Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 TomTom AIO Forums - www.GOTomTom.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom GPS GO 2435, 2535 - MyTomTom
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2011 :  01:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just saw these on the U.S. tomtom site

# GO 2535•TM WTE
# GO 2535•M LIVE
# GO 2535 Series
# GO 2435 Series

Looks like the live model includes 1 year of service instead of 3 months. In case you don't know WTE means World Traveler's Edition.

Not sure what's different between the two 2x35 and 2x05 models.

[ed - original title : New tomtom's coming, the 2x35's]

Edited by - caryrae on 18 févr. 2011 02:52:59

Ads

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2011 :  02:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One year of Live Services seems like a good idea to me (depending on price), and the powered windshield mount seems like a good idea for frequent traffic users too, who want to get the device up and going fast when commuting with it every day (daily use of Live Services traffic in our case).

People seem to have made a big deal of the fiddly USB connection on the existing models, but to be honest, we have got used to the EasyPort mount, and just leave it on the windshield now. The USB cable can always remain attached to the XL 340S Live (all the time, except when updating), since the leather cover design allows it to remain attached while still protecting the unit from damage. In reality, all we do is attach the unit to the EasyPort mount before driving, and plug in the cord to the lighter. It doesn't take that long.

TomTom XL 340S LIVE, GO LIVE 2535M, XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) in LA traffic
Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (worthy, but retired)
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2011 :  05:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted this in another thread (on the topic of HD traffic) but the GO 2535 series was available for pre-order on amazon.com this weekend.

- $320 for the U.S. version, with lifetime traffic and maps,
- $350 for the world version, and,
- $350 for the Live Services version, with lifetime maps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MYFTDI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18KCK7FX94BBDR0GRA64&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Portable-Bluetooth-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B004J4VYEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1300206175&sr=1-1

There are two links, because amazon have so far failed to get them all on the same page, the way they usually do with different versions of the same series of TomTom products.

I also believe that lifetime maps may be for the North America maps only, not for world maps (but don't take my word for it without checking first!).

[Edited to correct errors as a result of late night brain failure.]

Edited by - Kex on 15 mars 2011 17:38:46
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2011 :  06:06:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reposting here, still available for pre-order it seems, can't see any delay though : "You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives."

I don't think the one you linked is the LIVE version, but rather the "GO 2535 TM WTE" version as described on TomTom's site : http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/go-2535-tm-wte/ - You would normally get updates for all the maps on your device, in this case NA and Europe.

The LIVE version (http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/go-2535-m-live/) loses the T for Lifetime Traffic, which makes sense since it's sybscription based and Amazon have it too for $350 : http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Portable-Bluetooth-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B004J4VYEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1300165413&sr=1-2

Might be a hard sell since you'll have to buy a subscription after a year, but you also get Gas Prices and Local Search, info that a few potential buyers can already get via their Phone.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2011 :  18:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I corrected my earlier post. Sorry about that!

As for the maps issue. You are right that all the TomTom information states that you will get lifetime maps for whatever maps are installed on the unit, but I've read about problems elsewhere, on other models, where this was not the case. Only the North America map got lifetime updates, even though the unit came with other world maps at the time of purchase. I think it's a case of buyer beware, or at least, be aware! It's still a good deal given the small price difference.

EDIT: here it is, straight from the horse's mouth!
quote:
Lifetime Map Updates cover the countries of the United States, Canada and Mexico. Updates are limited to the regions that are pre-installed on the device.

If your navigation device has maps of other countries, for example, Western Europe, these will not be updated through Lifetime Map Updates.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12206/c/2354

As for the one year subscription: we got our XL 340S Live with only three months included, and we're still paying the $10 every month since then. It's hard to say if it's completely worth it or not, but I'll know more about that after a few months of comparison usage with our new, almost identical, XL 340TM (it does have IQ Routes, but it does not have Live Services, so it has to rely on less sophisticated traffic information).

Otherwise, if you factor in nine extra months of Live Services included, it makes the GO 2535M Live $90 cheaper in real terms. Add that it has bluetooth, a bigger screen, a new magnetic mount (if it turns out to be a good design) then it is not so obvious that it compares unfavorably with the XL 340 models with Live Services (or the GO 740 models with Live Services, for that matter).

Personally, any interest I might have in this unit will be about:

(1) Screen brightness, and whether or not they've closed the gap in any way with Garmin on that score (the XL 340 screen is good, but it's barely readable in the very worst light conditions).

(2) The magnetic mount may turn out to be important as well, since traffic-conscious commuters like us are very aware of anything fiddly that wastes time when setting up (even thirty seconds fiddling with your GPS seems like an eternity at oh-dark-hundred).

(3) Accurate touch sensitivity helps as well to improve frustration levels in such circumstances. It's not good if you have to push the screen several times to get it to register, only to find that one more push registers twice instead of just once.

Edited by - Kex on 15 mars 2011 21:46:27
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2011 :  07:20:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 2x35 devices appear to be similar/identical to the 2405/2505 released last year so you can read about them here : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138291

1. Screen brightness : it's good, same type of capacitive screen (think iPhone) as the nuvi 3790, works better in direct sun light than a resistive screen like your XL 340.K

2. Yes, it's very nifty, just drop the GPS in and you're good to go. Only slight issue is that you will need to use that same cable to connect the GO to your computer

3. A capacitive screen helps with sensitivity, but you still need a fast interface and I for one find the "Nav 3" systems a bit "laggy", usable, but not as fast as I'd want them to be.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2011 :  05:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried searching here, and via Google, to try to get a sense of when the 2535 TM or M Live will be available. My "old" (2.5 years?) Garmin 755T needs a new cradle (the 18 pin jack is a common failure point), and my maps are a couple of years out of date. I found a new cradle online for $20 and ordered it. May keep this as a backup device...but I'm in the market for something new, and the 2535m Live or TM look enticing. Just can't find anything but a couple of threads here, and a handful of Amazon ads that allow me to "pre-order" the device. But no real sense of when it will actually be available.

Any thoughts?

- Jon

- Jon

Tomtom Go 2535M Live - & - Garmin Nuvi 755t
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2011 :  05:35:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never been closer ;-) When they were announced at CES in January, I think they gave a "Q1 availability"...actually let's check -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=285 - nope "Mid-2011 Availability", the wait goes on then.

Since you're familiar with Garmin's way of doing things, need a GPS quickly and seem to be interested in a "connected" GPS, you might want to look into getting the nuvi 1690 or nuvi 1695, they both have their dedicated topic in the nuvi section.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2011 :  17:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can get by with my 2 year old maps on the 755t and I've found that I can get away with USB power for the nuvi for the moment - my car has powered USB ports low on the dash in front of the console (ostensibly for audio devices). I used a standard USB cable from the car to the 755t, managed to get it back on my bean bag dash mount, and it's tolerable for a week or so. With USB power, the device won't go to full brightness or volume, regardless of what I set it to. I can navigate, but I've got 2 year old maps, a dim screen and low volume. The replacement cradle I ordered via Amazon ($20) out to be here in about a week.

I read through about 15 or 16 pages of discussion here about the 1695...and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I guess I expect more from my next GPS, and my impression is that there are a lot of mixed feelings / reviews about the device.

Interesting on the tomtom site that you can navigate to support, select the 2535, and wind up on a page that lets you download a document for the european 1000 model. The impression is that tomtom is getting ready to release this. Seeing the various 2535 models on tomtom's site, amazon (taking pre-orders) and crutchfield (also taking pre-orders) certainly makes it "feel" imminent... Maybe that's just wishful thinking, as the feature set sounds pretty appealing and I'd love to compare it against similarly priced Garmins before making a decision.

- Jon

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  19:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest News:

1) The GO 2535TM is no longer on pre-order on amazon.com, but listed as "In Stock".

2) The GO 2535TM WTE is still listed as "This item has not yet been released", and is available for pre-order.

3) You still have to navigate to a different screen (the "old" way) to find the GO 2535M Live (link available in posts above), and it too is still listed today as "This item has not yet been released", but is also available for pre-order.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  19:15:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, let the rush begin ;-)

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  20:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup - 2535TM is even available there with 2 day shipping...

Just leaning toward the Live version. Will watch for a bit, maybe see how people make out with this over the first couple of weeks. The replacement cradle for my nuvi 755t should arrive in a day or two, so maybe I can get by with that for a bit....

Really curious to see how well the 2535m Live works.

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2011 :  03:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
amazon.com dropped the price from $320 to $278 for now on the 2535tm.
Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2011 :  03:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You beat me to it! Just saw the price drop tonight, just a couple of days after the device first became available. Nice! No reviews yet - although I'm not expecting it to be much different than the 1000 in Europe. I notice the Live version isn't ready yet -- still curious to see how that works out. That's the one that really intrigues me, as good up to the minute traffic would be very useful along with the other Live services.

For the moment, I'm pleased to report that the $19.95 mounting clip that I found on Amazon did the trick for my 3 year old Nuvi 755t -- seems to be working just fine again, although the maps ARE 2.5 years out of date (very noticeable on some of the roads I drive between NJ, PA and MD where major rerouting has been taking place). Stable enough now so I can use it while hanging on to see what people think of the 2535 TM and M Live versions.

- Jon

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2011 :  02:43:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Strange to see a price drop that fast!

I have a 2535 test unit and can report that it works rather well and as you thought very similar to the European GO 1000, or rather the GO 1005 as it has a 5" screen. I don't particularly miss the LIVE service and HD Traffic as I've never found it to be so much better than traffic information via RDS TMC. The receiver that comes with the 2535 is very sensitive and picks up traffic information very quickly.

The good news is that the MyTomTom (link : https://tomtom.com/en_us/mytomtom/getstarted/) PC companion app has changed for the better since the GO 1000 came out and you can now add your own POIs and Speedcams (albeit one at a time versus copy/paste on previous TomTom units). Map updates are available too now, currently v865.

