Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2172

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 Beta Testing
 4.6 Pre6 - 2 September 2005
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 41

lvgdgts

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2005 :  15:58:15  Show Profile
One item I have noted with several of the recent betas (since at least 4.51) is that if I check "Activate GPS at Program Start" my PDA freezes up. When I start Mapopolis, I am taken to my Bluetooth Manager. Then I tap on the GPS unit and everything freezes. I have to soft reset. If I leave that box unchecked and connect the devices manually before starting Mapopolis, all works great. I am just concerned that this may be a negative for people who are trying to keep their GPS experience as simple as possible. I know I haven't posted much here, mostly out of deference to the power users who are outstanding testers and committed to this great product.

Axim x50v, Holux GR-231
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2005 :  19:28:34  Show Profile
Also, prior to the release, I think we should address the font size in the scale bar.
Go to Top of Page

rkirkley

3 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2005 :  22:24:58  Show Profile
Hello,

I just got the Mapopolis Beta 4.56 a couple of days ago and have been learning about its operation by use and by 4.50 documentation. The documentation suggests routing by loading local maps for start, finish and main roads, then adding local maps along the route. It then suggests resaving the route after adding the local maps so they will be reloaded anytime the file is recalled. I've found that, if local maps are deselected, then later the route reloaded, only the beginning and ending local maps get selected unless there is a route step associated with that location. Other maps along the way that were selected were not loaded.

-rkirkley

Edited by - rkirkley on 08 juil. 2005 22:27:43
Go to Top of Page

RonW

70 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2005 :  01:29:06  Show Profile
Active Route Guidence stays grayed out after creating a route first then starting GPS, this never happened is past versions.

Now Active Route Guidence will only activate if you start GPS first then create route or create route starting from GPS position.

I can recreate this every time.

There is a problem with active route guidence activation, please check it out.

HP rx3115

I have always set route first and then start gps afterwards, active guidence does not start if you create route 1st before starting GPS, it has started in the last versions, this is a bug.

Active Guidence should not gray out at all no matter what sequence you create a route in.

Who else has this problem?

Edited by - RonW on 11 juil. 2005 05:47:14
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2005 :  08:48:40  Show Profile
Hi Lamar, I experienced something completely different last night.

A friend of mine asked me to cover his shift at a local fast food delivery shop so I thought lets give it a shot and put Mapopolis through its paces.

As I would be in and out of the shop and switching the gps on and off during the night and to make my searches quicker I took my 1Gb card out and used an old 256Mb card with .56 installed fresh and just the West Midlands map, also as I would be going in and out of Mapopolis quite a few times the auto-start and reconnect options where switched off (so I can load addressee's while in the shop then navigate outside)

What happened was I would get in the car, switch the gps on then start the gps in Mapopolis and then route to favourite. Now I have to say I have never seen this behaviour before and I am going to try on my normal setup today.

After I start driving it announces the first turn but then it zoomed onto the turn/intersection etc and said "Step 1, turn left" then it would say "in approx 200 feet turn left" and go back to 'normal' navigation screen.

Then when the next turn approached it said "Step 2, at the roundabout..." then the map zoomed in on the roundabout then a few seconds later it said "in about 300 feet take first exit..." and so on and so on.

Also when the screen zooms the map freezes (north up) and the blue gps 'teardrop' would move towards the turn/roundabout and depending on which way the map was the teardrop would either be moving up, down etc towards the centre of the screen (similar to when the proximity alerts go off)

I turned my phone and gps on and off quite a few times last night but it kept on repeating this behaviour.

Not exactly a bug but very undesirable, I will let you know how my testing goes today with my normal card.

Orange E200, TomTom BT GPS
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2005 :  08:13:42  Show Profile
Hi all, I think we can ignore my last post.

Intrigued by what happened I offered to cover my friends shift last night and once again Mapopolis was acting in the strange manner described.

Not being in my car I have my phone wedged in between the gearbox surround and the bottom on the centre console (quite a tight fit) anyway at approximately I took a corner a little bit too fast and my phone flew out its temporary stand and fell to the floor of the car.

I picked it up and Mapopolis was still running and everything seemed fine so I wedged it back in and carried on driving. But to my surprise the odd behaviour described stooped. I assume that when mt phone hit the floor it must have pressed something which turned off this odd program mode and for the rest of the night Mapopolis performed beautifully.

So no real problems here, just user error

Go to Top of Page

dcrochet

USA
1044 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2005 :  05:49:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rkirkley

...It then suggests resaving the route after adding the local maps so they will be reloaded anytime the file is recalled. I've found that, if local maps are deselected, then later the route reloaded, only the beginning and ending local maps get selected unless there is a route step associated with that location. Other maps along the way that were selected were not loaded.

