Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom for iPhone - Testing - v1.10
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2009 :  16:27:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TESTING - TOMTOM FOR IPHONE v1.10
HD Traffic (v1.3+) - North America : $100 / Europe : $140 - Optional Car Holder with GPS
TomTom iPhone site - No more custom icons (v1.5)

TomTom iPhone remains usable in direct sun light!

Updated April 10th, 2012 : v1.10 now available, new maps (v8.85) and a few "social sharing" features added.
Updated April 27th, 2011 : v1.7 now available with new maps (v865), optional voices and Live mobile speedcams in Europe.

Updated December 20th, 2010 : v1.6 now available with new features like Mapshare.

Updated October 20th, 2010 : v1.5 now available, bug fixes, new maps (v8.55/TeleAtlas 2010.06), but no more custom POI icons for third-party POIs.

Updated September 9th, 2010 : v1.5 was announced at the IFA show in Berlin last week, new features include navigating to a geocoded picture and iPhone 4 optimizations, see details on page 3.

Updated June 22nd, 2010 : v1.4 now available via iTunes, new maps and several new features but mostly compatibility with the new "backgrounding" feature of iOS 4 that was rolled out yesterday for the legacy devices and that will power the upcoming iPhone 4, see details on page 3.

Updated March 13th, 2010 : v1.3 now available via iTunes wih connected features (Google Local, Traffic), see details on page 2.

Updated November 18th, 2009 : TomTom have just released the v1.2 update via the Appstore : new maps (v835), TTS and ALG, see details below.

Updated October 21st, 2009 : TomTom has just released the v1.1 update via the Appstore for the iPhone version. No new features, just a few bug fixes. After some road testing it appears the GPS position shown on the map is now closer to the actual position...until your turn, see below for details.
Posted August 17th, 2009 - Announced at the same time as the iPhone 3GS on June 8th 2009, TomTom for iPhone is now available on the Appstore, let the testing begin !

Unfortunately, as with other iPhone versions of popular GPS software (Navigon, iGo, etc...) it appears to be a "watered down" version with no ALG (advanced lane guidance), Traffic information of custom POIs. There is no indication at this time whether these will be added later for free or for pay. Considering you can get an entry level TomTom ONE or Garmin nuvi for a bit more than $100 these days, the price of the software only version for the iPhone seems high, but since all the iPhone touches turns to gold these days...

For reference purposes : here is an interview of Tom Murray, VP for TomTom on the challenges of working with the GPS signal of the iPhone : http://www.macworld.com/article/141539/2009/07/tomtomiphoneupdate.html?t=213

quote:
According to Murray, the biggest challenge presented by an iPhone-based navigation solution is that dedicated navigation devices have better GPS reception than an unassisted iPhone.

In addition, the iPhone doesn’t include any of the special technologies TomTom implements in its own navigation units; for example, gyroscopes and other hardware that allow a unit to better approximate its position when it loses the GPS signal in, say, a tunnel.

There are also logistical issues. For example, because the iPhone doesn’t support background processes, any navigation app must shut down during phone calls, making real-time tracking difficult—something that doesn’t happen on a dedicated GPS unit, even one that includes telephony features.

Car Kit not required, but recommended
iPhone owners will be able to purchase and use the TomTom software and maps without the Car Kit hardware accessory; however, the Car Kit for iPhone was designed to enhance the software by addressing several of the limitations mentioned above. For starters, the Car Kit includes a separate GPS receiver that performs better than the one built into the iPhone; Murray said this receiver is closer to what you’d find in a dedicated GPS unit. The TomTom app uses this receiver when your iPhone is docked in the Car Kit, allowing for improved real-time navigation, especially in cities with large buildings or in locations with lots of trees or other natural obstacles.
The Car Kit also includes a built-in speaker that provides better audio quality and considerably louder output, making it easier to hear spoken directions.
Finally, the Car Kit includes several additional audio features. For example, it includes a 1/8-inch audio-output jack for connecting the iPhone and Car Kit to any car stereo with an auxiliary-input jack; this lets you listen to both navigation directions and iPhone audio—including music—through your car stereo.
You also get a microphone that lets you use the Car Kit as a Bluetooth speakerphone. (Yes, even though the iPhone physically connects to the Car Kit, it uses a Bluetooth connection for phone calls.)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2009 :  17:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
subscribing.
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  14:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the market preys on the consumers who do not want to carry an extra device, otherwise there is no reason why a software should be as expensive these days given the PND market has come down in price a lot lately.