My biggest complaint with the 2535 is the "boring" map display on the road compared to the nuvi 3790T that shows terrain. On the 2535 it's just a simplistic representation of the roads. And let me clarify that I was never one to pan TomTom for their so-called "cartoonish" map representation 3 or 4 years ago but now that the competition offers so much more pleasing options, it's time they improved it too.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2011 :  21:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guessing the price drop is in response to Garmin drops... I'm looking at Amazon and see:
- 1390 LMT from $300 down to $190
- 1370T from $450 down to $203
- 1490 LMT from $350 down to $204
- 3790 LMT from $500 down to $375 (did anyone actually pay $500 for one of these?)
- 3760LMT from $450 down to $370
- 2460 at $300
- 2360 at $260
- 2350 at $205

I don't know offhand which of these are "old" models...but my impression is that we're seeing a bit of a price war here. No complaints here! Just looking forward to some detailed reviews / experience with the 2535 series...and maybe a close up comparison between LIVE and RDS/TMC traffic. I know the traffic on my old Garmin 755t is truly mediocre and rarely -- very rarely -- adds any value to my trip. I was hoping for something better...

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2011 :  21:43:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks more like MSRP vs Street than Street in March vs Street in April?

Don't have a lot to add about the 2535 to what I wrote above, if you have any specific questions, feel free.

As for HD Traffic USA it's not available yet so it can't be compared to anything. In the meantime you can read up about it in the topic dedicated to TomTom HD Traffic project, it was recently updated -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?topic_id=100734 - it doesn't look grounbreaking.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2011 :  22:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're probably right re: prices. I was just reading them from the Amazon page -- but of course they'll present it in the best light, not month on month street prices.

No specific questions yet. More just curious to know how 2535 compares with similarly priced (even somewhat differently priced) Garmins. My 755t is fair (and would be better with new maps), but I was hoping for something better. I like the idea of voice command (though it's not critical by any means), I like the idea of faster recalculation (so I don't miss turns), I like the idea of more sophisticated routing and alternate routes / avoidance of traffic issues, and live services intrigue me. Just trying to learn as much as I can before buying...

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2011 :  22:44:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Makes sense. I've switched from the 760 to the 3790T so it's not quite a fair comparison for the GO 2535. I think TomTom could have done better in terms of responsiveness of the interface and map display. Best would be for you could try it for yourself, Amazon give you 30 days to send it back if you don't like it.

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2011 :  23:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pricing on the GO 2535TM is slowly creeping back up. Amazon are out of stock, so amazon.com orders are being shipped by Electronica Direct, which, unlike amazon.com, charges shipping. Currently the unit costs about $300, with about $8 in shipping charges.

Actually, this pricing makes the Live unit and the TM WTE unit look a comparative bargain. The Live unit includes $120 worth of live services, so $350-120 = $230, even if it doesn't experience a similar reduction in price compared to MSRP as was commented on earlier. The TM WTE at an MSRP of $350 includes the Europe map, which would cost $90 if purchased on its own, compared to a $30 difference in MSRP with the TM unit that comes only with North America maps.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2011 :  23:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing a variety of prices across the net. If you just try google shopping to check the price (search for tomtom 2535). You DO have to factor in shipping, and of course issues like trustworthiness of seller, return policies, shipping time, etc.

Yes - Amazon is all over the place. If you dig for different listings, you can still find one that lists the TM price at $291.17 with free super saver shipping (you have to see price in the shopping cart).

Buy.com is selling the TM for $278 plus $5 shipping = $283.
J&R Music World is selling the TM for $283 with free shipping = $283.
MacMall is selling the TM for $278 with free shipping = $278
PCNation is selling the TM for about $278.60 with free shipping.

Here's the search link - results should be ordered by total price:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tomtom+2535&hl=en&prmd=ivns&biw=1251&bih=736&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1869198366125456568&sa=X&ei=CeeYTcbiEoHpgAfVvL3GCA&ved=0CFkQ8wIwAA#scoring=tp

I'm seeing the Live offered at $300 at TheGPSStore.com -- appears that 2nd day air shipping is $10, and regular ground is $5, but I don't know anything about them as a retailer (do your own due diligence!). Google shopping link ordered by price is:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1251&bih=736&q=tomtom+2535m+live&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13716194649010047300&sa=X&ei=eOmYTabnFojqgQeWjp3LCA&ved=0CE4Q8wIwAA#scoring=tp

Overall, my impression is that you can get a pretty good price on either the TM or M Live, and there's only about a $20 to $25 difference between them.

I'm still holding out to see how they compare to similarly price Garmins in side-by-side testing.

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2011 :  01:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, all I can suggest, having switched from Garmin to TomTom last year is that:

1) In the past, the main reason not to switch to TomTom was screen brightness when compared to Garmin. The newer screens were acceptable, but they were never as good as any Garmin I ever tried. This is no longer a reason not to switch with these new screens, from what gpspassion wrote earlier.

2) The main reason to switch to TomTom, in my opinion, is the way IQ Routes improves detour planning. Using our Garmin to avoid traffic was an exercise in total frustration. The expected travel times on side streets were so optimistic that you were guaranteed to arrive much later than the detour suggested. In fact, we just ignored it since we remained convinced that (almost always) it would have been faster to just stay on the freeway with the traffic. It was a very painful lesson to learn, too, as you can imagine.

Everything else is mostly a matter of preference for certain comparatively minor features in my estimation: I do prefer some aspects of Garmin devices, and other aspects of TomTom devices. If Garmin ever gets trafficTrends working properly, I'll certainly consider switching back again (although recent improvements to TomTom Live traffic seem promising here in L.A.) but until they do, any Garmin (no matter how gorgeous, no matter how fantastic, no matter how cheap) is totally useless to me for avoiding traffic, with or without accurate traffic information.

Our Garmin is still a wonderful device, and we loved it for travelling hundreds and thousands of miles across country, but when at home, it never made it out of the glove box after the first month or so (until it was time for another long trip). The TomToms are not quite as polished when travelling across country, because of the way POI's are listed along a given route in particular, but they get used every single day for traffic avoidance. We have become so used to the traffic avoidance capability of our TomToms that we use them for long trips too now, even though we mostly preferred the Garmin for those.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2011 :  04:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kex, gpspassion, offthegrid - thx for all the info. I've been browsing other threads in the meantime, including the HD/Live traffic thread you guys have been working on recently. My garmin 755t is "alive" again since I replaced the power cradle for it, and it's working again pretty much like new. But traffic avoidance on it has been virtually useless, and sometimes - as kex has noted - it can be worse than simply ignoring it. I was on a route recently -- only about 50 miles, and the 755t reported a delay of about 12 minutes and then rerouted me around it (I must have that chosen in avoidance options? have to look in the morning) - the avoidance route was bizarre at best, taking me on all sorts of tiny obscure side streets, including one marked "Private" (I guess it's not flagged as restricted / private on the map), and got me to my destination about 45 minutes later.

Also - when traffic delays show on the map, they rarely exist any more by the time I arrive at the marked location on the map. Really seems like the data is stale by the time I see it on the 755t.

I could certainly benefit from an effective real-time traffic avoidance feature -- and what I'm reading about HD / Live in the US sounds really promising, even though it may not be "HD" in the same sense as the European implementation. I also suspect that IQ Routing will give me better results on those side streets if I wind up being diverted around a traffic issue.

I've put many miles on the 755t, and I can imagine that it will be worth hanging onto. For routine trips, it's been great, and it will probably wind up with a home in our 2nd car while a new device rides with me for my daily and business trips. Maybe get a bike mount for my kids to use with it (have to crack it open, though, and replace the battery for that to be practical).

From all I'm seeing here, I am leaning more and more toward hanging on a bit more for a 2535M Live. Sounds like it has the potential to really improve a lot of my driving experiences (lots of 150 to 200 mile drives for business trips to a various cities and offices in the northeast US).

Hoping that the Live will be out soon, now that the other 2535 units are shipping...

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2011 :  04:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2535M Live is shipping from Crutchfield for $320 and there is a $20 off code when you use a Visa card at Crutchfield. I live in RI and the free 2 day shipping from them is actually one day to here and includes Saturday delivery or it has in the past because they use Fedex Ground.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_6252535TM/TomTom-GO-2535-TM.html?tp=145&nvpair=FFBrand|TomTom

Save $20 on your order of $100 or more from Crutchfield® when you pay with your Visa® card. Choose from a huge selection of the latest top-brand audio/video gear. Get one-on-one help from the friendly Crutchfield® experts.

To redeem this offer, click the link below and enter promotional code 3A171 at checkout. Or, just call Crutchfield® to speak with a knowledgeable sales advisor at 1-800-653-0938, and be sure to mention promotional code 3A171.

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2011 :  06:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, offthegrid. The more I think about it, the more I think this will be my next GPS (after reading some of the finer details provided by gpspassion and others). The improvements I've noticed with Live Services traffic over the last two weeks alone have been very encouraging (here in L.A. at least, when compared to the old TrafficCast information). I don't know if this is being echoed in other forums or not, but I'll try and provide a few examples of what I'm noticing in the HD Traffic thread before too long.

I'm not quite ready to change just yet, since my Live subscription is still active on my XL 340S, but at under $300, this really starts to look interesting, with $120 worth of Live services included, and $100 worth of lifetime maps, especially with some of the enhanced features.

I'm prepared to live with some of the issues concerning MyTomTom for six months or so, especially if it enables me to update my device using Linux instead of Windows (TomTom is one of the two or three reasons I even use Windows any more).

I bet these will start shipping from amazon.com and others soon, if Crutchfield has them already in stock.

EDIT! I followed the link, and it showed the GO 2535TM, not the GO 2535M Live. The latter shows up as "out of stock".

Edited by - Kex on 08 avr. 2011 14:47:51
Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2011 :  22:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that. Crutchfield sold out already and its at $350 there. I must have been tired when I was posting that.

Here are some additional links thanks to doctormstein1 @TomTom forums.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_6252535TML/TomTom-GO-2535-M-LIVE.html?tp=145&nvpair=FFBrand%7cTomTom

http://tomtom.factoryoutletstore.com/details/40453/tomtom-go2535m-live

http://www.thegpsstore.com/TomTom-GO-2535M-Live-Connected-GPS-with-Lifetime-Maps-P2683.aspx
Go to Top of Page

bjerrems

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2011 :  03:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pre-ordered the GO 2535M Live from The GPS Store (www.thegpsstore.com) on March 29. They are selling it for $300; my order shipped today, and I should receive it by Tuesday (3/12) with UPS 2 (business) day shipping. As of 6:00 pm PDT, they still show it "in Stock" on the GPS Store website, so I advise ordering it before they run out! (as Crutchfield already did). My GO 740 Live seems to be getting HD Traffic, but it updates slowly, and route recalculations are slow as well. Its touchscreen is getting flaky also (but I have had it for 2 years). So my GO 2535M Live is coming just in time! I will post again to report how it works for me in the traffic-prone Los Angeles area!
Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2011 :  23:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it once you've had a chance to give it a try. If it's all it sounds like, it will be my next GPS. Good luck with it!