You're exactly right. Mapopolis does not recall all intermediate maps with a saved route unless a 'Route Through' customization point requires an intermediate map.

The workaround on the PPC is to open your maps as desired and then save the Mapopolis setup file: mapopost.bin to a separate folder (say: "My SFO to LAX"), and later overwrite the existing version in the Mapopolis program folder when you want that map set open again. Not a great workaround, but it may save you some time on occassionally. Keep in mind that all user setup options are saved in this file so be careful overwriting it with dated versions if you tweak your options regularly.

Dell Axim X5 400MHz A04, PPC2002 OS, Mapopolis 4.xx (ND) routing technique, Fortuna PocketXTrack CF GPS
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2005 :  00:06:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Ris, I agree with AllanHvass it does not matter what settings you choose the alert message still comes up when you start Mapopolis

To be honest we all understand what you are saying about choice the options generating the message but is there a real need for the message some form of indicator or maybe a 'floating' box over the map saying "No GPS" is all that is needed.

Going back to TomTom if you start TT without the GPS running it says "GPS signal was lost XX seconds ago" on the top line of the status bar and it flashes a GPS icon in the icon area and TT connects, disconnects and re-connects without any form of alert boxes.

Now we are not being picky but we are trying to view the product from a new users eyes and when this baby gets released it is going to hit various magazines/websites for review. Now as this is a 'consumer' product more than likely they will pick something like a non technical person like a housewife with kids (no disrespect to any housewives reading this) or its going to be passed to the in house Sat Nav expert for them to pass their opinions.

Trying to put myself into the place of a housewife and first loading the product and setting the GPS options etc the next time I go to use it I will go straight to find and half way through this the alert message will pop up and as a housewife I would find this very annoying and thus would be reported in the review.

Trying to put myself into the place of a Sat Nav expert then he will more than likely have a few other packages to compare to and he will almost certainly have his own particular favourite package so he will be comparing Mapopolis to what he considers to be the best Sat Nav system around and shortly after configuring the options he will get the alert message and as already mentioned TT does not do anything like this I am certain that the other products are similar then he will also note this as an annoying feature.

You have all done a fantastic job and the product is nothing like the first beta released but its the fiddly little points (which most of us ignore) that will cause Mapopolis to fall flat on its face when it has to stand up to TomTom, Co-Pilot and Destinator.

I understand you want to get this released but while these are not real show stoppers when a new user reviews the product or tells his mates how it looks, all the good features will be forgotten and they will only remember the bad ones

Yes, I can completely understand what you're saying. The error starting GPS is also related to the nature of the port that you're using. CF and cable-connected GPS receivers will fail to open the port immediatelly and there will never been any continuous waiting. That is to say, the operating system function that opens the port FAILS, and we respond by issuing an error message. Wireless bluetooth ports open successfully but transmit no data while the bluetooth manager tries to establish a connection. If bluetooth GPS receivers are still erroring-out after 30 seconds with Keep Connection Alive enabled, which is the default, then there must be a bug in the new logic that is supposed to be ignoring the timeout if Keep Connection Alive is on. Also, perhaps this bug only exists on the phone. I will make a point to give it some strenuous testing on my phone regarding this behavior.

The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2005 :  00:08:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AllanHvass

I'm really sorry, but I think I've identified another release stopping bug

I've seen this many times before in the various betas, especially the last 5 or so, but never been able to make a consistent repro. But now I got it.

Here's the simple steps:
  • Start Mapopolis with GPS connected.
  • Once Mapopolis got a connection with the GPS (doesn't have to have a fix), pull the power on the GPS
  • Now go to e.g. the GPS screeen
  • Then insert power to the GPS again, and wait until Mapopolis establishes connection with the GPS again (a Boink, if you have that sound configure)
  • Now, your GPS screen will be impossible to exit, no menus or keypresses work. Only option is to turn off phone or kill Mapopolis using a task manager

The above works with any screen other than the main screen, that you showing, if the GPS connection state changes from not connected to connected, e.g. the Find Address screen or the Route to Favorite screen. It seems to be any scenario, where Mapopolis spawns off a separate thread, which can be verified with a task manager. Actually, it's enough the kill the separate thread, e.g. the GPS Screen, using the task manager to get back to an operating Mapopolis. So most likely, it's something with Mapopolis shifting focus back to the main window, when GPS connection status changes.

The other places I've seen this had long made be believe it was a timing / stability issue, because it often happens when you jump into your car, and start planning a route as soon as you have Mapopolis started, and then during that process gets a "lockup" suddenly, when Mapopolis finds and connects to the GPS.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit

This is one of the clearest, most well-described, best bug reports I have ever read! We'll get on it right away.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2005 :  00:18:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Lamar, I experienced something completely different last night.

A friend of mine asked me to cover his shift at a local fast food delivery shop so I thought lets give it a shot and put Mapopolis through its paces.

