  00:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The annoying "ping" at turn time is mvr.wav in the snd folder. I've recorded a blank mvr.wav which works good. Lately I changed it to say "turn point" by using sound recorder to clip and merge the nice lady's voice from other files. I like it a lot better this way.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 01 juil. 2005 :  04:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SILENCE instead of the "Ding" sound

Rem, thanks for the tip. I personally don't mind the sound, but if some users wish to substitute it with a silent wav file, here it is:

>> Mvr.wav <<

Right-click, and then save in: Program Files\iNav\iGuidance\Snd

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 01 juil. 2005 14:25:08
Go to Top of Page

ToddJ

126 Posts

Posted - 01 juil. 2005 :  17:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok...i downloaded the Kilmist Registry Editor. I don't know where to find the ctheme.ini file..does anyone have a copy of it? The version of iGuidance i have is 2.1 ...thanks
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 01 juil. 2005 :  19:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, a registry editor will help you if you wish to try the Full Re-Calc tweak. It is not needed for creation or modification of a theme.ini or ctheme.ini file.

Users of iGuidance 2.0 may download theme.ini from http://www.inavcorp.com/support/downloads.html Soon there should be a similar file available for later versions of iGuidance. But if you do not wish to wait, you may experiment with creating your own *.ini file. The procedure is very simple. The file is just a text file which you may create for example in Notepad application. Here is how you could begin:

Create your 1st theme.ini file

Let's create our own very first and very simple THEME.INI file. It will increase the map font size on our PDA or laptop.

The code for increasing the map font size may look like this:

; street name font size in points @ zoom level
STS=20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20

The number 20 is the font size, and the 20 is actually a bit too big, and you may later decide to lower it a bit to anything you like. The reason there are 11 20's is because we have 11 zoom levels in iGuidance now, and if you wish you may even experiment with setting a differtent font size for different zoom levels.

How to do it:

1. On your Windows computer go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Notepad

2. Copy & paste the code into Notepad so it looks like this:

3. On the Menu bar in Notepad click File > Save As

4. For now select Desktop as the save location

5. In the Save As dialog, in the Save as type field select All Files. This is very important. If this step is missed, the newly created file will be saved with TXT extension and it will just not work.

6. Enter file name. It will be either theme.ini or ctheme.ini. See page 4 of this thread to find out the correct file name for your iGuidance version.

7. Click Save and you are done. The last step is to right-click the file on your desktop and Cut & Paste it to the correct location either on your PC or PPC. The location in either case should be Program Files\iNav\iGuidance

(Re)start iGuidance for changes to take effect.

I'm sure after the initial success with increasing the font size you will want to experiment with adding more "components" into the *.ini file. Have fun ;-)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 01 juil. 2005 19:58:50
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2005 :  13:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ETA/REM/DEST/SPEED box is too small

I have heard a lot of users complaining about the inability to enlarge the font size within the ETA box. I’m not sure if this is just an issue that the laptop users experience. Perhaps the size of the ETA box is sufficient on a PDA (?).

To our help comes Lens, a freeware program downloadable at: http://www.markuswelz.de/freeware/index.html#Lens

To set up Lens is simple. After downloading and installing this tiny 128 kB file follow these steps:

1. Right-click inside Lens window and place a check mark in fron of “Lock (Press ‘space’ to toggle)” option

2. Move mouse arrow over the ETA box so you see it enlarged within Lens window

3. When you are happy with the position of the ETA box within Lens, press space bar on your keyboard to lock the position.

4. Adjust the Lens window size by dragging its borders with your mouse.

So I don’t have to adjust the Lens window size and position each time I start it, I use it in conjunction with HandyThing 3.12 Basic, a desktop utility program that can automatically move and size windows when you run a program. ( http://www.starfishbay.com/handything/ )

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 04 juil. 2005 15:18:40
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2005 :  14:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have looked at many other screen magnifier applications over the last few days and I came across another which I like. It is however not free like Lens, but it offers a couple of nice features I like very much:

1. It has no Title Bar, it only has nice and narrow borders, and because of this it looks like it is a part of iGuidance

2. Once you set the size, position, and the area you wish to magnify, the application will remember it all the next time you start it. There will be absolutely nothing you need to set every time you start it.

