Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2250

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Seidio Official Forums
 Seidio English Forums
 G2500 with ipaq4150 heat problem
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pfugl

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2004 :  12:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When using my 4150 docked in the g2500 and charging, the battery and the inner side of the G2500 gets so hot that the ipaq ater 30-45 minutes, pops up with a message saying that the battery is getting too hot, and it stops charging.
There is no problem when the ipaq charges in its table craddle.
Is there a heat problem with my g2500, or is this just another symptom of the no charge problem mention elsewhere in the forum?

Best regards
Peter

Ads

Sprinter

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2004 :  18:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the opposite. Heat is created by the batteries as they get charged. When they overheat, it means either the voltage is too high or the charges does not detect the battery is full and switch into trickle mode. I'd stop using the cradle until you hear from Seido or the dealer you bought it from as it could fry your battery.

Sprinter
Go to Top of Page

anthonykan

13 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2004 :  19:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,

We would like to ask you to make sure the WLAN is off when you put it in the cradle. Also, make sure the iPAQ main battery has a level of 30% or more. The more power needs to charge into the iPAQ, the high temperature it will get, but it will not necessary to have meet the high temperature level. If you have the WLAN and the battery level of 30% or above, there should not be any problem on overheating.

If the overheat warning still appear, we would like to ask you to ask for an exchange of the unit from the online store you bought it from.

Thank you very much.

Seidio, inc.

Edited by - anthonykan on 23 juil. 2004 19:37:15
Go to Top of Page

LiquidMantis

6 Posts

Posted - 25 juil. 2004 :  21:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just received my G2500 yesterday and I am receiving the same error message. Also the sound quality is unacceptable. At the lowest audible volume the distortion is such that it's almost impossible to discern what the voice navigation prompts are. I'm going to ask for an exchange but it doesn't say much for QA if that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Sprinter

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 26 juil. 2004 :  03:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What PDA do you use it with?

Sprinter
Go to Top of Page

LiquidMantis

6 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2004 :  17:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 4155. Mine doesn't even take 30-45 minutes, more like 10-15 minutes before I get the popup warning.
Go to Top of Page

Sprinter

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2004 :  17:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contact the dealer for a RMA ASAP.

Sprinter
Go to Top of Page

LiquidMantis

6 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2004 :  22:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped using it after the second warning. Considering it's almost directly in front of an A/C vent (which down here in Texas is required to be on full ice spewing blast for the first 10 minutes anyway) I figured it couldn't be good.

I contacted Seidio and their support was fast and courteous. Semsons is RMA'ing my current one and shipping me a replacement next week upon receipt of a new shipment.

I'll update when I get the replacement.

Edited by - LiquidMantis on 27 juil. 2004 22:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Sprinter

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2004 :  22:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know. Take note that Semson did not have a 4150 to test the replacement cradle so I doubt if they can test yours too. However, since Seido is monitoring these events, I am sure they will step in if you still get a defective one. Hopefully, you won't have to go through this experience.

Sprinter
Go to Top of Page

Sprinter

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 03 août 2004 :  18:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess I spoke too soon. I repositioned my cradle slightly higher and away from the a/c vent. I too, received the warning in about 10 minutes that the battery is too hot and charging will be stopped. I had to pull over and moved my cradle closer to the vent and used it the rest of the day without any problem.

Anthonykan, is this a known issue? What is your suggestion for this?

Sprinter
Go to Top of Page

pfugl

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2004 :  09:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a replacement craddle from the dealer yesterday.
Next week will show if problem has gone.
I will update this thread when I know the results.

Best regards
Peter
Go to Top of Page

pfugl

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 08 août 2004 :  11:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the overheat popup again yesterday. The craddle is placed in the windshield area, and hit by the sun, so it gets pretty hot even without the ipaq mounted, so I suppose that is the reason.
However i do not see much use for the suction cup mount, if windshield placement is not an option.
I will try to move it to the front of the air vent to se if that makes any difference. But I am afraid that I will get a problem when winter arrives, and I need hot air from the vent.

Best regards
Peter
Go to Top of Page

Sprinter

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2004 :  06:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I thought about that too. I guess we do opposite and move it away from the vent. Sigh...a better product would have been easier ;)

Sprinter
Go to Top of Page

DSC

25 Posts

Posted - 15 août 2004 :  01:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We have been working on this overheating problem in the last couple weeks. Some changes in design has been made. The problem has been corrected. Please send me an email so I can take care of this problem very quickly. Send the email to dsc@seidio.com

Sorry for the problem and thank you very much for the patience.

David chang
Seidio

Go to Top of Page

cidiemme

Italy
3 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2004 :  17:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had same problem.
So, I have decided to analyze it.
My little study started with GD2500 electronic internal circuit analysis.

ICs regulator became hot during normal operations (this happens particularly for linear ICs), in GD2500 there are three IC regulator:

1. an LM2576T power IC provides supply for IPAQ and external wired GPS.
LM2576T is a switching regulator IC, it show very stable (4% tolerance) output voltage and low power dissipation due at the switching mode;

2. A standard (linear) 7809 IC that provides power for audio amplifier circuit;

3. Another switching regulator IC (at this moment I don't remember IC name) that provides output power (in example, you can have a mobile phone or a bluetooth GPS);

You should notate that:

During normal charging operation, my multimeter show me that LM2576T works fine (5.17 Volt without IPAQ and 5.16 Volt with IPAQ on and fully discharged battery) but it becomes slightly hot; this is a normal situation (note that a linear IC in place of switching IC could become very hot!); and, of course, 7809 IC becames hot (it is a 9 Volt linear power IC that drops about 3-4 Volts in car environment).
The other IC becomes hot if you connect an external auxiliary like mobile or bluethoot GPS.

So, GD2500 heats the ipaq (this doesn't happen with the cradle, there is not power ICs in it!);

and

GD2500 is taller than cradle, so the heat is not dissipated as well as in the cradle;
Of course, car environment and sun rays heat the ipaq;

Sum of these three issues can arise the drawback.

What you can do to avoid it?
If you avoid to discharge completely ipaq battery, you can put your PPC on GD2500 safely; anthonykan suggest the same, this work-around works fine.

Bye

Edited by - cidiemme on 08 sept. 2004 17:54:20
Go to Top of Page

pfugl

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2004 :  20:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now received one of the modified units mentioned by David earlier in the thread. After 4 days of use I have not yet seen the hot battery warning. But autumn is coming up here, so the sun ray is not that much of a factor anymore. However it is my feeling that it runs a bit cooler than before.
As an added value, the sound quality seems a bit better, and the noise has completely disappeared, so I am very satisfied now.
I also must say that I am impressed by the service given by Seidio and David. This is outstanding! Thank You.

Best regards
Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05