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

fljoemon

118 Posts

Posted - 11 avr. 2011 :  03:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,

Had a quick question .. I am interested in getting the 2535 LIVE. I know one year of subscription is included for the LIVE Services. Now if I do not renew my subscription, will I still get Traffic services on my device .. not the HD Traffic .. just regular traffic (FM). Does the car charger include the built-in traffic receiver?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 11 avr. 2011 :  19:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. If you do not renew your subscription with Live Services, you will loose traffic information.

However, I have been able to connect an RDS-TMC (free lifetime traffic) receiver to a Live device with no active Live Services subscription, and the Live device was able to use the RDS-TMC receiver normally to show any available traffic information from the Total Traffic Network (not TomTom HD Traffic). Some XL models are sold in the U.S. as the XL 340TM Live, so with those devices, the free lifetime traffic receiver is already included. That would enable the owner to decide to not renew Live Services, if only temporarily, and still receive the lesser form of traffic information provided by TTN.

The GO 2535M Live, on the other hand, only has lifetime maps included, so the charger cable supplied will not have the required FM receiver for the free lifetime traffic service to work. Maybe they intend to release a GO 2535TM Live later.

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 11 avr. 2011 :  19:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GO 2535M Live now available from all of my local BestBuy stores, according to their website. Price is $350 at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 11 avr. 2011 :  21:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that recent releases of TomTom firmware have limited the ability to program intermediate stops along a route - allowing either one only or perhaps none at all. Can anyone comment on this regarding the 2535 series? While this might seem to defeat the purpose of IQ routes, it can be important if you want to take a scenic drive or regularly use less-traveled roads.

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 15 avr. 2011 :  06:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah well...impulse won out over sense...I stopped in at Best Buy and tried out a 2535M Live (one of two they just received) and liked it enough to go ahead and buy it. Although it was list price, I rationalized that the use of the Best Buy gift cards sitting in my wallet since Christmas would offset the pain of paying so much for it... :)

Anyway - plugged into the PC, loaded up MyTomTom, verified all the software and maps are current, set my preferences...and I'm now way too tired to try it out in the car! Will have to wait till tomorrow. But my first experiments with voice control were very impressive - seems to understand pretty much everything I'm saying. Nice display, love the new responsive surface.

Also picked up their "2nd generation beanbag" mount for the dash (smooth leatherette surface instead of ballistic nylon). Seems good -- and I had gotten used to a base like this with my old Garmin. I like being able to make it less obvious that I might have a GPS stashed somewhere in the car by simply moving the base to the floor when I get out of the car...

Tomorrow is the maiden voyage...

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 avr. 2011 :  16:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon! You knew the moment you arrived in the parking lot of the BB that you were risking life and limb if you entered the store (well, that's if you consider "life and limb" as an accurate definition of "$350 and sales tax").

It'll be interesting to read about your impressions. When I switched from my Garmin StreetPilot, I liked some of the TomTom features, and disliked others, but thought that I had probably made a mistake for about three months initially. I only kept the device because of traffic handling abilities that the SP just didn't have (that was over a year ago). The XL 340 improved substantially within six months overall, and traffic information, while it improved steadily as well, has recently taken a leap forward if my experiences during the past month are any indication.

IQ Routes has been the most surprising aspect in my opinion, though, and continues to provide fair, good or excellent, avoidance timing about 75-90% of the time. It proves to be a useful tool even when traffic information is not accurate (as long as you either have somebody else in the car to help you manipulate the device, and find alternative routes, or you are on your own but have a fair idea of which direction to drive in to avoid the unannounced traffic).

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 16 avr. 2011 :  05:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah well...it would have been comical to watch me... I tried out the device, told the salesman I'd think about it and come back - maybe. Then I wandered around the store for half an hour, circling closer to - then farther away from - the GPS display. Reason gave way to impulse...my wallet leapt into my hand, and I was lost...

I'm SO used to Garmin's menu "tree" that this does, in fact, require a bit of a learning curve. But I'm really liking lane guidance and the 2535's version of junction view. I like POI handling better than my old 755t. But a few items are a bit less than intuitive, e.g., keying in an address and then saving it to favorites -- seems pretty convoluted, until I navigate there. Time will tell...but my overall impression is very positive so far. I know there's going to be a learning curve, but I already have reason to believe that the overall experience will be a significant improvement.

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2011 :  02:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was close to a BestBuy today, so I decided to drop in and check out the GO 2535M Live. It was immediately clear to me that TomTom are not following the same strategy as Garmin for new products ...

1) Tom are clearly not valuing form over function, to say the least! Honestly, I am surprised: if anything, I think a casual user would expect the XL or XXL line to cost as much or MORE than the the new GO or VIA products. Judging from appearance only, there is certainly nothing iPhone-esque about the new GO. In fact, I might almost say that it would be entirely at home in a Yugo or a Trabant (links provided below, if you don't know what I'm talking about)! Were it not for what I already know about Live Services, and especially IQ Routes, I can't imagine why anyone would pay $350 in store for this rather than the simply gorgeous, thin and lovely Garmin nüvi 3790. In fact, if you want my opinion, the Garmin 2xxx and 1xxx series all look at least as good as the latest GO or VIA from TomTom.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1972071,00.html
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658030,00.html

2) The screen contest is over. The new TomTom screens are every bit as good as anyone else. You will have no problems typing without errors and you shouldn't have any problems with sunlight.

3) The new "aero" type presentation is nice, much better than the old screen layout, and I think I might even prefer it to Garmin's current layout - but that's a matter of choice, so you'll have to make up your own mind.

4) I could not judge the new mount, since the unit was on a theft prevention device instead of the normal TomTom mount.

Because of presentation alone, though, I would suggest that these will come down in price before long. Yes:

- The 3790 with lifetime maps does sell for more.
- The GO 2535 includes $120 worth of Live Services.
- The GO 2535 includes $100 worth of lifetime maps.

But ... these simply do not look like high end, or even mid-range products to me. They might best be described as "utilitarian" in appearance.

Perhaps TomTom want you to pay for the maps and services, first and foremost, as well as bluetooth functions and other nice features (voice commands ...), so perhaps they are trying to make the units themselves as cheaply as possible (albeit without jeopardizing screen quality, apparently).

I doubt whether BestBuy employees are up to the task of selling these very effectively. The person I spoke to didn't even know about nüLink or Live Services. All he could say was that his Garmin wasn't very good in traffic. Without proper information concerning why a TomTom might possibly be considered equal to, or better than, a Garmin, I fail to see how these would stand out as a better buy.

At least there was a very prominent interactive display that DID have pertinent and meaningful information about the product and it's features, including IQ Routes and HD Traffic.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2011 :  05:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes...Garmin's newer devices feel more modern...but I have to say that, in hand, the 2535 feels incredibly solid. It may not look like a new iPod (as the new Nuvi's might), but it really doesn't feel antiquated. That said, the high end Nuvi's feature pinch zoom -- the 2535 doesn't. However the 2535 does understand some gestures (such as scrolling), and the touch sensitivity is, in general, excellent. TomTom seems to a platform in place that they can enhance if they choose to do so.

I took the 2535 on a short trip today -- about 45 miles each way -- and noticed a few features that really made me smile after having lived with a Nuvi 755T for 3 years. The Nuvi seemed to have a lot of trouble recognizing and navigating traffic circles well, and wound up misleading me a few times when I wasn't familiar with the neighborhood. Typically, if my route required me to drive "through" a traffic circle (e.g., exit on the side opposite my entry), the Nuvi would tell me to "Turn right", and then "Turn right" a second time, apparently interpreting the entry to the circle as a right turn, and the exit out of the circle as a second right turn. My mistake tended to be that would actually turn right on the first instruction, wind up not entering the circle, instead heading off 90 degrees to the right of the intended route. Really annoying when you're in a rush, late for an appointment - and caught in rush hour traffic.

Today I was delighted to see the 2535 actually talk me through entering the circle (I forget the quaint term it used), telling me which exit to take from the circle. The image at the bottom of the screen showing the next intersection was, likewise, perfect: it showed the road entering the circle and the path through and exiting the circle was properly highlighted. I tried a few different traffic circles and found this to be consistently correct where my 755T consistently offered the confusing "turn right" when I was supposed to enter a circle.

The 2535's lane guidance, in my opinion, blows away the 755T's lane guidance. I haven't played with the Nuvi 1490, 2xxx or 3xxx, so I don't know if they do better than my 755T -- but the 2535 is a huge improvement over what I used for the last 3 years in this respect.

The speech engine seems to be significantly better than the best text-to-speech voice the 755T can accomplish. Again - I don't know if the newer Nuvi's have a better speech engine than the 755T. But the speech with the 2535 is quite good (and I'm looking forward to the future ability to download other voices -- but for now the one provided is fine).

I've only had this device on perhaps a dozen short trips (anywhere from 10 miles to about 45 miles each way) so far, but ETA has been dead on accurate every time, and it's already pointed out a couple of routes that differ from what I've taken for years -- and they are, in fact, a couple of minutes faster than what I'm used to.

One other point of comparison: with the Nuvi, I often found that, while driving down a major highway like the New Jersey Turnpike, I would be told to "keep left" on the turnpike if I passed certain exits, as if this were interpreted as a fork in the road. The 2535 hasn't displayed this same behavior yet -- maybe due to the maps, or maybe due to the device, it seems to "understand" that I'm simply remaining on the same highway.

Re: the magnetic mount: it took a couple of uses before I was 100% used to it - and I really like it now. The cable end has magnets that hold it in place from the underside of the GPS mount, and the 2535 is also held to the base by magnets as well. Incredibly easy to pop it onto or off the base with one hand. Great design -- works incredibly well.

No question that there are a few rough edges on the current software version. But even with them, I'm finding significant reasons to really like this device, and I can easily see the current "issues" being addressed in software should TomTom choose to (I hope they do!).

I'm a technology / gadget nut from way back (I hate to date myself so...but I had an Apple II plus and Commodore Amiga 1000 before PC's entered the market. I appreciate new and well designed / executed technology. No question that Garmin's newer hardware feels more "state of the art", but I honestly don't find that the TomTom feels "old" or "clunky". It's a different design aesthetic to be sure, but comes across as modern and robust -- just not a "me too" device.