Sure, in the old days, I remember I spent this much to buy a software for my PocketPC PDA, for example, the Routis etc (from Samson), but they gave a bundle deal if bought together with a GPS receiver.

I often saw refurb TomTom PND for $99. CAD from time to time, and one time it was even less.

As for the phone call problem, I think it is very inconvenient. I don't know if backgrounder could help (need jailbreaking), but still the disappearing of the app for the duration of the phone call is probably a deal breaker for many users, even if the returning of the state could be helped by Backgrounding (I haven't tested it yet).

It seems that the vendors are deliberately watering down the software solutions, so they can maintain the good market of their hardware business, rather than going full force to compete in it.

I'm not a person who is afraid of carrying yet another gadget, so it doesn't bother me. But I also like to have backups in terms of a software based ones just in case. But $100. for a software only to do this little? I think they should cut that price in half.

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid
Go to Top of Page

dequardo

255 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  14:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just shows you what portion the mapping license makes up of the total price.

Edited by - dequardo on 21 août 2009 14:53:37
Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  19:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The phone call issue is not a deal breaker for me. First, I dislike talking on the phone while driving, even with a hands-free set. Second, receiving navigation instructions while on the phone would seem to be distracting to both the caller and driver. Assuming that the program will have text-to-speech in the future, such an instruction might reveal your general location to the caller which, er, in some cases might not be desirable. ;-)

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  20:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Major advantage of using a phone for turn-by-turn GPS would seem to be that you don't need to put away your GPS unit when you park.

But they need a beanbag mount for that dock, so that you can use it on rental cars overseas.
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2009 :  21:01:08  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also feel that TomTom is overpriced considering its feature set and prices of iPhone Nav app competition. Basically compared to every bit as good/bad Navigon (that uses better in US Navteq maps) you pay $30 just for the TomTom name. Yeah, I know Navignon's $70 is an intro price valid till end of this month with $100 after. But at least they had sense to keep lower price for the few months while major bugs and feature deffciencies were getting ironed out. Since they already prolonged intro period once I wouldn't be suprised if they continue to keep it at $70 until the version with TTS. Only makes sense when you have $35 CoPilot. There are rumors that Garmin would announce and iPhone app next week. I bet it'll also will be $100 and will be same way functionaly limited (no TTS, no ediatble multi-point itinerary, no traffic, etc.) as TomTom and others. Brand names sell :) Never could understand irrational exuberation and unrealistic expectations (like overcomming iPhone hardware and OS limitations) people developed just because of "TomTom" sound.

Having said all the above I think that frequently made price comparissons between iPhone Nav software like TomTom and respective low level PND ("Look, Ma, this TomTom GO is also $99") are valid only to the point. To me biggest differntiation here is that iPhone app software isn't tied to the particular device as in case with PNDs. Your wife needs GPS - buy another device, you need next hardware version - buy a new device. And paid map updates even "lifetime" like Garmin's nuMaps are for the lifetime of just one particular device. Got a new device - buy subscription again. On the other hand AppStore apps are all bound by Apple Policy that ties them to your registered iTunes account. Latter may have more than one device, for example mine has 3 (wife, son and me). All paid apps and music are synced between all registerd to the account devices, maybe there's a limit of 5 or something. Same applies to upgrades, e.g. from iPhone 3G to iPhone 3Gs and so on. You just resync to the new device. Since Apple approves every app (and updates thereof) I doubt that they'll allow a Nav app that breaks Apple's basic policy. On this and other GPS forums people report resyncing Nav apps without a problem to multiple phones on the account and to newely bought iPhone 3Gs. It would be interesting to see how TomTom, Navigon and others handle map updates. So far only Sygic or iGo (don't remember who) stated that they offer free map updates till end of next year.

