Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2166

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1008 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  05:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ST-Bob

Safety mode has nothing to do with routing "safely". It disables entry while in motion to force the driver to keep his eyes and attention focused on the road. Disabling safety mode allows entry of data while in motion and allows searching for POIs etc.

Exactly - (safe mode) and it has been that way for 5 years...I don't understand what he was complaining about...it can be turned on or off in setup.
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  09:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@jkk4 "the Nuvi 3790T has started shipping this week in the US". It would amaze me if the US version of the 3790T would have the flaw of not importing/exporting routes from Mapsource. If the same (Firmware version) then I think we can expect an enhanced MapSource Update soon.
Go to Top of Page

BAVC10

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  09:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darrengsaw

I have tried to calculate a number of routes with NuRoutes enabled and disabled and when NuRoutes is disabled, the 3790T calculates much quicker and matches the speed of my 1690T. With NuRoutes enables the calculation takes significantly longer, although it does seem to take "more logical" routes by avoiding city centres where there "appears" to be a more realistic average speed calculation being made
Go to Top of Page

jkk4

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  13:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simfan, I'll let you know very soon. Unit being delivered to me today!

jkk4
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  13:16:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BAVC10
I have tried to calculate a number of routes with NuRoutes enabled and disabled and when NuRoutes is disabled, the 3790T calculates much quicker and matches the speed of my 1690T. With NuRoutes enables the calculation takes significantly longer, although it does seem to take "more logical" routes by avoiding city centres where there "appears" to be a more realistic average speed calculation being made
Yes this makes sense as the routing engine needs to deal with a lot more data to determine the best route, basically instead of one "10 mile segment" in class 3 (say 50mph), it will have to deal with 10 "1 mile segments" at speeds of say 35/45/50/55/40, etc...same exact problem on TomTom units with IQ Routes, where on my test routes, it was about 2.5x when turned on.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  13:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got feedback for OnRoute Motorkaart Benelux CD, apparently this can be loaded on the 3790t. Now I wonder if a downloaded route from www.routeyou.com can be used on the 3790t. Maybe the issue is indeed only mapsource related? Can anybody check, because I don't have my garmin (yet).

Samsung Galaxy s3, Garmin 3790t, Becker Z100, BMW R1200GS

Edited by - lucvl on 23 juin 2010 13:21:23
Go to Top of Page

dequardo

255 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  14:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread and information on this new series. I think it's been alluded to earlier in the thread but does no one else think this is a huge risk for Garmin at these price points? No question the design and form factor is iPhone like quality and I too agree that a separate PND is still desirable but...in a world where Android 2.1 and up devices have decent NAV built-in...a $350+ US price seems really off the scale. Just my $.02

Edited by - dequardo on 23 juin 2010 14:41:16
Go to Top of Page

otaku

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  15:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dequardo

Interesting thread and information on this new series. I think it's been alluded to earlier in the thread but does no one else think this is a huge risk for Garmin at these price points? No question the design and form factor is iPhone like quality and I too agree that a separate PND is still desirable but...in a world where Android 2.1 and up devices have decent NAV built-in...a $350+ US price seems really off the scale. Just my $.02

I would pay $350 in a heartbeat, if it were Google connected a la 1690. Without this, it's a true dinosaur, even if it does look pretty. Especially at that price point.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  15:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But in a country where the cell service plan will cost you anywhere from $50 to $100+ dollars a month, a one time hit of $350 to $450 for what looks like a terrific GPS plus a pay as you go cell phone does make sense.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

otaku

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  16:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, MAKES THE FORUMS EASIER TO READ, THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM

I'd like to see a service plan similar to the iPad's, which is very reasonable to me. And the cell service should always be optional. And I think Garmin should also arrange the 2 free years, again like the 1690. I'd settle for one free year, though.

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 23 juin 2010 16:24:17
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  16:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dequardo

That's why I am waiting to see the price of a Garmin a10.

A first price I have seen from the Netherlands was 330 leuri, but I didn't understand if it was clean or with a phone contract.
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  16:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@jkk4: "Simfan, I'll let you know very soon. Unit being delivered to me today!". Thanks jkk4, that would be great.
I guess others may be eagerly awaiting this infomation as much as I do.
Really hope the routing is indeed fixed for the US version.
Would make little sense otherwise ... I can't believe Garmin not being aware of this issue by now.
Price of the A10: where I bought the 3970T, the A10 was in too for about 30 euro's/35USD more.

Edited by - simfan on 23 juin 2010 19:59:24
Go to Top of Page

janm

10 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  20:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZX14NINJA

quote:
Originally posted by ST-Bob

Safety mode has nothing to do with routing "safely". It disables entry while in motion to force the driver to keep his eyes and attention focused on the road. Disabling safety mode allows entry of data while in motion and allows searching for POIs etc.

Exactly - (safe mode) and it has been that way for 5 years...I don't understand what he was complaining about...it can be turned on or off in setup.

I was "complaining" (=wondering, asking) about a feature I don't understand: what use is there for a "safe mode" which the device is offering to disable the same moment you try to override it ???
And by the way: at least I can myself determine if and when I am to play with the navigator or not without this kind of ridiculous feature, be it there for 5 years or not.

I honestly thought the "Safe mode" had something to do with the routing algorithms where ones turned on it would kind of force your position to the roads instead of letting you float somewhere off road in between roads.

Anyway, really ridiculous feature if that's all it does . Adults should be able to decide on their own, especially if you are considered capable of carrying a drivers license.

Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  21:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@janm "ridiculous feature": I think so too ... if that is all that it does. A member in this thread however complained that turning safe mode off slows down the 3790T and makes for weird routing. Couldn't test it myself yet (think it's hard to test though, because you have to drive a route twice, but since poster was a taxi driver I guess he must have a point).

Edited by - simfan on 23 juin 2010 21:15:29
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  22:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be a ridiculous feature but since most of Garmin's market is in parts of the world with more lawyers than brain-surgeons, the safety mode is pretty much mandatory. They, like every other business, are worried about liability. Here in the land of stupid drivers, they have (sometimes successfully) sued because their GPS told them to turn onto railroad tracks which were parallel to a roadway within a certain distance and got themselves run over by a freight train.

You can't fix stupid...

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,85 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05