The Magnifier v.1.20 by Innovation Management Group, Inc. free demo version can be downloaded from:
http://www.imgpresents.com/magnify/mag.htm

The price is US $49.95 (!), but there is another version "For Experienced and Sophisticated Users who do not need product or technical support". This LS (Limited Support) version is $19.95, but there is one more catch: currently the company doesn't offer download of the full version after you purchase it. A CD will be mailed to you, and there is shipping cost involved. I paid I think $8 for s/h. Upon e-mail request they agreed to e-mail me the small file so I don't have to wait till the CD arrives in mail.

(According the user manual it appears to be possible to integrate The Magnifier into other applications, should someone be interested.)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2005 :  17:14:41  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

David Burban (a.k.a. 0l33l) of mp3car.com put together a nice little application that does what Lens and Magnifier do, but it’s free, and it looks better than the above two programs.

0l33l named his creation very appropriately iGZoom. Since the first version released just a few short days ago, 0l33l managed to add some nice features, and now iGZoom has no borders, no title bar, and it doesn’t even have a presence in the Windows Task Bar. It looks even better than the expensive Magnifier, because iGZoom has no borders of its own. When we "zoom" the borders around the "original" ETA box of iGuidance, the two separate applications, iGuidance and iGZoom, really look now like one application ;-)

You may even click on iGZoom. First click on iGZoom will move your mouse pointer to the "original" ETA box, and subsequent mouse clicks will "cycle" thru available choices (ETA, DEST, REM, Speed).

iGZoom consists of two files: iGZoom.exe, and zoom.ini. When you open the configuration .ini file in Notepad, you will see something similar to the following:

[Settings]
Zoom=1
X=987
Y=731
FormTop=22
FormLeft=113
FormHeight=60
FormWidth=141
ShowCrosshairs=false

We change the size of iGZoom window by changing FormHeight & FormWidth values. The above 60 x 141 is size that works well in my setup using 1024 by 768 pixels screen resolution.

We tell iGZoom which area of our screen to enlarge by changing X & Y values. The above 987 x 731 is a setting that should work well if you use iGuidance in full screen mode, and your screen resolution is set to 1024 by 768 pixels.

There is no need to change the FormTop & FormLeft values to tell iGZoom where you want it to appear, because you can just drag it with your mouse to your desired position. iGZoom remembers its last position on your screen. (However, the 22 x 113 values represent the position where I like to keep iGZoom on my screen.)

I recommend creating a folder named iGZoom within Program Files (e.g. C:\Program Files\iGZoom), and then download iGZoom & unzip it into that folder. Then update your version of iGkeys, which now supports iGZoom (and no longer supports the expensive Magnifier).

Here is the download link for iGZoom: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55324

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 27 juil. 2005 22:42:19
Go to Top of Page

ToddJ

126 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2005 :  20:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where is the info for the button preferences? (for pocket pc)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 06 août 2005 :  19:32:33  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tools > Hotkey Options (but I'm not sure if that's what you are asking)

Go to Top of Page

mbdriver

Denmark
12 Posts

Posted - 16 août 2005 :  15:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the full automatic recalculate feature outlined on page 4 works with iGuidance 2.1.2? I see that it works with 2.1.1 and that it doesn't with 2.1.

I am using iGuidance 2.1.2 Europe if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 août 2005 :  17:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My guess would be that it should work in 2.1.2, and when (if) I get my hands on that version I will definitely do the recal registry tweak (I cannot live without it anymore )

In the mean time (till somebody confirms if it really works) you can plot a route and don’t follow it. Keep track of how many U-turn prompts you get, and where you get them. Then perform the registry tweak and take the same route and see if you get better re-calculation performance (no unreasonable U-turn prompts at all).

Go to Top of Page

mbdriver

Denmark
12 Posts

Posted - 19 août 2005 :  21:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I applied the recal hack and did some more testing. It works great. Using iGkeys, IGZoom, the recal hack and some .wav file editing (replaced the 'ding' sound with silence), iGuidance now works very much the way I want it to.

Here's my remaining wish list (although I think there's little anyone but iNav and Navteq can do about it):

• More landscape detail. There is little variation and no indication of forests etc, only land, water and city. Don't get me wrong - navigation works very well! I would just like to see more details on the map.

• House numbers appear before street names in the European version. In Europe it should be the other way around.

• Rewind/fast forward function during playback of saved routes. Right now you have to watch the entire thing from start to end.
But all in all - this is a very good navigation system. I have used the VDO MS6000 in-car navi system in some of my previous cars but iG beats it hands down. Of course it is a very different product, but I would have a hard time going back now.

Edited by - mbdriver on 19 août 2005 21:15:00
Go to Top of Page

Frosty Vibe

Canada
167 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2005 :  05:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the theme.ini today for my 2.1.1 and it all worked great on my PPC and PC.