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2011 :  06:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, my first experiences with my first TomTom were not quite as positive as yours, but they did improve considerably over time. In fact, after the first six months or so, updates to the firmware had so improved the use of my older XL screen technology as to make it 90-99% reliable, even when typing names, scrolling long distances when browsing the map, or zooming. It really is quite excellent now, other than zooming (which is quite acceptable, but remains a tad tricky to manipulate with my preferred level of accuracy).

As for ETA, that was also so much better than the Garmin, and like you, we probably discovered a dozen new ways to get to or from downtown L.A. on side streets.

As you noted, traffic circles are never a problem, and if ever the instructions were not entirely clear, the graphic depiction certainly should be.

I'm hoping you'll see some improvements in the next few months, and map updates have also brought significant improvements on the XL (pronunciation in particular, when Los An-hell-ess finally became Los Angeles). Another improvement was automatically switching to upper case letters at the start of a name, and then back to lower case letters for the second and subsequent letters (my Garmin could already do that). I noticed that the GO 2535 does not seem to have this working yet. As for "pinch and zoom": they can keep it as far as I'm concerned. The zoom already works just fine, and I certainly don't care if I'm using a pinch gesture to achieve that.

I'm still seriously considering getting one of these, just because the price for me, in real terms, is already $120 less than whatever I pay (by saving me a year of Live Services on the XL 340S), but I can't help but wonder if uninformed buyers will turn away in favor of more bling from Garmin (the nüvi 3xxx series in particular), and we'll loose some potential for increased "probe" population.

Question: If you buy a spare cable to connect to your computer, does the vehicle cable remain attached to the mount? Is this a moot point, because the cable is so easy to attach or remove?

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2011 :  23:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took a short business trip today -- only about 36 miles from Princeton Junction, NJ to Horsham, PA to meet a client. One of the other folks from my company suggested that I ignore my GPS and take the shortcut she had learned "the hard way" to save a lot of time - but I said that I wanted to see what my 2535 came up with.

Turns out the the 2535 actually found a better route than my colleague's "short cut". After a 48 minute drive, I actually arrived at exactly the time that the 2535 had predicted when I first started out -- to the minute. I recall that my 755T was generally good at predicting ETA -- if I allowed for the fact that it didn't incorporate red lights in its estimates, so I always had to tack on a few percent beyond what it estimated up front. So far, that doesn't appear to be an issue with the TomTom -- ETA's have been eerily accurate.

Still haven't encountered traffic and rerouting yet, although I was amused when I requested that the device "take me home" from Horsham to Princeton Junction this afternoon: when it showed the destination summary before beginning navigation, the 2D map showed all sorts of yellow, orange and red hotspots on surrounding highways. Happily, none on my route.

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 21 avr. 2011 :  03:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The GO 2535M Live is now available on amazon.com, for the same price as BestBuy ($350).

One thing that has not been mentioned here is that the GO 2535M Live has 4GB of internal flash memory. The GO 2535TM WTE has 8GB. It's not clear from the TomTom website currently what memory is included with the GO 2535TM without world maps, but I've read elsewhere that it also has the larger 8GB.

Go to Top of Page

jreuschl

16 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2011 :  16:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my 2535 TME (World edition). So far I like it, though today when driving to work it indicated the text of the exit I was supposed to get off on was 7 miles behind me (never on the route) but the arrows were telling me to get off at the right exit. Hopefully this is just a strange bug that can be fixed soon. Anyone else noticing weird things like this?
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2011 :  18:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's odd. You could attempt to replicate the error in DEMO mode, to see if it happens again (just choose a departure point a couple of exits before the one being shown in text, and an arrival point somewhere after the correct exit, as shown by the arrows).

I wonder if it's a map problem. If so, any TomTom with the same map version should be able to replicate it in DEMO mode.

I do have a similar, but perhaps less surprising issue on my Garmin SP. It seems to be still there on Navteq maps, even today (so new maps must still have the issue). When traveling east from the CA-2 on the CA-134 (in Los Angeles/Glendale), going to the S. Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena (to the Whole Foods store, or BevMo store, for example) it tells you to get off the CA-134 freeway on S. St. John Ave., but this is at a major interchange and there is NO mention of S. St. John Ave anywhere to be seen! You have to:

1) Exit first, following directions for I-210 northbound,
2) Immediately exit again (from the CA-134 off ramp) and follow signs for Del Mar Bl and California Bl
3) Immediately merge onto the I-710 southbound
4) Follow I-710 for about 50 yds,
5) Only then can you exit onto S. St. John Ave.

Lane guidance or junction view solve this, as long as you're watching closely (every second counts) but my older SreetPilot doesn't have lane guidance or junction view. A driver not familiar with the error would most likely end up traveling north on the I-210, in the opposite direction from S. St. John Ave. (my first TomTom had these directions 100% accurate when new; Google maps also give correct, but somewhat confusing directions).

You could use the user map corrections feature to rename your intended exit's "street name" and see if that helps in the meantime. At least some off ramps seem to be labeled as "Unnamed road" on my device, but I could select them and rename them if I wanted to.

Go to Top of Page

dhn

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2011 :  18:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be careful about using the demo mode on any 1X, 2X or Via models. It only runs at 100% with NO way to speed it up!
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2011 :  19:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that's certainly annoying! I suppose you could set it beside you while you drink your morning poison (coffee, or whatever), or leave it on your desk while working on something else, so that you can pay attention only when it gets close to the problem areas.

I hope this gets upgraded at some point. Demo mode can be useful sometimes, but I mostly use it at 200% or even 300% speeds.

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2011 :  02:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhn

I'd be careful about using the demo mode on any 1X, 2X or Via models. It only runs at 100% with NO way to speed it up!

Actually, as it turns out, I think this might not be true. I've just got a new GO 2535M Live and I'm putting it through it's paces. I immediately noticed after my first demo it was taking less time than the expected driving trip, so I then planned a 1,000 mile journey (it took about 10-15 seconds to plan from start to finish, by the way), and this is what I found:

1) The five minute trip took about two or three minutes to demo.
2) The 1,000 mile journey started over again after less than one hour. I'm not sure if this is intentional or a phantom reboot problem ... yikes!
3) One minute in virtual journey time on the open road could actually take as little as ten seconds in real time.

What seems to happen is that virtual minutes expire faster and faster on the open road, when the next turn is some distance away. I was able to record demo speeds from slight acceleration (about 150% of normal) to as much as 600% (see point 3. above).

Following all that was rather tedious work (the timing part), but I'll try and confirm it later. This is with the device in "out of the box" state. No modifications or updates have been applied.

I'll add some other impressions later, but after reading all the horror stories, so far I'm quite pleased in general (if not necessarily impressed), even without any updates. Whether or not I "should" have bought it, when compared to an XL 340x(x) Live model, will probably depend on:

1) Any improvement in speed of acquisition of signal for Live Services.
3) Any improvement in reliability of signal for Live Services.
4) Screen brightness in direct sunlight.
5) Usage in downtown "canyons".
6) Ease of use with bluetooth (first attempt at pairing took about ten seconds or so, downloading contacts took about one second or two).
7) Ease of use of voice commands. This last point is actually of very minor importance to me when starting out from somewhere in a stopped vehicle, but it could certainly yield some improvements in safety and ease of use when something needs to be changed while driving.
8) Any unexpected improvements in other areas.

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2011 :  19:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some first impressions of the GO 2535M LIVE, out of the box (no updates whatsoever have been applied).

- App 10.155.660741.84 (0)
- OS 638956
- Map: v865.3296

1) I would say, that on the whole, this unit is far more operational than the XL 340S LIVE was when it first came out of the box, almost eighteen months ago. When first using the XL, the change from the rock solid Garmin StreetPilot 2720 was quite painful in many respects, and I'm not talking about minor quirks that people often complain about in these forums. The XL did, however improve dramatically over the course of six months or so, and is now a very nice device in many respects, and a good way to get LIVE Services on a budget device. If the GO 2535 improves to the same extent over the next six months, then it's going to pretty much meet 90% of my expectations, or better. It already is very usable so far, despite a plethora of complaints from some users. The most obvious glitch so far is probably the typing lag when searching favorites (each letter can take from two to four seconds to register, but at other times typing response is actually instant, which I'm hoping is how it will eventually always work).

2) From a physical point of view, this thing weighs a ton! It feels more like a laptop than a PND (albeit a very small and light laptop), and reminds me of that hippo from the Madagascar 2 movie, Moto Moto who talks about how he likes 'em big, he likes 'em hefty! It is quite a bit heavier than the XL 340S LIVE, at 260 grams. That's more than 0.5 lbs, and more than I generally like to carry around in my pockets! It is a bit big and chunky, although the actual dimensions seem very similar to those of a Garmin nüLink! 1695, so I suppose that's the way it has to be. The LIVE version of the XL is quite a bit “chunkier” than the standard versions (although the total dimensions only vary by one or two millimeters and that information does not show up in the specifications currently listed on TomTom's website).

3) Just based on appearance, as I said earlier, an uninformed user would probably not identify this as a higher end product than the XL 340, until they noticed the glass screen and a few other clues.

4) The screen is very nice. It does suffer from reflections, because it's glossy, but so far these have not been nearly enough to obscure the map during use. It is very easy to use, including taps when navigating menus or using the keyboard, and scrolling when browsing maps.

5) Signal acquisition for LIVE Services does not seem all that much faster than on the XL 340, if at all, and requires about 45 seconds or so, I would estimate, ... probably slightly less. Never as long as a minute so far, though, whenever I timed it, but not as fast as I had hoped. I was expecting almost immediate acquisition: thirty seconds or less. The signal has been very reliable so far, however.

6) The only computer voice available in U.S. English is very good in my opinion, and I won't mind waiting a bit for an update to that (my wife hates taking orders from a woman!). Pronunciation mistakes are few and far between, and light years ahead of where the XL was when new. Voice prompts, as on the XL, are excellent in my opinion, giving plenty of warning for the next turn and good instructions when making the turn.

7) Navigation is very fast. Calculating a 1,000 mile route took less than 10 seconds from start to finish. Also, when ignoring an instruction on a local route, the unit required under three seconds to realize I had not made the turn, and under two seconds to provide new instructions after that. I'll play with this more later to see if longer routes perform as well, but this has not generally been an issue on the XL either, at least not often enough that I have remembered it to be an issue, even if it is much slower to calculate routes to start with (about forty seconds for a one hundred mile route, actually; local routes all take ten seconds or less on the XL).

