Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1942

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin "nüMaps Lifetime" Subscription
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  22:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What might make this subscription worth purchasing are quarterly POI updates (if the POI database is also updated quarterly). Case in point, Metro Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI built a new main hospital south of Grand Rapids and relocated to it in May 2008. Our Nuvi’s still shows the hospital located in Grand Rapids vs. Wyoming. So, if you are driving North on US 131 and your passenger has a heart attack at the M-6 interchange, our Novi’s are going to direct you to drive north an additional seven miles vs. taking the M-6 west exit and driving only two miles to Metro. In the above hypothetical case, the update would of course be worth the $120.

Garmin Nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  00:37:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
POIs being "built-in" the maps they would certainly get updated too, however what gets updated is always a bit "up in the air", no details are ever given by Navteq/TeleAtlas or the GPS companies. Still one would hope that "major" POIs as in your example would get updated. Actually you can look up http://maps.live.com/ to see if they fixed this in the latest Navteq maps.

By the way the Press Relase is >> here << for reference.

We'll see how much interest that program generates but Garmin certainly needed it since TomTom launched their yearly update program last year and also have MapShare, but I think the best part is the arrival of quarterly map updates for all Garmin systems and therefore one free update via "nüMaps Guarantee" if you time your purchase right ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  01:21:41  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually moneywise and if you travel to EU (or to US) nüMaps Lifetime™ North America and Europe seems like the best deal for "just" $150. Compare this to $120 for NA and to $140 for EU separately. Somebody like our dear gpspassion (who I assume frequently travels to NA) can get lifetime NA updates just for $10 on top of EU lifetime.

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  01:29:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not as often as I'd like, but working on it ;-) Anyway yes the Transatlantic program is excellently priced!

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  01:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waaah. Looking at the list of devices (now that the page is public), the 2720 is NOT listed. Just the SP C series and the Nuvi's.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Garmin SP2720/7.20 Firmware/GTM-12 (5.50)/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 1690/3.90 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 3790T/4.70 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  02:01:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't remember if the 2720 uses NT maps ? I thought that was the "ticket" to access the Lifetime program.
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Not as often as I'd like, but working on it ;-) Anyway yes the Transatlantic program is excellently priced!
I hadn't thought of it at first, but you'd probably need to own a 370/770 device to be able to subscribe to this option? In other words I don't think it's a way to add coverage to a non-transatlantic system.

Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  02:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Can't remember if the 2720 uses NT maps ? I thought that was the "ticket" to access the Lifetime program.

It does use the NT Maps. Maybe they just didn't include it in the list, maybe they won't do it. I have a friend that is at CES, and asked him to ask Garmin. I guess we'll see on the 22nd.

Garmin SP2720/7.20 Firmware/GTM-12 (5.50)/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 1690/3.90 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 3790T/4.70 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  03:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatorguy

DerbyDad, I hear from TomTom owners all the time that just have to have their latest map, and that's 4 times a year as well. Yeah, I think quite a few owners will jump on this. <snip>

gatorguy (and gemro311):

I believe you may have missed the point of my post. I too think quite a few owners will pay the $120. In fact, I am considering it.

My point was that I don't think too many people would pay the $70 every quarter to stay current. That is how they appear to be trying to sell the lifetime product.

"Why pay $280 a year forever when you can pay $120 once." I'm simply saying that few, if any, people would pay $280 a year forever.

Would the Tom Tom owners you know pay $70 a quarter to stay current?
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  03:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least two that I know of bought 2 updates in one year, the last one for $130.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  04:17:06  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I hadn't thought of it at first, but you'd probably need to own a 370/770 device to be able to subscribe to this option?

Or own EU or NA map on SD that you bought separately?

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  04:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatorguy

At least two that I know of bought 2 updates in one year, the last one for $130.

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

I'll assume they paid around $200 for both upgrades. What do they do with their GPS's that justifies that type of expense? I'd also like to know if there were enough updates to make them feel it was worth the cost.
Go to Top of Page

alokeprasad

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  12:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by klopus

quote:
I hadn't thought of it at first, but you'd probably need to own a 370/770 device to be able to subscribe to this option?

Or own EU or NA map on SD that you bought separately?

Not according to https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=256&pID=33381#requirementsTab or https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=256&pID=33380#requirementsTab

"This map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device. For example, a Garmin GPS device preloaded with North America maps only cannot be updated with a nüMaps Lifetime Europe Map Update, and vice versa."

But then in the Compatible Products tab they list units that don't dome with both maps pre-installed, like the 765T.

Confusing ....
Go to Top of Page

dmorack

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  01:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are Nuvi 350 owners out of luck? I don't see that model listed in the Product tab.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7636 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  02:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect you mean 360. I see the 350 listed under the product tab for both the above links but not the 360. On the other hand why wouldn't the 360 be listed when all the other 3xx models are? Somethings not right on those web pages I think.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

jharris2

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  03:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alokeprasad,

Agreed. Plus, I added Europe to my North American 350 and it would be great if I could keep both sets updated via the lifetime maps.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05