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2009 :  12:03:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wasn't aware of these stated policies, can you repost them in the guide/comparison topic -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=128017

Did a 400 km trip yesterday and have another one lined up for today and switched between TomTom, Navigon, iGo and Sygic and one thing I liked is good legibility with the sun direct from the back, I'll post pictures tomorrow of my GO 940 next to TomTom iPhone !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2009 :  12:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"All paid apps and music are synced between all registerd to the account devices,"

There is a small but important difference between apps and music as far as iTunes is concerned. From what I read, you can re-download paid apps if you have lost the download but still have the iTunes account. The same cannot be said for iTunes music, if you do not have a backup of the music that you paid for, and you want it again, you can still get another copy but iTunes will charge you again for the same music that you paid for. For apps, the re-download for an already paid app, is free.

Thus I want to clarify that in case some readers might think that music policy is the same as app policy which is not the case.

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid

Edited by - ve7mdt on 26 août 2009 12:08:08
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2009 :  15:25:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clarifying, GPS wise the "app policy" is certainly quite interesting compared to an AIO as klopus expained.

Another advantage of the iPhone vs an AIO is its screen that stays legible in direct sun light :

...but the 940 has the useful static 3D view when you reach a junction...

Go to Top of Page

SwissFreek

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2009 :  18:51:38  Show Profile  Visit SwissFreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll admit I haven't tried this myself yet, as I haven't had much opportunity to test out CoPilot Live, but what's to stop you from hitting the home button and starting the app back up when you get a call? The phone call WILL continue. Of course it might be an assumption that you have a handsfree device so you don't have to put the screen to your head, but still...

SwissFreek
CoPilot Live 8 (iPhone) - Garmin GPSMap 60CSx - Garmin Mobile PC v5
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 août 2009 :  17:51:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might work yes, but not sure what happens when you hang up, probably have to relaunch.

Thanks to the FCC, here is the lowdown on the much talked about TomTom iPhone mount : https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=480104&fcc_id=

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2009 :  00:06:09  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might work yes, but not sure what happens when you hang up, probably have to relaunch.

Thanks to the FCC, here is the lowdown on the much talked about TomTom iPhone mount : https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=480104&fcc_id=

Pictures extracted from the PDF :

SiRFstarIII on board...

...and a LARGE patch antenna !

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2009 :  21:51:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few updates :

1. TomTom Car Kit now available in Europe and I've started testing it, the GPS position is significantly improved : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=129583

2. TomTom have released a v1.1 update via the Appstore. No new features, but a few bug fixes. After some road testing it appears as seen below that the GPS position shown on the map is now closer to the actual position (it used to lag a couple of seconds)...until your turn when it tends to go straight on. So it seems TomTom are using the old "anticipation" trick, but it's less refined than on their AIOs where it assumes you will follow the planned route, maybe for v1.2 !

GO 950, GO 910, TomTom Iphone + Car Kit, Navigon 8410 (coupé)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  03:02:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A new update for "TomTom for iPhone" is out, v1.2

What's new in 1.2 :
- TTS : Text to Speech to pronounce actual street names
- ALG : static 3D road signs for complex intersections
- New maps : v8.35 (TeleAtlas 2009.06) like on the AIOs
- Customization of the speedcam and overspeed sounds
- iPod Touch compatibilité...with the forthcoming iPod Touch car kit.

...still no traffic informatons or adding of your own POIs (possible if you have a JB iPhones) and no sound or visual alerts for added speedcameras.

Screenshots :

ALG in landscape mode...

...but also in portrait mode and iPod controls by tapping the bottom bar

Customizing the sound of the TomTom speedcams and speeding

iPod controls seen in lanscape mode

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  15:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received notice this morning that TomTom's app will work with the iPod ONLY with TomTom's mount. The insinuation is that other's such as Magellan's won't interface with the TT app. I'm not convinced that's the case. Has TomTom indicated anything similar to you GPSPassion?