Many thanks to those who contributed!

Now, is there a way to change the colour schemes of the default themes? I find all the themes to be quite hard to read during the day time when I am driving. The night modes are all great though.

Thanks again for sharing. :)

iPAQ 2210 + LeadTek 9537 BT GPS + RiData 66X 512mb SD + SanDisk 128mb CF + Mapopolis 4.33 +iGuidance V2.1.1
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2005 :  11:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the page #1 of this thread iNav said there would be an "official announcement" of a new *.ini which "will also have the added codes to reflect the map color theme feature". I haven't heard any news since, though.

Go to Top of Page

Frosty Vibe

Canada
167 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2005 :  05:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

On page 5 you posted something about Colour Palatte and how users can change colours of the roads...

How exactly does one go about changing the colours?

Thank you :)

iPAQ 2210 + LeadTek 9537 BT GPS + RiData 66X 512mb SD + SanDisk 128mb CF + Mapopolis 4.33 +iGuidance V2.1.1
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2005 :  13:17:31  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is also something we will have to wait for in the new theme.ini. The old *.ini designed for iGuidance 2.0 addressed only one color theme, but since we now have 4 color themes in iGuidance 2.1.x the old theme.ini file doesn't work (correctly) the way it is. Here is the relevant portion of the old *.ini which changed the road color:

; day map road pen color FC1-2-3-4-5
; to use same colors for all zoom levels only specify DMRPC(max)
DMRPC0=255,29,34 255,29,34 230,143,38 153,115,98 153,115,98
DMRPC1=255,29,34 255,29,34 230,143,38 153,115,98 153,115,98
DMRPC2=255,29,34 255,29,34 230,143,38 153,115,98 153,115,98
DMRPC3=255,29,34 255,29,34 230,143,38 157,119,102 157,119,102
DMRPC4=255,29,34 255,29,34 230,143,38 167,131,116 187,160,149
DMRPC5=255,29,34 255,29,34 230,143,38 153,115,98 175,147,133
DMRPC6=242,0,8 242,0,8 230,143,38 175,147,133 175,147,133
DMRPC7=242,0,8 242,0,8 230,143,38 153,115,98 145,107,91
DMRPC8=242,0,8 242,0,8 230,143,38 153,115,98 145,107,91
DMRPC9=242,0,8 242,0,8 230,143,38 153,115,98 145,107,91
DMRPC10=242,0,8 242,0,8 230,143,38 153,115,98 145,107,91
;DMRPC10=159,23,23 159,23,23 210,105,30 210,105,30 128,128,128
; nite map road pen color FC1-2-3-4-5
; to use same colors for all zoom levels only specify NMRPC(max)
NMRPC0=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC1=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC2=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC3=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC4=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC5=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC6=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC7=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC8=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC9=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
NMRPC10=192,64,64 192,64,64 160,160,64 96,96,96 96,96,96
;NMRPC10=159,23,23 159,23,23 210,105,30 210,105,30 128,128,128

I don't know how to modify it so it works correctly in my iGuidance 2.1.1 which I currently use. (I use the White color theme.)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2005 :  19:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David Burban (a.k.a. 0l33l)
just released version 2 of his iGZoom,
adding 2 functions requested by users.

Thanks!

1. Ability to stay on top of area being magnified

2. Ability not to save current location after dragging

Here is the link: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57998

Now I'm going to modify iGkeys so support this new version of iGZoom.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2005 :  00:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
iGuidance 2.1.2

I installed the newest iGuidance 2.1.2 this morning and just want to let you guys know the Recalc Registry Tweak doesn't seem to work. At least it doesn't work when applied the way we used to do it with 2.1.1 version. The programmers must have done some changes there and we may (or may not) find out how to do the same with this new release. I will try to inquire, hopefully they will let us know. In the mean time I will switch back to 2.1.1. (One of my first thoughts was that perhaps the programmers did some changes to how iGuidance recalculates now, but after unsuccessful attempt to apply the recalc tweak I did try the 2.1.2 alone, but it still exhibits the old U-turn issue.)

Also I noticed at least one function of theme.ini now works differently than in 2.1.1, so some change was made by the programmers in that area as well. But I cannot say if positive or negative since we really don't have a properly designed theme.ini for this version yet. But good news is that iNav Corp will be soon updating their entire website, and in their own words: "including making the new theme.ini file available for all registered users to download-- and will probably have the file emailed right before the web posting" So we have something to look forward to.

