Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2221

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin Traffic : Clear Channel vs Navteq
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 12 mai 2009 :  18:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the unit powered on, connected to the GTMxx receiver and receiving traffic:

1. Go to the map screen
2. Touch the "speed" display to go to the Trip Computer screen
3. Touch and hold the large round speedometer gauge for approx 6-7 seconds
4. Touch the "next" button to advance to the "GTM Info" page.

The left-hand column under "FM Table" displays the available stations/channels that are broadcasting traffic data and that are seen by the GTM xx. The list displayed is of stations/channels your unit is able to select from. Here's an example of what you'll see (will vary according to your area, traffic provider & subscription):

TTN-LAX3 103.5 6/6 $

Description of above (AFAIK):
TTN = Total Traffic Network, Navteq = Navteq
LAX3 = Region name (the numerical value will change)
103.5 = Station/channel frequency
6 = Station/channel ID (6: TTN, 7: Navteq, 12: unknown)
6 = Location
$ = Identified/verified/locked stations/channels usable by GTM xx

You can also see what station/channel is currently being used for traffic data on the previous "GTM Status" page in the right-hand column under which will look like:

Channel: 152(102.7)

This will change according to which station/channel is selected from the FM Table list on the "GTM Info" page. At bootup, the FM Table is scanned and (I believe) the most powerful station/channel is selected by the system to provide the traffic data. I also believe (but have not verified) that the system is able to switch to a different station/channel automatically when the signal goes below a certain level and/or another stronger station/channel is available in the FM Table. The FM Table is also re-scanned periodically (you'll see the FM Table being refreshed) but I'm unsure of the exact frequency.

If you have two traffic subscriptions on your GTM xx as I do (original Navteq Lifetime subscription unit with additional Clear Channel Lifetime subscription) the system will decide which subscription is used for traffic data and is NOT selectable by the user in any way that I know of. The first & strongest signal will be the deciding factor on which is used. However, if the stronger stations/channels consistently belong to one provider, the system will purge the FM Table of the weaker stations/channels. For example with my GTM 20, Clear Channel is dominant in my area...I seldom, if ever, now see any Navteq stations/channels in my FM Table where I used to see them quite frequently. And yes, both subscriptions are indeed valid, usable and seen by the system.
----

Additional info: Clear Channel/TTN vs Navteq traffic (Los Angeles area)

In the Los Angeles/Riverside, CA area, I get the following stations transmitting traffic data:

Clear Channel Lifetime (Los Angeles)
92.3 94.1 98.7 99.1 102.7 103.5 104.3 105.3 (8 stations)

Clear Channel Lifetime (San Bernardino/Riverside)
92.3 94.1 98.7 99.1 99.9 102.7 103.5 104.3 105.3 (9 stations)

Navteq Lifetime ad-based (Los Angeles)
91.9 94.9 97.3 100.3 105.9 (5 stations)

Navteq Lifetime ad-based (San Bernardino/Riverside)
100.3 (1 station)

You can see that Clear Channel is the clear winner as far as transmitting stations are concerned, at least in my area and I find that it's well worth adding the Clear Channel lifetime subscription in addition to the GTM 20's Navteq subscription just for the additional and wider coverage.

If you'll be using a Navteq only GTM 20 with a 760, you may in fact need to purchase the Clear Channel lifetime subscription to add to the GTM 20 since the 760 has no means to display the ads that the Navteq subscription relies on. I am not sure of this because I am running an old firmware version (v3.20) on my 760. When I used it with my Navteq only GTM 20 (before adding a Clear Channel lifetime subscription), traffic data was very sporadic, incomplete and definitely not working correctly. After adding the Clear Channel lifetime subscription, traffic was verified working correctly. Newer firmware versions (4.xx) for the 760 may have fixed this but I really do not know. Maybe a 760 user with firmware v4.xx with access to a Navteq only GTM 20 can comment on this.

You may get wider coverage using Clear Channel but this will depend on your particular area (Clear Channel is -much- better in my area).

Clear Channel Traffic coverage map:
http://www.totaltraffic.com/CoverageAreas/

Navteq Traffic coverage map:
http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/

----

Additional info regarding multiple subscriptions on one GTM 20 (4/8/2009)

You can purchase a Clear Channel lifetime subscription and apply it to a Navteq only GTM 20. I have done just that on the GTM 20 that came with my 765T. Two subscriptions are on the unit, Clear Channel & Navteq.

You can also purchase a Navteq only GTM 20 direct from Garmin and add a Clear Channel subscription to that. Yes, this really is a Navteq GTM 20; read the fine print and note the price compared to the Clear Channel GTM 20.

Navteq GTM 20 - $119.99 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36249
Clear Channel GTM 20 - $214.27 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=403

You can also purchase a Navteq subscription and apply it to a Clear Channel GTM 20. That does not make much sense though unless coverage for your area is better using Navteq. The system is auto-sensing (with no option to the user as to which subscription/provider will be used) and will choose the provider with the strongest overall signal if you have multiple subscriptions.

