Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 3490LMT - User Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

bobaber

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2011 :  16:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick
I hope you give the side by side reports on your Arizona trip as you have in the past. They are very interesting to follow.
bobaber
Go to Top of Page

Puffins Nest

33 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2011 :  18:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ZX14NIJA question regarding the 3490LMT. Can you plan a route (trip) using Basecamp & upload to the device or does all the planning have to be done on the device itself. Thanks Steve.
Go to Top of Page

Jim9999

52 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2011 :  19:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZX14NINJA
I ONLY see that 1st leg on the map screen. Good so far! No need to see more, really,

This is the part that I think most will disagree with you about. And there's really no good reason to not show the rest. They could make the rest of the route a different color to avoid confusion. And not showing traffic on the next route is even worse. "OK driver, here's the next route, and by the way, traffic is stopped for the next 10 miles starting right here.". :)

Edited by - Jim9999 on 20 oct. 2011 19:13:13
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2011 :  19:29:28  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can transfer route from Mapsource to 34xx and get it directly as a trip in trip planner, no additional actions needed. I assume that the same will work with BaseCamp, but I haven't tested.

popej
Go to Top of Page

Gr3gJ

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2011 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else getting an error that the traffic receiver is disconnected? I was able to receive traffic information off and on the first few days I had the 3490LMT, but I don't get any traffic now... I get the error in the photo below saying the traffic receiver is disconnected. Tech support had me reset the unit and verify the cable was plugged in securely, but nothing worked. They are having me send back the GTM 60 so they can take a look at it.

On a side note, other than this problem, I love the 3490LMT so far. I had the 3790LMT for a couple of weeks and returned it when they announced the 3490. The voice search is MUCH improved as are all the menus in my opinion. Its a very nice unit if I can get past this traffic issue. Of course, traffic is the primary reason I bought the unit...

Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2011 :  20:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZX I still don't know..I'm with the others who aren't comfortable with it. It still isn't routing right. I think these engineers trying to come up with something special actually screwed up a given. I'm with Turbo on this one.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Previous owned Garmin 48,76cs,210. Nuvi 880,1490T.
Go to Top of Page

Puffins Nest

33 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2011 :  20:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ popej Thanks for the information. Just for kicks I will include a note from Garmin

Quote "Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help you with this.

At this time the 3490LMT does not support routes that are created and transferred from MapSource or BaseCamp" Unquote.

Maybe I didn't phrase my question to Garmin correctly, although I did also mention trip planner.
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2011 :  20:52:40  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lol, but I would agree with support. You can send routes to nuvi but you receive trips.

popej
Go to Top of Page

robyt

7 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2011 :  03:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen,

Since the forum has above a topic about reliability of this unit I want to inquire if anyone experienced hardware problems with this particular model.

Yesterday, myDashbord announced, in the well known enigmatic way that there is an update available for 3490. Since no other info was offered, I switched to the WebUpdater, which listed something like a "34xx help ..." update. I closed the WebUpdater and with myDashboard performed the update. At the end the software asked to disconnect the GPS from the PC, and to restart it, to install the update. This is the point where my Nuvi 3490LMT became a brick, or for a better term a piece of tile. Completely dead, with no possibility of resuscitation!!! Now is transported by the USPS to the point of sale.

Did anybody have a similar, or any hardware problem? I enjoyed the unit for less than 2 weeks. Since I have/had the option of a refund, I do not know if my choice of an exchange it is the right one

Like most users, I own several Garmin models. Due to advancements in technology, the units which got upgraded, moved into storage. But all of them are in working condition and show signs of light on the screen when are turned on. This Nuvi 3490 is the first GPS to die within 2 weeks.

I am curious if any of the members of this forum experienced reliability problems.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2011 :  04:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gkassian

quote:
Originally posted by ZX14NINJA

ZX14NiNJA, you mentioned that you had "unable to calculate route" problem. Is it still present? I have this one too and plan to give Garmin a call about it. Wanted to check if there is any update on the issue. Thnx.

Yes, still have it on one particular route - happens in the exact same spot, every single time when I'm on a route and I choose another path. That would be a BIG BUG! LOL

@popej - that was indeed funny - true, but funny! :)
@Robyt - we could have resurrected your bricked 3490..easy fix, just hold down the power button for 60 seconds and release. It would normally come back to life after that. 3790's had the same issues with the same fix!
@gkassian - I don't know why yours doesn't show you the whole route. Mine does every time using the green bar to preview it. It does NOT show the entire route on the map. It only shows one leg at a time. Using the Trip Planner solves that issue though, if it's an issue to begin with.

I did a 300 mile run today and put in a pile of stops when I started the route. I moved them around to really confuse the unit and still, it showed me the entire route (green bar) and ran through 5-6 legs perfectly. I was able to see each leg by pressing the green bar to preview it. I wonder if there's something I do differently than others when creating the destinations? I don't have it in my hands right now, as I left it in the truck, but I have a few 3490's and they all do the same things. They all have the exact same bugs and they all drop the same route in the same place when I deviate from the route.

BTW, the Trip Planner is a bit different from what you see when you simply add more destinations to an endpoint destination using the "Where to" function. They do appear to be the same, but you don't have any real edit functions while adding destinations and you can't access that screen unless you add more destinations, as there's no way to get to that screen without adding them.

But when you start off with, (or edit using) the Trip Planner, you have full edit/delete/add /optimize functionality.

You can at any time on an active "Where to" created route, go to the trip planner and modify/ save it right there for future use.

Edited by - ZX14NINJA on 21 oct. 2011 05:25:13
Go to Top of Page

robyt

7 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2011 :  19:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,

One of the 'medical' procedures was to hold the power button. I think I had to use it once on 3790, but 3790 seemed to revive faster than 60 seconds. If I will get the same GPS unit back, and the power button trick would work, it will be the embarrasement of my life. I will keep you posted.

Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2011 :  19:46:43  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can find your answer on page 3 of users manual ;)
"You can reset your device if it stops functioning. Hold the Power key for 10 seconds."

popej
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2011 :  21:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen units that don't wake up in 10 seconds...which is why I suggested 60 seconds. I have had some that only wake up in 2 minutes and a tired sore finger. LOL
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2011 :  22:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Steve, the 2 times my 3790 appeared dead it took at least a minute of holding before it came back to life.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2011 :  23:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gr3gJ

Is anyone else getting an error that the traffic receiver is disconnected? I was able to receive traffic information off and on the first few days I had the 3490LMT, but I don't get any traffic now... I get the error in the photo below saying the traffic receiver is disconnected. Tech support had me reset the unit and verify the cable was plugged in securely, but nothing worked. They are having me send back the GTM 60 so they can take a look at it.

Not sure what's going with the traffic but it seemed to work the first few times I used the 3490 around my area. It would take several minutes to get a signal (which says on the screen it can take that long). I live just outside the Twin Cities area so we have very good HD radio service but today the whole way to and from work about 35 minutes each way it would not get a signal. It just keep saying "signal to low for so many minutes". Not sure if it's the GTM 60 cord or could there be something inside the Unit that isn't working right?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05