Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2164

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom for iPhone - Testing - v1.10
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

gpspassion

93881 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2009 :  16:27:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TESTING - TOMTOM FOR IPHONE v1.10
HD Traffic (v1.3+) - North America : $100 / Europe : $140 - Optional Car Holder with GPS
TomTom iPhone site - No more custom icons (v1.5)

TomTom iPhone remains usable in direct sun light!

Updated April 10th, 2012 : v1.10 now available, new maps (v8.85) and a few "social sharing" features added.
Updated April 27th, 2011 : v1.7 now available with new maps (v865), optional voices and Live mobile speedcams in Europe.

Updated December 20th, 2010 : v1.6 now available with new features like Mapshare.

Updated October 20th, 2010 : v1.5 now available, bug fixes, new maps (v8.55/TeleAtlas 2010.06), but no more custom POI icons for third-party POIs.

Updated September 9th, 2010 : v1.5 was announced at the IFA show in Berlin last week, new features include navigating to a geocoded picture and iPhone 4 optimizations, see details on page 3.

Updated June 22nd, 2010 : v1.4 now available via iTunes, new maps and several new features but mostly compatibility with the new "backgrounding" feature of iOS 4 that was rolled out yesterday for the legacy devices and that will power the upcoming iPhone 4, see details on page 3.

Updated March 13th, 2010 : v1.3 now available via iTunes wih connected features (Google Local, Traffic), see details on page 2.

Updated November 18th, 2009 : TomTom have just released the v1.2 update via the Appstore : new maps (v835), TTS and ALG, see details below.

Updated October 21st, 2009 : TomTom has just released the v1.1 update via the Appstore for the iPhone version. No new features, just a few bug fixes. After some road testing it appears the GPS position shown on the map is now closer to the actual position...until your turn, see below for details.
Posted August 17th, 2009 - Announced at the same time as the iPhone 3GS on June 8th 2009, TomTom for iPhone is now available on the Appstore, let the testing begin !

Unfortunately, as with other iPhone versions of popular GPS software (Navigon, iGo, etc...) it appears to be a "watered down" version with no ALG (advanced lane guidance), Traffic information of custom POIs. There is no indication at this time whether these will be added later for free or for pay. Considering you can get an entry level TomTom ONE or Garmin nuvi for a bit more than $100 these days, the price of the software only version for the iPhone seems high, but since all the iPhone touches turns to gold these days...

For reference purposes : here is an interview of Tom Murray, VP for TomTom on the challenges of working with the GPS signal of the iPhone : http://www.macworld.com/article/141539/2009/07/tomtomiphoneupdate.html?t=213

quote:
According to Murray, the biggest challenge presented by an iPhone-based navigation solution is that dedicated navigation devices have better GPS reception than an unassisted iPhone.

In addition, the iPhone doesn’t include any of the special technologies TomTom implements in its own navigation units; for example, gyroscopes and other hardware that allow a unit to better approximate its position when it loses the GPS signal in, say, a tunnel.

There are also logistical issues. For example, because the iPhone doesn’t support background processes, any navigation app must shut down during phone calls, making real-time tracking difficult—something that doesn’t happen on a dedicated GPS unit, even one that includes telephony features.

Car Kit not required, but recommended
iPhone owners will be able to purchase and use the TomTom software and maps without the Car Kit hardware accessory; however, the Car Kit for iPhone was designed to enhance the software by addressing several of the limitations mentioned above. For starters, the Car Kit includes a separate GPS receiver that performs better than the one built into the iPhone; Murray said this receiver is closer to what you’d find in a dedicated GPS unit. The TomTom app uses this receiver when your iPhone is docked in the Car Kit, allowing for improved real-time navigation, especially in cities with large buildings or in locations with lots of trees or other natural obstacles.
The Car Kit also includes a built-in speaker that provides better audio quality and considerably louder output, making it easier to hear spoken directions.
Finally, the Car Kit includes several additional audio features. For example, it includes a 1/8-inch audio-output jack for connecting the iPhone and Car Kit to any car stereo with an auxiliary-input jack; this lets you listen to both navigation directions and iPhone audio—including music—through your car stereo.
You also get a microphone that lets you use the Car Kit as a Bluetooth speakerphone. (Yes, even though the iPhone physically connects to the Car Kit, it uses a Bluetooth connection for phone calls.)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2009 :  17:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
subscribing.
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  14:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the market preys on the consumers who do not want to carry an extra device, otherwise there is no reason why a software should be as expensive these days given the PND market has come down in price a lot lately.