See https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=268 for available traffic subscriptions.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 12 mai 2009 20:02:56

Ads

juanvaldez

2 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2009 :  19:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used both Clear Channel and NAVTEQ. I had CC on my previous Nuvi 660 and NAVTEQ on my new Nuvi 765T.

For me, Clear Channel gave better coverage, but less accurate traffic data. The NAVTEQ worked great in LA, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, and Chicago, where the traffic data was almost perfect. The traffic jam began where it told me and ended where it predicted.

Thus, I'm going to keep the NAVTEQ sub that came with the device. I found that its information is superior to the CC info.
Go to Top of Page

AdamG

29 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2009 :  19:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also had both. I live in Albany, NY where there is very predictable traffic and I haven't noticed much of a difference in terms of coverage and quality in my area.

I now use the lifetime Navteq traffic. The signal is not very strong even though their online map shows I should be getting a great signal from all the FM stations around. I've been within 10 miles of a transmitter and haven't had a solid signal sometimes. Also, the traffic info is almost never correct. If I drive south on I-87 anytime at night, it always tells me there is a 5 minute delay, EVERY NIGHT no matter what.

I've been using Google Maps Mobile on my phone and the traffic info now provided by Google is more accurate and more informative than Navteq 120% of the time. Granted, you can't get Google traffic on a GPS, only a compatible phone, but it is still better than the Navteq data for me.

FM traffic is outdated, the bit rate is so constrained and the delay in getting incident info to the GPS is too long, it also doesn't take weather into account. On the other hand, Google is based on mobile users and other sources that give a more complete picture of traffic.
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 31 déc. 2009 :  16:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamG

I've been using Google Maps Mobile on my phone and the traffic info now provided by Google is more accurate and more informative than Navteq 120% of the time. Granted, you can't get Google traffic on a GPS, only a compatible phone, but it is still better than the Navteq data for me.

i completely agree, unil i compared Google Maps to the free INRIX Traffic app on iPhone (may be available on other mobile devices - don't know) ... I found it better than Google Maps - more precise and timely data (plus it's used in Navigon for iPhone which makes a great overall solution)

back to the tread, it's been awhile since i used CC, but when given the option of CC vs Navteq, i'd go w/ Navteq due to more coverage and integrating traffic seems to have become a strategic priority for them ... should continue to get better and better

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
493 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2010 :  05:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Metro Vancouver, coverage is worse with CC/TTN. There were lots of listings with Navteq but once the TTN subscription is added, the incidents or advisories are very few.
On another note. I went online to view live traffic info from Naveteq: http://www.traffic.com/ I noticed there were more traffic reports than those indicated on my 765T. For example, there was border traffic info online but none on my Nuvi. Go figure.

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 17 janv. 2010 06:40:40
Go to Top of Page

BabyDoc

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2010 :  15:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't understand how Navteq or Clear Chanel get their traffic information. Do people call it in somewhere? If so, the radio stations seem to get the reports faster than NavTeq. I get good Navteq coverage in the Cleveland area, but the information is seldom helpful or up to date. Last week, I was stuck on a freeway near Mayfied, Ohio. There was truck jacknifed across the highway and holding up traffic for miles. The traffic was at a standstill for 30 minutes and my Garmin 1490T was still showing a green icon. The car's AM radio was reporting the delay, but the Nuvi still wasn't.

Using Garmin Nuvi 1490T - Firmware 3.90

Edited by - BabyDoc on 18 janv. 2010 15:13:30
Go to Top of Page

JeffGoobs

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2010 :  19:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I might be confused about something. I own a 765T (which obviously comes with the free lifetime NAVTEQ traffic GTM-20.)

I just purchased the Clear Channel TTN subscription via the Garmin website. I activated it using the instructions, and the unit now has both traffic networks listed. I then purged the list of FM stations the unit had already built up so that it could start fresh.

Why would I still be getting ads? I'm totally frustrated, as 1/2 the reason I bought this was so I could have my unit advertisement-free.

Didn't I read multiple times that if you purchase one of the lifetime subscriptions, that the ads would then be eradicated?

Pardon my ignorance,
Jeff

EDIT: I'd just like to update everyone on my experience with this.

I called Garmin Support today to ask them about this issue. For the record, buying a Clear Channel subscription when you have a free lifetime NAVTEQ subscription which came built-in to a GTM-20 (ie- any GTM-20 which came with one of the units with 'T' in the model number) *WILL NOT* get rid of the ads.

When I asked about why people have been reporting otherwise, they told me that the only way that could occur is if the Clear Channel service is the one which is being used due to a stronger signal. So it looks like the reason several people have reported never getting the ads to pop up again after adding a paid Clear Channel subscription is simply because their units have only been accessing Clear Channel since.

