Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2297

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2010 :  11:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got off the phone with the shop where I bought my 3790T (Belgium).
They contacted Garmin on my asking.
Garmin (Belgium) is aware of this inability to import/export Routes (in/out of MapSource).
Garmin's programmers supposedly forgot to implement this feature (at least that's what I was told), thus it is not really a 'bug'.
Garmin will fix/add this function with a (they did not say 'next') future Firmware update.
This is similar to what I read on a Dutch Website a couple of days ago.
Here's hoping US customers will have enhanced Firmware (unlike 2.20).
I was advised, in the meantime, to use on-device routing features.
At least we now know this will come to the 37x0 and that's OK with me.

Edited by - simfan on 24 juin 2010 11:59:44
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2010 :  12:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simfan

Price of the A10: where I bought the 3970T, the A10 was in too for about 30 euro's/35USD more.

And what was the price of your 3790T?

I have looked in your past messages, but I couldn't find it...
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2010 :  13:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@smiley1081. I hope I am allowed to put prices here.
I paid 343 EUR for the 3790T + 51 EUR CN North America NT DVD version 2010.10 map - upgraded (free) to 2011.10 (came standard with European Deluxe 40+ countries 2011.10).
The latest Garmin nuviphone was 369 EURO.
[You can find lower prices on-line (a.o. Belgian Webshops), but I prefer professional service and am willing to pay a bit more for that]
Go to Top of Page

mshoo1

4 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2010 :  15:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you that own the EcoRoute HD accessory, it looks like the 3790T is not compatible with the EcoRoute HD device (at least not yet). I have included below the text of an email I received today from Garmin technical support:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. At the present time, the EcoRoute HD isn't compatible with the nuvi 3790. This information was provided by our engineering department."
Go to Top of Page

alandb

460 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2010 :  22:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simfan

Garmin (Belgium) is aware of this inability to import/export Routes (in/out of MapSource).
Garmin's programmers supposedly forgot to implement this feature (at least that's what I was told), thus it is not really a 'bug'.
I don't buy this explanation. Programmers work from design spec's and project documentation. They don't "just forget" to include a feature. And what about QA and beta testing? I suspect Garmin cut some corners in the product development to meet a release date requirement

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Edited by - alandb on 24 juin 2010 22:15:13
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2010 :  22:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alandb, yep that would indeed be more probable.
Strange thing is ... this feature (routing) is far from 'new'.
But I won't complain (yet) because the hardware seems a true gem.
Software-wise it is easy to use. I have read reviews here about more capable (customization-wise) navigation softwares, but to me some of that is overkill for in-car use and what I really want is setting my trip/routing info up in no time.
This is were, IMHO, this 3790T may shine above many other offerings.
Anyway, my hope/guess is that my 3790T may still 'mature' in all (firmware/apps) respects because this is the most awesome piece of micro-engineering and style I have yet seen.
I am really anxious to read some in-depth reviews on the 3790T.

Edited by - simfan on 24 juin 2010 22:43:10
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2010 :  02:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does make sense, if you were a new user shopping for a new cell phone and cell service. But if you are already in a committed cell phone "relationship" and have your "favorite" smartphone, you are already paying the $50 - $100 per month for (likely) unlimited data. Downloading a $99 "nuvi software" package to my smartphone would be the perfect solution for me.

If they do end up "connecting" the 3970t in a future model release, why can't they do it like the Kindle and the Nook and make the service plan go away? Sell us a data package for the life of the ownership of the unit and get on with it. I don't understand why they have to be tied to a monthly service plan. I mean, it doesn't take that much bandwidth to throw some traffic data and weather to us does it?

quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

But in a country where the cell service plan will cost you anywhere from $50 to $100+ dollars a month, a one time hit of $350 to $450 for what looks like a terrific GPS plus a pay as you go cell phone does make sense.

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725LM
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2010 :  05:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PND's will always have their place in the market. Try using a smartphone while navigating and talking...
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2010 :  17:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZX14NINJA - I use a smartphone while talking just about every day. I have a HTC Touch Pro 2, with ALK's CoPilot Live v8 for Windows Mobile. I use either my Motorola T505 bluetooth speaker or my Jawbone Icon headset, both of which supports A2DP. I get the TTS directions over the T505 or Icon and when the phone rings, it is a single button in both cases to answer it - no touching the phone. When the call is over, and the caller hangs up, I do nothing and CoPilot comes back up on the screen. The only time I have to do anything is if I need to see the map while on the phone call. In that case I simply switch from the phone screen to the CoPilot screen and glance at the map while on the phone call. I don't get voice TTS while on the phone, but CoPilot still runs like before.

For my preferences, it beats carrying multiple devices, multiple chargers, and multiple mounts.

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725LM

Edited by - jeffcarp94 on 25 juin 2010 17:51:36
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7736 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2010 :  20:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@simfan - there is a new version of Mapsource available. There probably needs to be a firmware update on the Nuvi side as well, but this maybe the first step to fixing the "route transfer" problem.

To get the Mapsource update, run Mapsource and select Help - Check for Software Updates.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 25 juin 2010 20:28:26
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2010 :  22:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick.
I Updated and briefly tested the new MapSource version, mainly again trying the MapSource-3790T import/export of Routes ... sorry, but still a no go for that.
As you suggested a Firmware Upgrade will be in order to get this to work.
I was hopefull -at first- because it mentioned GPX format problems with certain devices and also a Dutch localization problem.
So no difference there.
Being a new user of MapSource I am not sure, but don't remember the Save to *.txt (TAB delimited) output feature.
This is great because it enables those export files to be easily used in a.o. MS Excel and creating lists of all kinds without any external conversion tool. But maybe that was already in there too.
MapSource does 'feel' faster, but this can be an initial hopeful impression only.
Anyway, bugs were -according to the install notes- fixed (again) and this is of great importance to us all.

Edited by - simfan on 25 juin 2010 22:53:56
Go to Top of Page

Freds

112 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2010 :  22:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JeffCarp94 says to use your smartphone with unlimited data plan for nav. Problem is that carriers are starting to limit the data plans. No more unlimited data plans.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2010 :  06:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried BaseCamp for this instead of Mapsource?
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2010 :  09:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Boyd. I did not try Basecamp. But if a 37x0 Firmware fix/update (to add support for import/export routing feature as I was told) is needed Basecamp won't help here. I didn't read anything about Basecamp and the 3790T either yet. If Basecamp would work, Garmin Technical Support would probably have mentioned this.
I now have Basecamp installed on another PC (I read there might be some incompatibilities between Basecamp and MapSource) and will try this later.
I hope someone else will report on these matters too.

Edited by - simfan on 26 juin 2010 13:25:13
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2010 :  17:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are probably right, but it's worth a try. Basecamp does things very differently. For example, it can read the maps directly from the GPS and allow you to use them on your computer without installing the actual map file.

It also has a "sync" capability with Garmin's newest handheld units (Oregon 450/550 and Dakota). You can modify waypoints and routes directly on the connected unit itself instead of sending a complete collection to replace the existing ones (like Mapsource does).

This feature doesn't seem to be supported on the existing Nuvi's, but I'm curious as to whether Garmin has enabled it on the 3700 series.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05