Sure, in the old days, I remember I spent this much to buy a software for my PocketPC PDA, for example, the Routis etc (from Samson), but they gave a bundle deal if bought together with a GPS receiver.

I often saw refurb TomTom PND for $99. CAD from time to time, and one time it was even less.

As for the phone call problem, I think it is very inconvenient. I don't know if backgrounder could help (need jailbreaking), but still the disappearing of the app for the duration of the phone call is probably a deal breaker for many users, even if the returning of the state could be helped by Backgrounding (I haven't tested it yet).

It seems that the vendors are deliberately watering down the software solutions, so they can maintain the good market of their hardware business, rather than going full force to compete in it.

I'm not a person who is afraid of carrying yet another gadget, so it doesn't bother me. But I also like to have backups in terms of a software based ones just in case. But $100. for a software only to do this little? I think they should cut that price in half.

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid
Go to Top of Page

dequardo

255 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  14:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just shows you what portion the mapping license makes up of the total price.

Edited by - dequardo on 21 août 2009 14:53:37
Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  19:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The phone call issue is not a deal breaker for me. First, I dislike talking on the phone while driving, even with a hands-free set. Second, receiving navigation instructions while on the phone would seem to be distracting to both the caller and driver. Assuming that the program will have text-to-speech in the future, such an instruction might reveal your general location to the caller which, er, in some cases might not be desirable. ;-)

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  20:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Major advantage of using a phone for turn-by-turn GPS would seem to be that you don't need to put away your GPS unit when you park.

But they need a beanbag mount for that dock, so that you can use it on rental cars overseas.
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  21:01:08  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also feel that TomTom is overpriced considering its feature set and prices of iPhone Nav app competition. Basically compared to every bit as good/bad Navigon (that uses better in US Navteq maps) you pay $30 just for the TomTom name. Yeah, I know Navignon's $70 is an intro price valid till end of this month with $100 after. But at least they had sense to keep lower price for the few months while major bugs and feature deffciencies were getting ironed out. Since they already prolonged intro period once I wouldn't be suprised if they continue to keep it at $70 until the version with TTS. Only makes sense when you have $35 CoPilot. There are rumors that Garmin would announce and iPhone app next week. I bet it'll also will be $100 and will be same way functionaly limited (no TTS, no ediatble multi-point itinerary, no traffic, etc.) as TomTom and others. Brand names sell :) Never could understand irrational exuberation and unrealistic expectations (like overcomming iPhone hardware and OS limitations) people developed just because of "TomTom" sound.

Having said all the above I think that frequently made price comparissons between iPhone Nav software like TomTom and respective low level PND ("Look, Ma, this TomTom GO is also $99") are valid only to the point. To me biggest differntiation here is that iPhone app software isn't tied to the particular device as in case with PNDs. Your wife needs GPS - buy another device, you need next hardware version - buy a new device. And paid map updates even "lifetime" like Garmin's nuMaps are for the lifetime of just one particular device. Got a new device - buy subscription again. On the other hand AppStore apps are all bound by Apple Policy that ties them to your registered iTunes account. Latter may have more than one device, for example mine has 3 (wife, son and me). All paid apps and music are synced between all registerd to the account devices, maybe there's a limit of 5 or something. Same applies to upgrades, e.g. from iPhone 3G to iPhone 3Gs and so on. You just resync to the new device. Since Apple approves every app (and updates thereof) I doubt that they'll allow a Nav app that breaks Apple's basic policy. On this and other GPS forums people report resyncing Nav apps without a problem to multiple phones on the account and to newely bought iPhone 3Gs. It would be interesting to see how TomTom, Navigon and others handle map updates. So far only Sygic or iGo (don't remember who) stated that they offer free map updates till end of next year.

