Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2318

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GPS Programming
 Programming Hints and Tips
 Programming Garmin X18
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

MNWitten

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2010 :  01:01:25  Show Profile  Visit MNWitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm just about to begin a coding project. My question is about the Garim X18, USB, GPS device. I plan to use Visual Basic (or VB.NET) and, simply, want to drop into a loop or timer, requesting a NMEA statement. I expect to be able to get this statement...read the LAT and LONG...and then I'm fine. I even have code to extract the data I need from the NMEA text. My questions are these...

1. Can I use the USB version or do I need a serial version...and therefore...a laptop with a serial port? I'd prefer USB but have never coded for this.

2. Is my example of HOW I plan to do this doable? Can I just keep requesting NMEA data from the X18 or is it more involved.

In short...all I need is a constant feed of LAT and LONG.

Thanks,
Mark

Ads

Alejandro

Argentina
1 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2012 :  17:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, you need the Franson GpsGate Software, this soft convert the Garmin data to NMEA using a virtual serial port. Every second the GARMIN GPS send Lat, Long, UTC, etc. in a text string format, it's very simple to use with VB6 or later.
Alejandro.
Go to Top of Page

kpk

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2013 :  00:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've successfully programmed the Garmin Nuvi 1450 via USB with VB.NET. This unit only sends the PVT data in the Garmin protocol. I'm not familiar with the protocols avialable for the X18 but I'm sure it is similar to the nuvi. If you are still looking for tips let me know.
Go to Top of Page

brunobl

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2013 :  15:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MNWitten,

You can just plug the 18X into your notebook via a serial-to-USB cable. The Notebook will see this as a virtual com port (COM2, COM3, etc) and treat it in your code just as if it were a serial port, so you won't have to fiddle with USB programming.

Then, it will just be a matter of polling the character stream coming in from that port, and parsing the NMEA sentences (look for specific NMEA headers, count the number of commas to determine LAT & LONG positions in the stream, extract values).

--------
Regards,
Bruno
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05