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 19 nov. 2009 15:07:21
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  15:56:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No and it doens't make a lot of sense based on what we know about the management of location on the iPhone/iPod OS, maybe they meant that you'll need the car kit since the iPod Touch does not have any other GPS sensor and they don't want to have to deal with people who haven't factored that in when buying the app.

Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  16:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, first three of attempts to start v1.2 crashed, even after soft-resetting the phone (3Gs). Seems to be running okay now. Earlier versions were very stable. Also, I received a phone call right after calculating a route. When the program restarted after the call, it calculated a route to a previous destination, not the one selected. Will test this further to see if I can repeat.

Update 21-Nov-09: No more crashes since the initial three attempts and I have been unable to duplicate the route calculation issue. The phone call may have interrupted the route calculation process itself, before navigation had started, or there was just some type of user error (imagine that).

Regards,
John Roper

Edited by - John R on 21 nov. 2009 15:58:16
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2010 :  17:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TomTom 1.3 on it's way ... depending on the cost of Live Traffic, TT is getting more tempting ...

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/03/tomtom-iphone-app-adds-live-traffic-google-search.html
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2010 :  20:30:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NEWS - TomTom for iPhone v1.3 is now available via iTunes and it has new maps (TeleAtlas 2009.12 based v8.45) and "connected" features at last, a must for "the" connected platform. Some are free, such as Google Local and some are for pay, such as HD Traffic.

HD Traffic was launched in Europe in late 2008 and in the USA in 2009 on the LIVE (connected) PNDs to leverage the additional bandwidth of GPRS compared to RDS TMC. Unfortunately TomTom for iPhone does not offer Traffic in as many regions as the PNDs. Where it is available the pricing is rather steep compared to CoPilot or Navigon : €6/month, €15/3 months, or €50/year

From Club TomTom :

quote:
There are several enhancements to the TomTom app that are now available on the App Store. Among the many enhancements in the latest version of the app, TomTom’s comprehensive traffic offering gives users dynamic, real-time information that helps them avoid traffic delays and find the fastest routes.

TomTom app for iPhone version 1.3 includes additional advanced features that are available for free to existing TomTom app customers:

- Local Search powered by Google - The TomTom app for iPhone now provides a countless number of points of interest at the user’s fingertips. Users can tap into the latest local Google listings from within the TomTom app to locate and route to anything from restaurants to flower shops.

- Pinch and Zoom – Integrating one of the iPhone’s most popular features, the latest version of the TomTom app allows users to “pinch and zoom” for a more detailed view of the navigation map.

- New Map Update – The TomTom app incorporates TomTom’s latest map, which was rated best for overall accuracy and includes 1 million more miles of U.S. roads than the competition.

- Automatic Day/Night Mode - For a safer drive, the TomTom app now also calculates local sunrise and sunset times to automatically adjust the screen brightness while driving.

- Music Fading – This music fading feature ensures that you never miss a navigation instruction while listening to music on your iPhone. The music volume decreases during turn-by-turn instructions and then increases when instructions are complete.

- Add to TomTom Feature – Save locations from other iPhone apps and Web browsers to your TomTom app.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2010 :  13:08:15  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No HD Traffic or new maps for the Australian v1.3 it seems : http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/339553/tomtom_updates_iphone_gps_app_traffic_still_no-go/ :-(

Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2010 :  04:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm leaning ... how does the "Add to TomTom" Feature work?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2010 :  03:49:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Learning ? Haven't tried it myself yet since it just sounded like a copy/paste affair.

Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2010 :  01:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tomtom USA app is down to $39.99.
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2010 :  00:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sold! ... took the plunge. like the Route Planning, big buttons, and traffic integration on navigation screen - it's nice to be able to review each upcoming incident and 'avoid' w/o leaving navigation screen ... don't mind boring maps, like routing decisions, route adjustments and HD traffic

Edited by - navxguy on 04 mai 2010 00:01:27
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2010 :  14:50:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You were using Navigon iPhone right ? Both good pieces of software but the more detailed graphics of TomTom make for more accurate guidance in urban areas, probably where you need GPS most.

Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2010 :  03:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. I'm enjoying my initial experience with TomTom app.

And over the last week, one of the missing elements that I was thinking about was integration with an app called AroundMe - a google search/map based app that integrated w/ Navigon nicely ... well, today AroundMe updated w/ integration with TomTom. Now I can choose whether to route and navigate via Navigon or TomTom from AroundMe.

i am finding the IQ Routing and HD traffic to be very good in Chicago Metro. i'm finding TomTom to be very usable w/ the traffic slider on the main navigation screen.

overall still a toss up between Navigon and TomTom - wheter i want best graphics w/ solid routing and traffic; or best routing & traffic w/ limited graphics.

i bias toward best routing and traffic, but i'll withold final judgement.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2010 :  08:37:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I would characterize this as "best graphics"/"limited graphics", sure there is less eye-candy in the TomTom App (general appearance, terrain rendering) but in town it's much more accurate than Navigon's 3D mode where you're never sure which sreet you need to take (at least in Europe where the intersections can be complex) without wasting time reading the street names and looking up the road signs. It's always been a problem with Navigon software, although it's a bit better on the iPhone app since you can zoom in (a bit). I use Navigon on long trips and TomTom in town ;-)

Anyway back to TomTom, are you seeing any lag in the menu scrolling ? I started noticing that recently on my 3Gs. I wonder if it's not occurring while traffic is being updated.

About traffic I wish there was an option to just be informed of delays on your route and not let it recalculate automatically. To avoid that the only setting I found was to turn off traffic completely.

Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2010 :  15:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No lagging of my 3GS menus, at this time ... still gathering traffic experiences; but good point

We did have a traffic server issue in the US (or at least in Chicago)... for 24hrs mid-Tues to mid-Wed, traffic login didn't work and resulted in no traffic incidents ... TomTom support was aware of it by Thurs morning (not aware of it Wed afternoon/evening), fixed by mid afternoon Thurs.
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2010 :  01:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is traffic now free with TomTom or do you have to make a separate purchase?
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2010 :  14:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
separate purchase ($19.99/year), but in my early comparisons (and i need to spend more time), looks to be more accurate than Navigon/INRIX ... and provides traffic data on some heavily travelled surface roads too
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2010 :  14:12:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by navxguy
well, today AroundMe updated w/ integration with TomTom. Now I can choose whether to route and navigate via Navigon or TomTom from AroundMe.

Thanks for pointing it out, updated AroundME too and found the new menu to send the destination to TomTom, can come in handy in case they have more/different info than Google Local.

Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 08 mai 2010 :  14:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good point on Google Local w/in each app ... i found Navigon's Local Search not so user friendly, so AroundMe was a nice addition; however, i do think TomTom's Local Search is a little easier to use.

that said, i have always been a fan of "seeing" the search results on the map so that i can pick the specific location of my destination before navigation ... and for that reason i prefer AroundMe (or Maps) interface
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  06:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TomTom iPhone v1.4 is out
quote:
New Features:
· Select Car icons
· Night View Menus
· Ability to Phone Contact
· Markers in Browse Map
· Rich POI support
· ECO Routes support
· “Share your Route”
· Navigate to Coordinates
· TTS expansion (various new languages/voices)

Improvements:
HDT Quality Improvements (traffic on more roads, other improvements)
Improved house number entry layout
Collapse keyboard in Search view
TTS additional settings (disable Traffic messages, Street names or Street numbers)
Various UI improvements
Support URL’s in Google details
Snap to current voice when entering voice selection menu
…many more

Above added by GpsPasSion
Original message : Full set of new features, as well as new maps, and i especially like the 'background' mode ... background instructions and getting back into app takes literally 1 second. nice update TomTom; and more quickly than Navigon on capitalizing on iPhone 4 platform - impressive[ed]
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  11:41:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Navigon beat them to the punch last year when GPS assisted guidance appeared on the iPhone with OS3 but they got a headstart this time ;-)

Note that TomTom have updated the maps with each new update, this one has the v850 (TeleAtlas 2010.03) recently made available for some AIOs, Navigon on the other hand are still using the maps from the June 2009 version! Let's hope they fix that with the upcoming v1.6 version...

