Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2298

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 GPS Dataloggers and Geocoding
 [TOPIC] Genie GT-31 and BGT-31 Data Loggers
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

gpspassion

94032 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2008 :  17:39:58  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums, haven't seen that problem so can't really help sorry. You might want to try the usual tricks, disonnecting, rebooting, turning off the GPS, etc...it could a hardware problem too. These devices seem to be a bit "flaky".

Been having some problems of my own :
1. Can't convert any files, nvk.exe crashes almost immediately, running WinXP SP3, even with the latest v2.31 version dated 08/2008
2. It took me serveral tries to upgrade to firmware v1.2, not sure why !
3. Can't get Realspeed to work, it asks for a serial number upon boot, can't see anything in the manual, is it maybe on a flyer in the box ?
4. After downloading a track with Navilink it seems there are in fact 3 types of tracks, those recorded on the SD, those in memory and those in the track page, a bit confusing, or maybe I've missed something.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ark19

16 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2008 :  17:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me the easiest way to acquire the data is by using the memory card.
Under memory card/log switch/ choose the on-fix option.
Under NMEA Items I chose SBN 5sec. The rest is OFF.
File Size = Card size.

To extract data to PC, switch off the unit, remove SD card and use a card reader to read it.
Copy the .SBN file into ur hdd.
Launch NaviLink II, goto MISC tab, click on the convert button for SD Card Data (SBN/TXT).
Prog will prompt for the SBN file. Just select the file and it will convert it into:
KML, NMEA, PLT and GPX file.

Btw, f you want a better KML file, use GPSBabelGUI to convert the GPX to KML. It's much better :)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94032 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2008 :  18:00:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan except it won't work for me as I can't get the converter to run on my computer with WinXP SP3 :-(

I have switched to "card size" though to avoid having all these bit and pieces. I will then feed the NMEA file into a converter likg LogConvert http://benichougps.blogspot.com/2005/08/logconv-v1.html or BT747 for Gmap output.

With "card size" there might be a risk of losing the log if you run out of batteries though, I remember we discussed this earlier in the topic but don't think we reached a definitive conclusion.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpsfish

3 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2008 :  18:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys.

gpspassion

Yep, rebooted a few times, removed driver, reinstalled, downloaded latest one from the site. Still no luck. Hopefully the SD card method will be fine, I am away for 3 months from next week,so no opportunity to RMA before I go (eeek!).

Did this on two different machines with different os.

My first port of call was going to be the firmware update, but since i can't even connect....

Think I go dud :(

ark19

Will give the SD card a go tonight see how the info collected today turns out.

Thanks for the KML Tip.

Go to Top of Page

ark19

16 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2008 :  18:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I'm still in SP2. SP3 had made my office PC a tad funky :( For me, I'm using the BGT-31 as a jogging logger and for geotagging. For Geotagging on holiday trips, once I reach the hotel at the end of the day, I'll transfer the files via SD card to NextoDI. So I think it should be quite safe :)
Hmm GPSBabel cannot convert SBN files...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94032 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2008 :  19:32:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think SBN is a proprietary format. Not sure SP3 is causing the problem here and if it is it shouldn't ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpsfish

3 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2008 :  23:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Still haven't had a chance to look into the special use of Doppler on the GT-31, I wanted to do that today, but I found my test unit to be completely locked up with the time displayed and frozen. Couldn't find a reset button, I'll try to remove the battery if no one has a better idea.

ARGGHHHH frustration

I am on my Third day in Paris, The GT-31 had logged the first two days fine, with me copying the SD card each day to the computer.

To day I check the device a few times including late in the afternoon. It was working fine.

Unfortunately I have now gotten back to my friends place and the device is frozen in the satellite view. :(

Nothing I try (pushing buttons, plugging power/computer) will release it.

I have tried the SD card, there is a file but it is empty :(

I had the log set to CARD SIZE.