For users who wish to try the newest 2.1.2, it should be available for download at www.inavcorp.com during 1st part of 9/2005

Go to Top of Page

Frosty Vibe

Canada
167 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2005 :  06:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Marvin for the code...

I normally use the Yellow theme, so the codes worked perfectly.

Go to Top of Page

dragonjo8

6 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2005 :  21:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

iGuidance 2.1.2

...Also I noticed at least one function of theme.ini now works differently than in 2.1.1, so some change was made by the programmers in that area as well. But I cannot say if positive or negative since we really don't have a properly designed theme.ini for this version yet. But good news is that iNav Corp will be soon updating their entire website, and in their own words: "including making the new theme.ini file available for all registered users to download-- and will probably have the file emailed right before the web posting" So we have something to look forward to....

Marvin...what function are you referring to?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 30 août 2005 :  01:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, in the "old" 2.1.1 the theme.ini road width settings control not just 2D, but also 3D road thickness at least at higher altitude zoom levels (1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 40, and 80km). I quite often use the 1km (2500ft) zoom level. Now in 2.1.2 the theme.ini has no effect on this zoom level in 3D, and roads are just too thick for my liking. I used to have them set at 1 or 2 pixels at that level. but that is just my personal preference.

But we will really have to wait for the proper theme.ini from iNav to see what is or isn't possible ;-)

The main reason I returned back to 2.1.1 is the recalc registry tweak.

Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2005 :  20:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin in your first page of instructions you give the bitmaps locations in resource hacker.

I have found three that weren't included. They are used if you select "Nort Up" in the map display.

The locations are 142,143,144
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2005 :  20:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, welcome to GpsPasSion Forums ! Actually 142, 143, and 144 are there. They are in the 2D "category", right above the 3D ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 02 sept. 2005 :  22:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
iNav Corp. just requested that Netropa Corp./Intellinav (the iGuidance developer) increases the size of the trip status box in iGuidance in the next “map upgrade” (which I believe means version 3).

This doesn’t mean it will happen. It only means that iNav asked for it. Netropa is currently extremely short of engineering/programming resources (too many projects going on for them right now and they are pulled in all direction).

The trips status box (ETA, Dest, Rem, Speed) size is currently way too small in the laptop version (but I think the PDA version is okay).

Let us keep our fingers crossed.

Also iNav asked the programmers to make it again possible to force full-route recalculation by registry change as in 2.1.1 (2.1.2 doesn’t offer this, or at least we don’t know how to do it). Revised version should be available for download from www.inavcorp.com in due time. (This fixes the "unreasonable" u-turn prompts issue.)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 04 sept. 2005 16:59:00
Go to Top of Page

meowmeow

7 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2005 :  16:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is possible to record my own voice on IG 2.1? if yes how to replace the wave files? thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2005 :  16:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Record your own voice prompts

Hi Meowmeow,

Welcome to GpsPasSion Forums!

Yes, it is indeed possible to create your own voice files and use them instead of the existing iGuidance sounds. Technically it is easy; the only difficult part is to find a person who has a nice voice appropriate for this project. I like the original iGuidance female sound of both the North American and also the European version. (Hmm, actually the European version lady talks a bit too slow for my liking ;-)

All that you need to do is to replace the original sound files *.wav located in the following folders on PC or PocketPC.

iGuidance North America:
\Program Files\iNav\iGuidance\Snd

iGuidance Europe:
\Program Files\iNav\iGuidance Europe\Snd

You will need software for recording and editing sounds. A free one is available for download here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If you manage to create something that you feel is even better than the original iGuidance voice, please share it with us!

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Brown

24 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2005 :  17:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this, it's really cool stuff...
Go to Top of Page

meowmeow

7 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2005 :  17:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marvin
I only need to replace the freeway.wave file to be a highway.wave.also just find out ,when you drive on the highway IG only tells you to exit without exit numbers, is anyway to let IG tell you what number of exit ahead on the highway? I think that will be a lot better and safety whenever driving over 60-70 ml/hr. thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2005 :  17:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I personally would also prefer to hear the word "highway" (instead of "freeway"), but it's not a big deal ;-) I'd rather live with the way it is now then to introduce a completely different voice just for the one prompt.

Hmm, unless there is some word in the existing sound files that contain the sound "hi". Then we could cut that sound and paste it in front of the "way" sound from the word "freeway". I'll look into that, but I think there is no word there right now that has the "hi" sound in it.