8) Voice commands have been generally excellent. The most impressive ones are navigating to an address. You must first press the voice icon, wait for the “ready” tone, and say “find an address” (or “drive to an address” or “navigate to an address”); then it accepts the whole address in one “sentence”, such as "twelve twenty-two south Figueroa street Los Angeles", without any pause between words. It is very good at this, but it's essential to speak normally! Attempting to speak slowly causes errors, actually, and you will get an error message even before you have finished speaking. If what was said is not completely obvious, you may be presented with a list of up to six alternatives, and then if one of those is correct, you will only have to say the number of the correct answer from the list. Otherwise, you can say anything like “change number”, “change street” or “change city”.

The main disappointment in this area is “Find the nearest XYZ”. I would rather be able to find somewhere in particular, not just the nearest, so adding a list of possible results here would be much more useful to me. For example, a list of the six closest XYZ stores found, and then I could choose from the list. TomTom might even just add the "list" command, to bring up a list, if the closest location found initially is not the one the user wishes to visit. Nonetheless, combined with the very easy to use screen, I expect voice commands to be useful in some situations.

9) Bluetooth has been very easy to use, on two phones tested (a Nokia and a Blackberry). Both phone books loaded effortlessly. Using the phone book by voice command, however, is not optimized in my opinion. You can use a voice command to call, or redial, but you cannot use a voice command to find all names beginning with “F”, for example, and have to scroll down, screen by screen, with your finger; or use the other manual means available to find a number (search, and then input one or two letters to see all matching responses). It would be nice if the “call” command brought up a list of all recently dialed numbers or something. Calls are easy to hear, but the volume is too low for the recipient on the other end. It's usable, and there is little to no road noise problem, but the volume is a bit on the soft side.

10) The mount is excellent. It's almost surprising, even. The wire connector just hangs in there loosely when the device is absent, as if it was about to fall out, but as soon as the device is put on the mount, the device clicks back magnetically into place almost effortlessly, and the cable connects magnetically to the device with no effort at all! It is very, very good in my opinion. Looking at this initially, I would not have expected it to work well at all, but it really does work. The device can easily be positioned or removed with one hand in one or two seconds, just don't drop that "hefty" PND on your toes!

11) There are some very nice features, like enabling the device to start up automatically with a list of up to eleven common locations. It takes just one click on the screen to automatically start navigating to any one of those locations after the device starts up. Very very handy for our kind of usage. It's like having one click access to all your most used favorites right from when you first start the device. There's no need to tap the map or navigate even the shortest of menus to get there. You don't even have to press "done" to get to the navigation screen: the route summary screen closes automatically when you drive the first ten or twenty feet.

Well. That's all for my first impressions. The next big test will be how quickly it picks up traffic information when downtown, so that it avoids taking the 110 Harbor freeway north within the first few minutes of travel (the way the XL does) only to discover one mile later that there's a lot of traffic and we're already stuck in it. By then it's too late to take the optimal route from the start, and it has to calculate the best route from where it already is, using the next available exit that allows for a good route to the chosen destination.

Edited by - Kex on 23 mai 2011 04:11:36
Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2011 :  01:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post Kex. I don't know if it's my imagination, but my 8535 M Live seems to feel a bit snappier since the App and Map updates. At this point, I'm finding menu navigation could be a bit faster - but it's really perfectly reasonable. As you noted, calculating a route is incredibly quick, recalculating if I miss or skip a turn happens very quickly.

I continue to be amazed that my arrival times seems to be accurate within 1 or 2 minutes with the ETA the 2535 comes up with when I first calculate the route. So far my trips using this haven't been beyond about 150 miles, but this has been true whether I travel at night, day or rush hour, on highways, near airports, or just on local roads. It's pretty uncanny.

I agree with your assessment re: the voice prompts. I'd like more than 1 choice for US English (for "computer voice", or text-to-speech with spoken street names), but the one we have now is a very pleasant woman's voice that sounds incredibly natural 99% of the time, with phrasing and prompts that are much more natural and conversational than the Garmin's I've used.

I love all the info on the nav screen: it's a really well designed and very functional display. I like seeing ETA, remaining distance, remaining time, traffic summary, my speed, posted speed and a mini junction view along with my current road and new road (after upcoming turn) all onscreen at once - and it's not cluttered at all.

Their use of the horizon is really nice - changes with your speed a bit and probably other factors I don't know about (maybe some random or timed behavior as well?) - during daylight hours, the sky is a nice blue gradient lighter down toward the horizon with puffy clouds showing occasionally, and at night the sky is black with twinkling stars -- this is independent of the day/night theme I've chosen.

Managing favorites is really nice, map corrections wonderful, navigation superb, IQ routes combined with practically realtime traffic seems to be a killer feature. All in all, despite knowing that there are a few features yet to be released, I can't imagine being happy to switch to a different device. Really liking this so far, and expect to like it more when all the features are functional.

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2011 :  03:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excellent post, kex and jonstrong. kex, please also let us know if the 2535 improves with regards to the above bullet points after you do the update as well. also, i have read a few reviews (i believe amazon) that mentioned the user will sometimes miss a turn if you are not watching the tomtom screen because lack of warning at the turn. on the magellen (navteq version is my current unit), it sounds off a ding-dong to warn you right before you need to make a turn. i like this feature. is this an issue?

Edited by - volant99 on 23 mai 2011 03:06:16
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2011 :  03:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Volant99, I read that comment on amazon.com as well (at least I think that's where it was), and I simply don't understand it, frankly. Any TomTom PND, to the best of my knowledge, gives a two mile ahead instruction, and then another instruction when at the turn. My Garmin gave me my first instruction less than a mile away from a turn, which is far from sufficient when there are five lanes or more of fast moving, busy traffic.

Also, TomToms frequently tell you what the next turn will be as well: "turn left, then, take the second right", for example. It would be a challenge to provide more warning without simply giving instructions all the time, which might have it's own issues.

Go to Top of Page

jonstrong

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2011 :  05:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to support Kex's comment here -- I was just out for a drive today, as usual using my 2535 M Live even though it was just a short trip to a neighborhood store -- I tend to use it more than necessary as it gives me a better sense of distance and ETA, I get more familiar with the device through extended use...and sometimes it's just low-level background geeky entertainment... Point being, however, that I noticed once again today just how good the voice prompts are on this device, and I recall pointing this out today to my teenage son while we were driving.

The type of prompts that I pointed out were on the order of, "in 150 feet turn right then take the second left", followed a few seconds later by, "turn right on Old Trenton Road then take the second left". My TomTom provides a series of increasingly detailed turn warning as I get closer to a turn, e.g., "right turn ahead" might come up a mile or two in advance, followed by the more detailed warnings.

I haven't clearly identified the pattern, but I've had the distinct impression that the distance at which warnings are issued is not solely based on absolute distance to the turn, but may also be determined by the speed I'm driving at and, subsequently, the time left before I get to the turn. Total guess on my part, and I haven't tested this out in any scientific fashion: just my impression.

I can say, however, that I get several warnings of upcoming turns, with plenty of advance warning to prepare for the turn. This reminds me, as a matter of fact, of another time when I pointed out the excellent voice prompts to my son. This is the situation when the TomTom will make a statement such as, "exit left, then stay in the right lane", shortly after which it will instruct me about an upcoming right turn.

It's been my distinct impression that the TomTom voice prompts have been extremely well designed, with a level of "user experience" design expertise I just haven't encountered with other devices. With more than 25 years in the software industry, I can really appreciate the effort and thoughtfulness that goes into such design considerations.

I am, like many others, looking forward to seeing TomTom finish the software support for the new devices and making all advertised features available. However even in the meantime, the 2535 M Live is generally a great device. If they keep polishing and completing it, it will be that much better.

- Jon

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2011 :  06:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thing I'd like to add ... junction view information (an actual simulated view of the next junction) was available on the XL 340 in the middle of nowhere way back in map version 845. Just about every turn on I-70 between Denver and Utah, in fact, including a place called ... wait for it ... No Name!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name,_Colorado

Here in Los Angeles, even with map 870 on both my XL 340 units, the junction view information is actually not as common (probably fewer than 50%) but lane assistance (a less obvious, graphic representation on the bottom of the screen, using arrows to depict which lanes go in the desired direction, and which lanes do not), are very common. Just about every junction, in fact. I don't always pay attention to that if the next turn is obvious from the voice instructions, but I'd estimate at least 90% of turns are represented with lane assistance on the freeways here. I'd also add that 90% of turns on approach to an on ramp are also shown in this way. Other turns, with at least three lanes, on major streets nowhere near a freeway, will also quite frequently have lane assistance information displayed. This is valuable information when not in a familiar area in my opinion.

Both of these features activate about half a mile from the turn when on the freeway. This may be different on surface streets, so I'll try and pay attention to that and report back. In any case, if the bottom display of route details might have been a bit confusing at first on the XL 340, it's much improved on the new GO models in my opinion, using three distinct areas to display valid information on the bottom of the screen (as Jon already described earlier). TomTom does not label information areas, so a new user has to become acquainted with what information is where initially, but it's hard to miss the very obvious turn prompts on the new GO. There's even an advantage to lane assistance only when compared to a virtual view of an upcoming junction: the lane assistance information is limited to just the bottom part of the screen for that half mile distance when approaching a turn, and the map of the route remains visible the whole time, whereas a full screen simulated junction view removes the map completely for that time. Usually that's not an issue, but sometimes it might be, to some extent at least, if the next turn is very soon after the junction and the virtual view of that junction is temporarily "obscuring" the upcoming map information.

Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2011 :  03:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kex, i agree with you regarding the garmin. the reason i switched from garmin (350/660) to magellan (navteq version) was because i kept missing turns with the garmin. the garmin weaknesses were:
-inadequate voice warning at the turn due to late notification.
-this was compounded by the fact that there was a delay between the visual graphic display on the map (with respect to your distance from the turn) and your actual location. thus it was difficult to judge where you were in relation to the upcoming turn. the combination of the two (late voice notification and graphic lag) would make me miss the turn
-is there a graphic lag on the tomtom?

