Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1952

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 TomTom AIO Forums - www.GOTomTom.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom GPS GO 2435, 2535 - MyTomTom
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

caryrae

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2011 :  01:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just saw these on the U.S. tomtom site

# GO 2535•TM WTE
# GO 2535•M LIVE
# GO 2535 Series
# GO 2435 Series

Looks like the live model includes 1 year of service instead of 3 months. In case you don't know WTE means World Traveler's Edition.

Not sure what's different between the two 2x35 and 2x05 models.

[ed - original title : New tomtom's coming, the 2x35's]

Edited by - caryrae on 18 févr. 2011 02:52:59

Ads

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2011 :  02:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One year of Live Services seems like a good idea to me (depending on price), and the powered windshield mount seems like a good idea for frequent traffic users too, who want to get the device up and going fast when commuting with it every day (daily use of Live Services traffic in our case).

People seem to have made a big deal of the fiddly USB connection on the existing models, but to be honest, we have got used to the EasyPort mount, and just leave it on the windshield now. The USB cable can always remain attached to the XL 340S Live (all the time, except when updating), since the leather cover design allows it to remain attached while still protecting the unit from damage. In reality, all we do is attach the unit to the EasyPort mount before driving, and plug in the cord to the lighter. It doesn't take that long.

TomTom XL 340S LIVE, GO LIVE 2535M, XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) in LA traffic
Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (worthy, but retired)
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2011 :  05:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted this in another thread (on the topic of HD traffic) but the GO 2535 series was available for pre-order on amazon.com this weekend.

- $320 for the U.S. version, with lifetime traffic and maps,
- $350 for the world version, and,
- $350 for the Live Services version, with lifetime maps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MYFTDI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18KCK7FX94BBDR0GRA64&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Portable-Bluetooth-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B004J4VYEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1300206175&sr=1-1

There are two links, because amazon have so far failed to get them all on the same page, the way they usually do with different versions of the same series of TomTom products.

I also believe that lifetime maps may be for the North America maps only, not for world maps (but don't take my word for it without checking first!).

[Edited to correct errors as a result of late night brain failure.]

Edited by - Kex on 15 mars 2011 17:38:46
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2011 :  06:06:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reposting here, still available for pre-order it seems, can't see any delay though : "You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives."

I don't think the one you linked is the LIVE version, but rather the "GO 2535 TM WTE" version as described on TomTom's site : http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/go-2535-tm-wte/ - You would normally get updates for all the maps on your device, in this case NA and Europe.

The LIVE version (http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/go-2535-m-live/) loses the T for Lifetime Traffic, which makes sense since it's sybscription based and Amazon have it too for $350 : http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Portable-Bluetooth-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B004J4VYEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1300165413&sr=1-2

Might be a hard sell since you'll have to buy a subscription after a year, but you also get Gas Prices and Local Search, info that a few potential buyers can already get via their Phone.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2011 :  18:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I corrected my earlier post. Sorry about that!

As for the maps issue. You are right that all the TomTom information states that you will get lifetime maps for whatever maps are installed on the unit, but I've read about problems elsewhere, on other models, where this was not the case. Only the North America map got lifetime updates, even though the unit came with other world maps at the time of purchase. I think it's a case of buyer beware, or at least, be aware! It's still a good deal given the small price difference.

EDIT: here it is, straight from the horse's mouth!
quote:
Lifetime Map Updates cover the countries of the United States, Canada and Mexico. Updates are limited to the regions that are pre-installed on the device.

If your navigation device has maps of other countries, for example, Western Europe, these will not be updated through Lifetime Map Updates.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12206/c/2354

As for the one year subscription: we got our XL 340S Live with only three months included, and we're still paying the $10 every month since then. It's hard to say if it's completely worth it or not, but I'll know more about that after a few months of comparison usage with our new, almost identical, XL 340TM (it does have IQ Routes, but it does not have Live Services, so it has to rely on less sophisticated traffic information).

Otherwise, if you factor in nine extra months of Live Services included, it makes the GO 2535M Live $90 cheaper in real terms. Add that it has bluetooth, a bigger screen, a new magnetic mount (if it turns out to be a good design) then it is not so obvious that it compares unfavorably with the XL 340 models with Live Services (or the GO 740 models with Live Services, for that matter).

Personally, any interest I might have in this unit will be about:

(1) Screen brightness, and whether or not they've closed the gap in any way with Garmin on that score (the XL 340 screen is good, but it's barely readable in the very worst light conditions).

(2) The magnetic mount may turn out to be important as well, since traffic-conscious commuters like us are very aware of anything fiddly that wastes time when setting up (even thirty seconds fiddling with your GPS seems like an eternity at oh-dark-hundred).

(3) Accurate touch sensitivity helps as well to improve frustration levels in such circumstances. It's not good if you have to push the screen several times to get it to register, only to find that one more push registers twice instead of just once.

Edited by - Kex on 15 mars 2011 21:46:27
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2011 :  07:20:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 2x35 devices appear to be similar/identical to the 2405/2505 released last year so you can read about them here : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138291

1. Screen brightness : it's good, same type of capacitive screen (think iPhone) as the nuvi 3790, works better in direct sun light than a resistive screen like your XL 340.K

2. Yes, it's very nifty, just drop the GPS in and you're good to go. Only slight issue is that you will need to use that same cable to connect the GO to your computer

3. A capacitive screen helps with sensitivity, but you still need a fast interface and I for one find the "Nav 3" systems a bit "laggy", usable, but not as fast as I'd want them to be.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2011 :  05:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried searching here, and via Google, to try to get a sense of when the 2535 TM or M Live will be available. My "old" (2.5 years?) Garmin 755T needs a new cradle (the 18 pin jack is a common failure point), and my maps are a couple of years out of date. I found a new cradle online for $20 and ordered it. May keep this as a backup device...but I'm in the market for something new, and the 2535m Live or TM look enticing. Just can't find anything but a couple of threads here, and a handful of Amazon ads that allow me to "pre-order" the device. But no real sense of when it will actually be available.