As I would be in and out of the shop and switching the gps on and off during the night and to make my searches quicker I took my 1Gb card out and used an old 256Mb card with .56 installed fresh and just the West Midlands map, also as I would be going in and out of Mapopolis quite a few times the auto-start and reconnect options where switched off (so I can load addressee's while in the shop then navigate outside)

What happened was I would get in the car, switch the gps on then start the gps in Mapopolis and then route to favourite. Now I have to say I have never seen this behaviour before and I am going to try on my normal setup today.

After I start driving it announces the first turn but then it zoomed onto the turn/intersection etc and said "Step 1, turn left" then it would say "in approx 200 feet turn left" and go back to 'normal' navigation screen.

Then when the next turn approached it said "Step 2, at the roundabout..." then the map zoomed in on the roundabout then a few seconds later it said "in about 300 feet take first exit..." and so on and so on.

Also when the screen zooms the map freezes (north up) and the blue gps 'teardrop' would move towards the turn/roundabout and depending on which way the map was the teardrop would either be moving up, down etc towards the centre of the screen (similar to when the proximity alerts go off)

I turned my phone and gps on and off quite a few times last night but it kept on repeating this behaviour.

Not exactly a bug but very undesirable, I will let you know how my testing goes today with my normal card.

It sounds like you may have had it showing the Route Step Pane with Recite Route Step enabled. As you turn a corner, it shows the next route step, centers on that step north-up, and recites a description of that step. Since you said "Step 2, enter roundabout and..." this suggests the Route Step Pane, because only that pane would say the step number "Step 2" and other navigation guidance messages would omit it and just say "about 300 feet ahead enter roundabout and..." Also, your follow-up about the phone being jossled suggests that a directional key was pressed, changing it to Pilot Pane or Navigation Pane mode, which would change the behavior again. You probably had bumped it into Route Step Pane by accident and didn't notice. It looks similar to the Navigation Pane at a glance. It's sort of a primitive, but not highly recommended, feature to use it with the route step panel the way you did on your food delivery run. Thanks for trying that out for us

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2005 :  00:21:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RonW

Active Route Guidence stays grayed out after creating a route first then starting GPS, this never happened is past versions.

Now Active Route Guidence will only activate if you start GPS first then create route or create route starting from GPS position.

I can recreate this every time.

There is a problem with active route guidence activation, please check it out.

HP rx3115

I have always set route first and then start gps afterwards, active guidence does not start if you create route 1st before starting GPS, it has started in the last versions, this is a bug.

Active Guidence should not gray out at all no matter what sequence you create a route in.

Who else has this problem?

Looks like a general problem that everyone is having. Thanks go out to RonW and everyone else who pointed this out. We will fix it before the release.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2005 :  00:30:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dcrochet

quote:
Originally posted by rkirkley

...It then suggests resaving the route after adding the local maps so they will be reloaded anytime the file is recalled. I've found that, if local maps are deselected, then later the route reloaded, only the beginning and ending local maps get selected unless there is a route step associated with that location. Other maps along the way that were selected were not loaded.

You're exactly right. Mapopolis does not recall all intermediate maps with a saved route unless a 'Route Through' customization point requires an intermediate map.

The workaround on the PPC is to open your maps as desired and then save the Mapopolis setup file: mapopost.bin to a separate folder (say: "My SFO to LAX"), and later overwrite the existing version in the Mapopolis program folder when you want that map set open again. Not a great workaround, but it may save you some time on occassionally. Keep in mind that all user setup options are saved in this file so be careful overwriting it with dated versions if you tweak your options regularly.

Dell Axim X5 400MHz A04, PPC2002 OS, Mapopolis 4.xx (ND) routing technique, Fortuna PocketXTrack CF GPS

Yes, sorry about this limitation. We don't plan to address it for the current release, but we do expect to add and enhance map management features in future versions to overcome this limitation as well as several others.

Edited by - Ris on 12 juil. 2005 00:31:41
Go to Top of Page

dcrochet

USA
1044 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2005 :  06:24:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ris

...we do expect to add and enhance map management features in future versions...

Are those party horns I hear throughout the forum???

Go to Top of Page

afeudale

43 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2005 :  14:51:03  Show Profile
Not sure if this is a bug:

If I start Mapopolis (C500) and try to enter a menu (say, route to destination) before the GPS and program begin communicating, then Mapopolis will freeze and will need to be reset or killed.
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2005 :  18:48:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by afeudale

Not sure if this is a bug:

If I start Mapopolis (C500) and try to enter a menu (say, route to destination) before the GPS and program begin communicating, then Mapopolis will freeze and will need to be reset or killed.

This is exactly the bug I reported on page 23. Thanks for confirming it

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 41 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3,64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05