-the other issue with the garmin was at branching points on the freeway (and small local road branches, for that matter) at complex branching intersections. the garmin graphic display was confusing because as you follow the very large purple line (representing your current route), the upcoming branch was not adequately represented. the large purple line of your current route was so large in comparison to the upcoming branch, which was graphically represented by a very small/thin tributary, that it was hard to tell that there was an actually upcoming branching intersection. the magellan displays branches nicely, as both the branch and your current route are represented by lines of equal thickness, so it was easy to tell that there is an actual branch.
-is this a problem with tomtom?
-i assume the junction view solves this problem for large freeways, but what about for the small local road branches or freeway branches that don't yet have junction view?

Edited by - volant99 on 24 mai 2011 03:22:40
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2011 :  03:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Volant99, I can't say that I have ever noticed a problem with graphic lag on my TomTom or Garmin. It's worth mentioning, however, that on my Garmin and TomTom, I have always used 2D view, never 3D view. It's a personal preference, but it might influence how I perceive things compared to someone using 3D view. The StreetPilot has never bothered me in that respect, except when I'm somewhere I don't know very well, and discover I have to get over several lanes of traffic to make the next turn, with just over half a mile to go. Sometimes, it requires being slightly rude and forceful, as well as hoping other drivers are paying attention to my turn signal (none of which would be of any help if an accident actually did occur "Officer, I had my turn signal on and wanted to reach that exit, but he/she/it wouldn't let me in!").

This is especially a problem when there is a backup line of traffic for the exit I intend to take. These can easily be more than half a mile in some areas at the "wrong" time of day. In that case, you have to hope some friendly driver will let you in without thinking you merged late intentionally to escape all the backed up traffic. A two mile warning is certainly much better.

Regarding junction views and lane assistance (or Advanced Lane Guidance with photorealistic images, I think TomTom call it) here's an excerpt from a review here which included the Garmin 1490 and TomTom XXL 540 (the first image is Garmin junction view). In this example, the TomTom's intended route was to stay on the right three lanes on I-5:

quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

... Here is an example of the TomTom’s JV screen:

We also found the Junction View screens on the 540 more useful. On the 1490 there is a single stationary arrow that indicates the lane you need to move to or stay on. On the TomTom the screen is animated with multiple arrows displaying on the lanes you need to use. These arrows flash so it obvious what move you need to make.

This feature is much better on the new GO than on the XXL pictured above (the XL uses an identical layout for this), in my opinion, but as you read earlier, I'm more in favor of lane guidance arrows than junction images. That's another personal preference, and opinions may differ. Note however than both guidance features appear together on the TomTom. If Garmin added the lane assistance arrows below their images in the same way, it might help to avoid any ambiguity in some cases. I don't remember if this is the case yet on the newer models available from Garmin today.

Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2011 :  05:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kex or jonstrong (or anyone else), thanks for the helpful pics of the junction view. but what i'm more interested in is the branching intersections where no junction view is available on the tomtom. how is the graphic display of the branching intersection when NO junction view is available?
-also, if you find junction view to be more of a hinderance in situations when there are back-to-back turns, is there an option to turn OFF junction view?

Edited by - volant99 on 24 mai 2011 05:39:59
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2011 :  06:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any intersection where a view of the junction is not available in the current map version may have lane guidance exactly as shown under the photorealistic graphic depiction of the junction above. It is no different in either size, location on the screen, or the amount of information actually shown. However, on the new GO models, these arrows that indicate the direction of the various lanes available are large and bold, and far more obvious. Maybe Jon can add his opinion about this feature at some point (or anyone else that is familiar with these models).

Lane information is available on any of my TomToms on quite a few intersections that are not on freeways, but I haven't really noticed a pattern, other than the fact that just and about 90% (probably closer to 100%, but I'm being conservative) of all approaches to a freeway or major highway, and all exit ramps as well, have lane guidance. I don't mean the photorealistic view of the exit itself, I mean the actual lanes and the different directions they serve that will be encountered at the end of the exit ramp.

This may vary in frequency from one region to another, so I'm speaking mainly about Los Angeles.

As for the option to turn off photorealistic junction views, I'm not sure if it can be turned off without also turning off the arrow depiction of lane guidance. The option available in the advanced preferences on the XL is "Turn off lane images", which suggests to me that lane images can be turned off, without turning off all lane guidance (the arrow depiction). I'd have to check this later in demo mode to be sure, though, if I get a chance.

In any case, you may have a different preference from me, and it doesn't annoy me in any way, so I haven't even bothered to try turning anything like that off at this point, even after almost 18 months of usage.

Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2011 :  07:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's good to know kex, that junction view is available for 90% of la highway intersections. it seems like tomtom is listening to customer feedback and making great efforts to make this the premier gps unit. with regards to complaints about the glossy screen becoming difficult to read in sunlight, can this issue be alleviated with an anti-glare matte screen protector? how bad is glare from the glossy screen?
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2011 :  18:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few points to mention:

1) Regarding glare: this is more reflection on the glass screen than glare, just to be clear about this. It has not been a problem so far, but if it becomes one, I'll think about a matte film to see if it helps any. It's odd, though, in my experience with the XL 340 (which does not have either a glass screen or a great screen): days will go by with never a problem, and then there'll be this one day where the light seems to hit it wrong on every other turn. We'll see how the GO 2535 handles these mysterious lighting trends!

2) It seems that the latest update has allowed for new voices and other features, at least on the European models:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/Whoooop-You-Can-Now-Add-Voices-Colour-Schemes-Etc/td-p/32321

3) I decided to do a comparison with the XL for calculation and recalculation times. That same 1,000 mile route that the GO 2535 will calculate in ten seconds, will take about two minutes on the XL. Not so great, but I guess that doesn't happen that often for most people, and local trip calculations are ten seconds or less on the XL.

The interesting thing is when I miss a turn, on either a local trip OR that 1,000 mile trip, it takes an XL unit about 8 seconds to react, and then another 6 seconds to recalculate. So the GO 2535 is very much faster with a total of five seconds or less. I still haven't been able to check if this result is the same on the 1,000 mile trip on the GO, but since the XL shows no different behavior for missed turns on long routes or short routes, I'm hoping the GO won't either. That total fifteen second recalculation on the XL could be a potential problem for city street navigation, obviously. Frequently, you may have passed the next best available option when traveling at normal street speeds.

I must not have made enough errors in navigation to notice this before doing this little comparison "test".

Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2011 :  20:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kex

I must not have made enough errors in navigation to notice this before doing this little comparison "test".

that's a good sign...no pun intended

Edited by - volant99 on 24 mai 2011 20:28:28
Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2011 :  02:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kex

Regarding junction views and lane assistance (or Advanced Lane Guidance with photorealistic images, I think TomTom call it) here's an excerpt from a review here which included the Garmin 1490 and TomTom XXL 540 (the first image is Garmin junction view). In this example, the TomTom's intended route was to stay on the right three lanes on I-5:

quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

... Here is an example of the TomTom’s JV screen:

We also found the Junction View screens on the 540 more useful. On the 1490 there is a single stationary arrow that indicates the lane you need to move to or stay on. On the TomTom the screen is animated with multiple arrows displaying on the lanes you need to use. These arrows flash so it obvious what move you need to make.

Garmin has now changed it's junction views with the last map update if you actually get one to pop up.

One thing I would have liked to have seen on the 2535 is having the voice command like Garmin where you can just say "voice command" instead of touching the screen to activate it.

Edited by - caryrae on 25 mai 2011 02:40:05
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2011 :  03:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the updated JV information, caryrae. I'll see if I can post the newer version of TomTom photorealistic Advanced Lane Guidance as well at some point.

I've read the comment about "voice command" before, on an amazon review, I think. It sounded sensible at the time, but now I'm not so sure. The screen is so easy to just tap that I think I might actually prefer the tap to activate voice commands, rather than having to say "voice command" to do so. Either would be fine though, I just think it's more of a minor point than I might originally have imagined it to be.

On the other hand, the TomTom method of "whole sentence" address input (if it works for you) seems far less cumbersome than the Garmin method of indicating the town, street, and street number in separate steps. TomTom does not require you to announce the state either (depending on your preferences, that is). I don't know if Garmin forces you to indicate the state for each address search, which would add yet another step. If I get the opportunity, I might try to compare them side by side, now that I am somewhat familiar with both.

In any case, it is still my opinion that most of these features are implemented differently by either manufacturer, and both have their strengths, but as always, the main argument in favor of TomTom is IQ Routes, first and foremost, and now HD Traffic as well. If neither of those are of use to a prospective buyer, I wouldn't consider anything else a worthy reason for changing from Garmin to TomTom.

Edited by - Kex on 25 mai 2011 04:00:22
Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2011 :  05:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tomtom just announced the 800 go live series for europe. it's cheaper than the 1000 go live series (which is comparable to the u.s. 2535 live). despite being cheaper than the 1000 go live, the 800 includes an SD card slot, which the 1000 does not have. so it seems like the 800 is cheaper and has an additional sd card slot. why would anyone want to buy the less-equipped 1000, which is higher in price? anyone know of any other differences between the 800 vs. 1000?

http://www.slashgear.com/tomtom-go-live-820-and-825-pnds-find-their-way-to-europe-25154204/

http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=580302

Edited by - volant99 on 29 mai 2011 05:06:30
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2011 :  06:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if that will ever make it over here for release. It may simply have been a way to enable better use of different map zones in Europe. Currently users have to remove one zone to use another, which can be very inconvenient, obviously. The North America maps can hold entirely on a device, so there's no need for that.