Any thoughts?

- Jon

- Jon

Tomtom Go 2535M Live - & - Garmin Nuvi 755t
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2011 :  05:35:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never been closer ;-) When they were announced at CES in January, I think they gave a "Q1 availability"...actually let's check -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=285 - nope "Mid-2011 Availability", the wait goes on then.

Since you're familiar with Garmin's way of doing things, need a GPS quickly and seem to be interested in a "connected" GPS, you might want to look into getting the nuvi 1690 or nuvi 1695, they both have their dedicated topic in the nuvi section.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2011 :  17:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can get by with my 2 year old maps on the 755t and I've found that I can get away with USB power for the nuvi for the moment - my car has powered USB ports low on the dash in front of the console (ostensibly for audio devices). I used a standard USB cable from the car to the 755t, managed to get it back on my bean bag dash mount, and it's tolerable for a week or so. With USB power, the device won't go to full brightness or volume, regardless of what I set it to. I can navigate, but I've got 2 year old maps, a dim screen and low volume. The replacement cradle I ordered via Amazon ($20) out to be here in about a week.

I read through about 15 or 16 pages of discussion here about the 1695...and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I guess I expect more from my next GPS, and my impression is that there are a lot of mixed feelings / reviews about the device.

Interesting on the tomtom site that you can navigate to support, select the 2535, and wind up on a page that lets you download a document for the european 1000 model. The impression is that tomtom is getting ready to release this. Seeing the various 2535 models on tomtom's site, amazon (taking pre-orders) and crutchfield (also taking pre-orders) certainly makes it "feel" imminent... Maybe that's just wishful thinking, as the feature set sounds pretty appealing and I'd love to compare it against similarly priced Garmins before making a decision.

- Jon

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  19:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest News:

1) The GO 2535TM is no longer on pre-order on amazon.com, but listed as "In Stock".

2) The GO 2535TM WTE is still listed as "This item has not yet been released", and is available for pre-order.

3) You still have to navigate to a different screen (the "old" way) to find the GO 2535M Live (link available in posts above), and it too is still listed today as "This item has not yet been released", but is also available for pre-order.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  19:15:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, let the rush begin ;-)

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  20:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup - 2535TM is even available there with 2 day shipping...

Just leaning toward the Live version. Will watch for a bit, maybe see how people make out with this over the first couple of weeks. The replacement cradle for my nuvi 755t should arrive in a day or two, so maybe I can get by with that for a bit....

Really curious to see how well the 2535m Live works.

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2011 :  03:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
amazon.com dropped the price from $320 to $278 for now on the 2535tm.
Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2011 :  03:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You beat me to it! Just saw the price drop tonight, just a couple of days after the device first became available. Nice! No reviews yet - although I'm not expecting it to be much different than the 1000 in Europe. I notice the Live version isn't ready yet -- still curious to see how that works out. That's the one that really intrigues me, as good up to the minute traffic would be very useful along with the other Live services.

For the moment, I'm pleased to report that the $19.95 mounting clip that I found on Amazon did the trick for my 3 year old Nuvi 755t -- seems to be working just fine again, although the maps ARE 2.5 years out of date (very noticeable on some of the roads I drive between NJ, PA and MD where major rerouting has been taking place). Stable enough now so I can use it while hanging on to see what people think of the 2535 TM and M Live versions.

- Jon

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2011 :  02:43:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Strange to see a price drop that fast!

I have a 2535 test unit and can report that it works rather well and as you thought very similar to the European GO 1000, or rather the GO 1005 as it has a 5" screen. I don't particularly miss the LIVE service and HD Traffic as I've never found it to be so much better than traffic information via RDS TMC. The receiver that comes with the 2535 is very sensitive and picks up traffic information very quickly.

The good news is that the MyTomTom (link : https://tomtom.com/en_us/mytomtom/getstarted/) PC companion app has changed for the better since the GO 1000 came out and you can now add your own POIs and Speedcams (albeit one at a time versus copy/paste on previous TomTom units). Map updates are available too now, currently v865.

My biggest complaint with the 2535 is the "boring" map display on the road compared to the nuvi 3790T that shows terrain. On the 2535 it's just a simplistic representation of the roads. And let me clarify that I was never one to pan TomTom for their so-called "cartoonish" map representation 3 or 4 years ago but now that the competition offers so much more pleasing options, it's time they improved it too.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2011 :  21:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guessing the price drop is in response to Garmin drops... I'm looking at Amazon and see:
- 1390 LMT from $300 down to $190
- 1370T from $450 down to $203
- 1490 LMT from $350 down to $204
- 3790 LMT from $500 down to $375 (did anyone actually pay $500 for one of these?)
- 3760LMT from $450 down to $370
- 2460 at $300
- 2360 at $260
- 2350 at $205

I don't know offhand which of these are "old" models...but my impression is that we're seeing a bit of a price war here. No complaints here! Just looking forward to some detailed reviews / experience with the 2535 series...and maybe a close up comparison between LIVE and RDS/TMC traffic. I know the traffic on my old Garmin 755t is truly mediocre and rarely -- very rarely -- adds any value to my trip. I was hoping for something better...

- Jon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05