Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 3490LMT - User Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  06:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opinions based on actual side-by-side comparisons are very useful indeed, but one must consider that any opinion formed with only ONE unit in hand, is not totally unbiased, or factual for that matter.

I have both units in hand running side-by-side. There are notable differences between the two, many in fact. GPS is better on the 3490, being much faster with virtually instant acquisition times, when plugged in to the traffic receiver and when traffic signal is present. My 1st time satellite acquisition was instant - right after I accepted the nag screens. My BlackBerry Bold 9900 takes under 10 seconds from turning on the GPS to full sats, but this was even faster.

3490 - POI lookup's are exponentially faster, as the processor IS more powerful. Address lookup's are faster as well, and are far more broad when using the universal search. For example - my home address on the 3490 pops up in shorter time and is found in several nearby US states (universal search) - in less time than just the one in my province (Quebec, Canada) on the 3790. Routing is notably quicker as well in side by side testing. Ergonomics are identical, but touchscreen response isn't as good on the 3490, yet, however, that's just firmware and an easy fix.

The user UI on the 3490 is more enhanced and offers more customization over the 3790; a nice feature, but not a deal breaker in any case. The Traffic UI is vastly improved over the 3790 - offering more (as well as more useful) information right on the map screen on the 3490. It also requires fewer clicks to get that detail, again, a very nice enhancement and a deal breaker for me. The older traffic UI means drilling down a few screens to get the information you need - nowhere near as intuitive or easy to access as the 3490 - and I want to spend as little time being distracted as I can. The less distraction from driving the better - and safer! I just wish they'd display the delay in minutes right on the map screen traffic icon - same as they used to do on older units. I can't understand why they even removed this feature in the 1st place.

I need more seat time with the 3490 before I can offer more information - soon to come.

Edited by - ZX14NINJA on 14 oct. 2011 06:54:23
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  11:29:15  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No delay time at traffic icon, because Garmin wants you to look at ads.

Have you ever tried multiple points routing? All good look of 34xx doesn't compensate for missing VIA. Trips are useless and there is nothing else to use, if you want to correct a route created automatically by nuvi.

Well, maybe you can use avoidances? Is this function ergonomic enough to use instead of VIA?

popej

Edited by - popej on 13 oct. 2011 11:30:12
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  12:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traffic on the GTM60 is ad-free, but even with the GTM35 - I haven't seen an add in months. Have not yet tried multi-point routing but will in the next few days. I had setup a route using MPR and it was seamless, but I had never executed the actual route.

Not sure what you refer to regarding "missing VIA"...do you mean Via point?

Edited by - ZX14NINJA on 13 oct. 2011 12:57:24
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  13:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The info on being faster,etc. from ZX is cool. I hope alot of this runs down to the 2595 line or at least makes it better then the 1490T. I don't like the discussions here on not having routes any more or problems with them in these units. This goes for the 37** series. I bought a 2595 and it should be here tomorrow. It doesn't seem clear to me what the difference is yet between "Trips" and "Routes" and if we can make a route the way we'd like in MS then send it to these and have it route me. My 1490T still calls them routes and can do that for me. If not I might return the 2595. I don't like the way Garmin routes me often. I'm anxiously waiting and will have 15 days to get a full refund from WalMart.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Previous owned Garmin 48,76cs,210. Nuvi 880,1490T.
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
880 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  15:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck! I'm hanging on to my 1490 simply due to the way routing works and how it interacts with mapsource/basecamp. Until Garmin improve this on the current models my 'old' 1490 will stay in service.
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  16:04:43  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZX14NINJA

Not sure what you refer to regarding "missing VIA"...do you mean Via point?
Drive your trip and you will know. Trips look good when you look at them at your desk, but not at all when in a car.
Hint: all points in a trip are "destinations" not VIAs.

quote:
Originally posted by Captcaper

It doesn't seem clear to me what the difference is yet between "Trips" and "Routes"
I have posted a thread about 37xx: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=139283
34xx can have some improvements, like for example arrival time.

quote:
Originally posted by Captcaper

if we can make a route the way we'd like in MS then send it to these and have it route me.
You can send route from Mapsource, but you will get a trip on a nuvi. No more routes.

popej
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  16:35:05  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Garmin's world, a route is two waypoints connected by one or more vias. When pre-planned on a computer and transferred to a GPS which supports same, it allows very fine-grained control over where you go.