TomTom's new "send route" feature is nice to let relatives/friends know that you're on your way ;-)

Go to Top of Page

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  17:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The application has been updated for OS4 new version is 1.4. Available from Itunes as a free update

From Itunes site updated features for 1.4:
Seamless navigation while calling (3GS & Ipod Touch)
New Updated Maps
Background navigation instructions (3GS & Ipod Touch)
Route sharing with contacts via email
Departure reminder
ECO routes
Car Symbols

download was about 1.3G
once you update you will loose all of your favorites (don;t know how to prevent)
If you have a current traffic subscription that too will be lost, however,
Go to main menu
Open traffic,
click on the link to your email on the bottom and all be come back

you will have re-set all your preferences

Since multi tasking works, once you close out of the program (it is still running), double tap the home button, the program will appear in the tray (with all the other running programs) touch the icon and hold down till a ' - ' appears and then hold down on the minus symbol and the program will close out.
Go to Top of Page

pltvu

22 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2010 :  17:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomtom V4 and iphone 3G iOS4 is not working for me. I called Tomtom and the answer is Apple problem!! I cannot get GPS signal at all. I reset/reload, no gps lock. GPS lock fine weith other Nav Apps. It worked fine prior to update to V4/iOS4. Anyone with 3G phone has this problem?
Go to Top of Page

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2010 :  17:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same issue. When first turned on it showed some place in New York City. Turned iPhone off (reboot) then put in a navigate to address and waited about 3 min and all is now fine.
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  14:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and since you can control Location Services for each app in iOS4, make sure you have it turned on for TomTom ... TT prompted to use Location Service during initial load; and if by chance, someone said "No" to that question then you need to go into Settings/General/Location Services to turn back on.
Go to Top of Page

pltvu

22 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2010 :  22:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you.
Location Service shows status ON under "General Settings" does not means Tomtom location service is ON. One needs to select Location Service (ignore ON status) then find option Tomtom (problably at bottom of all options) select ON. It took me days to find the problem.

Edited by - pltvu on 06 juil. 2010 23:04:30
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2010 :  07:00:56  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TomTom for iPhone v1.5 announced at IFA last week :
- Navigate to a geocoded picture
- iPhone 4 optimizations : retina/high resolution, GPS performance
- New maps : the v855/TeleAtlas 2010.06 made available for TomTom AIOs last week

They are also taking orders for the free iPhone 4 adapter for the TomTom Car Kit, see http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=129583

Go to Top of Page

wombat94

1 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2010 :  14:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded and installed it this morning. I just finished driving in to work with my first morning commute.

I got an iPhone 4 earlier this week, so this was a trip with:

iPhone 4
TomTom USA 1.5
Retina Display
Working Traffic
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

all working together very well... it's great to have working traffic display back, although I didn't have much traffic this morning.

I love having traffic and IQ routes working together, and I am glad that I'll have TomTom's logic for re-calculating routes for updated traffic back.

I'm now going to have to compare side-by-side with CoPilot, which I've been using since they released their ActiveTraffic a while back and I was still waiting for TomTom to fix the traffic. I actually still prefer the way CoPilot displays the traffic in the sidebar, but TomTom's method is acceptable (now that it's working again) and TomTom's traffic and IQ routes work out better overall.

I'm still getting used to the Retina display of the iPhone 4 overall, but I have to say the clarity and sharpness of TomTom on the iPhone 4 is GREAT... very nice maps and the small text of street names is much more readable.

First impressions of speed on the iP4 is very good as well... menus are more responsive than TomTom 1.4 on my old 3gs, and the screen updates are smoother and more fluid while driving.

It's been a long time coming, but I'm happy with TomTom again.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2010 :  09:42:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing. TomTom changed the way they display traffic with the iPhone application compared to what they do on their AIOs so it took me some while to adjust, but the scrolling of the traffic bar actually works pretty well once you have the hang of it.