I am off to Portugal tomorrow morning, not sure if I can find a screw driver to pull the battery :(

DAMN DAMN DAMN..... really wanted the log data for my photos from today and what I would have got tomorrow :(
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94032 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2008 :  00:29:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes the screws are tiny, I had to dig deep to find a screwdriver that did the job. Removing the battery set it straight it though, hope it's the same for you.

Still hoping someone can shed some light on the installation of RealSpeed, I couldn't find a code in the box or docs. Problems converting the SBN and SBP files too.

Go to Top of Page

GraemeG

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2008 :  04:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the reference above to new firmware for the BGT-31. We are about 4 weeks away from a 2 month trip through South Africa and Namibia and was a little reluctant to fix something that wasn't broken but finally decided it might be worth the risk.

Gpspassion, it also took me a second attempt to get the firmware to update to v1.2. No idea why.

I haven't noticed any obvious changes for the functions I use. I tried leaving it on the window sill to run the battery flat again. This time it was a little over 28 hours, slightly down on the 30+ hours I have seen in the past but it was only a single test. Still more than enough life to suit my needs.

One thing worth pointing out is that there was no NMEA file on the SD card when I powered it back up. The binary file on the internal memory was intact and this where I could see the 28 hours of data. In the past I had set the SD memory card file size to 128KB and it left these files intact, and even a partial file, when the battery ran flat. This time I had the file size set to "Card size" and got nothing.

I think I will try running the battery flat again with the file size set to something less than card size and see what happens. In any event I would recommend you avoid letting the battery run flat if you are logging to an SD card.

But keep in mind that the internal log seems to survive the power failure and can be copied to the SD card at any time from the data logger menu.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94032 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2008 :  11:33:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for testing that, I was also wondering about the status of an SD log in case you lose power.

Have you been able to install RealSpeed ? Any issues using the converting SBN and SBP files ?

Go to Top of Page

dws

20 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  16:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I've been using my device pretty regularly now that I have the replacement unit in hand. I have been using 128KB NMEA text files logged to my SD card. I decided to go this route to avoid having to use the somewhat flaky NaviLink software, have the ability to swap to a new card during long trips, and to ensure I have many individual files in the event that one gets corrupted. Having a single large SBN (or NMEA, for that matter) file made me nervous because I didn't want to lose all of my data during a long trip. I've never had an issue with files being erased or corrupted during a loss of power.

I just installed RealSpeed from the website directly with no key. I have not been using it as part of my work flow because speed data is not that interesting to me. When I used it, however, I was able to see Doppler speed data.

I haven't had the issue of my device freezing, but the prospect of it makes me nervous. Has anyone let the battery die and then recharged it to see if that fixes it? I don't really want to have to carry a small screwdriver with me on long trips, but maybe that's not a bad idea.

If anyone is interested in me re-posting my workflow and the scripts I'm using to process the many NMEA files, let me know.

Edited by - dws on 23 oct. 2008 16:15:23
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94032 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  16:25:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes that would probably useful, thanks. Also, I'd left some questions for you on the previous page concerning the new version of your script and its Gmap output.

For the battery, I had thought of letting it drain, but it didn't seem to be in a hurry to do that, if it happens again, I'll try that approach.

Didn't realize you could run RealSpeed without a key, but that would be the downloaded version only as the one on the CD just won't run without a key. Will give it another try. Does it get the data live from the GT-31 or does it work with logs?

Go to Top of Page

dws

20 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  17:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think RealSpeed will take live data from the GPS, but I don't know for sure. I just gave it a GPX file as input.

Here's an updated zip file containing my script and other necessary files. I'll copy and paste my workflow description from my blog below.

I have recently switched GPS data loggers from my trusty GlobalSat DG-100 to a Locosys BGT-31. The main reason for the switch was so that I could use external memory cards to store the data on long trips. I am very impressed with the BGT-31, but it isn't without its challenges. The main issue I have with it is that it either creates a binary file that you must read with their software, or you get NMEA text files. In order to minimize losses in the event of file corruption, I keep the log files to a maximum of 128KB. This can result in many files over the course of a long trip.

