Hi I have been working on this issue on and off for a while now and I want to see if you guys have any experience with this issue.
This is the problem. I have both the Garmin Colorado 300 and Oregon 550. They behave the same way.
The problem, I use City Navigator NA for in city navigation and when I'm driving all the street names (major highway or local streets) are not being displayed. I have tried various zoom levels but it does not matter. The only way I can get the street names to display is to pan the map and then the names will start to pop up but just as soon as the map is back into the normal map view and start driving the street name will not be displaying again.
I have the whole North America in one img file on my SD card. I have also tried various version of the img file and still the same problem.
I called Garmin and they had no idea what is causing it and the tech said that he had never had anyone called with this problem. They swapped out the unit and same thing.
Both units are on the latest firmware.
Has anyone here experience this problem? I hope it's something that I am doing wrong which mean there's a solution :)
"It is what it is". Seems that newer versions of City Navigator just behave like this. It's especially bad on some of the Nuvi series where you can get a bunch of lines on the screen with no labels. I also use City Navigator on my Montana 600 and see the same issue, but not quite as bad.
Of course, there is the advanced map setup menu that allows you to set the zoom levels you desire for street labels. As far as I can tell, this has no effect with the City Navigator maps. It may be a combination of the new maps and new firmware on the units, but I don't think you can do anything about it.
I also see that that faster you drive, the less street names are displayed. Evidently this is a way to achieve faster screen updates while moving at high speeds. Bottom line is that I think you just need to get used to it.
That's what I'm afraid of. I am really getting cold feet about getting a Montana now that you told me your unit behaves the same way and also reading about the touch screens on the Montana's fail after 20 days (Garmin confirmed that it is a common problem).
I am really getting tired of being an unpaid beta tester for garmin over the years.