By the way, iGuidance Europe uses the word "motorway".

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  03:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!!! This is really amazing.You guys are doing some amazing stuff. I just stumbled onto this forum, but after seeing the cool stuff you all are doing, I went ahead and registered.
I really am an amateur at this. I hope you wont be bothered if I ask for a favor. I really like the car icons instead of the arrow. But, I dont know how to do this in the program. I have iGuidance 2.1.
I look forward to learn a lot of cool stuff from you guys and be active in the forums.
Cheers!!!
Krantz
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  03:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Krantz,

Welcome to GpsPasSion Forums!

Yes, iGuidance allows for a generous amount of customization. Especially the theme.ini file is fun to explore. But if you wish to experiment with changing the GPS icon then your first step will be to download ResHacker >>here<< Open iguidance.exe within ResHacker and locate the picture files of the arrows. They are bitmaps with .bmp extension (no .jpg, no .gif, you need .bmp for this).

Most of what you need you will likely find on the pages of this thread. If something is missing, ask and we'll try to help.

Go to Top of Page

Frosty Vibe

Canada
167 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  05:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

I have a questions regarding screen toggles. By default, the "Guidance screen" comes up 200m before the turn and the "count down" happens 50m before the turn... if there a way to specify the distance parameters via theme ini?

Thank you for your help.

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  05:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried the new icons for the arrows. I did the replace using resHack. But I still get the same icons when I open iGuidance. Do these icons have to be placed in a specific directory? I just copied them to my desktop and did the resHack replace.
Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  07:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to successfully change the bitmaps for the arrows. I have a new question. The map zooms out only to a max scale of 50mi in my laptop and 10mi on my pda. How can I make iGuidance to show me a larger scale, for instance if I travel from Houston to Chicago, I want to see the route in one screen. Is this possible. Please let me know.Thnx
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  12:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frosty Vibe I'm afraid I know of no way how to change the behaviour of Guidance Screen (I personally don't even use that feature. I set Guidance Screen to "Manual" in Display Options, even though I think it is a useful feature)

krantzima yes, we do indeed have at least a little bit of control over zoom levels thanks to theme.ini:

Customization of Zoom Levels

If you wish to experiment with increasing the maximum zoom level, then look at the following code.

You could enter this code to your theme.ini file (either both, FZL and MZL, or at least one, depending on which distance units you prefer to use).

; feet zoom levels
FZL=100 200 500 1000 2500 5280 10560 26400 52800 132000 264000

; meter zoom levels
MZL=25 50 100 300 1000 2000 5000 10000 20000 40000 80000

You may modify any of the values, but for illustration let’s just look at modifying the highest altitude zoom level. If you enter the above code to your laptop theme.ini, you should notice no change in your zoom levels because the above values represent the current default zoom levels in iGuidance 2.1.x. But if you change the number 80000 meters to 160000 meters your maximum zoom level (after restarting iGuidance) will suddenly change from 80 km to 160 km.

The same will be achieved (if you use feet instead of meters) when you replace 264000 feet with 528000 feet. The new maximum zoom level will be 100 miles (as opposed to just 50 miles).

At higher altitude zoom levels you may experience slower response from iGuidance however, so if you want to do this may just depend on your tolerance level. ;-)

Modifying zoom levels would be more practical if we could increase the NUMBER of zoom levels. Theme.ini does have code that appears to be designed for that purpose:

; active zoom level count
AZLC=11

But if I change the value 11 to 12 for example, my iGuidance will eventually crash when changing zoom. And I did try to play with it already once or twice. There may be a way to do this, but I just don’t know how at this point.

And just the obvious: if you want to see a part of route not displayd on your screen, you may always very easily just pan (move) the map by pressing down the left mouse button, and while holding the button down move the mouse in the direction where you want the map to move. On the PDA you may achieve the equivalent with your stylus.

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  17:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to successfully change the bitmaps for the arrows. I have a new question. The map zooms out only to a max scale of 50mi in my laptop and 10mi on my pda. How can I make iGuidance to show me a larger scale, for instance if I travel from Houston to Chicago, I want to see the route in one screen. Is this possible. Please let me know.Thnx
Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  17:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch Marvin. You are really helping me out to customize iN to my liking. I never thought all these things can be done. Im enjoying it.
Can the Major Highway names and major City Names still be made visible at these zoom levels? Its not really useful to just see a bunch of lines connecting unknown points.
Also, correct me if Im wrong. I think iN doesnt have an option where you can set a starting point other than the current location. Or does it?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  22:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. The above step-by-step instructions on modifying zoom levels don't seem to work well in the newest iGuidance 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 versions. It did work with older versions however, but I cannot tell exactly which version I tried it on successfully in the past. We recently moved to a new house and in the process I threw out a lot of old CD's which I though I would never need ;-) Now I'm sorry I cannot take a nice screenshot of iGuidance in an extremely high altitude zoom level ;-)

2. If you do have an older version of iGuidance and if this works for you, you likely could achieve the same on your PDA. But of course on a PDA there will be a different practical zoom level limit because of lower processing power of today’s' PDA's.