Also, the integrated mount is going to be a step down from the surprisingly ingenious magnetic mount on the GO 2535 model in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2011 :  08:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did take the 2535 live for a test drive today. and while i think there are many useful and innovative features, such as iq routes and hd traffic, there are some major dealbreakers in the user interface that make it simply unuseable to me. the most glaring flaw is in the POI search function: none of the POI's list the actual address. although it displays a map showing the location of the poi, it does not list the actual address. let me point out how this can be especially troublesome: in southern california, there are many kaiser hospitals. and if i were in an emergency, i would search under poi/hospital and a multitude of kaiser hospitals will be listed. however tomtom will not list an address but will instead display a location on the map. and you must click through each kaiser entry to look at the map. now that is especially confusing, as tomtom expects me to guess the correct hospital based on looking at a map rather than simply listing an address. and i would have to do a time consuming search through each kaiser on the list and then look at a map to "guess" if i pick the correct kaiser based on deciphering its location on the map. now, assuming i do not know the area well, i would be guessing that i chose the correct kaiser hospital on the map. and if i were in an emergency situation and i were trying to match the hospital up with an address from the phonebook, you can guess how this would be especially maddening. now, you could say that i have google search function to fall back on, but what's even more aggravating is that the google search does not list the address in the search heading, so you must click through each entry to see if you have the correct address...and in los angeles, there must be at least 20 entries for kaiser to click through. so, in this scenario, if you want to convey the address of the kaiser hospital to a family member with whom may want to meet at the hospital, you cannot, as tomtom does not list the address. it boggles my mind that, as innovative as tomtom is, that they can overlook such a basic need as to list the street address in the poi! to me, this is incredibly exasperating. needless to say, i will be returning this tomtom back to the store and returning to my magellan/navteq unit.

and another user on a different forum points out another frustration:
"Secondly, this is a Tomtom pet peeve that I really wish they would fix. When you store a favorite, it does not store the street number. You save for example 100 Main Street, it saves Main Street. It doesn't hurt the favorite but if I don't remember a street address and can't recall it myself, I can't give the address to someone else if need be. It has been this way since my very first Tomtom and I have complained about it with each new model I buy but that seems to be a fix they just don't want to do."

what is with tomtom's decision not to display addresses correctly in either the poi or favorite??? why list a "partial" address without a street number? why list no address at all??? frustrating, to say the least.

Edited by - volant99 on 29 mai 2011 08:33:35
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2011 :  17:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the first point your making, although it doesn't matter to me. The second point, I don't know how that person stores their favorites or POI's, but I've never encountered that problem.

As you know by now, my main priority is traffic, since that's what my GPS is used for daily. IQ Routes and HD Traffic work, as you pointed out, so that matches my priorities ... and it's the single best reason to buy a TomTom instead of another brand in my opinion. Everything else boils down to opinions and preferences, which are minor for me, but some of those will also be in favor of a TomTom unit. It's why I was prepared to live with the average screen quality of the XL 340S LIVE to begin with, and that was when only IQ Routes was working properly, since traffic wasn't "HD" yet, and it wasn't all that brilliant either (TrafficCast in the first half of 2010).

Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2011 :  02:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree kex, the hd traffic and iq routes work well...extremely well in fact. but to me, the lack of address data in the poi is a fatal flaw to an otherwise fantastic gps. tomtom really hit a home run with the iq route/hd traffic concept but they seriously dropped the ball with a major blunder on a very basic issue...the need for addresses. if they fix this issue, then i will be back, otherwise i'm returning to the magellan/navteq camp for now...and i'm really hoping they will fix it, as i, like you, really need a traffic navigator in LA. tomtom seems like they are striving for perfection and seriously listen to customer feedback, so hopefully they will fix it.

Edited by - volant99 on 30 mai 2011 02:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2011 :  03:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Showing Adresses for Destinations:

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you volant99. I confess that I haven't yet needed an address, but it does seem silly that it wouldn't be there if needed, since it IS there on the budget XL340S LIVE. The GO 2535 is clearly a superior product in many ways in my opinion, but the good ol' XL can still manage to do things the new GO cannot!

EDIT 1: Actually apparently this is map version related, since after checking, the XL 340 no longer displays full addresses either. I think I read elsewhere that this was phased out with map version v860, possibly to save memory or something.

Searching for a Starbucks on the included POI database will show a location on the map, so a cross street would be the best available information if wanting to meet someone there. Oddly perhaps, the Show info button shows a URL (which is useless) and the phone number (which is not). The new GO 2535 displays the same information.

How much "space" or memory would a street number, street name and city location take up anyway?

Otherwise, if one adds the Starbucks POI database to an XL 340 using TomTom Home, then all the Starbucks listed have their full address, but NO phone number ... dang!

Underground Structures:

One thing I have noticed that is an improvement on the XL is that the GO 2535 seems to have a GPS signal just about anywhere in my home. I don't think it has ever lost it. Why is this useful? Well, remember those underground parking garage locations (like under the Whole Foods Market in Pasadena, for me)? Those are no longer an issue. This is especially true since, if the GPS signal IS lost, the GO 2535 just asks if you want it to assume that it's still in the same location as when last turned off.

EDIT 2: The way this works, after checking it recently, is that when you first turn on the GO 2535 in an underground parking garage (for example) and select a destination for navigation, a screen pops up displaying:
Waiting for a valid GPS signal

Last known location:
(Street name, City or town location, STATE)
At that point, there are two buttons on the bottom left of the screen:

"Cancel", which simply cancels navigation.
"Use last known location", which immediately plans the route using the last known location shown on the screen.

Edited by - Kex on 07 juin 2011 02:41:57
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07 juin 2011 :  02:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updating GO 2535

Well, I just updated my GO 2535M LIVE for the first time using MyTomTom.

I created a new account with a new e-mail, since I still have the old XL 340S LIVE registered to another address (and may even keep it anyway). MyTomTom downloaded in seconds and installed effortlessly, so I logged in and checked for updates. Two were available: the application on the device, and maps.

I wanted to uncheck maps to get those later, since it was such a large download, but I was having some issue with IE9 that would not allow me to uncheck the box next to that item. I'm not all that familiar with Windows or IE anymore, since I don't normally use them, so I downloaded and installed Chrome instead (I normally use Chromium or Firefox). This time it worked easily, and I was able to:

- Download the application in less than two minutes,
- Install it completely in less than three more.

Later, I installed the maps alone so that I now use v870.

- The download lasted about 75 minutes,
- Installation lasted about the same.

This compares to the XL which requires 40 minutes to download and 45 minutes to install, but it has only 2 GB of memory compared to 4 GB for the new GO.

Everything worked smoothly, and so far there have been no problems with this process. The device operated with very few, if any problems in out-of-the-box state, before updating.

Go to Top of Page

raheitmann

1 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2011 :  09:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a new GO 2535 TM WTE from the TT web site: I DON"T RECOMMEND ANYONE PURCHASE THIS:

- using it in Paris
- when it is working, it isn't very smart about delays and alternate routes, which are a regular occurrence around Paris
- on the 4th day, it booted and asked me to connect to a PC, when I did, the Web site encouraged me to install the MyTomTom software on my Mac which I did
- It then sync'd with the device, and erased all content including maps
- the software now says "Device is up-to-date", and the device boots saying No Maps Found!
- technical support was less than helpful, including both level 1 and level 2
- I am going to send this brick back to TomTom for full refund.

If anyone has a recommendation for a GPS that works and supports N.A. and Europe, I would be interested.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2011 :  12:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if this can be used with the 2535M-Live's active mount?

http://www.bracketron.com/tomtom-amps-plate
Go to Top of Page

Sellador

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2011 :  23:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last Tuesday (Aug 9), TomTom released an update to its Navigator software and MyTomTom that finally supports many of the features we had gotten used to with TomTom Home. The following is a list from TomTom of the new features. The full post and thread are at (see post below for correct link). I have to say that I really like the Go 2535M Live. I had a Go Live 740 before this and the new product is much nicer, with many of the quirky interface issues solved. The new 5" capacitive touch screen is brilliant! Now that you can customize it with 90% of the things you could the Go Live 740, I've quite happy. Here are the new features.

· Speed cameras
For the first time, LIVE devices will now also (next to the mobile speed camera locations) receive fixed speed camera location updates over the air, sent directly to the device.

· Add personal content
Devices will have the ability to install new splash screens, community voices, car icons, warning sounds and community color schemes (this is already possible for devices in Europe which have the latest device software 10.200 installed).

· Multiple destinations along your route
The update will provide you with the ability to plan a route, adding up to four destinations (waypoints) along your route, using the ‘Travel via’ feature in the device menu.

· Device location search enhancements
TomTom Places will be added (in Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Denmark and Germany) to enhance the search possibilities on the device, complementing Google Local Search.

Other improvements
· Device stability has been improved, which will help eliminate reboots that some customers have been reporting.

Edited by - Sellador on 15 août 2011 04:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 août 2011 :  00:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what happened with your link, Sellador, but it wouldn't work for me. Here is a direct link to the "official" post, so let's see if that works!

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/MyTomTom-update/m-p/67875#M12223

Otherwise, I continue to be extremely happy with my GO 2535M LIVE. It is very reliable and far more stable than the XL 340S LIVE when it was new. The new features that are coming are not a huge priority for me, as they are for some. Power users especially, perhaps. The existing features are either very good, or excellent, for the regular user, including:

- Magnetic mount (5/5)
- Speaker (5/5)
- Screen (4/5)
- Voice Command recognition(4/5)
- Voice Command features (3/5)
- Bluetooth (5/5)
- HD Traffic & IQ Routes (5/5)
- Menu navigation (4/5)
- Samantha TTS (5/5)
- Google Local Search (4/5)

The screen is very good, but does sometimes suffer from too glossy a surface. This can be managed mostly by making sure you can see your own eyes reflected in the screen before switching on. In this way, the worst reflections are avoided, since light shining in from one side will get reflected out the other side, not in your face. The color scheme of the status bar display and instructions minimizes the negative effects, since that can mostly be read in all light conditions.

Voice command recognition gets a lower mark because, while it is excellent at understanding commands 80-90% of the time, I think it needs to be closer to 90-95% of the time to avoid frustration, albeit occasional frustration. Voice command features get the lowest mark since some functions are cumbersome, such as navigating phone entries (too many "next" commands to reach later entries). Finding the nearest whatever is annoying sometimes too, since there is no way to know what brand names are known. For example, if you ask to "Drive to Whole Food", you get offered some obscure city nearby, and it's only after a half dozen tries that you concede that Whole Foods, or Whole Foods Market must not be in the database. There is also the problem with not getting a choice of at least one screen's worth of the nearest whatever, as mentioned in my first mini-review on P.3. of this thread. Don't interpret the lower mark as meaning it is bad, however. It is useful, indeed, it's just more limited and less intuitive than would be ideal, in my opinion.

Bluetooth is very goodfrequently. The speaker contributes to excellent sound, and the microphone seems to pick up everything, but filters out background noise so that it's mostly not obvious on the other end that the caller is in a vehicle.

HD Traffic and IQ Routes combine to provide excellent results, as stated before. Failures are currently fewer than once a month, in daily L.A. Traffic. This has been demonstrated even when driving through rush hour traffic to catch a flight: if the GO 2535M LIVE says you will drive directly through morning downtown traffic, to get to LAX parking at 08.30, then get to LAX parking at 08.30 you will. It takes a whole lot of the stress related to uncertainty about traffic conditions away. If driving in slow and heavy traffic one needs only to glance at the expected arrival time to realize that the estimate is still 90% accurate or better. The more I use it, the less I worry.

