Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2266

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 TomTom AIO Forums - www.GOTomTom.com
 Custom menus for your TomTom
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2007 :  02:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who don't know, the TomTom GPS'es are actually little Linux computers inside, and quite a lot of things can be customized to suit your personal needs. The menus are one very useful change which you can easily implement. Unfortunately, the default structure buries some of the most commonly used commands on page two or three of the main menu. For me, two of the most important commands are clearing the active route and browsing the map, so I've moved them to the first menu page on my 920T.

If you have the remote control (included with the 920T, optional on other models) then the first item on the top left of the first menu page is particularly significant because punching the center cursor button twice on the remote will execute this command; I put Browse Map there on my unit.

There are at least three different ways to customize your menus that I know of. First, there's the free TomTom Menu Designer software which runs only on Windows PC's: http://xxx.gregoryduncan.com/ttmd/index.php

Next there's an online application which will build custom menus right in your web browser: http://www.skux.net/tomtom/menubuilder2/index.php

I haven't tried either of the above personally; since I'm an old time unix geek I prefer to just dive in there with the vi text editor and build my own menu by hand. All the info you need to do that can be found here: http://www.opentom.org/Menu_structure

As an example, here's my own custom menu for the 920T:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Menu 1 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Menu 2 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_2D3D|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main Menu 3 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

HOWEVER there are some important caveats to consider before attempting any of this:

1. If you aren't comfortable messing with system files on computers, don't do it... it's highly unlikely, but you could make your unit non-functional by messing with it. Do a full backup of your GPS before creating custom menus.

2. These functions are part of the SDK which TomTom released for earlier versions of their system software. The latest version (Navcore 7) doesn't fully support this hack unfortunately. All of the functions in the examples above should work as expected, but some of the newer features can't be accessed in a custom menu. Specifically, "Help Me" and "Correct Map" aren't supported, so you will no longer have these features on your main menu if you build a custom menu. But there are work-arounds. You can correct the map using the cursor menu in the Browse Map screen. If you have a 920 or 720 you can add Help Me to your quick menu and access it there, but other versions of the TomTom don't have Quick Menus.

3. To expand a little on #2 above, there are a few preference items which aren't supported by the custom menus also. I would love to put the command to enable/disable autozoom on my first menu page but it's not supported. Because of this I have NOT customized my preference menu.

Finally, if you decide you no longer want the custom menus, or if you have problems it's very easy to revert to the defaults. Just delete the folder "sdkregistry" from the root directory of your TomTom and everything returns to normal. But realize that will also remove any 3rd party applications you may have installed on your TomTom. Actually, on most models all you should have to do is remove the "TomTom.mnu" file to revert to the default. However users report that some versions of the TomTom One will no longer have the Help Me function unless the whole sdkregistry folder is removed.

Enjoy!...

Edited by - Boyd on 21 déc. 2007 02:19:17

Ads

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2007 :  11:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried this and can attest that it absolutely works. I have a TomTom One 3rd Edition, and the Itinerary planning was not there (although it was there on my TomTom One). This was my original main menu:

Followed these directions and now it looks like this:

You can see that I now have Itinerary planning again, and from the numbers at the top I now have 3 pages to the main menu rather than 2. I did lose the "Help Me" and "Map Correction" menu items as warned, but I can live with that. I should probably remove the "phone" icon because there is no bluetooth on this model.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2007 :  22:20:56  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, stickied ;-)

The "browse map" is a must have on the first page !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2007 :  23:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at NeitherFanboy's menus it makes me wonder... if they can fit 6 menu items on that page, why can't we have 8 menu items on our widescreen TomToms? Or even 10? I'm going to have to read the docs on this a little closer to see if I've missed something because 6 items seems pretty limiting and results in extra screen taps for page turning.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2007 :  04:02:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think so, the icons were made larger on the 16/9 models ;-)

I hadn't customized a menu since v5 on PDAs and I seem to be missing something to make it work on the 720/v7...

Let's see :
1. Need an \SDKRegistry folder
2. In that folder you need a TomTom.mnu file

Anything else I'm overlooking? With that structure it boots straight into the original menu oddly enough.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2007 :  04:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's odd... I don't think you need anything else - works for me on the 920T as you have described. My guess is that something is wrong with the TomTom.mnu file, from the SDK docs, "A customized menu for the TomTom GO is defined in a text file, which is read at start-up. If available and correct, the menu defined in this file will show instead of the default menu. " I had that happen to me at one point. Try starting with a new file and paste in the example from here: http://www.opentom.org/Menu_structure
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2007 :  04:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, here's another very helpful link I should have posted earlier - the documentation for the TomTom SDK: http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/PRO/TomTomGO-SDK6_Documentation.zip

After un-zipping see configuration2.html for detailed info on custom menus

Edited by - Boyd on 24 déc. 2007 04:50:27
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2007 :  05:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to change my options around, tried to re-add that Help Me function by guessing at its name. Didn't work, so the One 3rd Ed. just loaded its default menus. Then I tried to take out what I did, same result, TomTom loaded its default menus. So I started over and I am back in business. Point: even if you get it wrong, you can just delete the mnu file and your back to original.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2007 :  13:21:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, something must be wrong with my TomTom.mnu file, maybe the windows notepad isn't doing a good job, odd though because it seemed to work a few years back.

Could you upload your TomTom.mnu file using http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14251 so I can make sure there isn't something else at play?

Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2007 :  20:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Copied mine up, you can find it as: http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/TomTom.zip

Edited by - NeitherFanboy on 24 déc. 2007 20:44:39
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2007 :  01:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this: http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/TomTom.txt
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2007 :  01:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeitherFanboy

Went to change my options around, tried to re-add that Help Me function by guessing at its name. Didn't work

I don't think there is any secret command which will add that function back. I'm pretty sure that the new Navcore 7 functions can't be accessed by the custom menus because they're implemented some other way, although Navcore 7 continues to support the version 6 commands.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2007 :  08:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question would be, why did TomTom remove the Itinerary planning item from the standard menu ... without that change, I wouldn't have a custom menu. But if I have to run a few errands dropping things off from place to place, I would create an itinerary rather than re-routing when I reach the first destination. So if the "ability" is still there, why is the menu item missing?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2007 :  16:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume it was a marketing decision to differentiate models. I don't really understand TomTom's confusing lineup. At Best Buy they sell both the One LE and One 3rd Edition for $150. What else is different about these models?

But Itineraries are one of the Navcore 6 legacy functions, which is why you can add it back to your menu. The Navcore 7 functions like disabling autozoom, helpme and correct map seem to be implemented completely differently and cannot be accessed with a custom menu.
Go to Top of Page

NeitherFanboy

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2007 :  18:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No bluetooth on the 3rd Ed. while the LE has bluetooth. No SD card slot on the 3rd Ed. while the LE has one. I purchased an LE for my parents for Christmas, but when I went back to get one for myself, BestBuy was out so I bought the 3rd Ed. I would have thought those two additions would have been enough to distinguish the LE from the 3rd Ed. without TomTom removing a function which the unit is capable of. Very strange decision on TomTom's part.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 30 déc. 2007 :  02:15:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, something must have been wrong with my file, these definitely work !

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05