Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2203

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2010 :  21:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geof
Have you tired 3D terrain view with a 3D capable Topo Map?

My 3790t arrives tomorrow and I will be trying it out with Garmin's Topo US 2008 (which contains relatively high resolution DEM data). This map does provide shaded terrain on any recent Nuvi models, but only in 2d display mode. Actually, the shaded terrain makes the map very difficult to read and I don't care for it on the Nuvi. But I am also curious to see if it works in 3d view and if it is more readable on the 3790.

I have also noted that the DEM data is in a separate mapset in Rick's screenshot. Can you enable this along with a third party map without DEM (such as those at GPSFileDepot) and does it work? Do you see 3d buildings on the third party map?

I also have a Nuvi 1350 and it doesn't render topo maps properly. The elevation contour lines are really fat - thicker than roads - making the map hard to read. It also doesn't correctly render wetland (swamp) areas. It draws them the same as lakes, giving a false impression of what low-lying areas really look like. I hope Garmin has addressed these issues on the 3700 series.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7702 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2010 :  23:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boyd hopefully this will answer your questions about 3rd party maps on the 3790T

3rd Party Washington State Topo Maps with City Navigator 3D

This shot if of downtown Seattle and you'll see the red topo elevation lines as well as the 3D buildings.

3rd Party Washington State Topo Maps with City Navigator DEM

These 2 screen shots are from different spots in Washington State but only the DEM map and the Washington Topo map are selected. Not sure why the cut off on the 2 screen shot though.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2010 :  23:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@pilotart. Thanks.
I did indeed have the US map 2011.10 upgrade installed for free on the PC. But this was an additional map I bought on DVD (CN North America2010.10).
The pre-installed European Map was already 2011.10 and I couldn't get it updated (yet). I can however buy the European map 2011.20 upgrade soon I read (download it end of July/August from Garmin).
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  01:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fascinating Rick - thank you for posting! Curious that it chops the map off. Perhaps something about where the tiles break. Or maybe it just gives up trying to draw all that detail. That is what my 1350 often does in fact, leaving a partially rendered screen.

In 3d mode, does it map the elevation contours on the 3d image? The older Nuvi's will do (basically) what you have posted using Garmin's US Topo in 2d mode, but they don't render shaded 3d terrain (eg: mountains that "stick up" above the surface plane).

Thanks again - I will be able to investigate this all myself in about 24 hours

Edited by - Boyd on 07 juil. 2010 01:36:38
Go to Top of Page

Geof

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  02:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wadokai

@Geoff
Just tried my GB topo map in the 3790 and it works fine !!!

Sounds good...thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Boyd

quote:
Originally posted by Geof
Have you tired 3D terrain view with a 3D capable Topo Map?

My 3790t arrives tomorrow and I will be trying it out with Garmin's Topo US 2008 (which contains relatively high resolution DEM data). This map does provide shaded terrain on any recent Nuvi models, but only in 2d display mode. Actually, the shaded terrain makes the map very difficult to read and I don't care for it on the Nuvi. But I am also curious to see if it works in 3d view and if it is more readable on the 3790.

Excellent. I'll be following along.........:)

Geoff

Edited by - Geof on 07 juil. 2010 02:25:35
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  03:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

Sorry no, I have topo maps loaded on the MicroSD card but none are 3d capable.

@lucvl If you drag around the screen with 2 fingers it will turn the map.

The reordering of Trip Planner points is a PITA for me. Some days it's works easily and the next it's impossible. Maybe it has to do with the amount of fingerprints and stuff on the screen.

Try this Rick - only drag the icon starting in a downward direction, then up once it starts to move - that works for me!
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7702 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  03:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Boyd

In 3d mode, does it map the elevation contours on the 3d image? The older Nuvi's will do (basically) what you have posted using Garmin's US Topo in 2d mode, but they don't render shaded 3d terrain (eg: mountains that "stick up" above the surface plane).

The preinstalled CN Maps and DEM maps will show the mountains sticking up if your driving on a route through a valley, for example.

With Preinstalled DEM maps and Washington Topo it also shows the mountains sticking up like this:

@ZX14NINJA - maybe a little better I find tapping the far right end of the bar I want to move, tapping it again and finally dragging it works most often for me, but certainly not 100% of the time. Your right, dragging down works better than up but if you can get the item to move at all you can get it to go either way.

What bugs me equally is that the edit screen only shows 3 entries at a time. If you want to move the 2nd item to the 6th spot, the new location is on the next page but the screen doesn't scroll to that next page. The item your dragging just disappears off the bottom of the screen and you have no idea in what position it landed in until you let go of the drag and scroll to the next page to find it.

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 07 juil. 2010 03:59:29
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  04:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! The hardware for this series is clearly WAY more powerful than anything Garmin has released before. Put this same engine in a tough case, add some advanced menu's and you would have a very impressive handheld. I wonder if we will ever see something like this (named for some other Western state) from Garmin?
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  08:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simfan

@Dewi. I do have TTS voices in English as well as a.o. Dutch (European model but added CN North America 2011.10 MAP).
To keep it 'logical' I tend to use the native (GPS UI/spoken) language of the country I'm driving in.
Doesn't make sense to e.g. use the Dutch language, 'km', non-English spoken street names etc. in the US.
Navigating in (foreign) countries in custom languages may get us lost there in the middle of nowhere.

What I cannot understand is why they cannot link the TTS pronunciation of street names to the nation on is currently in.

i.e. the turn command in a language, and the street name in another.

In Italy we could have problems in Val d'Aosta (with french names) and Alto Adige (with somewhat germanish names), but I think that even that could be handled...
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  12:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@owners: my 3790T now refused to power up (instantly) twice (and once even took 30 minutes and plugging it in-out of AC).
I read here, as well as on other forums + reviews (like amazon) this to be common with this new type of device.
I now fear this to happen to me (again) and with this unit on longer journeys in the future, could (current owners) please tell me if this has happened to them too and more important how they got it working again ?
Thx.

Edited by - simfan on 07 juil. 2010 14:29:06
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  14:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another 37xx issue someone brought up in another forum is the unit's inability to select any point on the map (in browse mode) and save that point as a Favorite. Seems this only works for street addresses now...point to a location on the street and the "save location" dialog is triggered; elsewhere and it's not triggered. Any input/verification from other 37xx users here?

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 07 juil. 2010 14:27:13
Go to Top of Page

gpsmapper

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  14:28:47  Show Profile  Visit gpsmapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That seems to be true. You can tap a point along a road and save it, but not a point off road.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  14:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I wonder what the logic is for the removal of that long-time & useful feature. I don't think it was ever NOT on a nuvi...until now.

These odd quirks (the route transfer issue and now this) with the new units are making me appreciate my 765T more. Hopefully, they'll be corrected in upcoming firmware releases...I'm definitely holding off until they hit retail stores here and more missing features are revealed and (hopefully) corrected in a decent time frame.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 07 juil. 2010 15:22:28
Go to Top of Page

Geof

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  15:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpsmapper

That seems to be true. You can tap a point along a road and save it, but not a point off road.

I wonder if that's still the case of the unit is in the Off Road mode......

They may be trying to keep us from using it for hiking, etc. Whatever the reason this is pretty lame and is a big negative for me.

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7702 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  16:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The inability to save an off road point IMHO is user error or misunderstanding of the process. Here are some screen shots:

First pick an off road spot - in this case Kennedy Lake

Now if you tap the words Kennedy Lake this screen appears:

Now tap the 3 Bar icon in the top left corner and the save screen appears.

@simfan - no problems in turning on my unit. As I posted before you have to press the power button until you hear the 'click' however.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05