Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2266

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Lowrance GPS Systems
 WAAS update info?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skypuppy

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 11 févr. 2011 :  15:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that neither my 500c or 600c can get a WAAS lock now. I understand the Air Force has changed the WAAS sats. How can I update my gps's so they can both get the new WAAS sats, please?

Thanks,
David

We humans need a manned flight to Mars!

Ads

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 11 févr. 2011 :  16:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When WAAS satellites are moved around in their geosynchronous orbits they sometimes drop below the practical treeless horizon and you lose them till another is moved into place. When WAAS was first set up there was one that covered the east coast of the US pretty well but it was moved out over the Atlantic somewhere and is almost never available for ground-users anymore. It's not intended for ground-based users anyway. An aircraft using WAAS can see the satellite almost all the way to the horizon where ground-based mobile users typically need it to be 20-30 degrees above the horizon for reliable capture.

BTW, you cannot update the GPS software/firmware unless the manufacturer makes an update available for download. Since the entire automotive GPS division of Lowrance is defunct, you probably will not get any future updates at all, unfortunately.

WAAS is highly overrated in an automotive GPS. The GPS has "stick to roads" permanently enabled and cannot benefit from WAAS to improve accuracy. Even with WAAS, the validity of its correction decreases as you get further away from the ground-station on which it's based. It's intended for higher precision aircraft navigation near airports when aircraft GPS systems need it for accurate altitude and glide-slope location till in range of the actual airport navaids. We just happen to be able to utilize its corrections when available for slightly improved accuracy we can't use anyway. CEP for most modern GPS devices is down to 10 meters 95% of the time anyway. How much more accuracy do you need?

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05