Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2207

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GPS Programming
 Programming Hints and Tips
 Sirf Titan GPS NMEA command set docs?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2009 :  01:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where can I get the command set documentation for the Sirf Titan? I can successfully get commands from the GPS on my HP iPaq 310, but I want to send commands and also parse special NMEA commands.

Ads

gpspassion

93940 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2009 :  02:04:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't see them documented anywhere so you'd need to ask SiRF. What commands are you getting on the iPaq 310 ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2009 :  13:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've already gone to the Sirf website. They have a "Customer Zone". To enter the "zone" you need to have purchased a Sirf evaluation kit. I assume this kit is a circuit board of some sort..... I have no desire to spend a couple hundred or whatever to get in there..

All I want is the NMEA command protocol. I don't understand why this seems to be a guarded secret like area 51 or whatever..... With other Sirf products like Sirf III, the command set is readily available. Not sure why they seem to be discouraging little guys like me from developing little apps for the thing.

If you use the GPSViewer that comes on the iPAQ (need to use CE Commander to get to it) you can see a whole slew of NMEA commands that stream in from the GPS.

Also, commands I send to the GPS, like the usual Sirf WAAS enable or whatever, don't seem to be received, because I do not get a response.

Ironic, whenever I turn on my iPAQ, the "welcome" screen says "HP - Invent". It should say "HP - Do not Invent"
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93940 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2009 :  21:47:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember that the Titan platform was originally developed by Centrality who may not have documented commands like SiRF did for SiRFstarI/II/III.

What kind of app are you trying to develop ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2009 :  00:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Maybe that explains it. Sirf bought Centrality, but the GPS core in the Titan is from Centrality, and is not a SirfIII. I thought it was a SirfIII; I don't know where I got that idea.

I changed my Google search from "Sirf Titan GPS" to "Centrality Titan GPS", but I still can't find the command set. I guess it's no real big deal, cause I have the interface working, but it would be nice to get the command set.

I have a little app that allows me to plot my position on a map imported as a BMP, and I can mark stuff on it. I just did a project were I marked trees and other landscape items for a Master plan.... Like Ozi, but more stripped down and specialized....
Go to Top of Page

denti13

France
137 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2009 :  18:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Have sent an email to Sirf for SirfTitan platform documentation : never had answer.

@+

Christophe
Go to Top of Page

dhaluza

7 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2009 :  00:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also looking for the NMEA commands to turn off the track smoothing and to turn on WAAS on the Ipaq 310. I contacted SiRF, and they sent me the "SiRFtitan GPS V5.2 API User Guide" but this does not have NMEA type commands. They also sent me their generic NMEA command set, but these commands do not seem to work on the Titan engine in the Ipaq 310.
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2009 :  15:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting.... If the documentation did not have NMEA commands, what did it have? Binary?

I suppose I should try Sirf again. Like I said, I could not get into the "Customer Zone" without having bought the eval kit, but maybe if I specifically ask them for the GPS docs, they will send me the command set.

You make an interesting point about the "track smoothing". I've used my 310 for a while now, and it appears to have a form of static navigation enabled. I've been through this saga before with MTK units, and I won't go into it here, but basically it's freezing the position if it thinks you are still. For automotive use, this is not a problem, but for other things, like geocaching or precisely locating something, like a tree or feature, this is annoying. Wish I could turn it off.

I really like Sirf III units, cause they have this turned off by default. I think the SirfTitan does not have a SirfIII embedded in it; I think it's from Centrality.....

Oh yes, I have never seen WAAS on this unit either. It must be disabled or not even there.

Edited by - musky on 06 avr. 2009 15:44:57
Go to Top of Page

dhaluza

7 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2009 :  03:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It had Application Program Interface (API) commands, for example:

BOOL SetSBASType(int sbastype)

Which indicates that the SiRFtitan is WAAS capable.
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2009 :  18:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What API are they talking about? Is this an interface specification to a dll they supply?

Crimony, it'a an uphill battle trying to work with a closed architecture like this. I've temporarily thrown up my hands on this. I think I'll send Sirf an E-mail at some point and see if I can get any info.....

Edited by - musky on 08 avr. 2009 18:35:08
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2009 :  23:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a couple of months, so I guess it's time for me to ask again.... Does anybody have a link to the Sirf Titan GPS command set documentation? Or is it still top secret :)
Go to Top of Page

freewing

Italy
8 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2009 :  09:22:32  Show Profile  Visit freewing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I'm a glider pilot and I use the iPaq 314 (SiRF Titan 600 / WinCE 5.0) to fly with a dedicated software.
I even have a great problem because of "static navigation / dead reckogning" that badly affects flight informations.

I'm doing some tests to compare different chipsets, and the problem appears evident.

1. Does anyone found a solution to disabel this option?
2. Is there a Centrality eMail support to contact? I can't find it...

Thanks a lot!
- Enrico

Edited by - freewing on 24 sept. 2009 09:24:24
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93940 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2009 :  09:26:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums.

I'm surprised "static navigatin" would be a problem at high speeds, do you have specific examples ?

As for Centrality they were bought by SiRF a couple of years ago so you'd to try to contact someone over there but I doubt they take requests from end users.

Go to Top of Page

freewing

Italy
8 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2009 :  10:21:05  Show Profile  Visit freewing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
REALLY THANKS for the welcome!
In fact I'm reading this forum since some years, but I never registered. Now, here I am.

Well, I'm not sure if the problem is linked to "static navigation" or - as my friend from D-S-X says - to "dead reckogning".
The huge problem is that when I turn (this can happen between 80 Km/h and 170 Km/h, generally going ug/down from +/- 0.5 m/s to 7 m/s) the gps "invent" few points on the direction I'm arriving, so that the thermal circles appears elliptics.

That causes some indeterminations: i.e. of where exactly I'm turing respect to the ground (a kind of problem for competion turnpoints), at what speed (!), where is the thermal core (?), and the calculated wind can result quite wrong.

With a clean (not filtered) signal given from an external gps all these datas become believable; instead with the internal SiRF Titan gps the result datas are not affordable.
While you're in the air it is better to get few, but clear, informations.

Suggestions?

Edited by - freewing on 24 sept. 2009 10:27:25
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93940 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2009 :  10:46:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see, rather than "dead reckoning" it's probably more the way the navigation software of the chip works, remember that platform was designed with car navigation in mind where you have "snap to road" to erase these problems, so they probably compromised on the raw accuracy for higher sensitivity. I can't see what could be done at your level.

What kind of external GPS are you using ? I take it you've loaded maps on the iPaq, with OziCE ? I would think the best solution would be for you to use a Windows Mobile PDA with Bluetooth, well probably a WM Smartphone now as PDAs are basically gone and connect to that receiver.

Go to Top of Page

freewing

Italy
8 Posts

Posted - 29 sept. 2009 :  11:47:12  Show Profile  Visit freewing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it exactly is a problem of filters set in the firmware of the gps. I'm looking for some software that dialogs with this chipset, but... still found nothing.

I just performed a test with 2 gps: one iPaq 314 (internal gps), and one with external gps bt (a GlobalTop G66): the two tracks are "illuminating"!

If you're interested I can post them with a link (2 igc files).

- Enrico
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05