Go to Top of Page

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2010 :  14:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. That explains why I no longer see the traffic delays like I used too, on the route map by a dashed line. This will take some getting used too. Do you know if the on line manual has bee updated yet (English)?

Edited by - davidt on 20 oct. 2010 14:13:45
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2010 :  04:21:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good question, let us know if you find out ;-)

Users in the FRA forum have just found that you can no longer use custom icons for the POIs you add (either directly on a JB phone or using the "iPhone Disk" or "iPhone Explorer" utilities on non-JB iPhones. You just get a generic icon in the list and a nasty red icon on the map as seen below, and yes I tried to put the .bmp file everywhere I could thinkg of in the app's folders !

Go to Top of Page

mikealder

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  12:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just rename the bmp files to png and they will work on the map but they still don't show correctly in the menu, it also supports the X2 larger icons used for the warnings (top left corner) but these also have to be renamed to png in order to work.

To get warnings working copy a MapSettings.cfg file with configured POI warnings from a PND to the iPhone app (see pgpsw for the specific location) - Mike

Edited by - mikealder on 13 nov. 2010 22:20:39
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2010 :  06:21:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up, that's a nice find, should have thought of using he mapsettings.cfg of another device, TomTom just took out the menu, how silly of them...

One of the guys in the FRA forums is having problems with MapSettings.cfg - he can't get his favorites to get saved once he adds them, maybe his MapSettings.cfg got switched to read-only somewhere in the process. For the x2 size is it still RF-090.png and RF-090_x2.png ?

Go to Top of Page

mikealder

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2010 :  11:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassionFor the x2 size is it still RF-090.png and RF-090_x2.png ?

Indeed this is the case for the x2 icons, have a watch of it in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVj9YOXK30

Have you got a link to the thread where the MapSettings.cfg isn't working? To be honest now we can get third party POI's on the unit why not suggest he converts his favourites to an ov2 file and add that to the map folder, probably an easier and more reliable method.

Taking the MapSettings.cfg file off a different device is what I have been doing to get working POI warnings on the Start/ Ease for some time so this was really just a logical extension - Mike

Edited by - mikealder on 14 nov. 2010 11:23:11
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2010 :  03:24:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep makes sense all of a sudden ;-) Is that your video?

As for the problems using another mapsettings.cfg, it's a post in the FRA forums - Cédric clarified he can save his favorites but not his home address, has to reactivate HD Traffic each time he launches the app and apparently can't deactivate the TomTom cameras.

Go to Top of Page

mikealder

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2010 :  10:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I filmed that in my own car last Saturday morning. Now looking in to why the icons don't show in the menu screen and why they are so small on an iPhone 4 (new toy only one day old).

Having had a look at the thread you linked to my initial thoughts about the MapSettings.cfg not saving settings is possibly due to the Navcore being run on the device the file is being taken from - Mike
Go to Top of Page

Raca

France
247 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2010 :  12:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my iPhone 4 I had to quadruple the size of the icons - going from 22x22 to 44x44 - in order to have them displayed in a decent size.

Edit: I just resized them to 32x32. It is smaller but now they are displayed at the same size as the standard POI icons from TomTom.

Edited by - Raca on 21 nov. 2010 15:32:35
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 déc. 2010 :  21:13:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
v1.6 now available with new features like Mapshare.

Go to Top of Page

mikealder

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 20 déc. 2010 :  21:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MapShare working and if you install third party custom POI files the icons now show correctly in the menu screens (unlike 1,5) - Mike
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2010 :  00:23:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, even though they still need to be BMP's renamed to .png for some reason ;-)

I take it the maps have been updated to v860 too?

Go to Top of Page

Bivotar1

33 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2010 :  08:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

I take it the maps have been updated to v860 too?

Yes They are
Go to Top of Page

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2010 :  20:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in the map view there are two new symbols on the bottom.
1) speaker with a line thru it, I take it that it means you are on mute, for when I raise the volume it goes away
2) what looks like a bolt of lightening with a line through is no bluetooth connected, goes away when connection established.