3. I'm not sure about the city names...

4. To choose a starting point (other than your GPS position) go to the menu and locate an address/POI/whatever, and then instead of selecting "Navigate" hit the "Map" button. And you are done with selecting your start point ;-) Next you will likely want to select a destination, but that you already know hjow to do. Just remember you have to select Start first and Destination second.

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  22:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks!!! Is there anyway I can get iN to say the street names like "in 500 feet turn right on Main Street" instead of "in 500 feet turn right"? and say "next" when you approach the street you need to turn on. That way I can keep my eyes on the road instead of having to try and read the street names on the pda to figure out which street it actually is.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  23:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, but I'm actually glad iGuidance keeps instruction very short. I personally would consider the reading of street names by a navigation product quite distracting. I personally don't read street names on street corners. That is sometimes quite hard to do especially if visibility is worsened by weather conditions, darkness, street name sign missing on the corner, etc.

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2005 :  06:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded the kilmist reg editor and was missing with it. I added the recalc value. Does anyone know what the other settings in the registry for iG do?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2005 :  14:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The "Recalc" registry change only helps if you have iGuidance version 2.1.1. It has no effect on other versions. It will however very likely also work in a revised edition of 2.1.2 when it is released for download at www.inavcorp.com

The other values which you see in registry are there so iGuidance remembers your preferences.

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2005 :  01:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The major highway/interstate highway numbers disappear at a zoom level higher than 10 miles. Is it possible to display the these at zoom levels 25 miles and 50 miles?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2005 :  10:55:16  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See more cities

; named place population display threshold @ zoom level
NPT=0 0 0 0 0 5000 15000 40000 75000 150000 300000

This code, when added to theme.ini, will let you control when you see names of towns (but I'm afraid there may not be an equivalent code that would let you do the same with road names).

To illustrate how this works I replaced the last number 300000 with 5000. This tells iGuidance to display at that last zoom level all towns with population above 5000 (instead of the default population of 300000 for that particular zoom level)

Before and after screenshots:

NPT=0 0 0 0 0 5000 15000 40000 75000 150000 300000

NPT=0 0 0 0 0 5000 15000 40000 75000 150000 5000

If you like that you could do the same for each zoom level. Then the code would look like this:

NPT=5000 5000 5000 5000 5000 5000 5000 5000 5000 5000 5000

Or you could go to the extreme and ask iGuidance to display all towns regardless of their population. The following code will do that:

NPT=0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

P.S. Like with any other THEME.INI change, something that works in one iGuidance version may not necessarily work in another version. Also it’s good to keep in mind that performance may suffer when some of these changes are applied, because iGuidance may now require more system resources. Something that may be nice to do on a faster PDA or laptop, may just be impractical on a slower machine.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 09 sept. 2005 23:20:55
Go to Top of Page

Rxman

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2005 :  19:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have received 2.1.2 DVD and recalc fix in registry on Pocketpc seems to work fine.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2005 :  23:27:02  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rxman. Welcome to GpsPasSion Forums and thanks for letting us know the new revision of 2.1.2 is out! The functionality has been brought back thanks to iNav Corporation requesting it from Netropa/Intellinav.

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2005 :  23:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marvin, It sure works. But something strange happened. The city names are displayed only in the bottom part of the map at the higest zoom level. The upper part of the map has no city names. I really wish there was a way to display the names of interstate #s and state highway #s along with the major cities. I am sure you will find a way out ;)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2005 :  23:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is odd. Here it works just fine, but your description of the problem reminds me of something that I experienced with iGuidance once (and only once) several months ago. I could only see street names in the lower 1/3 of my screen. Restarting iGuidance fixed that and I have never experienced ever again.