A trip is more like something Timothy Leary would recognize [g]. It consists of a series of "destinations," as popej says and allows a degree of navigation control ranging (in my experience with a 1495 loaner) from a little to none.

As popej notes, you can send a pre-planned route to a device which uses trips, but it will arrive as a bunch of Favorites (waypoints/destinations) and the GPS will pick its own routes between them, or as with the 1495 I tried, sometimes crash or stop routing altogether. Deal killer for anyone who does advance route planning.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  16:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still confused after reading the thread in the link. Nothing like getting hands on expierence. I'll be getting the 2595 by tommrrow but I have to ask while I'm waiting. If I make a route in MS then send it into the 2595 it shows as a trip I get that. But will it take me the way I made the route in MS and not from "beginning to end" as if I created a route in MS with just two waypoints.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  17:34:21  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In theory trip should lead you the same way as route but practice is different.

First you will be asked to which point of the trip you'd like to go. It's up to you to know which point would be the best, no help from your nuvi. Not always easy if you are in the middle of the road.

When using route nuvi always leads you to the first point of the route but as soon as you reach any part of the route, it starts to lead you along it. Not the case with trips. Nuvi leads you to the point you have selected (ignoring any point that is placed on the list before it), even if this leads you back.

Next problem is that trip is not processed as a whole object but nuvi treats each leg as a simple separate route. You can't see trip on screen past next destination. Only when you reach this destination (quasi-VIA), nuvi will draw next route on the map. You won't be warned about road conditions on next leg, TMC is limited to current leg only (at least that was behavior of 37xx, maybe this is one of reasons, that we can't see time of delay?). Probably detour and search near route will be limited to current leg too. This is not a problem, if you cover one leg at a day, but is very annoying, if you created complicated route, that you want to cover in a single pass.

Next problem is that trip processing is buggy. Nuvi expect you to go to an intermediate point and stay there for a while (i think 34xx will help you to find a parking place :) ). But if you want only to pass a point and go further, than quite often this action doesn't work. Sometimes navigation simply stops. No message, no more directions, just like you have never started a trip. On others occasions, nuvi doesn't acknowledge the point and wants you to go back. You can even not notice a problem and run circles. In both situations you have to restart your trip and than you will find a question, to which point would you like to go? Better to know where you are, when using GPS ;)

There is no possibility to skip a point on a trip. If you find a shortcut, novi will lead you back. When using route nuvi will silently switch to shortest route, dropping bypassed VIA.

There is a problem with arrival time when using trips. On 37xx there is no display of arrival time at all (unbelievable if you think about it, was it a top device in nuvi series?). On newer nuvi this time is displayed, but I doubt if it is correct. I think, nuvi rounds times for legs to 5 minutes, so if you have multiple short legs, the arrival time could be wrong.

popej
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  18:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't sounding so good. I may just end up returning this unit and buying 2 more 1490Ts to make sure I'm good for a while.
I made a route for my 1490T out to Yellowstone this past Sept. from NH (about 2600 miles) and had all poi's within 6 miles of the route (thanks to Turbocc) that I would or might need on a file in "Extras" which was cool. It made driving out very easy and I could focus on the road and not the GPS or maps. I couldn't give up this ability. I do lot's of these routes and have some saved from other places I've been like NH to Fla via inland routes to stay away from the coast and it's traffic.
I'll wait until if and when Garmin makes this happen again.

Go to Top of Page

Jim9999

52 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  20:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any idea why they removed routes? If the trips on the 34xx are like popej describes, this is a giant step backwards.

popej, do you have a 34xx or just a 37xx?

ZX14NINJA, your comparision on this page was helpful. FYI, when you said "The Traffic UI is vastly improved on the 3790" I think you meant to say "over" the 3790?

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2011 :  21:54:50  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My experiences come from nuvi 3760. I already had a glimpse at 34xx and will test it soon.

popej

Edited by - popej on 13 oct. 2011 21:55:16
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2011 :  01:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it could do what I can do now after some learning curve or a 3rd party software I could live with it. But according to these guys It can't be done really.

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2011 :  02:22:02  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just the info: firmware for 34xx can be flashed on 37xx hardware. Not directly and procedure is a bit risky.

popej
Go to Top of Page

turboccc

Canada
783 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2011 :  02:52:22  Show Profile  Visit turboccc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coool! That is an interesting information. Maybe I'll try it.

Edited by - turboccc on 14 oct. 2011 02:53:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05