Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin® ecoRoute™ hd via OBD II - Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2010 :  22:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the options I was considering before the ecoRoute HD was the Scan Gauge II. It has an XGauge function that may be vehicle specific, but I'm not really sure how it works or what additional info it provides. Perhaps someone who has one can chime in with some details and/or comparison to the ecoRoute HD.

IAC, I'm hopeful that in time, Garmin will improve and enhance the capabilities of the ecoRoute HD. I'm enjoying it thus far.

I was our running some errands the other day and left the 1690 on with the gauges showing after I shut down the engine. When I cranked back up about 10 minutes later, it took about 15 seconds for the gauges to begin displaying valid information. So that's probably a good measure of how long it takes for the HD device to reconnect and pass info along to the GPS.

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 06 août 2010 :  13:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the ecoRoute HD (and similar devices such as the SGII), is anyone here using a Y cable for the OBD II port so that when you take your vehicle in for inspection, you don't have to disconnect your device?

From what little I've read, there may be issues with communication when more than one device is connected to the OBD II data stream.

Anyone have any experience running multiple devices off the OBD II data port?

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2010 :  20:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing the EcoRoute HD for $89.99 at Amazon today, if anyone's looking for it.

Garmin SP2720/7.20 Firmware/GTM-12 (5.50)/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 1690/3.90 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 3790T/4.70 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93958 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2010 :  20:56:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip, just need to make sure the OBD II connector is easily accessible in my new "ride".

continued : found it! Called Garmin to make sure it would work and since the car is recent they said it wouldn't be a problem. Was surprised to find out it wouldn't work on the 3790T though...the guy did tell me a software update was on its way. In the meantime I'll use it with my 1690 even though it's a Euro model and it's lost all its connected features here...EcorouteHD is going to fix that ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

92 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2010 :  16:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a price drop! I just got one last month. I'm returning it and reordering it at the low price. I called Amazon to see if they would just adjust the price, but this is the only option they gave. Seems like it would be cheaper for them to just adjust the price.

G-Man
Garmin nüvi 1490T, 360, Forerunner 305
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2010 :  16:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope Garmin will continue to develop and enhance the ecoRoute HD. I'm surprised at the massive price drop too.

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2010 :  17:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at Garmin's pages, and MSRP is now $99.99.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93958 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2010 :  07:17:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, nice drop !

For anyone wondering what the packaging looks like, here's what I got :

Been using it with my 1690 and I'm quite impressed by the new wealth of information, my car only has basic info speed/rpm/coolant temperature.

Not sure how useful knowing what the values throttle position/timing advance, engine load, air intake manifold (?) are but the real time MPG info, as well as the average over a trip, is quite enlightening. MPG hasn't appeared as a new choice for the gauges in the "gauges" page though, it's only available on the "fuel" page.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2010 :  16:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to get the real-time MPG on the map page when it's connected to the ecoRoute HD. So far as others have said it makes the ecochallenge stuff more interesting. The real-time MPG is also interesting. Just got mine yesterday, so only have today's run to the office to compare with.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2010 :  17:37:59  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

... Not sure how useful knowing what the values throttle position/timing advance, engine load, air intake manifold (?) are but the real time MPG info, as well as the average over a trip, is quite enlightening. MPG hasn't appeared as a new choice for the gauges in the "gauges" page though, it's only available on the "fuel" page.

Timing stats can tell you whether your car "wants" or "needs" higher octane gas to run efficiently. If the manifold item is pressure, that can show turbo boost (where applicable) or be an even better guide to efficient driving -- old-school "efficiency meters" for cars were simply mechanical manifold vacuum gauges "calibrated" with red, green and yellow zones. Real-time MPG is so radically influenced by so many variables (manifold pressure being a big one) as to produce a wealth of rapidly changing info, but not much useful data IMHO.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 01 sept. 2010 17:40:19
Go to Top of Page

LawnGuyLander

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2010 :  18:12:02  Show Profile  Visit LawnGuyLander's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wished this worked with the 7x5 series.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93958 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2010 :  08:40:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LER

I was able to get the real-time MPG on the map page when it's connected to the ecoRoute HD.
Got it, I was looking for a new line on the "Gauges" screen but having the option to show it on the map is even better, especially on the 1690 (or the 1490) where you can have several info fields.

Thanks for the insight Dan, I'll probably stick with instant MPG for now, and hopefully there will be no error code in the near future for the Ecoroute HD module to analyze!

Go to Top of Page

MMRizio

9 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2010 :  13:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a cheap ELM327 based bluetooth OBDII device in my car, that I use with my PC or smartphone. It gives me similar functionality to what I read in this topic. But I would like to connect it from my Garmin, without buying a new device and swapping connectors.

Does anyone know the technology behind the Garmin device? Has anyone tried connecting the Garmin device from a PC or smartphone? Or even better: Tried connecting the Garmin to a generic OBDII adaptor?

Maurice
Go to Top of Page

kwhunter

Canada
54 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2010 :  15:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if it works with the VW TDI 1.9l engine, anyone paired it with one?
Not sure of the availability of the OBDII (I believe they use a proprietary syatem)port on the car and where would it be located

nüvi 750 & nüvi 3490 on 2006 VW Jetta TDI & 2008 Rabbit
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2010 :  19:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All cars and light trucks sold in the USA (and probably all of North America) must have OBD connectors and conform to OBD-II and/or CAN communications protocols. This is not optional. If a manufacturer wants to sell their cars in the USA, they must comply. It doesn't make economic sense to have a different version just for Canada and/or Mexico. It's been like this for over 10 years so you shouldn't have to worry about your VW at least getting the basic info it needs to display engine parameters and MPG. There may be some vehicle-specific parameters which are unique to the TDI but they're not going to be the ones the Garmin Eco-route HD uses.

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750

Edited by - ST-Bob on 16 sept. 2010 19:43:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05