In order to geotag my photos from a trip I prefer to use GPicSync, which is easier to use with a single GPX input file. In order to create that single GPX file from the many individual NMEA text files, I use GPSBabel. GPSBabel is great, but there is no native way that I have found to easily select a bunch of input files from the command line, so I wanted something to automate it for me. I finally gave up finding an existing tool to do this, so I wrote a little batch script to do it for me. You can download a zip file containing the script above. Basically, here's how I use it:

Place the batch file into your GPSbabel directory (I assumed C:\Program Files\GPSbabel\). Add the registry key to your registry at "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Process GPS Files\command." You will now have a right-click context menu option titled "Process GPS Files" when you right-click on a folder. Right-click on the folder containing your NMEA GPS files, select the "Process GPS Files" menu option, enter your desired output filename, and hit enter. This will produce a GPX file in the parent directory of the folder you selected. Use the GPX file as input into GPicSync, and as a single backup file.

After a trip I also like to generate a Google Maps file showing the track I took during that trip. In the past this could be a tedious process, as it required me to run my GPX file that I generate with GPSBabel through yet another application (DGManager.NET), and even then, there was some HTML editing required to get things just right.

I finally automated the process with the help of trusty GPSBabel, their XCSV style files, and some JavaScript. The hard part stemmed from the fact that GPSBabel does not have a way to pass the GPX 'bounds' element into the HTML file. This data is important to define the boundaries of the Google Map and the appropriate zoom level for your data. I finally wrote some JavaScript that handles this. My XCSV file can be downloaded in the zip file above and used with your own Google Maps API key (see the comments in the file for the correct location).

I added the following line to my original batch script to create the Google Maps file in addition to the GPX file:

"C:\Program Files\GPSbabel\gpsbabel.exe" -i gpx -f ..\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%.gpx -o xcsv,style="C:\Program Files\GPSbabel\google_maps.style" -F ..\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%.html

With this updated script, I now have a very short workflow to take a bunch of NMEA input files and create an optimized GPX file and corresponding Google Maps HTML file for posting online.
Go to Top of Page

GraemeG

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  23:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I contacted Locosys again as I had noticed that if you use the keylock function and then bump the thumb stick, the backlight comes on and doesn't go off. I was already on what I thought was the latest f/w V1.2 B0922 but he directed me to http://mtbest.net/setting-up-navi-GT31.htm where I could download V1.2 B1003.

I haven't loaded it yet as I was trying another test, letting the battery run down when the file size was set to 1024KB. I was logging NMEA to the card and SBP binary to the internal memory.

Curiously, this time it seems that nothing was lost from the SD card. I ended up with four files, three of 981KB and the last one of 946KB. ie a partial file. The last time stamp in the NMEA file was the same as the last time from the binary file. So it seems that the data on the card is safer if you specify a file size other than the card size. I will ask Locosys if this is the case and whether they can make the card size option more tolerant of the battery running flat.

Once again it managed about 28 hours. When I first tried this I was getting about 30 hours. I don't know if this is due to the firmware change or whether a bit of use and the deep cycles have reduced the battery capacity.
Go to Top of Page

dws

20 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2008 :  06:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've updated my files one more time with some enhancements. The new zip file is located here.

The Google Maps HTML files I was getting from multi-day tracks were way too big and were basically grinding my browser to a halt. I used the GPSBabel simplify filter to remove extra data points which greatly reduced the resulting file size. I also added some statistics to the map, including:

-Date and time for start and end points for each day
-Altitude for start and end points for each day
-Maximum (yellow marker) and minimum (blue marker) altitude for each day
-Distance traveled in a given day - shown in the end marker balloon
-Total trip distance traveled for all days - shown in info panel
-Button to show/hide the track lines in case you want to see the name of a road, for example
-Button to show/hide an info panel in the lower right corner with total trip distance and coordinates of mouse/last click

The resulting code is a huge hack, as I haven't coded formally in a long time, but it seems to work for me! I'm interested in feedback and ideas for additional functionality if anyone has used this.

Edited by - dws on 26 oct. 2008 06:39:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05