So when the unit is accessing the NAVTEQ-based free traffic, even with a purchased Clear Channel subscription, the ads will still appear. It just so happens that in my area of Denver, the NAVTEQ feed seems to be the stronger signal.

The solution? The only way to TRULY get rid of the ads with the free NAVTEQ subscription is to add the PAID NAVTEQ subscription instead. Luckily, Garmin Support was very helpful, and they supplied me with a paid NAVTEQ code to add to my account due to the misinformation.

Now, lo and behold, the ads are gone.

Edited by - JeffGoobs on 26 janv. 2010 03:56:43
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
493 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2010 :  07:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Now if there only was a way to force the Nuvi to choose whichever traffic provider you wanted to use.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2010 :  06:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The zumo 660/665 apparently already has a feature to select between traffic providers on multiple subscription GTM traffic units. Nothing like this for the nuvi line though...

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 27 janv. 2010 06:16:06
Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2010 :  00:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious if Navtaq traffic or the traffic on the 1690 get traffic information sooner. One of my complaints is that you are well into a traffic area before the system seems to see traffic data. I just went from Cincinnati to DC and back. In Columbus I think I was out of the area before traffic info. With DC, I was 20 minutes into the metro area before I got any traffic signal. It seems the units do not use GPS info to determine that there is a traffic service available.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

j_skaggs

77 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2010 :  02:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1690 and use it daily here in the San Francisco Bay area. The traffic has been very timely and accurate. The traffic icon on my 1690 is displayed within minutes after I set my route. I am very happy with the traffic on my 1690. I had clear Channel on my 660. It was useful but, not as timely or accurate as my 1690.
Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 28 févr. 2010 :  00:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about when traveling - city to city.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 01 mars 2010 :  21:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't have a lot of city-to-city experience with our 1690 just yet, but from a data reception standpoint, it gets it's feed from AT&T Edge network which has very good coverage ... i'd expect it to provide data earlier ([edit] farther from the city) than an FM broadcast, but someone else will have to confirm.

Edited by - navxguy on 01 mars 2010 23:42:26
Go to Top of Page

JeffGoobs

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01 mars 2010 :  23:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For whatever it's worth, my traffic data with a 765T (with subscriptions for both NAVTEQ and ClearChannel) updates within about 10 seconds of the sat lock.
Go to Top of Page

tedmozer

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2010 :  19:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that the included traffic alerts that came with my 265WT are worthless. At least along the Mid-Atlantic I-95 corridor. I get yellow and red alerts when there are no backups. I get green icons when traffic is at a standstill. Is it that the alerts are too delayed to be useful? I just ignore them currently.....

Ted Mozer - Brick, NJ
Garmin nuvi 360 - Garmin nuvi 265WT
Garmin Forerunner 205
Go to Top of Page

AdamG

29 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2010 :  18:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have decided that the reason the Navteq traffic is free is because everyone would be asking for a refund if they tried to sell it. It is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS. I have been debating over the last several weeks to actually turn the traffic service off. I have had the free service for 7 or 8 months now and it has yet to be correct a single time. NOT ONCE. I live in Albany, NY which isn't exactly known for its traffic but I-87 does get backed up southbound in the morning and northbound in the afternoon. There is never a delay listed when there is one in reality and there is always a delay when there is free flowing traffic. I have learned to completely ignore warnings that have the three little car icons meaning slow traffic, as they are always wrong. One night about a week ago, my GPS showed me encountering a 41 minute delay on I-87 at midnight. The traffic on I-87 at night is barely one vehicle per tenth of a mile. My trip was a 41 minute trip so what the traffic data did was just double my time for a reason that is beyond me.

Also, there has been a lot of construction on I-87 around Albany lately as they are completely demolishing and replacing a large bridge overpass. Every weeknight there are at least double lane closures on the highway and some nights all three lanes of the highway are closed and all traffic must take an exit ramp before getting back on the highway past the construction. Not once has the traffic data even mentioned construction or lane closures. It just tells me to keep left on the highway. If I followed this advice I would be running into barriers and ROAD CLOSED signs as well as probably being arrested.

More importantly, further north, another bridge was taken down. I used to go across this bridge every day but now that it is gone I obviously have to take a different exit and a different route. However, regardless of the fact that the bridge is gone, the GPS still tells me to take it. It reminds me of those reports on the news where a person's GPS tells them to take some road and gets them in trouble because that is what Garmin and Navteq will tell you to do. I know better because I travel the roads frequently but anyone in an unfamiliar area SHOULD NOT follow the directions using the free Navteq traffic "service" because they are always wrong. I usually don't use the words never and always to describe a service like this but in the 7 months I have used the service it has NEVER been correct and has ALWAYS been wrong.

Edit to include link to a video I took with my cell phone to show the GPS telling me to take the bridge that no longer exists. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ_aPoAyBLM)

Edited by - AdamG on 26 avr. 2010 19:00:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05