Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2173

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

prdelko

2 Posts

Posted - 30 déc. 2010 :  16:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am new to the GPS world and just received a nuvi 3790LMT. During the Mapsource update the unit seemed to power off, and did not power back on. I did so manually after waiting 30 minutes. Now I get the Garmin logo, the mode/copyright info, then Loading maps. and it powers down. If connected to the USB, it repeats the process. I can't see it through MyGarmin or any other method. Tried the "press lower right corner" for a hard reset, but nothing happens (device shows "Loading maps" and then shuts down.

I got somewhere pressing upper left corner - displays "System" in the top center of screen. It then says :Loading System" but eventually disappears and "Loading maps" shows in bottom center then the unit powers off. I get ability for PC to recognise through USB, but only until the "Loading maps" appears.

Any ideas if I can recover this, or does it have to go back to service? I would like to get boot code on the micro SD card, and see if it can Load from that with the upper left corner press, but have not been successful yet.

Thanks for this if anyone has ideas.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 31 déc. 2010 :  02:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to our forum and sorry to hear about your trouble updating your maps.

The best thing you can do at this point is to contact Garmin Support at 1-800-800-1020. They have the knowledge and tools to solve the issue. Basically it appears that the map update was interrupted before it finished.

You will need to contact support tomorrow or be without your unit until Monday as the support folks don't work weekends.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

prdelko

2 Posts

Posted - 31 déc. 2010 :  09:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, thank you for the reply. I chased the UK Garmin support team since I am in Europe. They were less than helpful and said to send it in for repair at a suggested price of over $150 + shipping.

Digging around internet, I found a blog suggesting that my Mac and MapSource caused the problem by corrupting a file. I just can't figure out why the hard reset does not work. And there is nothing documented about the top left corner alternate boot. UK service will not comment on the top left option.

I guess my only alternative is to return the device to the shop where I bought it and let them ship it off for repair. Unfortunately in Czech Republic that means about a month, which is why I am anxious to perform self-help. :-)

Does anyone know what pressing the top left corner of the nuvi 37xx does? Where does it look for the Loading data? And what data it is looking for. I will try to put a valid map file on my SD card and see if it works, but I also read yesterday that not all cards work, so I am driving blind at this point.

This forum is fantastic, and I have enjoyed reading about what is possible with a WORKING nuvi. I am anxious to get one :-)
Go to Top of Page

SiamMarine

Thailand
372 Posts

Posted - 31 déc. 2010 :  10:11:03  Show Profile  Visit SiamMarine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi prdelko.,
You problem come from a wrong map cause by corrupting a map file.
Nuvi will load map before go to menu page.
It means your nuvi will never pass through this wrong map.
To get hard reset will not delete a wrong map inside., that's reason why it will not help.

If you can access mass storage mode to delete a wrong map inside --> nuvi will boot normally again.

If you really don't want to send it to Garmin., so cure rgn is the answer for you.

You can create a cure rgn and then flash to your nuvi let you have a chance to delete a wrong file and flash again with original firmware for complete function as usual.

Here is how to create a cure rgn --> http://www.smart-mobile.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=205112

Maybe you need google translate to help you (from Thai language.)

Continue :: the script you will need is

REM .img --> .mig
ADR 0
REPLACEALL 2E 00 69 00 6D 00 67 00 BY 2E 00 6D 00 69 00 67 00
REM ..gmap --> ..mgap
ADR 0
REPLACEALL 00 00 67 00 6D 00 61 00 70 00 BY 00 00 6D 00 67 00 61 00 70 00
REM ..GMAP --> ..MGAP
ADR 0
REPLACEALL 00 00 47 00 4D 00 41 00 50 00 BY 00 00 4D 00 47 00 41 00 50 00

Script above is for passing the wrong map without read it by firmware.

Edited by - SiamMarine on 31 déc. 2010 10:37:20
Go to Top of Page

AussieDJM

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 31 déc. 2010 :  10:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@prdelko
pressing the top left corner of the nuvi 37xx puts unit into preboot mode. At this time you can update firmware.
A cure firmware may be able to remove.change .img and then nuvi should boot into menu ok as it wont 'see' a corrupted map.
You will need proper cure file and the updater program (available from garmin site). Maybe someone here can make cure file for you.
Read whole thread as it is covered pretty well.
Cheers and good luck
HNY to all
Edit
cure rgn file is mouse dragged onto the updater.exe file to initiate the load during the preboot period.

Edited by - AussieDJM on 31 déc. 2010 10:27:41
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 31 déc. 2010 :  18:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds more like a discharged battery than anything else...
Go to Top of Page

AussieDJM

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 01 janv. 2011 :  06:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
......get ability for PC to recognise through USB, but only until the "Loading maps" appears.

If shutting down while still connected via USB its unlikely to be a discharged battery.
Go to Top of Page

FantomFan

New Zealand
15 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2011 :  02:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do these actually remember the zoom level?

I have tried with auto zoom on and off but the map seems to use a default setting every time I go to it.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2011 :  05:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I find the same thing, it always starts up at a default zoom level which is often different than the one I last set it to.

I think when it come right down to it we confuse what "autozoom" really is. Autozoom allows the Nuvi to zoom in or out automatically dependent on the speed your driving or some other maneuver being carrying out. Given that, the new ability to turn "autozoom" on or off is simply allowing us to keep the Nuvi from doing this automatic zooming in or out. It is not the ability to set a zoom level and have the Nuvi maintain that level until we change it to something else.

Certainly it does allow for manually setting a zoom level and have that level maintained no matter how fast the vehicle is being driven etc. but every time the Nuvi is booted up a preferred zoom level must be set. For me, the perfect world would be to set a preferred zoom level and have the Nuvi remember that setting and use it every time I turn it on but that isn't the way it appears to work. Oh well, at least we have "some" control over the zoom level and can maintain that level which we couldn't before.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

hobus

Sweden
14 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2011 :  11:26:03  Show Profile  Visit hobus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

I have used my 3790 for more that six months now and done the software upgrades that have been released. However as I was about to transfer a new set of maps to the unit I noticed that there were a lot less free space left than I had expected. After a bit of exploring I discovered that it was the directory /.System/ASR/ that had grown to about double the size from when I made my first backup when I bougth the unit.

When it was brand new it was about 755 MB, now it is 1.45 GB! Does anyone know why? And would it be a bad idea to delete the files and replace them with the original ones?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2011 :  16:22:30  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello hobus.
Please see my post dated 17 Nov 2010 8:28:54
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138430&whichpage=2#971783
I've got confirmation from Poland.Support so it is known/reported problem.
It will be solved "soon" (by Garmin).

mariusz
nüvi 3490T (105-01652-00), nüvi 760 (006-B0754-00) & still 250W (006-B0737-00)
Go to Top of Page

hobus

Sweden
14 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2011 :  20:02:57  Show Profile  Visit hobus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks Beetle-m!
I hope they will address this problem in the next software upgrade.
Go to Top of Page

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2011 :  20:40:17  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I'm not so young man to trust him so easy ;-)

mariusz
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93892 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2011 :  22:08:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had missed that bug, a lot of space indeed can be saved by removing old files!

I've come to realize that one of the features I appreciate the most on my nuvi 3790T is the "instant on", either when you drop it into its cradle or press the on/off button and then double-tap the "lock button", probably because it's unique to any GPS system I've owned so far (maybe sold old WinCE systems had that but it only lasted a day or two) and there have been many ;-) Anyway has anyone figured out how long that "standby" mode could work without the unit being recharged?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2011 :  23:24:23  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FYI: "Speech Recognition Data, Australian English" available for download via WebUpdater today.

mariusz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05