Menu navigation is vastly improved. You can go forward and back a lot more than before, and some options have been tidied up to make them more user friendly. There are a still a few quirks, but they are minor in my opinion, so this is really a 4.5, and closer to 5 than 4 in reality.

Google Local Search works well, but is a bit slower that I would like it to be. It would also be better to integrate Google results with the POI database, and have an easier way to correct the POI database with Google results at the same time. It's still a great feature to have.

With current pricing at $280, including a $60 annual subscription to LIVE Services, I'd say it's worth every penny, and then some.

Go to Top of Page

Sellador

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 15 août 2011 :  04:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link fix, Kex. I'm not sure what happened to mine. Also, that was a great run-down on the 2535. At each point you made, I found myself agreeing and thinking I should have said that. I know some folks have been frustrated by the wait for MyTomTom to start getting the features that were promised, but at this point, I think they've put together a really nice product... best in class, IMO. While I know the top-end Garmin is iPhone-like sleek, and I would love to have the 3D terrain feature it has, I still think this product is the best overall AIO in the US market right now.
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 août 2011 :  06:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, Sellador, the GO 2535 doesn't have the bling appeal of the gorgeous nüvi 3790, and I wish it was bit slimmer as well as a bit lighter (as I mentioned earlier in the thread), but frankly, at $400 (currently, from amazon), the 3790, equipped with RDS-TMC traffic (including pop-up adds) would be completely useless to me 90% of the time. I'd love to use it on cross country trips, but for daily traffic, with no working IQ Routes equivalent, my XL 340TM would actually be far superior. Any Garmin, even a connected device like the nüLink! 1695, would actually "cost" me 20-40 minutes almost each and every single day, simply because it can't reroute me around traffic effectively, even when the traffic information is correct.

I'm not going to pay for that kind of daily mental torture, now that I know that it's perfectly possible to avoid it with such a high rate of certainty. Road trip tourists can amuse themselves with the bling and the 3D terrain maps. To each his own priorities.

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2011 :  17:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the launch of the new GO LIVE 1535M in North America, the GO 2535M LIVE seems to have benefited from a minor name change, to GO LIVE 2535M!

Go to Top of Page

rugbyfan

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2011 :  13:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read with great thanks to all the posts on the TT 2535, I tried the new series Garmins, one with the 3D HD receiver (GTM60) it was a complete disaster, then my final unit the Garmin 2555LMT (voice rec) was bad with my English accent and I have 'Ford SYNC' so no need for the bluetooth bit, anyway the last device though great in its screen colours, sharp and readable in sunlight, all the new goodies, traffic was terrible, the regular receiver that came with the 2x55 GTM26 was again a nightmare on receiving good data on a nine hundred mile trip on Interstate 75 - The previous long trip was back and forth to Wyoming from the NW Georgia mountains, all I can say about that trip was 'where is my old TT 2535M friend' yes I gave it up for the new Garmins, very stupid move, but again thanks to all your posts, its back the TT.
Happy Thanksgiving to all. !!!!

rugbyfan

Edited by - rugbyfan on 20 nov. 2011 13:54:41
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2011 :  17:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rugbyfan, as a fellow horse trailer traveler, I know your pain. I hesitated to suggest the GO LIVE 2535M to you earlier (when you posted in the Garmin nüvi thread) because I wasn't sure of your exact priorities (POI searching, route planning, ease of use, ETA accuracy, traffic ...).

The TomTom LIVE units are the best solution that we can depend on with our horse trailer for taking detours to avoid traffic. Any detours we ever attempted with our Garmin were always worse than staying on the freeway. We have an old truck (1994 K1500 Silverado, with 198K miles) and a heavy steel horse trailer, so we can't be messing about on detours that turn out to be a disaster with feisty young three day eventers in the back.

The TomTom is not ideal, however, since our old truck cannot keep up with the estimated travel times which are so incredibly accurate when driving our cars.
  • Firstly, the actual limit for trucks with trailers is 55 mph in general, so driving at 65 mph or faster can get us into trouble with the highway patrol, whereas in a car, it's acceptable to drive at 70 mph when the limit for most vehicles is 65 mph.

• Secondly, our truck can only manage to maintain 45-50 mph on steep freeway inclines, instead of 70 mph (what else could you expect, with a three speed gearbox?!).

• Thirdly, the same problem arises on steep grades on two lane roads, either up or downhill: we just cannot drive nearly as fast as a normal car.

For that reason alone, I might have suggested trying the Garmin dezl range instead, especially if you have a big trailer and bigger truck than ours, with a newer five or six speed transmission. Since traffic avoidance seems to be a concern, however, that's a non-starter for all the reasons you already know about, and personally, I highly doubt the new Garmin "3D" service delivered through HD radio is going to change that part of the equation much in the foreseeable future (it's not a connected device, and updates every thirty seconds are useless if you can't get accurate suggestions for avoidance alternatives).

Anyway, thanks for posting your update!

Edited by - Kex on 20 nov. 2011 17:58:45
Go to Top of Page

rugbyfan

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2011 :  02:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mongo, Just an update on the TomTom 2535 Live, much better traffic from Atlanta Airport up to the North Georgia Mountains, Friday night around Atlanta was bad, but got out of some serious traffic on streets I had never heard of, but really miss the screen and the new goodies on board.
Good luck on your travels - R

rugbyfan
Go to Top of Page

Mongo

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2011 :  21:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tx, R. Will say 1 thing I miss about TT is it's compact mount system. Garmin's much too bulky. Also like TT's "home" software; Garmin's updater doesn't get the job done very well.

Glad TT's traffic is better for you - does your TT have Voice Command?

M

quote:
Originally posted by rugbyfan

Mongo, Just an update on the TomTom 2535 Live, much better traffic from Atlanta Airport up to the North Georgia Mountains, Friday night around Atlanta was bad, but got out of some serious traffic on streets I had never heard of, but really miss the screen and the new goodies on board.
Good luck on your travels - R

Mongo
Go to Top of Page

rugbyfan

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2011 :  01:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and its excellent, took the TT for a trip into TN, not knowing where the heck I was the ETA was spot on, I really do like this unit, but again miss the goodies on yours, one very bad item that TT should fix is the awful reflective glass its almost a mirror at times where yours is a great non reflective screen! But all in all it works the way I need it to - How's the traffic on the G?

rugbyfan
Go to Top of Page

Mongo

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2011 :  23:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traffic shows up on the G 2595LMT pretty well in St. Louis, but haven't been stuck yet to try the Detour function. Seems way more difficult to program in a detour than the TomTom XL340 I had. Might buy a XL again just to have as a "comfortable" spare. Something the G unit doesn't seem to have is hi-res and show street names except for what you're on. Have read the high-end 3000 series G's have the same reflective glass issue, but sure look nice (couldn't justify $300+ though). May look again at TT next time if I can get by not being able to simply touch & move the map (deal-breaker this time).

M

quote:
Originally posted by rugbyfan

Yes and its excellent, took the TT for a trip into TN, not knowing where the heck I was the ETA was spot on, I really do like this unit, but again miss the goodies on yours, one very bad item that TT should fix is the awful reflective glass its almost a mirror at times where yours is a great non reflective screen! But all in all it works the way I need it to - How's the traffic on the G?

Mongo
Go to Top of Page

Alexo

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2011 :  22:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the LIVE models available in Canada (using a Canadian provider SIM) and, if so, do they also work cross-border without roaming and/or long distance charges?

Thanks..
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2011 :  01:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LIVE models have recently been introduced in Canada, with the GO LIVE 1535M. Personally, I would much prefer the GO LIVE 2535M, mostly because of:
  • Fantastic magnetic mount,
  • The touch screen sensitivity,
  • Screen clarity and contrast,
  • Much better speaker and sound quality,
  • LIVE signal seems faster and more reliable in general,
  • Device seems faster and more responsive,
  • I'll say it again: fantastic magnetic mount!

On the other hand, the GO LIVE 1535M has a micro SD slot, which TomTom will probably enable eventually (right now, it doesn't work). It also suffers less from reflections, but I have found that reflections on the GO LIVE 2535M are much less of a problem in cars with a dark interior decor, and if you position the device so that you can see your own reflection in the screen when in your normal driving stance before starting it up.

To the best of my knowledge, you will not be able to use these across border, since the signal carriers are different with different SIM cards. This seems unlikely to happen soon, if ever. The service just doesn't cost enough at $60 per year to cover the cost of roaming.

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2012 :  04:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping TT announces a new connected unit at the CES or soon after at another show.
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2012 :  18:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read recent comments from TomTom somewhere (over the holidays) that TomTom will be releasing new products more frequently than in the past. Given their current aggressive pricing, including lifetime maps and one year of LIVE Services or lifetime traffic (with an RDS-TMC receiver), I'm guessing that TomTom are heading more and more for a HP type business model:
  • The printer is cheap.
  • The printer cartridges are not.
  • New TomToms are increasingly almost "free", when you consider the included services provided.
  • LIVE Services need to be renewed after one year.
  • More and more families may want more than just one LIVE device, when they realize how convenient they can be to use all the time (not just occasionally), even when you "know" where you are going, and especially with the magnetic mount.
  • People need travel maps.

Navigation devices are increasingly becoming a commodity, like cell phones, that everyone wants to change after two or three years.

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2012 :  02:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are going to have move to a 3G connection or go back to bluetooth pairing like they had and where Garmin is headed now because GPRS and Edge are being phased out. There are already parts of AT&T where there is no more GPRS.
Go to Top of Page

Alexo

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2012 :  01:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kex

On the other hand, the GO LIVE 1535M has a micro SD slot, which TomTom will probably enable eventually (right now, it doesn't work).

The latest firmware enabled it.
That said, I heard talk that, due to patent issues, it does not use the FAT32 format and has to be formatted by the device for its exclusive use.
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2012 :  00:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, whether this has to do with the infamous patent issues with Microsoft or not, I don't really know for certain, but I can confirm that the device will immediately and automatically format the SD card before use.

You can see three or four files on the card afterwards, using your file browser (at least in Linux, which I use) but they don't make much sense, so it's not like the older devices using TomTom Home. With those you can actually make modifications to the device itself by manipulating a whole bunch of files and folders appropriately. Not so with these newer devices, using the MyTomTom interface.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3,58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05