Now you can switch between bluetooth sources while connected
1) walk into car and the ford sync makes the connection phone is BT to car
2) turn on the Jawbone and the phone will conect to the jawbone
3) start TomTom and plan a route, have the radio on, you get radio via the radio and the turn by turn via the jawbone
4) Phone call comes in and you have choice menu now, Jawbone, sync, iphone or speaker on Iphone
Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  02:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
v1.8 update

TomTom HD Traffic Service Now Available on the TomTom App for iPhone

~ More TomTom Drivers Gain Access to the Most Accurate, Comprehensive and Up-To-Date Traffic Information Available ~

CONCORD, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--TomTom today announces that its newest update to the TomTom App for iPhone, version 1.8, now includes TomTom HD Traffic compatibility. TomTom HD Traffic enables drivers to get to their destination faster and is the most accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date traffic solution available.

TomTom HD Traffic provides the most accurate traffic solution by reporting and capturing more actual traffic jams than ever before to help drivers avoid delays and find the fastest routes. Only TomTom HD Traffic will recognize traffic conditions for both major and secondary roads within the U.S. road network to help re-route drivers clear of traffic. Additionally, with traffic updates every two minutes, TomTom HD Traffic will help reroute drivers around traffic more quickly and get them to their destination faster. TomTom HD Traffic is an optional service available via an in-App purchase.

Expanding the availability of TomTom HD Traffic is one of the commitments that TomTom has outlined in its Traffic Manifesto, which is the company's mission to reduce traffic congestion to everyone. Drivers using TomTom HD Traffic are helping reduce traffic congestion for themselves and every driver around them. For more information about TomTom's Traffic Manifesto, visit www.tomtom.com/trafficmanifesto.

Also new to the TomTom App is multi-stop routes. This innovative feature makes it easier for drivers to make multiple stops on a single route by letting the user add up to five stop-off points when they plan their journey. This new App release also gives users the latest map which includes recent changes to the roads.

Availability

The latest version of the TomTom App for iPhone is available on the App Store starting today.

The TomTom App for iPhone v1.8 is available for purchase via the App Store. Continental and regional versions of the TomTom App are available today for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod touch users at www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app.

TomTom HD Traffic is available via an in-App purchase for $19.99. Current TomTom Traffic subscribers will be automatically upgraded to TomTom HD Traffic service for no additional charge.

Edited by - caryrae on 28 juin 2011 23:26:39
Go to Top of Page

rickgtx

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2011 :  14:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Custom POIs for 1.8 uses the 24 bit png for the icons like 1.7. However, searching for a custom POI shows only one ones that are less the 30 miles away from your location, city, or home.
Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2012 :  11:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much data does this use in the US? TomTom has some fairly small numbers online for the UK, Western Europe, Germany etc but does not mention the US.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1576/?locale=en_GB

Also I understand the maps are on the unit so what about Map updates?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2012 :  12:22:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't have it on my iPhone right now but must be around 2GB of data, quite a mouthful...when they update the app as the whole lot gets updated, software and maps.

Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2012 :  08:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Offthegrid is asking how much data is used by the traffic reports in the US. The table he linked is only for Europe. He is not asking how much storage the app and maps take up.

I don't know the answer.
Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 04 juin 2012 :  05:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This link shows the US in with Western Europe and only 2.4/mb usage.

Are the map updates free or are you buying the app again in order to get the new maps?

I want to put this on an iPad mini when it hopefully is released.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4355/~/how-much-data-usage-does-tomtom-traffic-generate%3F
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2012 :  19:53:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So far the map updates have been provided for free with the software updates that are also free. Navigon for iOS started like that too and then introduced a map subscription. Since TomTom owns TeleAtlas that provides the maps for their app I guess they can keep on providing that type of free update.

Yes data usage is really minimal and goes unnoticed with the current data plans, it would have been different on my first 5Mb GPRS data plan though in 2003 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

bcope01

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2012 :  16:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
iPad mini

Bill
iWAY 500C
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05