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2005 :  01:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin, I know you like your lines thinner. I want to make the Interstate highways thicker on my map. How do I do it? What are the parameters that control the thickness of various roads?
Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2005 :  03:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured out how to modify the road thickness from your other forum. The only thing that I need now is for a way to make the road names appear at higher zoom level. Banking on your brain Marvin :)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2005 :  14:29:28  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Krantzima, no, I’m afraid that may not be possible to achieve. Here I’m including a list of what we may do within theme.ini. (STW cannot do it either I think. It can only change letters from bold to thin, etc, I’m afraid).

List of theme.ini functions

The following is a list of what we can achieve with theme.ini file. Some of it is from the original theme2.ini released for the now old iGuidance 2.0 and the rest is from what I see when I open iguidance.exe in a hex editor. Some functions we do know how to use, some we don’t. Different iGuidance versions may behave differently when we modify theme.ini so it is advisable to implement just one change at one time and test iGuidance well at all zoom levels before proceeding with more additions/modifications.

MZL - meter zoom levels
FZL - feet zoom levels
NMRC - ?
DMRC - ?
NFC - feature colors- night colors
DFC - feature colors- day colors
NPT - named place population display threshold @ zoom level
STS - street name font size in points @ zoom level
NPW - ?
STW - street name font weight
MSR - map scale ratio
AZLC - active zoom level count
NGRDC - night guidance road color
DGRDC - day guidance road color
GRDPW - guidance road pen width
RTPW - route pen width @ zoom level
STC - screen titlebar color
BNCA - bkg of non-client area
SBC - SSIP button colors
RTC - route colors
NMRBPC - nite map road border pen color
DMRBPC - day map road border pen color
NMRPC - nite map road pen color
DMRPC - day map road pen color
MBC - map background color (day nite)
GRPW - guidance screen route pen width
MDFC - max funclass to draw @ zoom level
RPW - road pen width

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2005 :  21:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Krantzima if the problem of displaying city names only in a portion of the screen hasn't been solved yet you could try to play with the numbers a little. Instead of forcing iGuidance to display too many town names at once, why not limit it a bit. Instead of changing everything to # 0 try the following:

NPT=0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5000 5000 15000 15000

(Each of the above numbers represents different zoom level)

The symptom you have described may be an indication of this "tweak" to be a bit hard on computer resources. (If that's the case then likely all will appear to be just fine if you decrease the window size of iGuidance.)

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  00:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Works like a charm. Thanks Marvin!!!
Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  00:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing add about my map display is that in the Atlantic ocean, it shows the land color partially. I dont know how to attach an image or a screenshot on this forum. Instead of being blue, there are large blocks of land color in the ocean. I dont know what is causing it. Let me know if you experienced this. For instance, if you pull up the map of Houston and zoom out, you will be able to see what I am talking about.It really does not cause any interference with directions and navigation, but iGuidance is also about aesthetics and all that.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  01:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Follow this link to post pictures in the forum:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12223

Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  01:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the screenshot
Go to Top of Page

krantzima

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  02:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oopsie,,, didn't think abt that... anyway, that is what the problem is.. see the yellow where the ocean is... thx
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  03:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Krantzima that is "normal" and I'm afraid there isn't much we can do about it. It just shows you the end of the map area. But yes I can see how unsightly it can look. I'm not affected by it because I very seldom find myself driving close to map borders ;-) But for the sake of users who do I wish the blue area was extended much much further so that no matter how much you zoom out you don't see it.

Go to Top of Page

schneid

202 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  15:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure it isn't new beach deposited by Katrina?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  15:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One possible solution would be to "hide" ocean completely by changing its blue color to the color of your background. This is actually something I did on my work computer. I am on the road 12 hours a day sometimes, and it is really distracting to me to see parks, cemeteries, rivers, etc. When you drive for work all you want to see is just roads. When you drive for pleasure that is different. That is why I didn't do the same modification on my PDA phone which is used for navigation outside my work hours.

To hide some or all geographical features go to page # 2 of this thread and look up Hide cemeteries, airports, lakes, parks, etc

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 11 sept. 2005 15:24:14
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 19 sept. 2005 :  12:40:32  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just added links to the index on page 1 to make locating relevant posts easier.

Go to Top of Page

jeepjep

51 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2005 :  15:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I saw within this post how to change what POI's are displayed at certain zoom levels? Currently, for example, Restaurants show up at 1000 feet. Does anyone know how to display Restaurants/All POI's at say 2500 feet or 1 mile?

I feel that this may have already been mentioned, but I could not locate it. If it has been discussed - sorry :)

John

Edited by - jeepjep on 22 sept. 2005 15:50:16
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2005 :  16:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, no, it hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm not sure if it is achievable.