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93881 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2009 :  12:03:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wasn't aware of these stated policies, can you repost them in the guide/comparison topic -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=128017

Did a 400 km trip yesterday and have another one lined up for today and switched between TomTom, Navigon, iGo and Sygic and one thing I liked is good legibility with the sun direct from the back, I'll post pictures tomorrow of my GO 940 next to TomTom iPhone !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2009 :  12:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"All paid apps and music are synced between all registerd to the account devices,"

There is a small but important difference between apps and music as far as iTunes is concerned. From what I read, you can re-download paid apps if you have lost the download but still have the iTunes account. The same cannot be said for iTunes music, if you do not have a backup of the music that you paid for, and you want it again, you can still get another copy but iTunes will charge you again for the same music that you paid for. For apps, the re-download for an already paid app, is free.

Thus I want to clarify that in case some readers might think that music policy is the same as app policy which is not the case.

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid

Edited by - ve7mdt on 26 août 2009 12:08:08
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93881 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2009 :  15:25:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clarifying, GPS wise the "app policy" is certainly quite interesting compared to an AIO as klopus expained.

Another advantage of the iPhone vs an AIO is its screen that stays legible in direct sun light :

...but the 940 has the useful static 3D view when you reach a junction...

Go to Top of Page

SwissFreek

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2009 :  18:51:38  Show Profile  Visit SwissFreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll admit I haven't tried this myself yet, as I haven't had much opportunity to test out CoPilot Live, but what's to stop you from hitting the home button and starting the app back up when you get a call? The phone call WILL continue. Of course it might be an assumption that you have a handsfree device so you don't have to put the screen to your head, but still...

SwissFreek
CoPilot Live 8 (iPhone) - Garmin GPSMap 60CSx - Garmin Mobile PC v5
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93881 Posts

Posted - 30 août 2009 :  17:51:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might work yes, but not sure what happens when you hang up, probably have to relaunch.

Thanks to the FCC, here is the lowdown on the much talked about TomTom iPhone mount : https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=480104&fcc_id=

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93881 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2009 :  00:06:09  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might work yes, but not sure what happens when you hang up, probably have to relaunch.

Thanks to the FCC, here is the lowdown on the much talked about TomTom iPhone mount : https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=480104&fcc_id=

Pictures extracted from the PDF :

SiRFstarIII on board...

...and a LARGE patch antenna !

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93881 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2009 :  21:51:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few updates :

1. TomTom Car Kit now available in Europe and I've started testing it, the GPS position is significantly improved : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=129583

2. TomTom have released a v1.1 update via the Appstore. No new features, but a few bug fixes. After some road testing it appears as seen below that the GPS position shown on the map is now closer to the actual position (it used to lag a couple of seconds)...until your turn when it tends to go straight on. So it seems TomTom are using the old "anticipation" trick, but it's less refined than on their AIOs where it assumes you will follow the planned route, maybe for v1.2 !

GO 950, GO 910, TomTom Iphone + Car Kit, Navigon 8410 (coupé)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93881 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  03:02:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A new update for "TomTom for iPhone" is out, v1.2

What's new in 1.2 :
- TTS : Text to Speech to pronounce actual street names
- ALG : static 3D road signs for complex intersections
- New maps : v8.35 (TeleAtlas 2009.06) like on the AIOs
- Customization of the speedcam and overspeed sounds
- iPod Touch compatibilité...with the forthcoming iPod Touch car kit.

...still no traffic informatons or adding of your own POIs (possible if you have a JB iPhones) and no sound or visual alerts for added speedcameras.

Screenshots :

ALG in landscape mode...

...but also in portrait mode and iPod controls by tapping the bottom bar

Customizing the sound of the TomTom speedcams and speeding

iPod controls seen in lanscape mode

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  15:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received notice this morning that TomTom's app will work with the iPod ONLY with TomTom's mount. The insinuation is that other's such as Magellan's won't interface with the TT app. I'm not convinced that's the case. Has TomTom indicated anything similar to you GPSPassion?

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 19 nov. 2009 15:07:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05