Go to Top of Page

Rxman

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  18:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to have the town name shown all the time at say 200 to 1000 feet.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  18:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, you will only see it when the centre of the city is within the map area currently displayed on your screen. Names of towns do not "move" like street names. But feel free to e-mail iGuidance if you think you would like this changed. (I personally don't have an opinion one way or another.)

Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  01:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying without sucess to change the icons in iGuidance as mentioned above. I am computer savy, and the procedure was painless. However, when I load iGuidance after making the resource image changes, it crashed upon loading.

Is there some other trick that I am missing? I created a set of small icons, of my actual car as viewed from above (Red, Mitsubishi Eclipse). I followed the icon size and saved the files as bitmaps. I then tried reducing the colors to 9 colors, as in the original bitmaps, and still no luck.

Here is a copy of the icon I am trying to get to work. Once I can get it to work, I will change the roof color to match the status of the GPS signal.

Other times when I save the altered iGuidance.exe back, it will still show the original bitmaps. I am quite certain I am saving the altered version, and then loading that altered one to test it. Is there some sort of "cache" or something that iGuidance uses? It has be puzzled for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  00:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It's a very nice car icon. I'm still playing with it but so far so good.

Go to Top of Page

Lenny

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  23:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

No, you will only see it when the centre of the city is within the map area currently displayed on your screen. Names of towns do not "move" like street names. But feel free to e-mail iGuidance if you think you would like this changed. (I personally don't have an opinion one way or another.)

Go to Top of Page

Lenny

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  23:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can i change FONT not the size
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  01:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting idea. I haven't heard of anyone trying it, yet. I'll look into it, but likely I will not know how to do it.

Go to Top of Page

chuckydo

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  21:49:08  Show Profile  Visit chuckydo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had any luck with road boarders?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  22:02:04  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, no one, as far as I know. I experimented with borders back when 2.0 was first released, but I was unsuccessful. But now, even if it worked, I think I would still want to keep it simple, with no borders. But of course different users have different preferences ;-)

Go to Top of Page

justintime

34 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  01:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Increase size of menu buttons, make iGuidance touch screen friendly

I wanted to bring the following thread to your attention!
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61226&

Justintime, I hope you don't mind I edited your posting by adding your three picture here. I just linked it from the first page index, too :)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 14 oct. 2005 22:30:21
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  18:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Justintime, that is excellent! I've never tried to enlarge the buttons since I don't use a touch screen. But a lot of people who do use touch screens would find this modification useful.

When you increased the size of the buttons with ResHacker did you have to do anything special to also increase the size of clickable area?

Go to Top of Page

justintime

34 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2005 :  17:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marvin.

To answer your question, it really depends. Most 'clickable areas' are directly tied to the size of the image, so if you increase the image size, the clickable area behind it will increase accordingly.

There are a few exceptions, notably the main screen. The MENU button and the MUTE button have a fixed clichkable area region. Also, the OSK (on screen keyboards) have fixed regions for all the buttons/keys, which is very disappointing. I cannot do anything about the OSK.

This has made iG much more usable for me now though!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2005 :  19:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Justintime that's very nicely done indeed! And I see you are still fine tuning the graphics. Today's version looks prettier than yesterday's version. I like the "Close" button on picture #1, and likely you are going to eventually use the same grafics for the "Close" buttons in all the other menu windows.

Go to Top of Page

justintime

34 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  06:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin:

Can't do anything about the other "close" buttons. You see, iG uses the red button, and overlays a text (usually an "X") on top of it. In some screens it uses the same red button, but overlays something else on it. For this reason, the red button must remain 'plain'.
Go to Top of Page

justintime

34 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  06:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnwpb

I have been trying without sucess to change the icons in iGuidance as mentioned above. I am computer savy, and the procedure was painless. However, when I load iGuidance after making the resource image changes, it crashed upon loading.

This is most likely because you are opening the .exe file *and* Reschacker at the same time. You can usually get away with it, but I found that about 20% of the time, if I opened the .exe file with ResHacker and modified it while the app was open (in the background) it would crash the next time I closed/relaunched the exe to see the changes.

Bottom line, always close the exe before opening it with reshacker. And always close ResHacker before opening the exe!
Go to Top of Page

justintime

34 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  21:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone (Marvin?) know how to make the POI font size smaller than the font of the streets? When I zoom all the way in, the street names and the POI names (for example, the name of a gas station, in blue) are the same size, and I would rather have a much smaller font size for the POIs...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05